Page 189 of 1038 FirstFirst ... 89139179188189190199239289689 ... LastLast
Results 6,581 to 6,615 of 36317

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

I know, it's JB's fault - he made me do it!

JB, yep, I've heard a bit about the tripping up characteristics of these boats and the wisdom of toning down but can you tell me, how does this affect their performance running before a big sea? Is there an increased risk of broaching or tripping in that circumstance?

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    35 - 40 Gary

Rick
    I guess it goes without saying that only timber boats need apply?
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

John Welsford

Indeed

Rick

I know, it's JB's fault - he made me do it!

JB, yep, I've heard a bit about the tripping up characteristics of these boats and the wisdom of toning down but can you tell me, how does this affect their performance running before a big sea? Is there an increased risk of broaching or tripping in that circumstance?

Rick
    Others more qualified to comment I suspect Rick, but I'd heard the same so for the last few years or so I've been asking. Without exception I've been told it just isn't an issue.
    I think its only when they're driven race hard that they do the squirrel act. A lot of the earlier types have been modified with a seperate rudder further aft so that helps( Like the S and S Satanita), the later ones already have rudders aft on a skeg . But if you're cruising you'll be working through the program of reducing sail, heaving to or fore reaching ,or setting a drogue when its at that stage anyway.

Look at the famous Sand S 34 from the 80's
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S%26S_34

Thats just a development of the sort of boat we're talking about and they've done mega.
    Last edited by John B; 12-10-2012 at 09:54 PM.

I talked to David, my boating mate and mentor here today about it. He used to race on a very similar boat called Corroboree. He basically said exactly what you said. Overpowered on a run, they trip over but running hard without a kite, they go well. And they're not prone to broaching or tripping on waves. All good news. In fact David's only concern about the IORs is their lack of accommodation for length, but that doesn't bother me.

John sent over a bit of info about the boat - I'm hoping he'll send a bit more! but I'd say a trip to Godzone is likely fairly soon, just to look at this stage. Off to Brisbane tomorrow to look at another S&S!

Rick

Wongawallan Queensland....wait....no, Darwin NT...for now

I talked to David, my boating mate and mentor here today about it. He used to race on a very similar boat called Corroboree. He basically said exactly what you said. Overpowered on a run, they trip over but running hard without a kite, they go well. And they're not prone to broaching or tripping on waves. All good news. In fact David's only concern about the IORs is their lack of accommodation for length, but that doesn't bother me.

John sent over a bit of info about the boat - I'm hoping he'll send a bit more! but I'd say a trip to Godzone is likely fairly soon, just to look at this stage. Off to Brisbane tomorrow to look at another S&S!

Rick
    If you're in no screaming hurry to get over there Rick, 26-27 Jan might be a decent sort of weekend to plan to be there for...........
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

It's a bit hot and humid to be comfortable in the shed today so I went to find a tool shop. I came back with two pull-saws and a flat micro-plane gizmo. I wore my last pull saw blade out so it was time for a replacement. I got a whole new saw, with a fine pitch blade on one edge and a coarser ripping blade on the other. Also a narrow-bladed keyhole pull-saw with a nice wooden handle.

The micro-plane is interesting. I'd read about them but never took any notice. I figured they are just a very expensive version of a surform. So far this one does seem to be useful for evening up jigsaw-cut edges of ply, even though I've given up in the heat after only a short stint. Anyone have experience of these and want to comment?

Bruce

Hey, our little thread turned 1 today! Happy birthday everyone! And thanks to everyone for keeping it alive!

Rick

My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

John Welsford

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Harry Pidgeon syndrome
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Hey Peter it would have been good to have sat down and had a yarn and a Latte today. My consolation in not being able to is I'm been paid to set up a bunch of new computers for the new Centre.

John Welsford

Nothing boatwise happening here today, surfing instead though 'surf' was somewhat of an exaggeration. Water's nice though and I floated about for an hour or so. Big night last night, street party at our place. Lot's of booze as no one needed a car but a few had trouble with our steep drive. A real old fashioned party.
    A bit jealous with all the talk of new boats, but I made that decision when Mike offered me Sanderling.
    Hey Rick, going to turn the twister into a granny flat after all?

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Hey Peter it would have been good to have sat down and had a yarn and a Latte today. My consolation in not being able to is I'm been paid to set up a bunch of new computers for the new Centre.
    I had no time anyway, I was off to see Mum just afterwards for the Nursing Home Christmas lunch. I was there 3 hours and had a great time .
    Grateful Dead

Not sure what we'll do with the Twister Jeff. It's a great design and there's some good gear goes with it but I don't know who's out there to take her on!

