Page 1198 of 1198 FirstFirst ... 19869810981148118811971198
Results 41,896 to 41,928 of 41928

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

I just called youi again. Said it would be kept in a marina and not a swing mooring. I now have 3rd party 20million cover.. thanks Bruce and all!!!!!!

Well done. And good luck with the boat. If she's well built, which mostly means no wire too close to the surface, she should be good for a long time yet.

I would have suggested Youi. Im insured with them.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Geftb View Post
    I just called youi again. Said it would be kept in a marina and not a swing mooring. I now have 3rd party 20million cover.. thanks Bruce and all!!!!!!
    Sweet. Well done. More pictures please when you get time
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    I would have suggested Youi. Im insured with them.
    Have you ever made a claim? I have heard some, admittedly anecdotal, horror stories about them here in NZ.
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

Another project and someone who sounds very keen to sell. Not as huge as that big Danish trawler in Sth Aust, but an extensive renovation needed of what looks like a very well built boat. Looks kind of twisted too. In real estate parlance, a fixer-upper.

Listing is HERE.
    Basics are described as "...a 23ft Tas Huon yacht hull with a god-awful concrete keel. .........

Sources tell me this boat is a Port Philip 21 refitted in 1948 by a young bloke called Stan Taggart. ..........

Another bloke called John Clayton bought the boat in the 1950's, added another 300mm of timber around the top of the hull, added a cabin and the concrete keel and now at 7.12m long and 2.27m beam he renamed Winsome 2, Elenara.

The hull next turned up in the 80's as Merlin (currently named) and has gone downhill since then until it is in it's current state."

be sad to see it put out to pasture.
    hull3.jpghull1.jpghull2.jpg
    Last edited by Chris.; 04-19-2018 at 02:22 AM. Reason: Bad photo posting.

My friends Keith and Ann Davis late of Pelican's Slipway, Redland Bay are seeking to sell their 23 footer. This boat is in beautiful condition, Keith built her and he knows his stuff. So if anyone knows someone wanting a small but capable yacht, please tell them and me.

The design is a Len Randell "Rugged".

And no, I wouldn't be game to moor a yacht in the Tweed (Gary's anchorage in the boat harbour is excellent!)

'' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Stiletto View Post
    Have you ever made a claim? I have heard some, admittedly anecdotal, horror stories about them here in NZ.

I've heard those horror stories too. I haven't been able to find any first hand stories of them yet and I would really like to corroborate them if possible. If I need to move insurance to someone else I'd like to know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Nice, Peter! You should buy it and stop prevaricating about the bush.

Chris, it's awful!! The Danish one too - looks like all the fastenings are rusty to me.

Rick

Yep, Peters one is lovely. I like Randell boats. The Danish one is just huge and beyond anything any sane person would take on. Perfect for a crazy bastard with great shipbuilding skills, immense dedication and deep pockets. The little one on hay bales, not worth a cracker.

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    Sweet. Well done. More pictures please when you get time
    Cheers. I don't really have any other pictures at this time. Did you see the google link in my post above? It is a short movie of her on launch day

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Nice, Peter! You should buy it and stop prevaricating about the bush.

Chris, it's awful!! The Danish one too - looks like all the fastenings are rusty to me.

Rick
    I would , I would but where to moor her ? The river is not on!
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    My friends Keith and Ann Davis late of Pelican's Slipway, Redland Bay are seeking to sell their 23 footer. This boat is in beautiful condition, Keith built her and he knows his stuff. So if anyone knows someone wanting a small but capable yacht, please tell them and me.

The design is a Len Randell "Rugged".

And no, I wouldn't be game to moor a yacht in the Tweed (Gary's anchorage in the boat harbour is excellent!)

You could have a mooring at Boyds Bay, very sheltered. Spots on the wharf come up but it would be $80 + a week.
    It really is a beautiful boat.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

$80 is a lot on the Age Pension!
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    I would , I would but where to moor her ? The river is not on!
    Moreton Bay, of course! That's where you'd be sailing anyway, and from there you have access to a whole raft of nice options.

Rick

Yep, an exposed anchorage 120 km away. Lemon Tree Passage sounds good.
    Grateful Dead

Very Nice, ferro if done right can be a good solid and low maintenance hull material. Love the gaff rig. Insurance is a hard problem is aussie for any older boat these days unfortunately.

