Page 1275 of 1400 FirstFirst ... 275775117512251265127412751276128513251375 ... LastLast
Results 44,591 to 44,625 of 48997

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Bunnings list them. Kind of a drill bit inside a guide?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tried a normal small bit and it snagged and broke. Bigger bit gets pushed sideways about when it gets through the head I think. As you say, it tears up the rail a bit and I'm sure it leaves enough of an ear on the screw that the rail won't slide up over it.

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

There are also self-centreing drill bits that are basically an ordinary drill bit with the nib of a smaller bit - but I don't know where you'd get one. Any tool shop would have the centreing bits.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    I tried a normal small bit and it snagged and broke. Bigger bit gets pushed sideways about when it gets through the head I think. As you say, it tears up the rail a bit and I'm sure it leaves enough of an ear on the screw that the rail won't slide up over it.

Yep, the starting is the critical and most difficult part. Once you get going with a little pilot hole, it's all easy. Another thing you could try - I haven't but I think it would work, is a good, metal countersink. It would have to be sharp and tough. The centreing bit would be better though, I'm sure.

Rick

PS Whatever you use, start with a centre punch!

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Hopefully next week...apart from Monday or Tuesday, what days are you home?
    Wednesday is it Gary. See you ?
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Now I have to take the outlaws on a city tour ....... good luck!!

Rick

Ooh can you show me too? My phone memory is almost full. I don't need to carry 10000 photos around in my pocket. Want to move all to the cloud ideally. Or to my laptop. Or both. But don't want to do it one by one or sort them or anything. Just move the lot.

If your phone is an iPhone you should be able to plug it into the computer via a USB lead. The computer should detect it as an external drive. If the photos are stored on the SD card you can remove it and plug that into the computer if it has a card slot. You can most likely install an app on your phone for your preferred cloud ie Dropbox. If you want to use Dropbox create an account and install it on the computer. Any files you upload will appear in the Dropbox folder on your computer.
    Trump, a man who can't hold a coherent thought till the end of the sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    With bronze screws, I'd definitely persevere with drilling the heads off. Use a centreing bit - you know those ones that fit in a lathe? Make a decent hole in the screw with that then use a bigger bit to shave off the head. If you carve around the screw, you end up damaging the rail too much. I've tried the drilling approach with SS and found it useless but I use it with bronze and it works really well. The bit needs to be sharp so best to buy a new one!

Alternatively, you can use a small drill bit to form a pilot hole but they tend to be too bendy so the centreing bit is better.

Rick
    Once the head is off I came up with a neat way of removing a broken screw in JIM. I took a 3'' length of thin walled stainless tube, from a car aerial I think, cut little teeth in the end, set in the battery drill and ran it down over the screw. When It got to the bottom of the screw the short grain snapped and I pulled the whole lot out then glued a dowel into the hole.
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Wednesday is it Gary. See you ?
    Wednesday sounds good to me, I’ll let you know when once I’ve consulted the boss.
    Trump, a man who can't hold a coherent thought till the end of the sentence.

DAY 122: Susie Goodall 4th at Hobart film gate

Istvan Kopar ETA at Boatshed.com Hobart Gate Saturday
    Reassuring news from Igor Zaretskiy

Dateline 12:00 UTC 31.10.2018 – Hobart, Tasmania
    29-year old Golden Globe Race skipper Susie Goodall made good use of her time in Hobart to repair her wind vane self-steering and dive to clear barnacles clinging to the bottom of her Rustler 36 yacht DHL Starlight.Golden Globe news.

https://goldengloberace.com/day-122-...qu_AEPKlT1khnk
    Grateful Dead

Thanks Rick. Thanks Peter. Hoping to pull the rail off once the screw heads are gone. Then I can get te screws out with multigrips. Or cut them off.

Of course it might be best to just go in from the side with one of those little jiggly saws. Hmmm.

Phil, have you got one of those old-skool impact drivers that you tap the handle with a hammer, so they impact downwards on the screw at the same time as twisting it out? I had success with quite a few bronze and brass screws that wouldn't come out any other way. A drop of penetrating oil around each screw head an hour before might help too.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Once the head is off I came up with a neat way of removing a broken screw in JIM. I took a 3'' length of thin walled stainless tube, from a car aerial I think, cut little teeth in the end, set in the battery drill and ran it down over the screw. When It got to the bottom of the screw the short grain snapped and I pulled the whole lot out then glued a dowel into the hole.
    That is really clever!

I do have an impact driver. Might try that too. Finished for now. Tool shops are a long way away and I have a sore pinky finger from a disagreement with a gate the other day. It's starting to complain. Off to Tassie tomorrow night so deck work will have to wait. We had quite a bit of rain in the hills last night. Not sure how much down here. Not too much came in. I know this won't be anywhere near perfect but it should reduce the water ingress a bit further on the event of more rain.

