Thread: Nordic boat building a cultural heritage?

Default Nordic boat building a cultural heritage?

Aparantly Nordic style of boat building has been proposed to be labeled a part of the non-, I don't know how to say it, but it's not a building or whatever, cultural heritage

https://www.regeringen.se/pressmeddelanden/2020/03/nordisk-klinkteknik-vid-batbyggande-nomineras-till-unescos-lista-for-immateriellt-kulturarv/
    (In Swedish, sorry)

/Mats

Default Re: Nordic boat building a cultural heritage?

It looks like they (UNESCO) are including traditional skills as part of the cultural heritage. If that provides some funding to document and preserve that skillset then more power to them! I would suspect that there could be more candidates for that preservation; skiing perhaps?

I think it's silly, perhaps because I live in the middle of it, I don't know.
    But yeah telemark skiing, you know about surströmming? The worst smelling food (I like it though).
    Lots of craftmanship to get it done.
    There are of course hundreds of other crafts, but well I don't know, maybe it's good, maybe it's irrelevant.

/Mats

I think it is extremely appropriate.
    The Oselvar was only saved as the last couple of builders were still alive. The building tradition that goes back 1000 years to the boats that were the technological jump of their day and has been viable right up to very recently, was about to disappear. The last boatbuilders were growing old and the fiberglass generation had made their building tradition too expensive to compete.

I think it is extremely appropriate and just in time.

Yikes! It's all Swedish to me!

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Yikes! It's all Swedish to me!

Rick
    Yeah, my goal is to make this forum Swedish, in the long run I plan to make all of Internet Swedish.
    For the time being, there may be a possibility to translate foreign texts via google translate, but I hope to have that removed within short.

/Mats

Quote Originally Posted by mohsart View Post
    Yeah, my goal is to make this forum Swedish, in the long run I plan to make all of Internet Swedish.
    For the time being, there may be a possibility to translate foreign texts via google translate, but I hope to have that removed within short.

/Mats
    I applaud that plan!

Rick

Uh-Oh! I'll have to learn how to balance umlauts on my lettering!

To digress further, umlaut means change of sound (if my rusty knowlege of German isn't too far off).
    In Swedish, the ¨ things are not a change of the sounds (well it is), but the last characters of the Swedish alphabet is å, ä and ö. They are separate characters. On their own, ö is not a variation of o.
    It's not like in German where ä is a variation of a, like you have é, ê and other stuff in other languages.
    Fun fact: W was treated as a variation of V in Swedish until 1990? (I don't remember), so it wasn't a part of the alphabet.

/Mats