There is another Randall in reasonable shape for sale next to Wee Barkie. Well that didn’ t turn out very good was supposed to be a video!

There are quite a few of the 23 footers around, the one I posted is probably the best I've seen. It made a voyage to Honiara once is pretty trying conditions. The design reminds me of a small Vertue.
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Chris. View Post
    Another project and someone who sounds very keen to sell. Not as huge as that big Danish trawler in Sth Aust, but an extensive renovation needed of what looks like a very well built boat. Looks kind of twisted too. In real estate parlance, a fixer-upper.

Listing is HERE.
    Basics are described as "...a 23ft Tas Huon yacht hull with a god-awful concrete keel. .........

Sources tell me this boat is a Port Philip 21 refitted in 1948 by a young bloke called Stan Taggart. ..........

Another bloke called John Clayton bought the boat in the 1950's, added another 300mm of timber around the top of the hull, added a cabin and the concrete keel and now at 7.12m long and 2.27m beam he renamed Winsome 2, Elenara.

The hull next turned up in the 80's as Merlin (currently named) and has gone downhill since then until it is in it's current state."

be sad to see it put out to pasture.
    hull3.jpghull1.jpghull2.jpg
    21 foot restricted class?

"Not long after 1900, a class of yacht appeared on Hobson’s Bay (at the northern end of Port Phillip) called the 24 foot Square Sterner, which appeared to be comprised of the best characteristics of the established style. These were first class yachts – shallow draughted boats that also had a fair turn of speed in light wind conditions and that were inexpensive to build.
    But in 1909, local designer and builder Charlie Peel built two smaller versions of these yachts – Namoi, for himself and another member of the Port Melbourne Yacht Club, and Idler, built for the Mayor of Brighton. These two boats, each with a waterline length of 21 feet, proved themselves to be excellent racers as well as displaying the best seaworthy characteristics of the traditional style.
    "
    http://arhv.anmm.gov.au/en/collectio...stricted-class
    Last edited by skuthorp; 04-19-2018 at 06:25 AM.

If the Randell must be on a mooring does that mean she's traditionally built?

Reminds me of a Blythe Spirit. Funny that.

Quote Originally Posted by Small boats rock View Post
    One would think so.

21 ft restricted, good fleet at Goolwa still.

Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    There is another Randall in reasonable shape for sale next to Wee Barkie. Well that didn’ t turn out very good was supposed to be a video!
    She caught my eye when she was at the Ivory, lovely shape...and shes for sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    One would think so.
    In that case the storage options are a bit limited. Moorings are rare as hens teeth over here in the west ever since that godforsaken mining boom. Since you blokes live in a much more populous area I can only imagine what the mooring situation must be like in the east... ?

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    One would think so.
    Pressure impregnated hoop pine over spotted gum, copper fastened. I was there when she was built.
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Small boats rock View Post
    Myrtle is carvel built has had several planks replaced by her ship wright owner who also added a cleverly designed cockpit cockpit that drains. Sorry unable to place the owners name.

It's not too bad, because we've got many more extensive waterways - even in Sydney there are places you can slot straight in. Of course there are also other areas, mainly more convenient and better-sheltered bays, where you can put your spot in the waiting list in your will for your great grandchildren to enjoy.

At Batemans Bay there's no waiting list; same as some places in Port Stephens, Yamba etc. My boat's on a commercial mooring in Port Stephens and there's no waiting list where I am, but a few hundred metres away where there are islands that shelter the moorings from the west the waiting list is effectively decades. My spot's exposed to the westerly but still, put down a good mooring and find a spot a little bit further south and it's no huge hassle.

Well that sounds pretty encouraging... looks like I didn't need to build a small boat after all, just needed to get out of this bogan infested state, head east, and buy a Randell.

and WA is the place to find a Randell too, he was a WA designer and a lot were built in the West.
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    21 ft restricted, good fleet at Goolwa still.

Well spotted!
    Once you mentally remove those 7 or 8 extra planks the hull shape looks spot on.
    But you'd have to be really keen to even think about it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes I read a good interview with him, no idea where to find it, but he was commenting on the history of his involvement with fishing boat designs over here and responding to changing demand over time... an interesting bloke.