X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brent Kendrick
    landlocked in the midwest
    • Mar 2006

Re: Cruising Plywood Trimaran Design max 24/26ft

Thanks! She sails quite well. Rated PHRF about on par with the Farrier F31/F28 boats, but the mostly plywood construction makes for a fast build. The Colorado mountain lake winds make it tense sometimes, lot of sail area combined with wind shifts and fast storm fronts.

Comment

• Lucky Luke
      • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Mike Banks
      If I was to go for a trimaran of the size you mention--I would choose a Farrier (or some other similar design) trailer-tri. Problem solved--especially the one where the unattended vessel gets looted or set adrift, something that happens here from time to time.
      Sorry for responding late to this thread.
      I can only wholeheartedly second that, Mike! And also: why systematically go for fifty over years old designs???? The book mentioned by Thad only cites designs over half a century old, where multihulls were the ugly ducklings, whose performance (and safety!!!) was miles below that of modern ones.
      "Homme libre, toujours tu cheriras la mer" (Charles Baudelaire)

Comment

• wtarzia
        • Feb 2007

Did I miss mention of the new Brown/Marples small cruising tri that won the Wooden Boat design competition last year? -- Wade

Comment

• Woxbox
          • Feb 2006

I posted a link to the Marples boat higher up -- but I still don't know if the design is being completed to the point construction plans are available. Somebody needs to build this boat!
          -Dave

Comment

• rogue
            • Sep 2011

If I were building, I'd go for a suitable modern design; If I were looking for an already built tri, I would look for a Brown Searunner 25 or 32 footer with folding amas and a trailer. These were good designs for the day, and sailed pretty well. They can be found in various states of need for much, much less than their material cost, and can be easily repaired, and "turbo'd".

Comment

• wizbang 13
              • Oct 2009

Is a Searunner obsolete?
              I can see where one could be bought cheaper than built.
              I came very close to building a 37 Searunner rather than my ketch. They still look sweet to me.
              Pivers, yes, they are over the hill , not to mention most were built on an extreme budget.
              Modern tris look either too racy or too luxurious to my eye.
              And ultimately, out in the world, cats have come to outnumber tris by at least ten to one. I didn't see that coming!

Comment

• Gary Dierking
                • Oct 2002

Originally posted by wizbang 13
                Is a Searunner obsolete?

I built a Searunner 37 and put 20,000 sea miles on it. That was many years ago but I doubt that a better cruising boat has been designed since then. There was never a sea or wind condition that the windvane would not self steer through. Certainly no need for an electric auto pilot. The center cockpit with the big centreboard case was a stroke of genius.

Comment

• wtarzia
                  • Feb 2007

Gary, is that a photo of your 37? The designer of the searunners once said that, though he was still pretty happy with them, with new ideas available about bottom shapes, felt he would now change the curve aft on the main hull, but I was not clear on whether he would curve the rocker more or flatten it or move the point of curvature. Having experinced the searunner cockpit set up for 200+ miles as opposed to Gary's 20,000, I give my far less experienced vote for it. I thought I might miss seeing the sea over the stern directly, but I did not, and anyway, you are sitting pretty high. One can always get in the shade of the aft stateroom and watch things from the big rear port, which is a nice place to be. The thing I admired about this design (and I guess that means of most mid-size tris) is that though able for Bluewater sailing, the centerboard under the cockpit, easily managed, and listened to, let you put the boat into some truly shallow water (along with the rudder on its kick-up 'transom' which still gives some steerage even when partly kicked up). These designs get a big "wow" for versatility.

Comment

• Woxbox
                    • Feb 2006

These designs get a big "wow" for versatility.
                    Indeed. I have very fond memories of my 25. I've not since found a more comfortable and forgiving boat that size. But they are a complicated build compared to many more current designs -- endless little pieces to be cut and fit together -- and the performance is good but not what can be had in similar boats. The Marples DC-3 would be the closest current equivalent, and it's a much handier design to keep on a trailer. I did trailer my Searunner, and the first job was to find double-wide launch ramps because you can't fold it up on the water.

The DC-3

But here's the reality check. Three years ago when I decided to go back to a trailer trimaran after 5 years with a cat tied to a dock, I found I could pick up a Corsair F27 for under $40,000 easily, and in fact I bought one that needed some work for $26,000. And that boat was ready to be sailed when I picked it up, even though cosmetically and otherwise there were issues. So could you build something as straightforward as a DC3 for less than 30K in materials cost?
                    Last edited by Woxbox; 03-25-2013, 03:29 PM.
                    -Dave

Comment

• luomanen
                      • Jan 2013

I've sailed Mike Leneman's L7 tri and it is a hoot. Lots of room for a 23' boat. Tons of buoyancy foreward. Round botoms thanks to fiberglass pans. Everything else is ply--and comes as a kit. It telescopes for trailering.

I was at the helm on a reach one time, under main and screecher, and the rudder stopped responding. The boat was totally happy--steadily charging along. We were flying two hulls--with no commotion whatsoever. I eased the screecher anyway.

It's a very under appreciated design IMHO.

Comment

• Woxbox
                        • Feb 2006

Another (non-wood) option: Ian Farrier has been taking orders on his new F22. He's going to sell kits which may offer a good labor/cost compromise to get into a boat of this type. He's close to starting up production.

-Dave

Comment

• JMarples
                          • Jul 2012

Originally posted by tomfindlay
                          Anybody got suggestions for a decent small cruising Trimaran design?
                          Tom, The DC3 trimaran that won the WoodenBoat Design Challenge III is available from John Marples, designer. It is 27 ft. long, and has accommodations for 2 persons with an additional berth for a guest. The swing-wing folding system allows trailering. See www.searunner.com website (in progress) for ordering info. Thanks, John Marples

Comment

• Carl Cramer
                            Ancient Member
                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Woxbox
                            I posted a link to the Marples boat higher up -- but I still don't know if the design is being completed to the point construction plans are available. Somebody needs to build this boat!
                            I just spoke with John, and construction plans for the DC3 are available. Email him here:

marplesmarine at gmail dot com

Comment

• JMarples
                              • Jul 2012

Tom, My DC3 cruising expedition trimaran that won the ProBoat Design Challenge III is available from www.searunner.com. The plans feature full-size patterns for all bulkheads, swing-wing folding akas for trailer transport and a twin cabin interior plan. See WoodenBoat issue #223 for details or write me at [email protected]. Cheers, John Marples

Comment

• keyhavenpotterer
                                • Nov 2007

Regarding the Marples DC-3,

In say 15-20 knots, what would be her speed to windward and what angle to windward might typically be expected in fairly typical 'along shore' conditions? How would she go then on a reach? Is there a predicted speed wind rose for the Marples DC-3 trimaran?

How are the beams built, then fixed in position? What is the process to retract them?

At what wind strength would I have to put in the first then subsequent reefs?

I mean this in a positive way, once sailing along tiller in hand, what advantage will I be expected to enjoy for taking the time, when in building mode, of building a round hulled design, compared to say a flat bottom/ sides/ single chine type arrangement, just a bit faster and smoother water flow and aesthetics - is there difference in real world performance/ handling of tri's.

Just asking as a 'tri' curious mono sailor, going to have to try a cat/ tri one day...as a rough idea how she might be expected to perform given your considerable experience in this area.

Thanks.

Ed
                                Last edited by keyhavenpotterer; 03-26-2013, 12:06 PM.

Comment

Working...