Page 132 of 369 FirstFirst ... 3282122131132133142182232 ... LastLast
Results 6,551 to 6,600 of 18403

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

What's CLR? Isn't it some stuff for cleaning pots? And you've lost me on the torsional stuff - I get the idea of different profiles for different purposes. As far as working out the mast actually needed, I'd be somewhat inclined to go with AP's specs as there's a pretty good chance that his nasal hairs contained more info re rigging than this BOLB. Anyway, Tassie's the destination donchaknow so overbuilt = kosher in the BOLB book!

By the way, that Struen Marie's in Southport now but due to arrive at your place for Christmas. There's a chance we'll have a look at it this Wednesday.

I'll keep an eye out for that hat too Gary!

Rick

This search is really warming up Rick !
    Try to work out what the marketing guy wants you to do then do precisely the opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    What's CLR? Isn't it some stuff for cleaning pots? And you've lost me on the torsional stuff - I get the idea of different profiles for different purposes. As far as working out the mast actually needed, I'd be somewhat inclined to go with AP's specs as there's a pretty good chance that his nasal hairs contained more info re rigging than this BOLB. Anyway, Tassie's the destination donchaknow so overbuilt = kosher in the BOLB book!

By the way, that Struen Marie's in Southport now but due to arrive at your place for Christmas. There's a chance we'll have a look at it this Wednesday.

I'll keep an eye out for that hat too Gary!

Rick
    Let me know if you see it Rick.
    In 1944 a children’s book club sent a volume about penguins to a 10-year-old girl, enclosing a card seeking her opinion.
    She wrote, “This book gives me more information about penguins than I care to have.”
    American diplomat Hugh Gibson called it the finest piece of literary criticism he had ever read.

Well, yes - but mostly because as Shamus says, people are so generous with their help - it's inspiring! Phil and Bruce have spent half a day looking at a boat in Adelaide, John H spent a day with me already in Brisbane looking at boats, now John B's put the cat among the pigeons with this winner from TLOTLWC, Purri's been filtering the Sydney scene and Shamus's joined in as well to drag my attention back to the mighty TS! The interest from all of you in this is great! I should tell you though that T took one look at Quicksilver and said 'that's the one!'

I really appreciate the interest and all the help but I hope you're all enjoying the ride too! I really like looking at boats and just seeing what's out there so I reckon you lot do too, but we've pretty much decided here that we're going to buy one through all this, so stay tuned!

Rick

Quicksilver looks very comfortable indoors.
    Shall we bring her back via Lord Howe?

Is there any other way?

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Let me know if you see it Rick.
    Promise I will - but you know the rule!

Rick

Cape Horn?

I dragged out my copy of Davis' Australian Ocean Racing to refresh myself on the Tasman Seabird. Ronita Ronita Ronita.... she's mentioned all through it under Cottee ownership. It finishes at the 1966 Sydney Hobart but just as a little coincidence , in that last race was the S and S Satanita owned by Ron Wilkie. Wilkie as in Wilkie winches , very fine bronze winches , Riada is full of them. Anyyyyway, back in the early 80's my school friend Ray owned Satanita, and Ray bought her off John , the man who now owns Quicksilver.
    And Ray is the bloke who recently went to Californ eye eh to buy the big Halvorsen motor cruiser Pollock XIII from Suisun city. Pics in my thread in misc boat.
    Satanita , which is more of a RORC style ( Circa 1964 build .. but perhaps transitioning into that ' tonner' look, is moored quite close to us , we can see her most times when we go out. Actually come to think of it , she's a Firebrand sister IIRC. Famous Sand S racer.

Quote Originally Posted by rfnk View Post
    promise i will - but you know the rule!

Rick
    In 1944 a children’s book club sent a volume about penguins to a 10-year-old girl, enclosing a card seeking her opinion.
    She wrote, “This book gives me more information about penguins than I care to have.”
    American diplomat Hugh Gibson called it the finest piece of literary criticism he had ever read.

John I once asked Neville Cottee if they did many Mornington Island races. He said "Oh heaps, we raced a lot, but we always had a tuna line out..."

There are some really lovely boats on that trademe site ! This one is just about perfect .http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boat...-531098402.htm

Try to work out what the marketing guy wants you to do then do precisely the opposite.

That is nice Peter.

I can report very sad goings on here. Excitedly went to inspect a wooden boat (OK epoxied ply) with the view to making an offer. The suspect is a 5yo TS go fast design with all the gear that is offered at half replacement cost even if owner built. Unfortunately the chanselor of the exchequer threatened all sorts of dire consequences so with tail between legs I retreated bruised but not beaten.

