Page 1238 of 1268 FirstFirst ... 2387381138118812281237123812391248 ... LastLast
Results 43,296 to 43,330 of 44367

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

And the irony is that a pristine environment is completely wasted if it isn't full of boats or used to harvest boat building material... no wonder people end up turning to the pub.

Thats where Balia was built, and where we slip her when we are in Tassie. Well, we used to. We briefly fantasised about buying it several years ago, but in reality, can you imagine? Slipping boats at high tide, any time of day or night, freezing wind blasting in from the Channel, weed and crap blown and washed up on the rails so the slip gets stuck. People pressure washing and sand blasting their boats, dirt, dust and rotting marine crud everywhere. 3 day bookings blowing out to 3 weeks. What a nightmare. Presumably someone with money will buy it and it will no longer operate as a commercial slip. The shed will make a fantastic absolute waterfront house. Private slip for someones yacht. A bit of history, a bit of old working waterfront and a valuable resource for local yachts and fishermen gone. Sad, but inevitable I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Thats where Balia was built, and where we slip her when we are in Tassie. Well, we used to. We briefly fantasised about buying it several years ago, but in reality, can you imagine? Slipping boats at high tide, any time of day or night, freezing wind blasting in from the Channel, weed and crap blown and washed up on the rails so the slip gets stuck. People pressure washing and sand blasting their boats, dirt, dust and rotting marine crud everywhere. 3 day bookings blowing out to 3 weeks. What a nightmare. Presumably someone with money will buy it and it will no longer operate as a commercial slip. The shed will make a fantastic absolute waterfront house. Private slip for someones yacht. A bit of history, a bit of old working waterfront and a valuable resource for local yachts and fishermen gone. Sad, but inevitable I think.
    I asked my friendly marina about the process for cutting up Grantala. He doesn't want that sort of thing done at his yard.... which is fair enough. He did tell me who to speak to, but in the meantime, I've received the quote for road transport for her up to a mate's place near Coffs Harbour. About $6k on one of the best outfits. Add to that the travelift loading and the cranes at the other end.... and maybe a dozen or so sleepers, acrow props, etc. I'm inclined to send her north. Maybe someone driving past will be stupid enough to enquire and give her a new lease on life.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Some of the boats recorded the East Coast Current running at 6 knots!
    That would REALLY slow most boats down!
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

An old friend built and ran a slipway for 20 years or so. A profitable but very hard life. Out of bed at the most outrageous times , as you say, wind and rain and cold night and that was on Moreton Bay. Tassy would be cruel on winter's nights.
    Grateful Dead

Going to buy one of these for the boat till and if I can fix the leak in my Maxie.
    https://www.tentworld.com.au/buy-sal...artridge-stove
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

I chased up the photographer who was said to be shooting the Classics Regatta, and he couldn't get there. So no more photos from the weekend. :-(

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    That would REALLY slow most boats down!

Depends where you're heading...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

True that!

It could be an endless free power supply too.
    Grateful Dead

It struck me as being unusually fast... I will try and verify it next weekend.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

“Hammer of Odin” an Immaculate 1951 Alden Malabar .

[IMG][/IMG]

One for Rick a Stella Folkboat.

[IMG][/IMG]

WB winning the small keel boat division on handicap. Her previous owner Dr Roger Allan managed a first across the line in the same division in extreme weather.

[IMG][/IMG]

Nice photos, and congratulations on the win. Well sailed!

As above

Rick

Nice one Tom, you look rather pleased.

The property is currently zoned "Rural Resource", whatever that means. I suspect it restricts development potential somehow.
    That stretch of the Channel H'way has been rapidly gentrified and while the newer locals might like to see the old shed's appearance improved and even public access provided, they'd likely be keen to stop any new development there. So the usual fight between the locals and developers over zoning and use with an outcome much as Phil predicted. A favourite quote from a former PM is "In the race of life, always back self-interest — at least you know it's trying"

Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    WB winning the small keel boat division on handicap. Her previous owner Dr Roger Allan managed a first across the line in the same division in extreme weather.
    Nice, you look positively elated. A great end to what looks like a great event.
    Whats your spinnaker off? Etchells?

