Page 1070 of 1070 FirstFirst ... 705709701020106010691070
Results 37,416 to 37,434 of 37434

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

  1. #37416
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    22,514

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    I'm looking at alternatives to getting my boat to Boatworks.
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

    John Welsford

  2. #37417
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Wongawallan Oz
    Posts
    14,224

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    I'm looking at alternatives to getting my boat to Boatworks.
    You should bring her up later this week while Bruce is there.
    Larks

    “It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

    LPBC Beneficiary

    "Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

  3. #37418
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    22,514

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    You should bring her up later this week while Bruce is there.
    I'd love to but the Tweed bar is a tad unfriendly these days.
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

    John Welsford

  4. #37419
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    22,514

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Well some good news the new hatch for the cockpit rebuild arrived today.
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

    John Welsford

  5. #37420
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    14,742

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    So is Bruce staying on the boat tonight? It's certainly an exciting time! When we bought Masina, a couple of friends and I flew to Christchurch then drove straight to Nelson, which was about 7 hours I think? And we slept on the boat from then til we arrived in Newcastle. When we bought Pipsqueak, a couple of friends and I boarded the boat at about 9pm, then I got a lift to a garage and bought some fuel, returned to the boat, and we decided to sleep on the boat and sail Sydney to Pt Stephens in the morning. But it was a rainy, muggy night and we quickly realised that we wouldn't sleep anyway, so we left at about 11pm. But the wiring was shot so every time I turned the nav lights on, the fuse blew. So we motored out of Sydney Harbour at midnight with a torch shining on the main whenever a boat came close. There was no wind until we got a southerly just off Harbord. We poled out the jib and winged out the main and didn't touch the rig until we turned into Pt Stephens the following afternoon. A few weeks later I discovered that the forestay was detached from the stem and really only held by the plywood forepeak. But I was already in love so it didn't matter.

    I hope it all goes well Bruce and she's all you hope her to be. That's been my experience and I reckon it'll be yours too.

    Rick

  6. #37421
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Wongawallan Oz
    Posts
    14,224

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    So is Bruce staying on the boat tonight? It's certainly an exciting time! When we bought Masina, a couple of friends and I flew to Christchurch then drove straight to Nelson, which was about 7 hours I think? And we slept on the boat from then til we arrived in Newcastle. When we bought Pipsqueak, a couple of friends and I boarded the boat at about 9pm, then I got a lift to a garage and bought some fuel, returned to the boat, and we decided to sleep on the boat and sail Sydney to Pt Stephens in the morning. But it was a rainy, muggy night and we quickly realised that we wouldn't sleep anyway, so we left at about 11pm. But the wiring was shot so every time I turned the nav lights on, the fuse blew. So we motored out of Sydney Harbour at midnight with a torch shining on the main whenever a boat came close. There was no wind until we got a southerly just off Harbord. We poled out the jib and winged out the main and didn't touch the rig until we turned into Pt Stephens the following afternoon. A few weeks later I discovered that the forestay was detached from the stem and really only held by the plywood forepeak. But I was already in love so it didn't matter.

    I hope it all goes well Bruce and she's all you hope her to be. That's been my experience and I reckon it'll be yours too.

    Rick
    I think he’s overnighting in Bris’ with family and coming down to Ken’s tomorrow
    Larks

    “It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

    LPBC Beneficiary

    "Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

  7. #37422
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    14,742

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Ah, that's nice! So he hasn't seen the boat yet?

    Rick

  8. #37423
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    5,559

    Default

    Not yet

    Sent from my ZTE T610 using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

  9. #37424
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    5,559

    Default

    Overnighting with my god daughter and husband and cat. So lovely to catch up with them.

    Sent from my ZTE T610 using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

  10. #37425
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Australia and Tasmania
    Posts
    10,019

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    I didn't know you had a husband.

  11. #37426
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    5,559

    Default

    I spose you think I brought my cat to brizzie, too.

    Sent from my ZTE T610 using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

  12. #37427
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    5,559

    Default

    A lady tried to chat me up on the plane. I tried to get her to bring her husband and some friends to scrub my boat. Didn't go to plan. She ended up watching a movie on her phone while I snored. Good try though.

    Sent from my ZTE T610 using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

  13. #37428
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Australia and Tasmania
    Posts
    10,019

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    You said you don't snore when you sleep sitting up. Pffft.

  14. #37429
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    5,559

    Default

    I made an exception, just this once.

    Sent from my ZTE T610 using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

  15. #37430
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    5,559

    Default

    Sheila, Jill and James are going to lurk here while I'm travelling. I wrote that post about the lady on the plane to keep Sheila on her toes. I did nag the plane lady to read Drift though, and she offered to buy me a drink. Probably to shut me up.

    Sent from my ZTE T610 using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

  16. #37431

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Hey Guys - I have just started a new thread on People and Places
    "Midwinter Morale Booster"
    For us Assies the Sauna Sail has been a unique and iconic gathering for decades.
    My question is, how will it survive Hazelwoods turnoff?
    The water might have gone cold - but we here don't tend to dump ourselves in the water - however the facilities and fellowship are great!
    There would be a few here that know the place - and a lot of new blood here that might appreciate the opportunity of a get-together?
    How about it?
    Frank

  17. #37432
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    victoria, australia. (1 address now)
    Posts
    41,131

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Frank, I am a member of the SGYC at Inverloch and intend to attend this year. Likely with a better wetsuit though! I sail a Sabre.

  18. #37433
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Wongawallan Oz
    Posts
    14,224

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Sorry, but I have no idea what you are talking about.....
    Larks

    “It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

    LPBC Beneficiary

    "Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

  19. #37434
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    victoria, australia. (1 address now)
    Posts
    41,131

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Hazlewood power station pondage has been a sink of warm water year round, they even put Barramundi in the lake. Brown coal fired station is no longer economic and the French owners have closed it down, removing 70 years of constant employment from the area, and turning the water cold.
    And removing a big slice of Victoria's power.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •