Page 1109 of 1138 FirstFirst ... 1096091009105910991108110911101119 ... LastLast
Results 38,781 to 38,815 of 39818

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

I'm using West. Got a bunch cheap. But I have no particular preferences as I don't use enough.

Warmed up here, but more rain forecast. In the light of summer forecasts, good.
    We can store 75,000 lt. in tanks and about 3,000 in a collection of old olive barrels I distribute round the garden come summer where I have a new or struggling tree.

The floorboards of our house in Newcastle are about 25mm thick and about 150 years old. I thought they were kauri but have wondered if they could be hoop as this was also common in the 1800s and hard to tell from kauri. But yesterday, I lifted a broken floorboard and found a stamp - The Union Steam Saw, Moulding, Sash and Door Co Limited, Auckland, N.Z. So, definitely kauri. Kind of nice to have a kauri floor but also a depressing reminder that so much of this, pretty much perfect, boatbuilding and furniture timber was wasted on floorboards all over NZ, Australia and beyond. Especially when Newcastle was surrounded by much better timber for floorboards! No chance of building a boat out of these floorboards though - more holes than a politician's integrity (well, nearly as many, anyway).

Rick

Looks like my new depth sounder has arrived at the post office, I'll nip in and get it later.
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

John Welsford

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    The floorboards of our house in Newcastle are about 25mm thick and about 150 years old. I thought they were kauri but have wondered if they could be hoop as this was also common in the 1800s and hard to tell from kauri. But yesterday, I lifted a broken floorboard and found a stamp - The Union Steam Saw, Moulding, Sash and Door Co Limited, Auckland, N.Z. So, definitely kauri. Kind of nice to have a kauri floor but also a depressing reminder that so much of this, pretty much perfect, boatbuilding and furniture timber was wasted on floorboards all over NZ, Australia and beyond. Especially when Newcastle was surrounded by much better timber for floorboards! No chance of building a boat out of these floorboards though - more holes than a politician's integrity (well, nearly as many, anyway).

Rick
    As a little boy in Auckland I was with Dad one day in the centre of the city, Queen Street I think. Laborers were digging a trench, about 6 feet deep down the centre of the street and had dug through a layer of 6'' cubed kauri block ''cobble stones'' .They were neatly stacked in tall piles along the trench.

Mind numbing waste !
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

That is dreadful! I have a memory of wooden cobblestones too but I just can't remember where it was. Not NZ, somewhere here.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    That is dreadful! I have a memory of wooden cobblestones too but I just can't remember where it was. Not NZ, somewhere here.

Rick
    They were used in Port Adelaide.

Sent from my HUAWEI CUN-L02 using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

What timber would they have used in Port Bruce ?
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    What timber would they have used in Port Bruce ?
    I don't know Pete. Sheila can probably find out; she works in the Visitor Information Centre there. I'll ask her. I'd like to know now as well.

When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Redgum blocks in Melbourne around the tram tracks. I remember them. Great firewood, full of tar and oils when they replaced them with concrete. When you drove over them in a car you could hear them rattling up and down. Occasionally one would pull right out.

On busy streets tar-soaked wooden blocks were laid to provide a stronger and more durable surface than macadam. The blocks would be cemented into place by pug (clay). This 1913 image shows workers laying blocks along Auckland’s Karangahape Road.
    Grateful Dead

The new depth sounder...that's a cardboard display not the depth and temp of my bed.
    20170913_144602.jpg
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

John Welsford

A neighbour just came over all atizz. There's an out of control bushfire (she says, RFS has it as an out of control grass fire) about a kilometre away. Might be interesting, but I doubt it. Big winds and a lot of explosion noises though
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

This my season of paranoia , well founded.
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    This my season of paranoia , well founded.

What do they say? Your not paranoid if they really are out to get you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    The new depth sounder...that's a cardboard display not the depth and temp of my bed.
    That will come in handy for the "Return to Moreton Bay" cruise. Sensor off the back transom (selfish inquiry, that is my plan!)?? Good to hear the repairs are progressing well.

Mal
    Quest

Moving slowly towards a Welsford Sundowner.

Hobart Wooden Boat Festival 2017, or maybe 2019ish??

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...undowner-build
    http://sundownerbuild.blogspot.com.au/

True proper .
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    What do they say? Your not paranoid if they really are out to get you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I know how it feels. I had a bloke in a car watching me on the boat today, taking photos. Looked like police or border force in plain clothes. I didn't have the nerve to go knock on the window.

Paperback E-book

Quote Originally Posted by Quest View Post
    That will come in handy for the "Return to Moreton Bay" cruise. Sensor off the back transom (selfish inquiry, that is my plan!)?? Good to hear the repairs are progressing well.

