Page 1180 of 1223 FirstFirst ... 1806801080113011701179118011811190 ... LastLast
Results 41,266 to 41,300 of 42786

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Working on a few small jobs for the boat. This one needs doing so I can get off the wharf and go for a sail.
    I was going to fit the fuel tank up under the starboard cockpit seat but I've decided to fit it hard up against the transom on the cockpit sole. it will be out of the way but easy to get at.
    These chocks will hold it in place.
    20180304_103312.jpg

I've been puzzling on how to do my washboards for the new companion way so I made a rough mock up of it. It slopes forward so it creates an interesting angle to the cabin top. At the moment I'm thinking of having it hinged so when fully open it sits flat against the forward end of the cockpit. Keep in mind this is testing the idea so weather stops etc aren't fitted yet.

20180304_103812.jpg

20180304_103755.jpg

20180304_103735.jpg
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

Why have hinges Gary? It's a tough environment for hinges and they don't really serve much purpose. Two or three piece floors in cockpits are common and easier to manage when you have cleaning etc. to do. Good idea to mock it up. It's something I need to do more often.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Got most of our our roof framing done today. Well probably half of it to be realistic. Pretty bloody pleased with the progress though. No pictures until the iPhone syncs with the universe. But in the meantime, enjoy our new cockpit lights. Cheap LED strip lights with their own little battery pack. No need to run a wire into the main system. I expect they won't last all that long but they just stick on with double sided tape.
    Attachment 11985
    David has a similar setup on his boat. They do fail from time to time but, generally speaking, it works really well.

And yes, way TMI!

Rick

This is my new hiking stick for the tiller.
    20180304_103510.jpg

The other job is to replace the old main hatch. You can see why I cut the Moreton Bay trip short.
    australia2017 221.jpg

I'm replacing it with this which will give a lower profile. It's not really lockable but I'm quite protected where I am.

20180304_103334.jpg

I'm considering this as temporary as I'd like to fit a Hasler rotatable pram hood.
    20180304_124432.jpg
    A bit like a plastic dome but better.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Why have hinges Gary? It's a tough environment for hinges and they don't really serve much purpose. Two or three piece floors in cockpits are common and easier to manage when you have cleaning etc. to do. Good idea to mock it up. It's something I need to do more often.

Rick
    It's not a floor Rick, it's to go here.
    australia2017 221.jpg

Gary,I've been thinking of something similar, to have the companionway boards hinged together horizontally so they don't get lost.
    the invisible man........

Not bad considering those are flat cut sails.

Went to Iron Knob for a wind vane. Guess what I came back with...

Sent from a phone.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

You were wearing your rose coloured glasses again weren't you?

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    It's not a floor Rick, it's to go here.
    australia2017 221.jpg
    Oh, that's what happens when I only look at the pitchas! Carry on! And no whingeing!

Rick

Clear is good on a sea boat as it allows communication with a helmsman while you're warm and dry inside!

Happy with the vane Bruce?

Rick

Just arrived home with the vane. All day at the wheel. I'll look at the vane tomorrow.

Sent from a phone.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Shoulda rigged the vane on the merc.

image.jpg

We have a small washboard up top, which can be removed if we just want a bit of ventilation. Then the vertically hinged main hatch, with glass. Then below that there's another washboard. It's top is about the same height as the cockpit seats. Remove for easy access. Leave in if the weather is really scary and you think you might get a wave in the cockpit. But that would have to be really scary.
    To be Frankk, I reckon a 3 part hinged washboard assembly would be a pain to deal with. I'd just go 3 seperate boards. If you were clever one of them would do double duty as an athwartships cockpit seat or table or something.
    Last edited by Phil Y; 03-04-2018 at 02:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    Went to Iron Knob for a wind vane. Guess what I came back with...

Sent from a phone.
    I reckon Gary could fix that up in a couple of weeks.

Bit of bog, a gallon of varnish, some elbow grease, no worries.
    Hey, Iron Knob? Did they get a king tide or something?

No, ah, .... wait ......

Rick

If you were clever one of them would do double duty as an athwartships cockpit seat or table or something.
    That is one idea.

It's wood. What could possibly go wrong?

Sent from a phone.
    Paperback E-book

I reckon Gary could fix that up in a couple of weeks.
    How much money you wanna throw at it?

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    How much money you wanna throw at it?
    It surely can't be expensive. It's just some bits of ply wood and some glue. A patch here and there and WHOOSH it will go.
    Paperback E-book

Just realised its a Hartley 16.

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    It surely can't be expensive. It's just some bits of ply wood and some glue. A patch here and there and WHOOSH it will go.
    It will depend on the state of the framing. The stringers and chines tend to pool water quite well.

Well, I didn't buy it so it is sitting on the side of the road in Iron Knob still. The transom was mostly gone and the hull planking was not as good as the photo shows. Very sad indeed.

Sent from a phone.
    Paperback E-book

Culture time

IMG20180305113159.jpg
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

Nice !
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

I actually spent a few hours on JIM today, things are looking up.
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    I actually spent a few hours on JIM today, things are looking up.
    Definite thumbs up.

Very good!

I started the process of getting Masina's new engine prepared for installation today. I've started a thread in Misc.

Also been asked to help with delivery of a boat. The guy's from Adelaide and just bought a boat on Lake Macquarie. But before he takes it down there he wants to sail through the Hawkesbury so we're going to sail with him from Lake Mac down to Broken Bay, probably early next week. It's a 30' yacht, supposed to be in great condition. I've never sailed out of Swansea so I'm looking forward to it.

Rick

It looks like a pretty shallow exit Rick.
    Grateful Dead

It has shallow and deep sections but the channel is deep. There are plenty of biggish racers that go in and out there.

Rick

More culture

IMG20180305112458.jpg
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    It has shallow and deep sections but the channel is deep. There are plenty of biggish racers that go in and out there.

Rick
    You'll be OK on a 30 footer at the moment. You needed top of a decent tide to get in with a 2.1m draft early in January, and I saw a 40ft-ish cruiser jam onto the sand twice a week or two ago. At the dropover, the channel is currently actually outside the buoys.

Weather and health permitting I plan to get a good bit of work done on Redwing come Thursday. I was hoping to do it on the weekend but SWHMBO has decreed that she needs the car. The trade off is I can have it Thursday.
    So still feeling a little like Luke warm excrement but a bit of time in the shed tomorrow should see a few bits ready to fit...including the fuel tank, the one bit keeping me on the wharf.
    Saw an airfare special today $286 return to Auckland. Should have walked in and asked some questions...next time.