Sad indeed! You'll have to build one .

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Sad indeed! You'll have to build one .
    Hmm.......take me about 15 years and a marriage to build a 26'er

Have you ever considered lowering your standards to those of mortal men? It would be faster .

Peter here http://www.logbookfruition.com/main....xt&txt=forsale is a boat you could load all of the family in comfortably , and just go.
    Check the engine.
    Rob J.

Quote Originally Posted by Portland View Post
    Peter here http://www.logbookfruition.com/main....xt&txt=forsale is a boat you could load all of the family in comfortably , and just go.
    Check the engine.
    Rob J.
    Wow that is georgeous

Too big for me Rob, I couldn't afford to run or slip her but yes, magnificent .

I'd take the boat I posted above.

It would be wasted on just me , but for a family wanting to take it easy , yes , it would be special.
    Rob J.

Mandurah, Western Oz....or Wongawallan Qld......or....er..somewhere in-between

There are some really lovely boats on that trademe site ! This one is just about perfect .http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boat...-531098402.htm
    I'm sensing a bit of a sail in company?? You and Rick will be flooded with crew offers.
    Larks

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
    Because those that matter...don't mind...
    And those that mind.... don't matter."

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Quote Originally Posted by Portland View Post
    Yes, my BIL emailed that through to me earlier this evening. A few people will be missing out on their Christmas outings this year by the looks of it, but I gather no one was hurt and boats can be replaced.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Hey Rob, that boat's nice but don't you think the windmill they're throwing in would look a bit cheesy at your place?

That Cox is a beauty Peter - looks like it has everything to go too!

Rick

Rick I think I would prefer the windmill than all of the birdblenders we have infesting the place now !.
    The boat is very nice , but I'd feel lonely , its way too big for me.
    I wouldn't worry about slipping costs so much , slipping would be a good excuse for a trip to Tassie.
    Rob J.

Rick what size are you looking for? Just in case I spot something up this way.

35 - 40 Gary

Rick

Revery time, ex Cotton blossom 4 or 5 ,and after that she was Papillion for a while. (ediot: Cotton Blossom V, Its written in the ad)

Friends of mine own her too, although I've lost touch due to the geographical aspect. They spent a few years overseas and I was surprised to see her for sale. I actually sort of 'minded ' her for a while after they came back from Tonga and she was kept close to Waione on the pile moorings at Westhaven. I intercepted a badly chafed mooring line and after that I had keys to her.
    She's of a very similar model to Satanita I was talking about earlier and is one of the boats I mean when I spoke about seakeeping and how well mannered they are when sailed as you do when cruising.
    Typically if you talk of racing them the subject of handling under kite will come up. You drive them too fast and they can go a bit squirrelly, but the reality is you just do not sail that way when loaded up for a cruise. Quicksilver is just that next generation type and was on for a similar price initially

Both the sort of boats that you can stick a ton or two of gear on as you do and still maintain a comfortable high average speed. They also don't go a lot slower when you cut back on the foretriangle and as I said to Rick, you leave the #1 in the garage. With a #2 or #3 on they still maintain a good passage speed , so they aren't hard to handle.
    Last edited by John B; 12-13-2012 at 06:50 PM.

Oh yes please!! But mate, you've crossed over to the dark side....once you start looking on trademe there's no saving you......
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

I know, it's JB's fault - he made me do it!

JB, yep, I've heard a bit about the tripping up characteristics of these boats and the wisdom of toning down but can you tell me, how does this affect their performance running before a big sea? Is there an increased risk of broaching or tripping in that circumstance?

Rick

35 - 40 Gary

Rick
    I guess it goes without saying that only timber boats need apply?

Indeed

Rick

I know, it's JB's fault - he made me do it!

JB, yep, I've heard a bit about the tripping up characteristics of these boats and the wisdom of toning down but can you tell me, how does this affect their performance running before a big sea? Is there an increased risk of broaching or tripping in that circumstance?

Rick
    Others more qualified to comment I suspect Rick, but I'd heard the same so for the last few years or so I've been asking. Without exception I've been told it just isn't an issue.
    I think its only when they're driven race hard that they do the squirrel act. A lot of the earlier types have been modified with a seperate rudder further aft so that helps( Like the S and S Satanita), the later ones already have rudders aft on a skeg . But if you're cruising you'll be working through the program of reducing sail, heaving to or fore reaching ,or setting a drogue when its at that stage anyway.

