Thread: The cruising family Griffith and their ship(s) Ahwahnee

Default The cruising family Griffith and their ship(s) Ahwahnee

I randomly searched for sailing movies on Amazon Prime Video and the film _Following Seas_ came up.

I suspect that many people here know of the Griffith family and their two Ahwahnee ships. And their multiple circumnavigations.

If you don't know the film, it's mostly composed of footage shot by Nancy Griffith during their voyages and narrated by her later in life when this film was made.

An excellent, excellent film.

One thing that struck me is how they built a second Ahwahnee in ferrocement based on rough measurements of the bones of the first Ahwahnee after it was wreaked on a reef at a mostly deserted Pacific island. They didn't dilitate over exactly what and how to build, they just got busy doing the best they could under the circumstances... because they wanted to get back to sailing!

There's a design based on the two Ahwahnees at Karston Marine, discoverable by googling.

Edited to Add: Kasten Marine Designs has a prototype design, Ahwahnee III 48. The original Ahwahnee is an Uffa Fox design in wood at 53 feet. Kasten calls it a sailing canoe hull design. The Griffiths in the movie repeatedly just call it "fast". http://www.kastenmarine.com/awahnee_III_48.htm
    Last edited by chollapete; 11-23-2020 at 03:50 AM.

Default Re: The cruising family Griffith and their ship(s) Ahwahnee

just viewed the trailer...looks very interesting and I will be watching it when I can. thanks for posting.

Me too, thanks chollapete…… there are still a few older wood fishing boats around in Tasmania that were built by eye on beaches from what grew behind it. Bark stillon thr brsnches on the framing. And g'day Bernie, good to hear from you.

I worked with them on the construction of Awhahnee 2 in Whangarei N.Z. She was very rough but strong. Fine finish was not what they wanted. I would not say they did not have Maurice Griffiths original plans, Bob used them but made his own decisions on the framing and suchlike. He did have a lot of help from the ferro-cement community around him too. From memory there were two "Marco Polo's" building and several 40 plus footers handy, a whole bunch of "Hartley" of various sizes and Rich Hartley himself was around the scene, so Bob and Nancy were not out in the wilderness. Speed was everything to them both.

"Fast" is the way people describe boats with good light air performance when they have pure displacement hullforms. Wich is a nice way to say it means nothing.
    Thanks for the movie recomandation.

Awhahnee was an Uffa Fox design called Hearts Desire. The movie is excellent thanks for the recommendation.