Mal
    It's compatible with the transducer I have in the bilge which is why I bought. It did come with a transom hung transducer though...it can be my backup.

John Welsford

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    I know how it feels. I had a bloke in a car watching me on the boat today, taking photos. Looked like police or border force in plain clothes. I didn't have the nerve to go knock on the window.

Well...you are one of "these" boat people.

John Welsford

Weird morning weather, total overcast and quite warm with gusty wind.

John Welsford

We just had a light shower, the first rain for months, we really need lots more!
    Grateful Dead

No rain though bom radar shows light rain about.

John Welsford

It has been very wet here , and more to come , this week and next.
    Rob J.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Redgum blocks in Melbourne around the tram tracks. I remember them. Great firewood, full of tar and oils when they replaced them with concrete. When you drove over them in a car you could hear them rattling up and down. Occasionally one would pull right out.

When I was building my mud brick house I bought a tip truck full of jarra tramway blocks, cleaned them up as they where covered in tar and i suspect creosote. Used the drop saw to cut them in half, arrised the top edges and laid them on the floor of out lounge room. Came up a treat after a polish.

If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question

Very nice job - the whole thing!

Rick

Lovely, railway sleepers would work for that too.
    Grateful Dead

Speaking of railway sleepers, In the late 70's I was checking out my sisters garden out of Launceston and a sleeper caught my eye.....looked different from the others! I grabbed a chisel from the shed to check what timber it was and as I suspected it was Huon pine! Imagine getting a truck load of them!

I made trinket and jewelry boxes from sleepers for a few years, they sold very well. Thousands !

P9141114.jpg

P9141115.jpg
    Grateful Dead

Huon Pine sleepers, Kauri floorboards, ring barking and wood chipping whole forests, redgum for firewood……...

We are a wasteful species aren't we?

The price of everything and the value of nothing.
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Hallam View Post
    When I was building my mud brick house I bought a tip truck full of jarra tramway blocks, cleaned them up as they where covered in tar and i suspect creosote. Used the drop saw to cut them in half, arrised the top edges and laid them on the floor of out lounge room. Came up a treat after a polish.

Very nice! I’d be interested in seeing more of the house - puddled or compressed mud bricks? I built one in Alice Springs, started out using puddled mud bricks until Amoongana Community approached me and asked if I’d use their compressed mud bricks instead, which they were just starting to make and hoping to set up as a viable business.

I ended up giving all of the puddled bricks that I’d made to my architect as payment for the plans and used the Amoongana bricks and was very happy that I did. They were heavy and hard, being stabilised with 5% Brightonlite cement (as opposed to grey cement), incredibly durable in the weather and ended up providing a somewhat stone built look to the building.

Sadly the brick business at Amoongana didn’t survive, I think mostly due to lack of any sort of real marketing of the product. The guys running it were keen enough but I kinda remember the consultant that they were given to help sell it was short term and his replacement when he left didn’t have the same genuine interest in helping the community grow its industry.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Puddled bricks. Made most myself making a wet mix the night before laying. That way I could use a large cement mixer for the mix and tip it in the trailer so it would be ready by next morning. A few test bricks where sent to RMIT to see if they where up to scratch. 4200 lengths of 12x3 vic ash beams from the Crib Point navy base where used for rafters on the long side, Yellow Box from the Flinders Pier decking where used for the short side rafters. I had long lengths of 12 x 12 Iron bark from a NSW bridge that i milled into 3 slabs for the ridge beam, perimeter beams and posts. Corner posts where Iron bark logs. I had 2 6x6 Jarra posts 4 meters long, one for an upright in the kitchen the other is still in the shed for some project yet to eventuate. I still have a length of the Ironbark bridge beam as well. The pics are on my other computer so will post a few soon.

It's amazing how much strength we had as young blokes isn't it ?!
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Hallam View Post
    Puddled bricks. Made most myself making a wet mix the night before laying. That way I could use a large cement mixer for the mix and tip it in the trailer so it would be ready by next morning. A few test bricks where sent to RMIT to see if they where up to scratch. 4200 lengths of 12x3 vic ash beams from the Crib Point navy base where used for rafters on the long side, Yellow Box from the Flinders Pier decking where used for the short side rafters. I had long lengths of 12 x 12 Iron bark from a NSW bridge that i milled into 3 slabs for the ridge beam, perimeter beams and posts. Corner posts where Iron bark logs. I had 2 6x6 Jarra posts 4 meters long, one for an upright in the kitchen the other is still in the shed for some project yet to eventuate. I still have a length of the Ironbark bridge beam as well. The pics are on my other computer so will post a few soon.
    I have to admit I stared at your house photo as well. I like what you've done.

John Welsford

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    I have to admit I stared at your house photo as well. I like what you've done.
    Same. More info and photos?

Paperback E-book