Look at the famous Sand S 34 from the 80's
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S%26S_34

Thats just a development of the sort of boat we're talking about and they've done mega.
    Last edited by John B; 12-10-2012 at 09:54 PM.

I talked to David, my boating mate and mentor here today about it. He used to race on a very similar boat called Corroboree. He basically said exactly what you said. Overpowered on a run, they trip over but running hard without a kite, they go well. And they're not prone to broaching or tripping on waves. All good news. In fact David's only concern about the IORs is their lack of accommodation for length, but that doesn't bother me.

John sent over a bit of info about the boat - I'm hoping he'll send a bit more! but I'd say a trip to Godzone is likely fairly soon, just to look at this stage. Off to Brisbane tomorrow to look at another S&S!

Rick

I talked to David, my boating mate and mentor here today about it. He used to race on a very similar boat called Corroboree. He basically said exactly what you said. Overpowered on a run, they trip over but running hard without a kite, they go well. And they're not prone to broaching or tripping on waves. All good news. In fact David's only concern about the IORs is their lack of accommodation for length, but that doesn't bother me.

John sent over a bit of info about the boat - I'm hoping he'll send a bit more! but I'd say a trip to Godzone is likely fairly soon, just to look at this stage. Off to Brisbane tomorrow to look at another S&S!

Rick
    If you're in no screaming hurry to get over there Rick, 26-27 Jan might be a decent sort of weekend to plan to be there for...........
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

It's a bit hot and humid to be comfortable in the shed today so I went to find a tool shop. I came back with two pull-saws and a flat micro-plane gizmo. I wore my last pull saw blade out so it was time for a replacement. I got a whole new saw, with a fine pitch blade on one edge and a coarser ripping blade on the other. Also a narrow-bladed keyhole pull-saw with a nice wooden handle.

The micro-plane is interesting. I'd read about them but never took any notice. I figured they are just a very expensive version of a surform. So far this one does seem to be useful for evening up jigsaw-cut edges of ply, even though I've given up in the heat after only a short stint. Anyone have experience of these and want to comment?

Bruce

Hey, our little thread turned 1 today! Happy birthday everyone! And thanks to everyone for keeping it alive!

Rick

Harry Pidgeon syndrome

Hey Peter it would have been good to have sat down and had a yarn and a Latte today. My consolation in not being able to is I'm been paid to set up a bunch of new computers for the new Centre.

Nothing boatwise happening here today, surfing instead though 'surf' was somewhat of an exaggeration. Water's nice though and I floated about for an hour or so. Big night last night, street party at our place. Lot's of booze as no one needed a car but a few had trouble with our steep drive. A real old fashioned party.
    A bit jealous with all the talk of new boats, but I made that decision when Mike offered me Sanderling.
    Hey Rick, going to turn the twister into a granny flat after all?

Hey Peter it would have been good to have sat down and had a yarn and a Latte today. My consolation in not being able to is I'm been paid to set up a bunch of new computers for the new Centre.
    I had no time anyway, I was off to see Mum just afterwards for the Nursing Home Christmas lunch. I was there 3 hours and had a great time .

Not sure what we'll do with the Twister Jeff. It's a great design and there's some good gear goes with it but I don't know who's out there to take her on!

We spent the day in Brisbane today looking at boats, and talking to a fellow up there who knows an awful lot about Tasman Seabirds - all good news. Anyway, we have a lot to think about and to consider - just tossing options around at the moment! T reckons she's settled on THE one but there's still plenty to consider I reckon. So, we'll see!

Rick

I had no time anyway, I was off to see Mum just afterwards for the Nursing Home Christmas lunch. I was there 3 hours and had a great time .
    There's a good chance Redwing will be ready for her first sail early in January so maybe catch up then.

That sounds great Gary, I look forward to it!

We're getting stuff aboard for our annual cruise after christmas this year leaving the day after boxing day if the weather cooperates. 200 litres of fuel yesterday all 20 litres at a time so I could calibrate it into that tank. Just have to get through a week or so , have an entire extended family around for christmas day, and cross fingers.

Maybe the Twister can still be a project Rick? I mean a chap can never have enough boats... Look at John, and I've got four here.

And happy birthday this thread... Yay!
    “For masterpieces are not single and solitary births; they are the outcome of many years of thinking in common, of thinking by the body of the people, so that the experience of the mass is behind the single voice.” Virginia Woolf, A Room of One's Own

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93