Page 1215 of 1215 FirstFirst ... 21571511151165120512141215
Results 42,491 to 42,510 of 42510

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

I see a lot of thriving green stuff that looks like it was growing under the baseplate, and a lot of rotten looking wood, both of which suggest it was leaking long before getting a nudge from WB.
    I'm with the offer him $200 to have sex and travel camp, because if push comes to shove, any marine surveyor is going to say that was an accident waiting to happen. I can't see how you'd be liable for his maintenance problems.

Pete
    Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers!

No backing plate, or perhaps a rotten backing plate, and a washer no bigger than the nut. Stanchions are probably the most common cause of deck leaks because people tend to lean on them, lift themselves on board with them, etc. but they're so commonly installed badly.

Rick

Tomorrow is the big day for modifying the pushpit, the plan is to fit an elongated U shaped rail to the aft top side of it. It will double as a backrest which will make me feel more secure when I steer from there when motoring. It will also raise the attachment point for the lower blocks on the sheet by about 300mm which hopefully will get it out of my hair when I sit at the aft end of the cockpit.
    Okay now what I wanted to say. I'd arranged to pick the U shape up from Macstainless today...simple get fuel and get the gas cylinders filled. A simple drive around the corner and...bloody hell they're SHUT! Little bit of stress because the mate who is going to weld it is off to the Whitsundays probably Monday. I can't even go with the SS elbows that I bought option because my length of stainless behind a locked door. Anyway just a tad stressed about getting it done but I can picked it up in the morning.
    Of course there is a 60% chance of rain tomorrow.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

People in glass houses and all that. I have a stanchion base, actually a pushpit base, which would come out like that with very little encouragement. It has a single central bolt going through the teak veneer, then the deck ply, and a ply backing plate. It's everyone's favourite place to grab to climb aboard. The deck and backing plate are like dried out papier-mâché. It's the next bit of deck I'm going to do some cutting and pasting on.

There's nothing wrong with a plywood backing plate - unless the thing leaks, of course! With a plywood plate though, you really need to use big washers.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    People in glass houses and all that. I have a stanchion base, actually a pushpit base, which would come out like that with very little encouragement. It has a single central bolt going through the teak veneer, then the deck ply, and a ply backing plate. It's everyone's favourite place to grab to climb aboard. The deck and backing plate are like dried out papier-mâché. It's the next bit of deck I'm going to do some cutting and pasting on.
    My pushpit is held on with roofing screws, I sailed back from Southport with it like that. One of the reasons why I'm keen to get this job done. I want to replace the screws with bolts anchored in epoxy.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

Anchored into what with epoxy?

Rick

What's the old line about a sinking boat and a man with a bucket? A couple of hundred buckets of water gives a good workout. New panel, new batteries, leak plugged and I can't move. Just the thing ahead of a two day bike ride, starting at 6.30am
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Anchored into what with epoxy?

Rick
    Solid new timber.

On a marina berth I had my big steel boat at, the berth cleats were just epoxied to the concrete deck of the pontoon. The base plates of the cleats were not huge, maybe 3" by 8". It was mainly a commercial fishing marina, so holding quite big fishing boats, also had a really strong tidal stream flowing through it. Those fishing boats would steam in, chuck a spring line onto a cleat and give it the beans to pull alongside. Seemed to work. And no nasty protrusions to move or leak.

Quote Originally Posted by epoxyboy View Post
    I see a lot of thriving green stuff that looks like it was growing under the baseplate, and a lot of rotten looking wood, both of which suggest it was leaking long before getting a nudge from WB.
    I'm with the offer him $200 to have sex and travel camp, because if push comes to shove, any marine surveyor is going to say that was an accident waiting to happen. I can't see how you'd be liable for his maintenance problems.

Pete
    Thanks Guys for all opinions expressed which mirror my thoughts to a tee. And yes the backing plate condition and lack of an oversized washer would have been a contributing factor in what most likely constituted only a minor glancing collision.
    On the other hand I am probably lucky It was a minor knock since the bowsprite could have kept on going right through his coach roof.

Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    Thanks Guys for all opinions expressed which mirror my thoughts to a tee. And yes the backing plate condition and lack of an oversized washer would have been a contributing factor in what most likely constituted only a minor glancing collision.
    On the other hand I am probably lucky It was a minor knock since the bowsprite could have kept on going right through his coach roof.
    That happened to a friend of mine, he was motoring an old boat he had bought back to his mooring. An old and poorly maintained boat. Backing and shunting in a crowded area the rusted gearbox linkage failed and his new boat poked it's bowsprit through a powerboat's superstructure. Fortunately he's a boatbuilder and very skilled, it was a quick repair.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Solid new timber.
    Just remember that stanchions and pulpits etc. get leaned on, a lot, and the leverage is against the fixing point. As the base rocks, it opens up the seam so you must have flexible sealant at the surface and a way for moisture to escape if it does get in. That's why it's best to have the bases through-bolted with good backing. Also, as the fitting rocks, it depresses the surface and backing so you need to tighten it up now and again. You can't do that if it's anchored in epoxy. If you're worried about running holes through a beam shelf or deck beam, you have a couple of options. One is to fasten blocks to the side if the beam and fasten the fitting to those. The other is to use thinner bolts.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    you really need to use big washers.
    for big underpants?

Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Gibbs View Post
    for big underpants?

I've missed your posts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    That happened to a friend of mine, he was motoring an old boat he had bought back to his mooring. An old and poorly maintained boat. Backing and shunting in a crowded area the rusted gearbox linkage failed and his new boat poked it's bowsprit through a powerboat's superstructure. Fortunately he's a boatbuilder and very skilled, it was a quick repair.
    He should have sold the bowsprit to the powerboat guy, to hang towels on in the cabin.

Free delivery and installation!

Rick

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

That's nice! Steel.

Rick

I think I'm getting my mojo back. Tonight's the first night in a long time I've been out to check out the work I've done on Romana during the day, then stayed and worked on it to prep for tomorrow. I'll have to get up early in the morning because heavy rain and possible thunderstorms are predicted in the arvo and beyond.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Better check the bilge pump