Page 78 of 1104 FirstFirst ... 2868777879881281785781078 ... LastLast
Results 2,696 to 2,730 of 38624

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

  1. #2696
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    23,055

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    I'll be using up a bit of precious goodwill going to the WBF in February so, as I manage a group of schools, I'll only be able to join in if our raid is during NSW school holidays. But don't let that interfere with any planning - we can always fly up for a weekend and I could take a day or so to add to a weekend for something as important as this!

    Rick
    The idea of sailing up has gotten into my head and lodged there. I've even stepped it off in Opencpn.
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

    John Welsford

  2. #2697
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    2,654

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Now you're talking sir!

  3. #2698
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    23,055

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by johnno View Post
    Now you're talking sir!
    Yes well you know you've nearly finished when you have to start thinking about where you are going to go with it eh.
    After all, it's only about 140 nm...he said.
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

    John Welsford

  4. #2699
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    23,055

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    What's happened you blokes, cat got yer tongue?
    It's too quiet here.
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

    John Welsford

  5. #2700
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Northern NSW Australia
    Posts
    62,110

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Well, I just got home. A trip to Bris to deliver a bit of furniture to my daughter than over to visit our John and discuss the virtues of various small boats .John's is an excellent design, I reckon it will be perfect for it's allotted task ...it's pretty too !
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

  6. #2701
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Sydney OZ.
    Posts
    11,750

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    But for Matt: Sow and Pigs is a little exposed reef in Sydney Harbour and Brewarrina is a town in NSW. The spirits of the Bundaberg area I suspect would be quite different again so maybe a visit to the local land council or Aboriginal cultural centre might be worthwhile.

    Rick
    Look at the AIATSIS map then suss out the LALC closest or maybe talk to Girringun around Cardwell or the Badjtalla mob further south for indicators.
    The question you will be undoubtedly be asked is "for what purpose" and therefore most appropriate.

  7. #2702
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Adelaide Sth Oz
    Posts
    756

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    OK just had a play with Opencpn......cool what charts are you using?

  8. #2703
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Sydney OZ.
    Posts
    11,750

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    FWIW. Amber K went up on the hard today at Noakes. Sean Langman's Maluka is looking very flash though due to "over restoration" appears much like a plakky period replica. Pity as she continues to put it to the plakkies that timber (note: TIMBER) craft can still cut it. As for the rest then a Port Phillip day sailer and a few other worthy of meritorious acknowledgement.

    I have noted over the last decade a lot less water pollution due to stormwater remediation via fixing busted drains after Mosman Council got a reef up the ring from Ntl Pks , SQIDS traps, far less dog crap organophosphates and far better antifoul (specifically ALTEX) than what even the old TBTs offered back in the day. Back in the water abt THURS.

    What a great motor up and lotsa kingies around though no takes!

  9. #2704
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    23,055

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by m2c1Iw View Post
    OK just had a play with Opencpn......cool what charts are you using?

    I have: BSB East Coast, Cm93(0-40N) which woudn't t work very well but I realised today I didn't have them installed properly, Cm93(0-40S), Cm93ed2_2009,ENC_ROOT SE Asia and US, HDR Aust, New Zealand. I also have the pilot charts somewhere.The CM93 show updated 2009.
    I have already plotted my first trip to Southport.
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

    John Welsford

  10. #2705
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Adelaide Sth Oz
    Posts
    756

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    I have: BSB East Coast, Cm93(0-40N) which woudn't t work very well but I realised today I didn't have them installed properly, Cm93(0-40S), Cm93ed2_2009,ENC_ROOT SE Asia and US, HDR Aust, New Zealand. I also have the pilot charts somewhere.The CM93 show updated 2009.
    I have already plotted my first trip to Southport.
    Great, I've got paper from Sydney to the Whitsundays a few years old now and I remember them costing a fortune. How does the electronic versions run price wise.

  11. #2706
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    23,055

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Mine were free downloads and tend to be a few years out of date. The BSB charts were last updated in 96 I think. The CM93 were updated in 09. The ENC SE Asia are kept up to date and the ENC_Root US are 2010.
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

    John Welsford

  12. #2707
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Adelaide Sth Oz
    Posts
    756

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Mine were free downloads and tend to be a few years out of date. The BSB charts were last updated in 96 I think. The CM93 were updated in 09. The ENC SE Asia are kept up to date and the ENC_Root US are 2010.
    Ah thanks, been doing some browsing and I'm amazed how things have changed in the last few years so much available to download free. My last blue water sailing was late 1990's and paper charts and a couple of Garmins was all I used.

  13. #2708
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    23,055

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    I figure as long as you don't rely on them for pilotage they should be fine. Sandbars might move but land masses and coastlines rarely do...except in NZ and Japan of course.
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

    John Welsford

  14. #2709
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    15,393

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Hope all's well with the lovely Amber K Purri!

