Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Phil Y
    Banned
    • Apr 2010

I think I saw somewhere that a primer is recommended, so yes I will.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

Comment

• RFNK
      Port Stephens, Australia
      • Feb 2007

Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Okay, they reckon you don't need primer over fibreglass. https://www.pyiinc.com/KiwiGrip/applyingkiwigrip.html

Rick
      Last edited by RFNK; 03-21-2019, 03:05 AM.
      Rick

Lean and nosey like a ferret

Comment

• RFNK
        Port Stephens, Australia
        • Feb 2007

I love this time of year. Days are still warm but not hot, mornings are just starting to crisp up, evenings are cooler, and we get wonderfully still mornings and evenings across the water. I like those calm grey autumn days but they're still a few weeks off.

Rick
        Rick

Comment

• Phil Y
          Banned
          • Apr 2010

Originally posted by RFNK
          Okay, they reckon you don't need primer over fibreglass. https://www.pyiinc.com/KiwiGrip/applyingkiwigrip.html

Rick
          Excellent. I guess no primer then. Can it go on smooth where I want it smooth? A margin around cabins and hatches and everything else? I'm already having nightmares about masking tape.

Comment

• Phil Y
            Banned
            • Apr 2010

OK, I went to their website. Looks like the shiny bits have to be done first with something else. Probably a primer and some sort of 2 pack. Suggestions? Favourite flavours?

Comment

• Phil Y
              Banned
              • Apr 2010

I love this time of year. Days are still warm but not hot, mornings are just starting to crisp up, evenings are cooler, and we get wonderfully still mornings and evenings across the water. I like those calm grey autumn days but they're still a few weeks off.

Rick
              This is the time of year for sailing in our part of the world. It's one of the reasons I dislike Christmas. One is kind of obliged to have the big annual holiday at Christmas time. And usually the weather is pretty awful for sailing. It takes a huge effort of will to do any significant cruise around now rather than trying over Christmas. Hopefully this time next year.....

Comment

• RFNK
                Port Stephens, Australia
                • Feb 2007

Weeeeell ...., I used Awlgrip and I just love the stuff. Purely by chance, the Awlgrip colour I use is identical to a Kiwigrip colour. It's a light beige - I'll find the name of it and post it. There are other paints that are just as tough as Awlgrip and possibly not quite as expensive .... but I don't know what they are. Awlgrip has amazing coverage. A 1 litre kit would be more than enough for your trim, cockpit and cabinsides etc. It's tricky stuff to use but easy once shown how. For primer, I use Jotun Penguard. It's a two-pack epoxy high-build primer. I like it because it really is high-build and it's easy to sand to a very smooth finish.

Rick
                Rick

Comment

• Geftb
                  Good Enough For the Bush
                  • Aug 2017

Have you used norglass Rick? I'm thinking of using them.

Comment

• Phil Y
                    Banned
                    • Apr 2010

Tricky to apply until shown how doesn't sound quite like my kind of paint! Although I'm open to a little tutoring.

Comment

• RFNK
                      Port Stephens, Australia
                      • Feb 2007

I really like the company and many of their products but I've had no luck with their two-pack paints. I hate to say it but I really hate their two-pack primer, and I haven't been able to achieve a good finish with their two-pack poly finish coat. It could be just my technique.

I spoke to a painter who rolled another paint onto a big cat in December and that came up really well. I could find out the name of that paint but it'll take me a while to find out.

Rick
                      Rick

Comment

• RFNK
                        Port Stephens, Australia
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Phil Y
                        Tricky to apply until shown how doesn't sound quite like my kind of paint! Although I'm open to a little tutoring.

It's not hard at all but you do have to follow the procedure closely. I can step it out for you as long as you promise to (a) do exactly as you're told, (b) not complain, and (c) not blame me if you stuff it up. I was shown how to use it by someone who is really good at it. I then took the advice of the Akzo Nobel rep and found a much easier technique which works really well. The problem with Awlgrip is that you can't polish it - not at all, so if you leave any runs, you have to sand it off and do it again. You can't blend it in the way you can with other paints. It gives you a perfect finish off brush or roller. If you don't want a really good finish, and don't want to use a fussy paint, don't use Awlgrip. But - if you want to paint the boat with a roller and brush and achieve a finish that looks like someone who knew what they were doing spray painted it, then use Awlgrip (or the other stuff I don't know the name of). I've also heard good things about the top-of-the-range International paint - Superb or something like that, but I haven't tried it.

I'm not a very good painter and I do love using Awlgrip!

Rick
                        Rick

Comment

• RFNK
                          Port Stephens, Australia
                          • Feb 2007

The International paint is called Perfection. It's a two-pack, pretty sure it's polyurethane. I bought some International Toplac when Bunnings sold off all their marine paints for next to nothing and it's really nice. I'm using it for a lot of Masina's interior. Very easy to use as long as the weather's not too hot.

Rick
                          Rick

Comment

• Phil Y
                            Banned
                            • Apr 2010

Hmmmm. I don't need perfect and don't want fussy. So I'm not too excited about awlgrip at this stage. Easy to apply, hard wearing, great at hiding poor preparation, easy to touch up small cracks, scratches and dings and looks OK when dirty at 20 feet away would make me happy.

Comment

• Geftb
                              Good Enough For the Bush
                              • Aug 2017

It's not hard at all but you do have to follow the procedure closely. I can step it out for you as long as you promise to (a) do exactly as you're told, (b) not complain, and (c) not blame me if you stuff it up.

Rick
                              well... that rules that out.

Comment

• Geftb
                                Good Enough For the Bush
                                • Aug 2017

I really like the company and many of their products but I've had no luck with their two-pack paints. I hate to say it but I really hate their two-pack primer, and I haven't been able to achieve a good finish with their two-pack poly finish coat. It could be just my technique.

I spoke to a painter who rolled another paint onto a big cat in December and that came up really well. I could find out the name of that paint but it'll take me a while to find out.

Rick
                                cheers

Comment

Working...