Page 1196 of 1270 FirstFirst ... 19669610961146118611951196119712061246 ... LastLast
Results 41,826 to 41,860 of 44431

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Quote Originally Posted by gypsie View Post
    Anyone start a thread on the National Maritime Museum Traditional Boat Festival? I took some pictures.

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...=1#post5536796

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Glad you are getting that eye done Gary. Depth perception is a wonderful thing. Glad to hear no serious damage too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I've had a few suggest I get an Xray or CAT scan just to make sure I haven't made a bigger of myself.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    Glorious !
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by gypsie View Post
    I know that feeling. It always brings back to mind that old adage - the two happiest days of a boat owners life.....
    I've got soft patches under my deck, for and aft, and around the deck fittings for the stays. Worried about he carlins taking it up. Longer i leave it...... but need bloody crane to get it out of the water - and truck - and......$$$'s
    Me Too

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    I’m starting to think Peter has the right idea in having a trailerable boat. All I’ve done since July is repair rot, now it’s not only foredeck but a sizeable section of Port bow as well. The port bow ply only feels soft on the outside in one fairly small patch but inside it’s a different matter. It wouldn’t be so bad if I could haul out easily but the slip here is expensive.
    At least that's relatively quick and easy with ply.... as you proved in that epic repair session up the coast.
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    At least that's relatively quick and easy with ply.... as you proved in that epic repair session up the coast.
    I was on the hard there it makes it easy, now I have to try and do the same sort of work but on the water and without dropping sawdust etc in the water.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

If you're taking suggestions, haul her home or to my place on a tilt tray like Greg did with his H28. Use my gear, get it all done properly and go sailing .
    Grateful Dead

Hi Folks (at least those near enough to the SE corner.....),

TheSauna Sail that iconic mid-winter regatta that has been going for over half acentury took a hit when the government turned off the Power that was warmingthe lake (Hazelwood) for the dinghy racers - but I had fond hopes that the rise of DinghyCruising could see the Queens Birthday long weekends become a Softies meet forus ......
    Consider- we don't ordinarily dunk ourselves so water temp is less an issue. (though Ihear its not that bad .)
    TheClub (the Latrobe Valley Yacht Club) is an excellent host - laid back butorganized, well established - and has eats, including bacon and egg sangers forbrekkie available.
    There is an extensive camping areawith beach and campfires for any sized group are possible!

I had in mind a "Softies Meet for Hardcore Beach Cruiser (Wannabees)" - or something like .....

Noticehere: http://www.lvyc.org.au/

But now they are talking about pulling the plug on the lake and returning it tofarmland ....... so this may be the last gasp!

Well, anyway I will be taking my 'Big dinghy with a lid and comfy chair andtea-making facilities' - and also a fire brazier and some firewood and somecomfort beverage and see if something can't be salvaged from the situation.

Iwill have a spare chair and "glass" for a drop-in ....... But, hey!If there are other souls of a like inclination who would like to join me andbuild something for the future let's meet up. Bring yourself (and boat if youhave one otherwise camp) oh and a bit of firewood if poss the more themerrier!
    Iam sure we could spontaneously organise some fun activities - not"Racing" but some non-serious rivalry, demonstrations andrubbernecking others boats and gizmos and general conviviality is hoped for.
    Cheers!
    Frank

ps - a piccy for those who may recognise it

IMG_1225.jpg

If you're taking suggestions, haul her home or to my place on a tilt tray like Greg did with his H28. Use my gear, get it all done properly and go sailing .
    Well after looking at small 2nd hand fibreglass yachts on Gumtree I chatted about the boat to Kez. Her suggestion which combines a short cruise is to haul out at Boatworks again for a fortnight and just get it all done. I could pull the mast and give it half a dozen or so coats of two pack as well. AND just maybe we will finally get to Moreton Bay......
    ......the downside is possibly no NZ trip in January.

A good plan Gary !
    Grateful Dead

Gary, keep going... you've done so much good work on Red Wing already... get this next round over with and you'll be that much closer to a rot free boat. Forget silly plastic production boats, none of them would give you the same pleasure. Besides, Red Wing will be that much more full of character once you've got all these repairs done.

Quote Originally Posted by Small boats rock View Post
    Gary, keep going... you've done so much good work on Red Wing already... get this next round over with and you'll be that much closer to a rot free boat. Forget silly plastic production boats, none of them would give you the same pleasure. Besides, Red Wing will be that much more full of character once you've got all these repairs done.
    Well she certainly is somewhat unique.

She'll be a testament to your persistence !
    Grateful Dead

Sisyphus springs to mind.

Not quite that bad !
    Grateful Dead

What, you won't be in Hobart?

That's in July. I'll do my best to be in Hobart six months later.