    Rick

  15. #2710
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    victoria, australia. (1 address now)
    Posts
    42,977

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Two hours sailing late today to fit with the incoming tide. 10-15 kts onshore so I thrashed up and down the beach on broad reaches bruising my butt on the combing hanging out over the side. I keep promising myself to do something about it too. Still a skiff sailor by nature.

    Got saturday to myself it seems too, I might mount an expedition to French Island early, and then there's a second hand tool dealer back in the hills behind us............ Or maybe a few hours in the surf, that'll be cheaper!

  16. #2711
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Livin' in Oz
    Posts
    52,251

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by m2c1Iw View Post
    Ah thanks, been doing some browsing and I'm amazed how things have changed in the last few years so much available to download free. My last blue water sailing was late 1990's and paper charts and a couple of Garmins was all I used.
    Don't rely too much on your Garmins. Mine wanted me to cross a river today on a suspension bridge... one with two hand hold ropes and a bamboo pole to walk on. Sorry.... not doing that on a motorbike.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

    I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

  17. #2712
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Adelaide Sth Oz
    Posts
    756

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    Don't rely too much on your Garmins. Mine wanted me to cross a river today on a suspension bridge... one with two hand hold ropes and a bamboo pole to walk on. Sorry.... not doing that on a motorbike.
    Mine were your very basic GPS still had to plot a position, fun every hour on a long trip well at least it helped to stay awake on the middle watch.

  18. #2713
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    23,055

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    I sorta realised next weekend is Easter, so I'm going to hold off on the pour till after Easter.
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

    John Welsford

  19. #2714
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    23,055

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    I had the strangest dream this morning. Redwing was used a coffin for some Pacific islander chief/elder. I was quite upset about it but someone did give me a sizable roll of money as compensation .
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

    John Welsford

  20. #2715
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Northern NSW Australia
    Posts
    62,110

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    I've heard of lead lined coffins but lead bottomed ?
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

  21. #2716
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    victoria, australia. (1 address now)
    Posts
    42,977

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Out for an early morning sail today, and did it blow up! Strong and gusty from the north, there's a change coming. Ended up quite wet and earned my bucket of coffee and bacon and eggs. Forgot it's school holidays though, cafe was full of kids, bus load of adolescent girls - the noise!

  22. #2717
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    23,055

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Finished cementing the mold in today. I was going to aim for a pour next Friday but I'm working ($$), so my plan is to wait till after Easter. I spent some time on pulling the fuel pump off the Yanmar today to see if the plunger was seized but it's fine. I'm now wondering if the fuel filter needs to be higher...something to do tomorrow I guess.
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

    John Welsford

  23. #2718
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Australia and Tasmania
    Posts
    11,093

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Maybe it was a hearse rather than a coffin-you must have been cruising through the Pacific Islands, a chief died while visiting away from his home island, and your boat, being the most beautiful they had seen for many years, was selected as the transport to return the great chief to his birthplace. His great grand daughter, a young thing of perhaps 24 or 25 summers, fell hopelessly in love with you and, your wife having sadly passed away shortly before you started this great adventure in the South Seas, you found yourself becoming increasingly fond of this young Polynesian woman, who despite her tender years had the wisdom befitting a future Grand Chief of an island nation. In time she joined you aboard, and you cruised together, visiting the many islands of your adopted kingdom, which until now had been torn apart by tribal fights and jealousies. Together you forged a strong and vibrant nation, a community, which although increasingly threatened by the perils of rising sea levels and rapacious Japanese long liners, became determined to achieve its potential as a strong and peaceful people. The boat itself became a symbol of hope, destiny and nationhood-small, but strong, built over many years with few resources, but unwavering determination. Under the leadership of your new bride, the nation grew in strength. prosperity and confidence. A stable economy was forged, largely on tourism-not trashy commercialised tourism, but a mix of eco tourism, and a new form of tourism, where world leaders came to visit and learn about how people living in a nation of small and dispersed islands could build a peaceful, harmonious and prosperous nation. This learning was taken back across the world, and applied by these leaders within their own countries, and across countries. Wars no longer seemed to be the right way to solve anything, wealth, food, knowledge and medicine were shared. The world prospered like never before. people right around the globe were happy, healthy and free.





    Or maybe you took an islander for a sail and the boat foundered because of a failed glue line somewhere.

  24. #2719
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Northern NSW Australia
    Posts
    62,110

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Phil's on the kava again
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

  25. #2720
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    23,055

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Maybe it was a hearse rather than a coffin-you must have been cruising through the Pacific Islands, a chief died while visiting away from his home island, and your boat, being the most beautiful they had seen for many years, was selected as the transport to return the great chief to his birthplace. His great grand daughter, a young thing of perhaps 24 or 25 summers, fell hopelessly in love with you and, your wife having sadly passed away shortly before you started this great adventure in the South Seas, you found yourself becoming increasingly fond of this young Polynesian woman, who despite her tender years had the wisdom befitting a future Grand Chief of an island nation. In time she joined you aboard, and you cruised together, visiting the many islands of your adopted kingdom, which until now had been torn apart by tribal fights and jealousies. Together you forged a strong and vibrant nation, a community, which although increasingly threatened by the perils of rising sea levels and rapacious Japanese long liners, became determined to achieve its potential as a strong and peaceful people. The boat itself became a symbol of hope, destiny and nationhood-small, but strong, built over many years with few resources, but unwavering determination. Under the leadership of your new bride, the nation grew in strength. prosperity and confidence. A stable economy was forged, largely on tourism-not trashy commercialised tourism, but a mix of eco tourism, and a new form of tourism, where world leaders came to visit and learn about how people living in a nation of small and dispersed islands could build a peaceful, harmonious and prosperous nation. This learning was taken back across the world, and applied by these leaders within their own countries, and across countries. Wars no longer seemed to be the right way to solve anything, wealth, food, knowledge and medicine were shared. The world prospered like never before. people right around the globe were happy, healthy and free.





    Or maybe you took an islander for a sail and the boat foundered because of a failed glue line somewhere.
    Thought the first option sounds a bit Mills&Boon, I think I will go with that. A 25 year old beats a failed glue line any day in my reality.
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

    John Welsford

  26. #2721
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Northern NSW Australia
    Posts
    62,110

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Thought the first option sounds a bit Mills&Boon, I think I will go with that. A 25 year old beats a failed glue line any day in my reality.
    Gary, that is VERY strange comparison but there are some faint similarities.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

  27. #2722
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    23,055

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Gary, that is VERY strange comparison but there are some faint similarities.
    You are right, it's more Jimmy Buffet and if you have ever read any of his books you WILL know what I mean.
    If you haven't, I can lend you one Peter.
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

    John Welsford

  28. #2723
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Sydney OZ.
    Posts
    11,750

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Hope all's well with the lovely Amber K Purri!

    Rick
    Frankly I've bin workin' me ring orf with hull matters and wooding the coach house, contiguous coamings and cockpit trim, the first coat of "vanish" maybe tomoz, thence another 10. I am truly farkanarked!

    With the exception of Malulaka of Kermandie and the Ranger class Vanity the yard is bereft of niceities. Times are certainly difficult around the traps esp the "gold coast" but these are times when the old money sustains the industry in part BUT at a certain price.

    As a wit remarked some weeks ago: "the GC is a different place full of money, drugs and (plakky) boats but few are prepared to spend it on maintenance".

  29. #2724
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Wongawallan Oz
    Posts
    14,691

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    You are right, it's more Jimmy Buffet and if you have ever read any of his books you WILL know what I mean.
    If you haven't, I can lend you one Peter.
    I've got "Where is Joe Merchant?" and "Tales from Margaritaville", which ones do you have Gary?
    Larks

    “It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

    LPBC Beneficiary

    "Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

  30. #2725
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Wongawallan Oz
    Posts
    14,691

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by purri View Post

    As a wit remarked some weeks ago: "the GC is a different place full of money, drugs and (plakky) boats but few are prepared to spend it on maintenance".
    Sounds like something I might have said...if not.....you (he/she) took the words right out of my mouth.......
    Larks

    “It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

    LPBC Beneficiary

    "Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

  31. #2726
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Wongawallan Oz
    Posts
    14,691

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    At the risk of possibly contravening forum rules...here's a link to my Volvo Penta engine sale add, if anyone knows of anyone who may be interested could you pass the word.......:

    http://qld.newsclassifieds.com.au/Bo...ne18hp/1564021
    Larks

    “It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

    LPBC Beneficiary

    "Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

  32. #2727
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    23,055

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    I've got "Where is Joe Merchant?" and "Tales from Margaritaville", which ones do you have Gary?


    I think I have both of those Greg, I'll have to look.
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

    John Welsford

  33. #2728
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    23,055

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Lazy day, I've nothing but read a Terry Pratchett book (Making Money) and snoozing. Needed a day off.
    Greg I have A Pirate Looks at Forty.
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

    John Welsford

  34. #2729
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Northern NSW Australia
    Posts
    62,110

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    I'm totally stuffed ! An enthusiastic day in the shed, varnished some old sash from the bathroom( new glass,revarnish and repaint). Fitted the new single phase motor to the Wadkin sawbench but I'll have to buy new belts,the new motor is slightly larger than the 3 phase one and I hadn't noted the difference .... another trip to town .

    Next the clear out began ! Old ply and MDF ,chipboard and steel ,accumulations of stuff from jobs.I need some room and a bit more open floor! All in a big pile so off to the tip as well as buying belts .

    Moving some stuff in one corner and more termite damage showed up, they have been busy ,no mistake .

    I think I'll need a new floor in the lower section so I'll look around for a deal on some 17mm H3 ply. I'll need 20 sheets of 2400x1200 so if anyone sees a good price could they please let me know .
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

  35. #2730
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Northern NSW Australia
    Posts
    62,110

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    While searching an auction site for the H3 ply I came across this .http://www.graysonline.com/sale/5002...ck-up?spr=true
    All used oregon but VERY cheap and in quite large sizes . Gate 2, 13 Joynton Avenue, Zetland, NSW, 2017
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •