Page 1240 of 1268 FirstFirst ... 2407401140119012301239124012411250 ... LastLast
Results 43,366 to 43,400 of 44367

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

''This way madness lies ".Lear.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    ''This way madness lies ".Lear.
    Which path would you choose madness or money
    Another picture.

[IMG]photoupload[/IMG]

I'd be looking for a hull without the worm damage, worms are just plain terrifying !
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    I'm not sure I could bother building a boat around a Gardner. But it really would make a great centrepiece in our new room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Damn - you've just given me an idea. I've been moving junk around. I've got a "spare" LC8 KTM V twin engine. Methinks it's time to turn it into a conversation piece for the bar. Either glass-top coffee table or wall mount.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

Did you see the thread on blenders?

Did you see the thread on blenders?
    That might be a step too far. It would be nice to whip out the crankshaft and mount a clock in there though - maybe even make it an outside clock
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

Btw the first H28 built is (was?) up for sale - and it has been restored to original
    "Marloo"

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    A pseudo-curry requires a whole post to itself. Anything can be a pseudo-curry, even bacon and eggs, unless you're a vegetarian. You just have to start out by saying "I'm going to try to cook a curry," then when you find out you only have bacon and eggs it's really both a curry and not a curry at the same time, until you've eaten it. Like that cat thing.

Just as I suspected!

Rick

I'm not sure I could bother building a boat around a Gardner. But it really would make a great centrepiece in our new room.

Let it goooo ........

Rick

Can we find a modernist curry for Duncan.

Grateful Dead

Wink Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

[QUOTE=auscruisertom;5640235]
    I so want to do this

While mine is not a Gardner but a Bukh so do I , just want to hear it running.

In that pursuit I was up at the crack of dawn heading down to Yamba for a Bukh workshop manual.
    As always these trips are multipurpose and naturally involve stopping at a Marina or two.
    And what do I find at the YYC” Codak “ a Channel cutter I noticed and mentioned when stopping there in 2017.

Since she was on the hard stand and I tend to have selective eyesight when it comes to regulatory signs I had a close look. What a sad sight full of worms deadwood falling apart rudder and all but one or two planks rooted stern some rot and part of the stem with worms and that was the quick tour.
    With the words (I schould have ran )of someones words I know ringing in my ears ,instead I made some enquiries.

[IMG]how to make screen shot[/IMG]
    Hmm I am replying to my own quote ,while the thread focus is dealing with interior Gardner decorating and Curries ?

Annyhow re reading my 2017 description she is Tassie built and has been around the world, her elderly owner died aboard.

Her underwater shape looks fast and reminds me a lot of WB .
    Last edited by auscruisertom; 08-04-2018 at 10:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Let it goooo ........

Rick
    Nah, gooo is bad. Nice clean fresh diesel is good.

[QUOTE=auscruisertom;5640757]
    Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post

her elderly owner died aboard.

Thats bad juju. Felicity has an elderly aunt who lives alone. She fell over in her garden just over a week ago. Managed to drag herself into the house, but couldnt reach the phone. She was there for 6 days before someone found her. Still alive, barely. In and out of ICU at the moment. Anyway, she'll be moving out of the house and the family started packing stuff up today. My job was to remove the carpet she'd been on for 6 days. It wasnt a nice task. Im not sure Id want to go on board a boat where someone had died. Having said that, I got my big steel boat for a good price when the previous owner who had a very close relationship with alcohol fell overboard one night.

Pretty, but the word WORMS is a worry.
    Grateful Dead

The reality is even worse.

WormDSCF3433.jpg
    Grateful Dead

The death on board may just mean that he loved the boat enough to want to pass there. That doesn't have to be bad juju, not at all. Quite the contrary as he may still be around to help bring her back to shipshape. (But that's another subject)
    peter has identified the real problem. You need to find the extent of those worms.

Quote Originally Posted by Geftb View Post
    The death on board may just mean that he loved the boat enough to want to pass there. That doesn't have to be bad juju, not at all. Quite the contrary as he may still be around to help bring her back to shipshape. (But that's another subject)
    peter has identified the real problem. You need to find the extent of those worms.
    Peters picture is reasonably accurate deadwood possibly some keel timbers plus 50%+ planks , some stem,and rudder rebuild.

If WB gets that bad and my friends are in agreement I am requesting a Viking Funeral.

I could think of worse places to die than on board or even overboard of Arawana. Drowning in your own bodily fluids as your kidneys die and your brain bounces into and out of consciousness, with distressed relies listening on in terror, is not an ideal option but one I've sadly witnessed. Cleaning up a death scene is rarely nice.

Anyway, I've done an inspection and unwinding of Arawana's anchor chain and rode today. It was still twisted after the Refuge Cove adventure and I just now got around to tidying it.

I'll be sorting out tools, the lazarette, sheets, inspection of the three bilge pumps and anything that the weather permits me to get to during the week. Fingers crossed for sailing weather next Saturday.

