Page 1181 of 1223 FirstFirst ... 1816811081113111711180118111821191 ... LastLast
Results 41,301 to 41,335 of 42802

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Should have just booked it.

I thought I'd be clever and cut my rafters on the ground. Which was dumb because measuring is not one of my skills. I stupidly assumed they would all tbe the same length. Really dumb. I cut them all the same length. Even dumber. Today I removed half of them as they are too short. They will make good firewood.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post

I thought I'd be clever and cut my rafters on the ground. Which was dumb because measuring is not one of my skills. I stupidly assumed they would all tbe the same length. Really dumb. I cut them all the same length. Even dumber. Today I removed half of them as they are too short. They will make good firewood.
    That’s what Kerry said but I don’t plan to go till the first weekend after new year. Bit more research on my part I think. Anyway accomodation, transport and sailing is covered.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

We've all done it!

Rick

'' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Are they going to be visible?
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

It seems that some like that Streeton. Time for an encore or two

IMG20180305112357.jpg
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    The cockpit is covered but it would just be my luck if it bucketed down.
    I’m going to thin out some of my books, the first one on shipping in the early days of the Gibbsland Lakes area is going to a new owner in that area. It’s a book Jeff left with me a while back. I’ll mention them here as I pull them off the shelf...only asking for postage.

Great the hear about the work on Jim, Peter.

Sent from a phone.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    Great the hear about the work on Jim, Peter.

Sent from a phone.
    Yes, it's been about 23 months since I abandoned everything, all I have to do is remember where I was up to !
    Grateful Dead

Yes, it's been about 23 months since I abandoned everything, all I have to do is remember where I was up to !
    Might be having a go at a trip around Cook Island in a couple of weeks, wanna come?

Terrible frame on that Whistler………. Looks like a medieval castle arrow slit.

I read in an exhibition catalogue that some authorities considered that this Streeton may actualy be Sorrento, Italy.

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    The cockpit is covered but it would just be my luck if it bucketed down.
    I’m going to thin out some of my books, the first one on shipping in the early days of the Gibbsland Lakes area is going to a new owner in that area. It’s a book Jeff left with me a while back. I’ll mention them here as I pull them off the shelf...only asking for postage.
    Good Peter, pass it on. In it man called Walsh was mentioned as being an apprentice at Bulls boatyard at lakes entrance. When I was learning to sail on Albert Park Lake I sailed Herons that he had built.

Might be having a go at a trip around Cook Island in a couple of weeks, wanna come?
    Sounds good !
    Grateful Dead

Sounds good !
    Okay I’ll let you know when. It’ll be Kez’s first trip over the bar as well.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    It seems that some like that Streeton. Time for an encore or two

IMG20180305112357.jpg

I used to work with his Grandson Will making furniture. I was invited by Will to a BBQ at Aurthus Streetons house in Olinda one week end and what was interesting apart from the artwork was that the house had been built with peppermint gum timber slats for outside cladding and had never been painted and had never suffered any rot even in Olinda's damp environment! Will said it was because the timber had been cut and milled at the time of the year when the resin content was highest.
    If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question

Are they going to be visible?
    No our fire doesn't have a glass window. But they will make good heat. They are hard and heavy.

On the house? Only the ends under the eaves are visible. But too short is too short. I need something to attach the gutter to. I thought about cutting them above where the ceiling will be, and adding new ends, but I think it's easier, and better, to just start over.

No our fire doesn't have a glass window. But they will make good heat. They are hard and heavy.

On the house? Only the ends under the eaves are visible. But too short is too short. I need something to attach the gutter to. I thought about cutting them above where the ceiling will be, and adding new ends, but I think it's easier, and better, to just start over.

How about just butt blocking a short piece in at the ridge end?

Thought about that, but there's a birdsmouth where it sits on the wall plate, and a row of but blocks all right along near the ridge would be a weak spot. Probably wouldn't matter unless the council,building inspector was having a bad day. And by the time I've taken them down, added a bit to the top end, I might as well just use another bit of wood.

There are a handful of other little snafus borne of inexperience which are making it all seem a bit harder than I had hoped at the moment, but if people would stop asking me to come and do digger jobs I think I'll get over the hump in a couple of days. Mostly about marrying old smaller, sparser framing to new robust, closer framing.

What do you have at the ridge? Could you run a ..... can't remember the name of the board that runs along the ridge in traditional construction!? Will you have collar ties or have you made trusses?

Rick

Ridge board. Could you put a fatter one in?

Rick

The 3 storey gold boom house my great grandparents built opposite Albert Park lake had enormous straight Oregon beams in the Mansard roof supporting slates. From memory 14'' by 9'' by the width of the house.
    Ballast cargo for ships coming here for wheat and wool. There were small rooms built into the roof with small dormers and second narrow staircase built into the wall for independent access, they had 10 children to accomodate.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post

I read in an exhibition catalogue that some authorities considered that this Streeton may actualy be Sorrento, Italy.
    I'd pick those tall tress on the left as Eucalyptus. And those headlands are distinctly like Sydney harbour headlands to me... My money is on Sydney.
    I was just checking out his 'Fire's On' in the Gallery of NSW yesterday. That painting really captures the searing heat and formidable challenge the Australian landscape offers.
    Everyman carries within himself a world made up of all that he has seen and loved; and it is to this world that he returns incessantly, though he may pass through, and seem to inhabit, a world quite foreign to it.
    Chateau-Briand, Voyage en Italie.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    The 3 storey gold boom house my great grandparents built opposite Albert Park lake had enormous straight Oregon beams in the Mansard roof supporting slates. From memory 14'' by 9'' by the width of the house.
    Ballast cargo for ships coming here for wheat and wool. There were small rooms built into the roof with small dormers and second narrow staircase built into the wall for independent access, they had 10 children to accomodate.
    They don't build them like they used to!
    If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question

This one's taken at a bit of an angle....

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

Old rafters are out. New rafters are in. Now I just have to take the hip beams down and cut a bit of a birds mouth in their undersides and we are back on track. Heavy buggers they are. But I feel in more of a winning mood than I was yesterday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okay I’ll let you know when. It’ll be Kez’s first trip over the bar as well.
    Could you rephrase that ? Please .
    Grateful Dead

Could you rephrase that ? Please .
    Okay, I'm hoping to go out and do a sail around Cook Island, hence crossing the bar.

Thanks !
    Grateful Dead

Rick, do you recognise this boat . https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/nels...hy-/1041577718

Grateful Dead

I've seen it advertised online before but I haven't seen it on the water or anywhere else.

Rick

The reason I asked is the sellers address seems close to yours. It's a pretty boat and VERY expensive !
    Grateful Dead

And now for the weather...in a word, wet. It seems if I want something to not happen all I have to do is say I am going to do it.

Dry here, and I could do with another week or two of that. Once the roof is on some rain would be good.

Dry here, and I could do with another week or two of that. Once the roof is on some rain would be good.
    Sealed the last bit of roof last evening, just a bit of goop on a profiled flashing to stop wind-driven water finding its way in. Bring on the rain.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

I just emptied my rain gauge .... 95 mm in 2 days.
    Grateful Dead