We spent the day in Brisbane today looking at boats, and talking to a fellow up there who knows an awful lot about Tasman Seabirds - all good news. Anyway, we have a lot to think about and to consider - just tossing options around at the moment! T reckons she's settled on THE one but there's still plenty to consider I reckon. So, we'll see!

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    I had no time anyway, I was off to see Mum just afterwards for the Nursing Home Christmas lunch. I was there 3 hours and had a great time .
    There's a good chance Redwing will be ready for her first sail early in January so maybe catch up then.

John Welsford

That sounds great Gary, I look forward to it!
    Grateful Dead

We're getting stuff aboard for our annual cruise after christmas this year leaving the day after boxing day if the weather cooperates. 200 litres of fuel yesterday all 20 litres at a time so I could calibrate it into that tank. Just have to get through a week or so , have an entire extended family around for christmas day, and cross fingers.

Above flood level, Northern NSW, Australia

Maybe the Twister can still be a project Rick? I mean a chap can never have enough boats... Look at John, and I've got four here.

And happy birthday this thread... Yay!
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

The Bureau of Meteorology says it's 35 C already, before 11:00am. It feels much hotter than that in the shed. I'm doing a little bit of cleaning up of jigsaw cut edges. The micro-plane thing seems to be working OK, I just have to be careful not to plane myself along with the wood. After many metres of plywood edges, it seems to be holding its cutting edge pretty well. I'll bevel the edges that need bevelling next, just to get that out of the way. I'm not going to cast the lead CB plate in this heat - we did a lifetimes worth of casting in terrible heat conditions when I was a lad and I don't think I'll go back there. Slow steady progress, no huge milestones passed yet, but it's happening.

Bruce in Adelaide

I use a curved and a straight spokeshave for that job Bruce. It seems to work.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Gibbs View Post
    Maybe the Twister can still be a project Rick? I mean a chap can never have enough boats... Look at John, and I've got four here.

And happy birthday this thread... Yay!
    I have aspirations along simpler lines. The Twister would be an ideal project for a young, energetic fellow such as ..... you!

Rick

^and thanks for starting the thing.
    Xanthorrea

Just tow it up and dump it in his drive Rick, he won't be able to resist.

Hot and very gusty from the north, bushfire wind. High black cloud overhead and some risk of storms evidently down Rob's way. I can open my shed up and though it get's dusty I reckon I'll do some easy stuff in there. Turned the beer fridge on for the summer last night.

I've called it quits. Temp peaked well over 40 c in the shed and I'm pooped. A cool breeze has sprung up but I'm already broken. On the home stretch with cleaning up the cuts on the bulkheads and planks though.

Bruce

I use a curved and a straight spokeshave for that job Bruce. It seems to work.

Rick
    One day I'll get good with the spokeshave. I've got a curved plate one and hinted loudly yesterday how much I wanted a new plat plate one, but SWMBO seemed non-plussed. I like that the micro-plane thing has a long flat base that helps with the long flat and short convex curved bits. It can be made to be useful for the concave cuts with a bit of imagination. I'm looking for an excuse to use the new pull-saws as well.

Bruce

Well , after getting to 35C+ , hot and humid , we got a change come through around 1600 , with some rain.
    The temp dropped to 20 C , very pleasant !.
    Rob J.

Sounds ideal Rob. Adelaide got to 37, dropped to 30, and it's trying to rain. t will be good if we can get a little bit overnight to cool off the buildings and the roads a bit. Sounds like I should be sailing to Portland for the weather

Bruce

We were in Portland when the rain came , and it just turned to steam initially.
    You are welcome to come for a sail Bruce , if you are over this way.
    If you sailed here for the weather , Murphy's law says it will turn to crap !.
    Rob J.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    That sounds great Gary, I look forward to it!
    Spent some time in the shed this arvo after work, just putting together the bits and pieces I will need on Saturday for the mast raising. No good being up at the boat and thinking bugger, I forgot the No 4 Burrent Turner. Even put the stilsons in so I can give the stuffingbox an extra turn or two.

John Welsford

What sort of spokeshave do you want Bruce, I made a collection of them at one stage or another and may have what you want.
    Drank too much beer in the shed this arvo and didn't get much done. Hot till the change, bit of a drizzle but now it's warm and humid. Downy mildew weather on my zucchini and pumpkins. Hope to get on the water tomorrow even if it rains, that's what spray covers are for and as my granny always said, skin is waterproof.

They have had a good drop over in the SW of WA I see , a bit of damage done.
    Any first hand experiences ?.
    Rob J.

Samoa's copping a hiding - I hope no one got caught out in that!
    Rick

Cat 2, unpleasant but nothing like the stuff that hit the Phillipines. Shudder .
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    What sort of spokeshave do you want Bruce, I made a collection of them at one stage or another and may have what you want.
    Anything idiot proof with a flat sole plate. I just need to practice with something.

Bruce