True, but a life well lived .
    Grateful Dead

Probably right! Certainly a larger than life character!

Rick

Photos for Ian as promised:

You'll notice some damage. The outboard was misbehaving on the last outing (Brisbane to Gladstone, Easter) and they hit all sorts of things getting out of the marina.

Off Noosa, they broke a rudder and turned back.

The various photos here are all the same boat: http://www.mycq.org.au/info/boats/90...91-boss-racing

Last edited by MattSplatt; 08-01-2018 at 03:46 AM. Reason: added link

Thanks Matt. She'd really be fun to race.

One of the guys who worked for me when I was in publishing was on a racing cat like that - doing the Honkers to Manila race. At about 1am, they hit a submerged oil tank, of all things - pretty much the same as hitting a container. Plenty of damage, but they made it in on their own. A keelboat may well have met a different fate under the same circumstances.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

Quote Originally Posted by Chris. View Post
    Nice, you look positively elated. A great end to what looks like a great event.
    Whats your spinnaker off? Etchells?
    Thanks Guys. Yes I was over the moon ,and while I always placed second or third in our TVSC Tumbelgum Passage Race we where racing scratch.

Chris the kite came with WB but Etchell would have been my guess judging by the numbers.

Despite being small and full of patches the shape was OK. It goes to show one can still be competitive without a locker full of sails when racing on a low budget sleeper. WB pedigree was an unexpected discovery only once I started sailing with other vessels.

Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    Thanks Guys. Yes I was over the moon ,and while I always placed second or third in our TVSC Tumbelgum Passage Race we where racing scratch.

Chris the kite came with WB but Etchell would have been my guess judging by the numbers.

Despite being small and full of patches the shape was OK. It goes to show one can still be competitive without a locker full of sails when racing on a low budget sleeper. WB pedigree was an unexpected discovery only once I started sailing with other vessels.
    Anyone else thinking of participating?
    We would want an early start Sunday.

Saturday 25 August 1:46 AM AEST 0.28 meters (0.92 ft) Low Tide
    5:14 AM AEST Moonset
    6:08 AM AEST Sunrise
    7:28 AM AEST 1.03 meters (3.38 ft) High Tide
    1:17 PM AEST 0.21 meters (0.69 ft) Low Tide
    4:20 PM AEST Moonrise
    5:28 PM AEST Sunset
    7:50 PM AEST 1.45 meters (4.76 ft) High Tide
    Sunday 26 August 2:18 AM AEST 0.23 meters (0.75 ft) Low Tide
    5:54 AM AEST Moonset
    6:07 AM AEST Sunrise
    8:05 AM AEST 1.09 meters (3.58 ft) High Tide
    1:54 PM AEST 0.19 meters (0.62 ft) Low Tide
    Last edited by WX; 08-01-2018 at 06:14 AM.

We are just below centre in this screenshot of the weather radar pic. A good night to be ashore.

When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Ouch! That could be unpleasant.
    Grateful Dead

That is some front Bruce.

We need some rain. Looks like a nice steady soaking rain too. Had about 50% of normal for this time of year. Forecast is for about 150 mm in the next week.

I hope that rain gets up to inland NSW, they sure need it out there.
    Grateful Dead

I hope that rain gets up to inland NSW, they sure need it out there.
    I'd like a drop or two as well.

True but my dam is still full.
    Grateful Dead

6 am, blowing warm and strong from the north. The front will likely go north of us so inland Vic and NSW may get some rain.

Let's hope they get it. Awful out there now.

Rick

True but my dam is still full.
    My dam is quite low and the tanks are hovering at one third full. We’re thinking of getting a 10,000 litre tank.