Page 1237 of 1245 FirstFirst ... 237737113711871227123612371238 ... LastLast
Results 43,261 to 43,295 of 43555

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    Nah. I won't name it until the cash changes hands. I've stayed in this one before. Top place.

Good. The General Gordon just burned to the ground. You wouldn't have been staying there tonight even if it had been the one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    Good. The General Gordon just burned to the ground. You wouldn't have been staying there tonight even if it had been the one.

A year after the new owners paid $18 million for it. Phew. I hope they were adequately insured.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

A few photos from last Wednesday. The day started out sort of promising wind wise but it was light. We got maybe an hour to an hour and a half light sailing but then it just died away. Graham and I have been trying to organise a catch up for a couple of years, anyway it finally happened.
    Arion a Bruce Roberts Tomthumb 24 built in steel and a flat panel HM (Hasler/McLeod) junk rig. I was quite surprised at how quickly she picked up the breeze when the anchor came up.
    20180725_100053.jpg

20180725_120548.jpg

20180725_144548.jpg

20180725_101927.jpg

20180725_151330.jpg
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

And a couple of atmospheric shots.
    20180725_155223.jpg
    Goat Island.
    20180725_125552.jpg

Okay three shots.
    20180725_131230.jpg
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

Lovely. A very soothing day out on the bay.

I'd buy this but it would mean divorce so I won't

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/pere...oth/1189722000

I don't know if it's timber or fibreglass.

Rick

Great shots of Wee Barkie, Matt! Thanks! She's looking really good there Tom!!

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post

Rick
    i don't think any were built from fibreglass, the standard was 2 or 3mm ply and sometimes taped seams, with as little glue as possible, FG would struggle to compete strength for weight with those big flat panels. There's one new carbon one floating around now however, and the scow moth club on facebook has links to plans and CNC files for some of the designs, with a crew of people keeping the retro dream alive. I miss mine but i'm not sure i'd sail it that much if I got another, it was hard work a lot of the time!
    (hull structure pic from facebook)
    scow moth.jpg

Theres one of those in the club, and we had a whole collection of Moths, including Olive, the 1928 original, at the regatta in January. If that's a ply boat they are VERY DELICATE. An elbow in the wrong place can crack the deck. Missing its tramps. I'd buy it if it was closer. The Vintage Moth mob are very active in NSW, it will find a new owner, as it looks pretty good. One of our blokes was given 2, he was there to buy a tractor and came away with two boats instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    ...whether to just patch up the deck and call it good, vs a full rebuild/restoration. Either is valid.
    I meant to reply to this the other day...

The deck doesn't need patching up from a structural viewpoint because it's solid as. It's edge screwed teak planks currently mostly about 7/8" thick. But it's a mess, has been sanded enough to reveal the lateral screw heads here and there, and leaks like a sieve. It isn't repairable in that sense. I'd replace it in order to have something watertight, and there's only any point in doing that when the rest of the hull is good and she has an interior. So for now... sailing! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post

Theres one of those in the club, and we had a whole collection of Moths, including Olive, the 1928 original, at the regatta in January. If that's a ply boat they are VERY DELICATE. An elbow in the wrong place can crack the deck. Missing its tramps. I'd buy it if it was closer. The Vintage Moth mob are very active in NSW, it will find a new owner, as it looks pretty good. One of our blokes was given 2, he was there to buy a tractor and came away with two boats instead.
    The guy I'm buying the pub from wants one. I've sent him the link and got "that's exactly what I'm looking for" back.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

Rick

My uncle and a mate of his raced them and they built a glass hull version each. I've no idea how they went or what they weighed but they looked incredible. From memory the wide body was slightly bulbous, for want of a better term, at the widest edges both sides.

When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post

Very good move! A tractor would be a bastard to sail.

I'd swap my VJ for a decent Moth.

Rick

But two boats could look outstanding in their field.

Quote Originally Posted by MattSplatt View Post
    I meant to reply to this the other day...

The deck doesn't need patching up from a structural viewpoint because it's solid as. It's edge screwed teak planks currently mostly about 7/8" thick. But it's a mess, has been sanded enough to reveal the lateral screw heads here and there, and leaks like a sieve. It isn't repairable in that sense. I'd replace it in order to have something watertight, and there's only any point in doing that when the rest of the hull is good and she has an interior. So for now... sailing! :-)
    Aha, looks like there's only one way ahead for you.

Very good move! A tractor would be a bastard to sail.

I'd swap my VJ for a decent Moth.

Rick
    All this talk of boats and tractors and divorce reminds me of a joke.

i got a new car for my wife.

good swap.

I'll make you a deal Phil. You tell that one to your wife and I'll tell it to mine.

second thoughts , I chickened out , its all yours.

I would have loved to spend a day in Horseshoe Bay but the Westerly was freshening with a limited opportunity of sailing back to the Tweed today. Departing just after 0700 with the tide shortly tuning in our favour WB and I raced down the Broadwater arriving at the Southport seaway as the Southerly change came through.

The wind gods where smiling on us with an unusually flat ocean and enough Easterly to be able to lay the Tweed Bar on a close reach. A very relaxing sail under autopilot averaging 4.7 knots while catching up on a few siestas .

I spotted a large sail on the horizon heading North which very slowly became larger. This turned out to be Ichi Ban well up front in line honours position moving at about 8 knots finishing the Sydney Gold Coast race. I shouted a welcome to the Gold Coast to the crew huddled on the rail as they passed by me within 40 m .
    Crossed the bar just before nightfall having reeled of around 50 NM in 10.5 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    But two boats could look outstanding in their field.

