Page 1239 of 1268 FirstFirst ... 2397391139118912291238123912401249 ... LastLast
Results 43,331 to 43,365 of 44367

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

I’m building a new laundry at the moment and doing it with materials at hand, which is working so far as I have quite a mix of timber etc stacked around. Much of which has come via other people’s renovations or left overs from their building projects. Anyway while sorting through a stack yesterday a found a couple of lengths of Merbau decking which is just what I was planning to use in the bow repairs on Redwing, I still need to buy around 16 metres (approx. $100) for the new toe/rubrails but I’m on track for that.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

Hows this for basic?
    20180803_123752.jpg
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

Very Glen Murcott Gary……………...

Just returning from the Sydney Boat Show. What a wonderful reminder of why we like wooden sailing boats.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Just returning from the Sydney Boat Show. What a wonderful reminder of why we like wooden sailing boats.

Rick
    I was at a lunch at Darling Harbour on Tuesday as it was all being set up.
    I could see nothing that would encourage me to actually pay to attend the show. Though there used to be some interesting gear inside the pavilions, often carefully concealed amongst acres of tinnies.

You made the right choice.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Very Glen Murcott Gary……………...
    Yeah but he’s a bit flashy.

This ought to be a good boat:

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/mool...cht/1191249628

Rick

'' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Tom, did you get the hi-res photos? Check your PMs.

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    We were lucky to be able to call the designer of that boat a friend. He was quite low profile really, but his boats usually have very loyal owners because they sail so well. Come to think of it, the finest boat I've ever helmed was his own 35 footer.

It always amazes me, the godawful state so many of these boats are presented in, for sale. I mean, it wouldn't kill them to spend a bit of time and effort to make it look clean, tidy and loved. I always think if the easy stuff like that is in such a chithouse state, what is the important stuff like? And this is one of the tidier ones!

Pete
    Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers!

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    We were lucky to be able to call the designer of that boat a friend. He was quite low profile really, but his boats usually have very loyal owners because they sail so well. Come to think of it, the finest boat I've ever helmed was his own 35 footer.
    Yes, I've always heard only great things about his boats, and model boats.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by epoxyboy View Post
    It always amazes me, the godawful state so many of these boats are presented in, for sale. I mean, it wouldn't kill them to spend a bit of time and effort to make it look clean, tidy and loved. I always think if the easy stuff like that is in such a chithouse state, what is the important stuff like? And this is one of the tidier ones!

Pete
    I agree! You never know what an owner's situation is but why don't brokers send a cleaner in for a day or so? Most of them do little more than SFA for their fees and a cleaner, tidier boat is always going to attract more buyers and $, surely?

Rick

Meanwhile, back on Arawana doing a little bit of a tidy up. Lunch time, so I raided the pantry and made the simplest pseudo curry possible. Basmati rice, tuna, salmon, chilli flakes, salt and pepper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Not sure if I've improved things on Arawana or not. I lightly scraped at flakey bits of sun-damaged varnish and brushed Deks Ollie on the teal cabin sides, trims and coamings. I'd like the varnish to go permanently but I don't have the stamina to sand it all off completely so I'm scraping and oiling and gradually getting there. I want to see the teak looking a bit better nourished before it gets anything more permanent done to it, and there is rot and dings to patch too.

I've got a very special visitor coming to see her next weekend. Fingers crossed for the weather so we can get a bit of sailing.

When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    Meanwhile, back on Arawana doing a little bit of a tidy up. Lunch time, so I raided the pantry and made the simplest pseudo curry possible. Basmati rice, tuna, salmon, chilli flakes, salt and pepper.

A few minutes looking at WBF and suddenly I'm hungry.

How is that a curry?

Rick
    Last edited by RFNK; 08-04-2018 at 03:57 AM.

Fine thanks

Paperback E-book

Yum. Frankks galley.

So I know sod all about Gardner diesels, except they sound amazing. So is this the real deal, or did they make ordinary truck and bus motors too?
    http://www.graysonline.com/lot/0050-...-sa?redirect=0

It looks nice and it's making me hungry too. But - doesn't it have to have curry leaves or something to be a curry? Does it need pseudo leaves to be a pseudo curry or is everything that doesn't have curry leaves a pseudo curry? If you add a whole lot more ingredients does it become a sumo curry?

When I write my Meals I Can Actually Cook book, salmon and rice is going to be a key chapter. But it's going to be the longest chapter if I have to explain how it is or isn't a curry. I was hoping that my chapter on Boiled Egg with Cracked Shell and Wispy White Floaties would be the longest one.

Rick

Please don't interrupt with pictures of horrible old engines as it spoils the appetite and the flow.

Rick

A cleaner prettier version of the same thing? is it a 6LXB?

I mean crikey mate, current bid is $149

I had to use a half a second squirt of Start Ya Basket on Arawana's donk today. If it doesn't start first squirt I freak out. I think that Gardner should never go in a boat.

A curry technically should be a sauce with something solid floating in it. I think the word curry might mean sauce or dysentery or something like that.

Paperback E-book

Quote Originally Posted by MattSplatt View Post
    Tom, did you get the hi-res photos? Check your PMs.
    Thank you so very much they are magnificent and I owe you.

A pseudo-curry requires a whole post to itself. Anything can be a pseudo-curry, even bacon and eggs, unless you're a vegetarian. You just have to start out by saying "I'm going to try to cook a curry," then when you find out you only have bacon and eggs it's really both a curry and not a curry at the same time, until you've eaten it. Like that cat thing.

Paperback E-book

An existential curry.

I'm not sure I could bother building a boat around a Gardner. But it really would make a great centrepiece in our new room.

The foundation of a meal is its carbs, so for example any meal with pasta is italian somethingorother, any baked thing with potatoes is shepherds pie, anything with rice is a curry, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    I'm not sure I could bother building a boat around a Gardner. But it really would make a great centrepiece in our new room.

I think Gary must have a Gardner on his boat 'cause he keeps taking bags of potting mix on board.

[QUOTE=Phil Y;5640204]I so want to do this

While mine is not a Gardner but a Bukh so do I , just want to hear it running.

In that pursuit I was up at the crack of dawn heading down to Yamba for a Bukh workshop manual.
    As always these trips are multipurpose and naturally involve stopping at a Marina or two.
    And what do I find at the YYC” Codak “ a Channel cutter I noticed and mentioned when stopping there in 2017.

Since she was on the hard stand and I tend to have selective eyesight when it comes to regulatory signs I had a close look. What a sad sight full of worms deadwood falling apart rudder and all but one or two planks rooted stern some rot and part of the stem with worms and that was the quick tour.
    With the words (I schould have ran )of someones words I know ringing in my ears ,instead I made some enquiries.

[IMG]how to make screen shot[/IMG]
    Last edited by auscruisertom; 08-04-2018 at 04:24 PM.

[QUOTE=auscruisertom;5640235]
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    I so want to do this

While mine is not a Gardner but a Bukh so do I , just want to hear it running.

In that pursuit I was up at the crack of dawn heading down to Yamba for a Bukh workshop manual.
    As always these trips are multipurpose and naturally involve stopping at a Marina or two.
    And what do I find at the YYC” Codak “ a Channel cutter I noticed and mentioned when stopping there in 2017.

Since she was on the hard stand and I tend to have selective eyesight when it comes to regulatory signs I had a close look. What a sad sight full of worms deadwood falling apart rudder and all but one or two planks rooted stern some rot and part of the stem with worms and that was the quick tour.
    With the words (I schould have ran )of someone I know ringing in my ears I made some enquiries.

Pictures?

Paperback E-book