When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Well after looking at small 2nd hand fibreglass yachts on Gumtree I chatted about the boat to Kez. Her suggestion which combines a short cruise is to haul out at Boatworks again for a fortnight and just get it all done. I could pull the mast and give it half a dozen or so coats of two pack as well. AND just maybe we will finally get to Moreton Bay......
    ......the downside is possibly no NZ trip in January.

I was kind of wondering last night if you might be considering a Viking funeral. I'm truly sorry for your ongoing woes. If you took a dispassionate look at her, knowing what you do and fearing more of the same, would you accept her even as a gift? Maybe you could put her rig into a glass hull. Must be some cheap ones around. I think there is almost no market for old small fixed keel yachts. I'm not urging you to give up. Just saying it might be valid option.

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    That's in July. I'll do my best to be in Hobart six months later.

Hmm. Must have misunderstood something. Cannot find your original comment on my phone.

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    Lots of damage around the city but less than I'd expect in some ways. Yes , I wouldn't want to be anchored out somewhere in that , let alone be at sea. It was solid 80 knot sustained for long periods, and then those ridiculous gusts. Our old house is 1910 and I'm sure it has original glass in its big windows. I was watching that flexing or wobbling and just wondering......
    But no issues for us personally , although I haven't been to the boat.

About time you checked in JB. Is Riada OK? And the classic fleet?

See you in a couple of days, we're off for a short holiday with the grandkids.
    Grateful Dead

I was kind of wondering last night if you might be considering a Viking funeral. I'm truly sorry for your ongoing woes. If you took a dispassionate look at her, knowing what you do and fearing more of the same, would you accept her even as a gift? Maybe you could put her rig into a glass hull. Must be some cheap ones around. I think there is almost no market for old small fixed keel yachts. I'm not urging you to give up. Just saying it might be valid option.

At present and as far as I know the rot is confined to the fore deck and port bow topside. The beam shelf may be shot but that is only about a metre of timber. Material wise it’s not a lot and a fortnight on the hard would see a lot more than just that done.
    The thought of just giving up on her and converting a glass hull has it’s appeal and I have given it some thought believe me. I have even contemplated a trailer sailer. The interesting thing is Kerry doesn’t want me to give up, she wants to go sailing.
    Anyway I need to crunch a few numbers and get an idea on how much my budget needs to be.

Good on Kerry , you've been lucky there Gary.
    Grateful Dead

Good on Kerry , you've been lucky there Gary.
    Oh so true.

Hobart. I was wondering who is likely to be there this time round. Normally by now I have accom. and flights organised. But I've been 5 years inn a row and In thought maybe Goolwa again seeing I've got our own Dingy show as well in Feb. Haven't been to Goolwa for a long time but I was once a regular.

Not sure. We will be there for a wedding in January but probably won't stay that long. Today's plan is to take car 1970s pop top camper and electric bikes and make a bit of a holiday of it. Instead of sailing down. But we don't get paid when we are not working so probably not a long holiday.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Hobart. I was wondering who is likely to be there this time round. Normally by now I have accom. and flights organised. But I've been 5 years inn a row and In thought maybe Goolwa again seeing I've got our own Dingy show as well in Feb. Haven't been to Goolwa for a long time but I was once a regular.
    It looks like I won't be going anywhere other than Boatworks and a better than even chance of actually getting to Moreton Bay.

I don't expect Duncan after his accident, Peter? Rick?

Probably not this time Jeff. We won't be ready to sail Masina to Tas by then as I just have too much on. After many festivals, while it's always great to see the gang, I'm a bit tired of seeing the same boats so I don't think we'll visit the 2019 WBF! I'm hoping to get to one of your dinghy regattas and I'm keen to attend one of the historical regattas in NZ.

Rick

I’m revisiting the idea of hauling out at Tweed it’s substantially more expensive but given the complications of the whole eye op and the fact I wont be able to go anywhere for at least three months. Which means by that time the ply is likely to be even softer and an ocean voyage might be tempting the gods.

Haven't heard anything from JB since the storm, and nothing on fb. Anyone know what's up?

I see he's posting on other threads.

OK, looks like Goolwa,
    27-28 APRIL.

https://www.sawoodenboatfestival.com.au/program/

Out with the old and in with new. Thanks to my trusty hookah.

I see he's posting on other threads.
    Boat was fine, I leave it with 9 lines on it anyway. Mates Genoa thrashed itself to bits. I'm not affected but there are still homes with power out.
    A bit of an issue with the alarm at work so midnight phone calls as it played up. Note to people with alarms... most of the time its' the tamper switch gives out in the outside alarm, which I was aware of. This time it was the tamper switch on the internal box.
    Last edited by John B; 04-18-2018 at 01:03 AM.

Glad to hear that John.