Rick

The standard view of Wee Barkie from Pixie when going downwind:

By the second DW leg Pixie had caught up a bit, and they were a bit slower getting the chute sorted - with me hoping they would totally botch it ;-) - but it got done and I saw Wee Barkie's stern soon after.

A couple more...

Hope no one noticed the unusual pole position WTF is that a knot ? OK in my defence the sets improved the following day as did the crew .

Simon being used to increase WL while helping correct the poor stay sail set due the slight ben in the furler

This is a classic picture.
    Me playing and sounding like a deck gorilla trying to sort out those very difficult spinnaker sets on a cutter .While WB does have a pole and an uphaul the rest is just improvised. Andrew shown getting ready to jibe the boom has all the makings of a great crew member despite being new to sailing. And I could not have placed as well without Simons help.

A very special thank you to Matt for the professional pictures.

Several pictures of Peter Kerr latest commission a 28’ Lateen rigged Dhow that just finished her maiden sail. She is very tender even with a ton of water ballast . Shortly to be be shipped to the Great Lakes in Canada for her WA owner who just received a transfer. Peter indicated the build and rig represented some challenges as design information on these ancient vessels is sketchy.

[IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    Several pictures of Peter Kerr latest commission a 28 Lateen rigged Dhow that just finished her maiden sail. She is very tender even with a ton of water ballast . Shortly to be be shipped to the Great Lakes in Canada for her WA owner who just received a transfer. Peter indicated the build and rig represented some challenges as design information on these ancient vessels is sketchy.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Interesting boat.

Have you got any more shots of the Boss, behind her?

Peter showing of the neat compact Vetus engine installation..

Ian no all I know Peter may have had something to do with the build since he built the daggers.[IMG][/IMG]

Unfortunatley I missed the shot of the Dhow coming in under sail,
    She would be a handful under sail.[IMG]

[IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

Looking forward.
    [IMG]picupload[/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]Great to see Simon
    smile again after the recent passing of his wife Becky.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    ...Have you got any more shots of the Boss, behind her?
    Ian, I can grab a couple of the BOSS catamaran for you tomorrow. It's owned by the sailmaker Gary Saxby.

After a team meeting and implementation of new spinnaker launching strategies WB boat speed continued to improve the following day.
    Here is Andrew looking confident trimming the Kite.
    Unfortunatley Bronwyn our third crew member and Vegan Chef extraordinary is being camera shy.

[IMG][/IMG]

Ian, I can grab a couple of the BOSS catamaran for you tomorrow. It's owned by the sailmaker Gary Saxby.
    Thanks Matt. That info led me to a small image on the interwebs. Interesting looking racer.

Quote Originally Posted by Small boats rock View Post
    Definitely good to get the dead one out of the system, it would lead to a premature death for the younger batteries. The better ones will just keep trying to charge the not so good one, but will never be able to get it there. Regarding your charging appearing ok, it probably is, but typically what happens over time is that your battery becomes smaller and smaller. Say the battery starts out as a 150 Ahr, in its old age it may still charge ok, but could hold very little, say only 20 or 30 Ahr... and then finally when it is in its extremis there will begin to be difficulty charging at all and the voltage measurable will appear a bit lower than optimal.

My guess is that you may be able to limp along with your current batteries for a while (months), but that it might be worth beginning to work out what you want to replace them with and maybe doing some shopping around. For some reason there seems to be a lot of variation in battery prices even for the same brand and type, so worth doing plenty of homework to find the best place for purchase. No idea what you have at the moment, but I'll put in an early recommendation for Trojan brand. I've had 6 volt T105s in the past and currently a Trojan 12 volt, but can't remember the exact species (a golf cart type, whatever the case). They have been very reliable and easy to maintain. The T105s gave me about 5 years service.
    I think you are exactly right. I want to delay buying new batteries as long as possible, as we are barely using the boat at the moment, just a couple or few short outings a year really. Shes kind of in storage mode until we do the deck and get new sails. Makes a good place by the beach to go spend a lazy day once a week or so in the meantime.

Boatshed anyone? Better than a pub i reckon....

its in Woodbridge, Tassie. https://www.realestate.com.au/proper...idge-202107966

That would be a really fantastic place to live, I reckon.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Chris. View Post
    Boatshed anyone? Better than a pub i reckon....

its in Woodbridge, Tassie. https://www.realestate.com.au/proper...idge-202107966

Gawd, can you imaging trying to keep that operating under environmental scrutiny?

Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    I would have loved to spend a day in Horseshoe Bay but the Westerly was freshening with a limited opportunity of sailing back to the Tweed today. Departing just after 0700 with the tide shortly tuning in our favour WB and I raced down the Broadwater arriving at the Southport seaway as the Southerly change came through.

The wind gods where smiling on us with an unusually flat ocean and enough Easterly to be able to lay the Tweed Bar on a close reach. A very relaxing sail under autopilot averaging 4.7 knots while catching up on a few siestas .

I spotted a large sail on the horizon heading North which very slowly became larger. This turned out to be Ichi Ban well up front in line honours position moving at about 8 knots finishing the Sydney Gold Coast race. I shouted a welcome to the Gold Coast to the crew huddled on the rail as they passed by me within 40 m .
    Crossed the bar just before nightfall having reeled of around 50 NM in 10.5 hours.
    Some of the boats recorded the East Coast Current running at 6 knots!