Page 1160 of 1160 FirstFirst ... 16066010601110115011591160
Results 40,566 to 40,600 of 40600

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    It was amazing motorsailing alongside and between all the drifting ghost ships over there at night. Staying awake wasn't a problem.

Sent from a phone.
    We had a southerly change come through a couple of days ago so the nights have been very mild...bordering on cold.
    We're up for some hotter weather though.
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

John Welsford

Is that what they mean by "non sequitur" Or is just the opposite to segue.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    I thought I was replying to a comment about SA weather...I guess not.
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

John Welsford

The Bupa people's challenge or whatever it's called, the people's ride associated with the Tour Down Under, was to finish at Uraidla tomorrow, but has been cancelled. It's a pretty big deal, lots of locals saw an opportunity to both co tribute and make some money, either for themselves or the local sporting clubs. Catering. So food ordered and prepared to feed several thousand participants, supporters, family ect. But now they won't be coming. It's the right decision, but quite an impact. We still get the finish of stage 4, but it won't be anywhere near as big. What do you do with 600 serves of Paella? 1000 sausages and 2000 slices of bread, 500 litres of home made ice cream, and locally grown strawberries to go with them? etc, etc.
    Pig out!

Rick

I thought the link was 'over there'.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    I thought I was replying to a comment about SA weather...I guess not.
    I think that was Bruce's other post. The one you replied to was about AIS and coal ships. Sorry, once a lawyer, always a lawyer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Very South Australian!
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Good to know, thanks. Won't send out a mayday for them!
    It becomes a bit of a joke when there's a yacht or ship running close by but out of sight and then they just disappear off the screen, then reappear. The great thing though is seeing what course approaching ships are on, long before they're close.

Rick

How about this one for The Haul?

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/tasc...row/1172206316

Rick

We've had 3 Mirrors come into the club recently, mostly as a result of the Tackers programme and the family taking up sailing. I have 4 spinnaker poles in progress in the shed. I am amazed at the differences in the boats considering they are a 'one design' class.

I think that was Bruce's other post. The one you replied to was about AIS and coal ships. Sorry, once a lawyer, always a lawyer.
    Okay, how do we put a lien on someone who owes us money?

John Welsford

You get Big George to sidle up the them, lien over them, and fretten to do bad fings unless they coughs up the doe.

Sent from a phone.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    How about this one for The Haul?

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/tasc...row/1172206316

Rick
    Buy it! Buy it now!

Sent from a phone.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Not me. I already have one and no more room!

Rick

It looks like quite a bargain. I hope it gets a good home.

Sent from a phone.
    Paperback E-book

If it's for work you've done for them, you put the lien on the object you worked on. It's a pretty straightforward process in the lower courts, you have to give evidence of the work, the debt, the demand to pay, the notice of intention to put a lien on. There are some time frames to comply with. The sheriff, yes we have sheriffs, then serves the lien. There's a fee but it's not much. The court office will probably give you some help with the process.

You get Big George to sidle up the them, lien over them, and fretten to do bad fings unless they coughs up the doe.

Sent from a phone.
    That would be the Finks around here.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

If it's for work you've done for them, you put the lien on the object you worked on. It's a pretty straightforward process in the lower courts, you have to give evidence of the work, the debt, the demand to pay, the notice of intention to put a lien on. There are some time frames to comply with. The sheriff, yes we have sheriffs, then serves the lien. There's a fee but it's not much. The court office will probably give you some help with the process.
    Thanks Phil, it's our problematic shareholder, he pressured the previous board into refunding a joining fee new shareholders pay when joining the co-op. He claimed it was a double payment for shares, anyway we don't want him to get away with it. So our plan is to put lien on his shares so that he can't sell without paying the debt.

John Welsford

Sent from a phone.
    We did Fink of that.

John Welsford

Thanks Phil, it's our problematic shareholder, he pressured the previous board into refunding a joining fee new shareholders pay when joining the co-op. He claimed it was a double payment for shares, anyway we don't want him to get away with it. So our plan is to put lien on his shares so that he can't sell without paying the debt.
    Let me rephrase that. The old board, properly constituted, agreed to waive the joining fee. So the new member of the coop paid for his shares, but not the additional joining fee. The board membership has now changed, and the new board is unhappy with that deal. They want to put a lien on the shares, which have been paid for.

Either suck it up, or go with Bruce's suggestion.

Oh bugger. Our only chance maybe in that the previous board didn't follow the correct process ad per our constitution.