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Ooh can you show me too? My phone memory is almost full. I don't need to carry 10000 photos around in my pocket. Want to move all to the cloud ideally. Or to my laptop. Or both. But don't want to do it one by one or sort them or anything. Just move the lot.
    If you have a Gmail account you can use Google Pics app. It does all that automagically - and will even delete the saved images form your phone.
    Download the app, sign in with your Gmail email and off it goes.
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

I've used electric impact drivers and manual ones. Again, they're particularly good with SS screws, and what I usually use. Success with bronze, though, is mixed. If the bronze is good and strong, great. But if the bronze isn't, then the driver can just break the head. Which would be okay if it broke the head right off but it usually just breaks half the head off or just scrapes out the slot. Certainly the best method to try first though because it's simple and fast. I have more success with the electric driver and it's also easier to find driver bits for that one. Manual driver kits typically come with bits that are too big for most screws in a boat. You can modify them, of course.

Rick

I find the manual one works better because it's being driven down against the head along with the twist. The electric one is too brutal. I even got out some particularly stubborn brass screws inside the boat with heads that wanted to disintegrate. Gentle work with the manual impact driver after a bit of oil on the screw worked. If you push and hold a manual impact driver down to the end of its travel, then light hammer taps transfer directly to torsion and you can be quite gentle.
    Last edited by MattSplatt; 11-01-2018 at 11:11 PM.

It's not all magic unicorns of course. When attempting a bunch of old brass screws there are plenty of lost causes where the screw head is almost powder already. Bronze isn't as bad.

Quote Originally Posted by gypsie View Post
    If you have a Gmail account you can use Google Pics app. It does all that automagically - and will even delete the saved images form your phone.
    Sounds good, Ill try that I think

I hope not to find any brass screws.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattSplatt View Post
    It's not all magic unicorns of course. When attempting a bunch of old brass screws there are plenty of lost causes where the screw head is almost powder already. Bronze isn't as bad.

I hope not to find any brass screws.
    You should certainly hope not.

I wasn't that lucky with Pixie, even outside.
    Inside, whatever crazy person replaced all the furniture (in maybe the late 80's or early 90's) decided it was okay to use steel screws when he ran out of brass ones. If I ever meet him I'm going to slap him.

I find the manual one works better because it's being driven down against the head along with the twist. The electric one is too brutal. I even got out some particularly stubborn brass screws inside the boat with heads that wanted to disintegrate. Gentle work with the manual impact driver after a bit of oil on the screw worked. If you push and hold a manual impact driver down to the end of its travel, then light hammer taps transfer directly to torsion and you can be quite gentle.
    Yep. But electric drivers are not all the same. I use a Bosch one that doesn't have that brutal kick. It takes off quite slowly and softly so you have good control. A hammer drill with the clutch wound back also works well.

There are plenty of ways to skin this cat and plenty of variables.

Rick

Exactly, on the plenty of ways to skin a cat.
    I prefer a driver drill with the clutch wound back too. I haven't tried any impact driver other than the cheap and nasty ones.

Quote Originally Posted by gypsie View Post
    So, bear with me please. I've downloaded Google pics onto my phone, and it's picked up all my photos and videos. But they are still on the phone photos icon too. How do I delete the whole lot from the phone memory, and is it safe to do so? Like it won't sync with google pics and delete from there too will it? That would be annoying. There's 3000 odd photos, and at least 10 worth keeping.

Exactly, on the plenty of ways to skin a cat.
    I prefer a driver drill with the clutch wound back too. I haven't tried any impact driver other than the cheap and nasty ones.
    Skinning cats with electric drills brings to mind bits of flesh spinning at high speed. Could be a messy way to do it.

You can also bash the cat over the head with the cheapo impact driver drill when the crappy battery dies.

I've found a way around the RMS stupidity and rule changing. I've sold the trailer to a good mate in Queensland who has registered it there..... with no trouble at all. He's going to sell it back to me and I'll transfer the rego to NSW.
    Grateful Dead

Sounds good Pete. Whenever I buy a vehicle interstate I register it my name there and then transfer to here. Saves an inspection.

So, bear with me please. I've downloaded Google pics onto my phone, and it's picked up all my photos and videos. But they are still on the phone photos icon too. How do I delete the whole lot from the phone memory, and is it safe to do so? Like it won't sync with google pics and delete from there too will it? That would be annoying. There's 3000 odd photos, and at least 10 worth keeping.

Well I deleted a couple and they disappear from google pics too. That's not great. Am I missing something?

Yes, you're missing the pics you deleted.

And reinforcing my decision to buy another camera.

You might not believe this .... Yesterday, my FIL spilt milk all over my phone! Luckily the phone, unlike the camera, is waterproof, a bit, enough.

Rick

Developing a milk intolerance?

If you like cameras this is a good one. Takes great photos and milk proof. But I'm starting to understand why we see very few photos from you. Cameras are crap for sharing online. Not much good for making phone calls either