And finally, I'm working up to writing about last winter's sailing adventure and what it meant to me as an ageing unemployed practitioner of anxiety and depression. I reckon I could weave in enough cooking, humanism, existentialism and other philosophical raving around a sailing travelogue to satisfy my own self interest. What do you reckon?

When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

I'm in Bruce. I'm just reading your first book now and loving it. Having an unwelcome guest removed from my skull played havoc with my reading habits for quite a while.
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    Can we find a modernist curry for Duncan.
    A little block of tofu and one cumin seed on a very big white plate, on a concrete bench.

Rick

I'll take 3 please Bruce. As long as recipes are included.

Rick

I could think of worse places to die than on board or even overboard of Arawana. Drowning in your own bodily fluids as your kidneys die and your brain bounces into and out of consciousness, with distressed relies listening on in terror, is not an ideal option but one I've sadly witnessed. Cleaning up a death scene is rarely nice.

Anyway, I've done an inspection and unwinding of Arawana's anchor chain and rode today. It was still twisted after the Refuge Cove adventure and I just now got around to tidying it.

I'll be sorting out tools, the lazarette, sheets, inspection of the three bilge pumps and anything that the weather permits me to get to during the week. Fingers crossed for sailing weather next Saturday.

And finally, I'm working up to writing about last winter's sailing adventure and what it meant to me as an ageing unemployed practitioner of anxiety and depression. I reckon I could weave in enough cooking, humanism, existentialism and other philosophical raving around a sailing travelogue to satisfy my own self interest. What do you reckon?

Should be a good read. But I might skim over the existential philosophical ravings.

That boat with the worms looks completely buggered by the way. Unless it has a Gardner engine in it, which I doubt. Then it might be worth $149.00

Had a call out on Friday night, 26ft yacht 4 nm SE of Cook Island. Engine not working and not making way against a NE wind and choppy sea. We found them and got them under tow.
    20180803_195105.jpg
    Phone is useless for night photography.
    On the way back at 5 knots something with wings smacked into the windscreen...bloody flying fish. I went forward and grabbed and promptly wished I hadn't...really slimy and very strong fish smell.
    20180803_201319.jpg

20180803_212521.jpg

Ended up getting to bed around 10.30pm. Back up at 6am for duty roster so we dropped in to check on the yacht after we had done our run outside. As a thank you they gave us a 30 can carton of beer.

20180804_080941.jpg
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

Well done Gary and the rest of the crew! That's a long way out of range for a VMR rescue boat to go find someone in the dark.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

WTF? Going to be late for dinner, can we have a tow home please? is that a yacht I see in the pic? With sails? what kind of bloody emergency is that supposed to be? They hadnt even run out of beer!!!

I took out the Metho Maxie and sat my new little butane stove in it's place. Talk about fast to boil the kettle! I could read a chapter of a book waiting for the Maxie, I am seriously considering NOT putting it back in.
    20180805_125851.jpg
    Got a number of small jobs done today and one of them was move the VHF closer to the companionway.
    20180805_125905.jpg
    I've worked out the trick to starting my outboard without flooding it. First start..crank over with the chock in, then crank over with chock out. Once it's been started then starting is no problem.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

WTF? Going to be late for dinner, can we have a tow home please? is that a yacht I see in the pic? With sails? what kind of bloody emergency is that supposed to be? They hadnt even run out of beer!!!
    Yeah well I could say more on this, like why put to sea when you know you are going to hit your destination at night and with a wind shift to on the nose. This is my 3rd night assist in as many months. The phosphorescence in the water was pretty amazing...love that stuff.

Well done Gary and the rest of the crew! That's a long way out of range for a VMR rescue boat to go find someone in the dark.
    I was on radar and I couldn't pick them up till we were about a mile off. PD30 can go up to 30 NM out but the furtherest I've been out is 9 NM and that was during the day.

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Yeah well I could say more on this, like why put to sea when you know you are going to hit your destination at night and with a wind shift to on the nose. This is my 3rd night assist in as many months. The phosphorescence in the water was pretty amazing...love that stuff.
    I was once sailing home from Port Lincoln and we had dozens of Dolphin playing around the boat at night. amazing streaks of phosphorescence. similar on the trip up from Tassie, but not quite as many dolphin.

We had radar on our big steel boat. it was pretty useless for spotting traffic. i imagine it would have been useful for navigating near land pre GPS.

Is this a good price for very low hours Yanmars? Im assuming it is.
    https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/curr...nt=61714_18420

Me again. I had a look at that Gardner in the flesh. It's big! Looks like it's been neglected for some time. Couldn't turn the flywheel by hand and a few external levers are stuck. And a couple bent or broken. So basically it looks damned good.

[QUOTE=WX;5640898]I took out the Metho Maxie and sat my new little butane stove in it's place. Talk about fast to boil the kettle! I could read a chapter of a book waiting for the Maxie, I am seriously considering NOT putting it back in.

I don’t blame you I have the top model Maxie with the broiler on WB , it rusts and is not even made out of stainless, presently it’s sitting in my shed after the welds failed on one side during my trip North. It is crap and hard to believe they sell for $700.
    Gas is the best combined with a solenoid shut of switch and vented outside storage for the bottle.