John Welsford

I was thinking the same, but of course that would be a claim against the old board members. And they may have some immunity if they acted in good faith, if unwisely. I don't know, just guessing there. But in any event, are they really the villains?

I was thinking the same, but of course that would be a claim against the old board members. And they may have some immunity if they acted in good faith, if unwisely. I don't know, just guessing there. But in any event, are they really the villains?
    Most of the shareholders that were on the board are good people but they bowed to what amounts to threats of bogus legal action and made no attempt to either consult a legal opinion, bring it to a shareholders general meeting or follow the constitution.
    When a new shareholder buys the shares and assets from an outgoing shareholder the new shareholder is issued new share certificates and the old ones are canceled. Unfortunately the old share certificates didn't get canceled written on them as per usual practise (a minor cerical error) so he claimed he'd been charged twice. Even though the only money he had paid to the co-op was for the joining fee.
    So when a new shareholder buys in they buy the shares and assets from the outgoing shareholder and the new shareholder pays a joining fee to the co-op.

John Welsford

Here's a good story for those of you on Facebook.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1741...4121039985346/

John Welsford

Most of the shareholders that were on the board are good people but they bowed to what amounts to threats of bogus legal action and made no attempt to either consult a legal opinion, bring it to a shareholders general meeting or follow the constitution.
    When a new shareholder buys the shares and assets from an outgoing shareholder the new shareholder is issued new share certificates and the old ones are canceled. Unfortunately the old share certificates didn't get canceled written on them as per usual practise (a minor cerical error) so he claimed he'd been charged twice. Even though the only money he had paid to the co-op was for the joining fee.
    So when a new shareholder buys in they buy the shares and assets from the outgoing shareholder and the new shareholder pays a joining fee to the co-op.
    That all sounds a bit convoluted and contradictory. Definitely go with Bruce's suggestion.

That all sounds a bit convoluted and contradictory. Definitely go with Bruce's suggestion.
    You may be right. We'll sort it out.

John Welsford

Reminds me of a story from my community centre days.
    The manager at the time was being stalked by one of the mad clients. Another client by the name of Animal Dave heard about it and offered to solve the problem. The manager said to Dave I don't want you to kill him...Dave's reply was, there's worse things than dying.

John Welsford

Here's a good story for those of you on Facebook.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1741...4121039985346/
    Nice. Some of the attitudes to one thing and another are very much of their time. But a nice story.

You may be right. We'll sort it out.
    I think that's best, particularly if the coop is your housing community. Got to get along. Reading between the lines I'm guessing the constitution doesn't allow shares to be transferred, which is why they would be cancelled and new ones issued. If that's the case, and it's just a WAG, then although the practise has been to write cancelled on the shares, if they are in fact not transferable maybe your snaky guy has nothing, no matter whether the secretary has written cancelled on them. That would make sense as a mechanism to retain control over who joins the community. But it all depends what the constitution actually says.

I think that's best, particularly if the coop is your housing community. Got to get along. Reading between the lines I'm guessing the constitution doesn't allow shares to be transferred, which is why they would be cancelled and new ones issued. If that's the case, and it's just a WAG, then although the practise has been to write cancelled on the shares, if they are in fact not transferable maybe your snaky guy has nothing, no matter whether the secretary has written cancelled on them. That would make sense as a mechanism to retain control over who joins the community. But it all depends what the constitution actually says.
    We can transfer shares for eg. shares 1,000 to 4,000 belong to a particular house site. So when those shares and that house site goes to someone new the transfer details go on the back of the certificate and it is canceled and then a new certificate is issued with the same numbers and in the new name. Non negotiable in this case just means the value of the shares don't change. one share = $1.

John Welsford

I was supposed to go on the pension this morning...checked my bank account and was surprised to see a balance of $0.00.
    So into Centrelink and a phone call to the relevant help desk, oh it seems the application is still being processed but here's $37 to tie you over...oh well.

Anyway on duty tomorrow morning then it's finish putting the starter motor back on the outboard. Sunday is cutting out the last bit of known rot in the cabin top. Amazing the amount of gear and tools needed to replace (hopefully) a patch about 6" x 12". I'm taking enough ply for 6 or 7 times that.

John Welsford

Very wise!

Looking at a relatively pleasant 36C today, after hitting 44 yesterday. Great day to get under the boat again I reckon, with a plan to actually slip the lines and go out for a sail on Tuesday. It's been more than a little while.

An unexpected visitor or two called by while I was scrubbing the bottom.

image.jpg