Thread: Happy @ $75,000.oo

Default Happy @ $75,000.oo

basil

Default Re: Happy @ $75,000.oo

Interesting, indeed. Not the first bit of research coming to similar conclusions. Start with Maslow.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Absolutely +1!
    "Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates." ~ Mark Twain

It occurred to me that maybe not everyone is familiar with Maslow's signature "Hierarchy of Needs" work. This is not the end all/be all on the topic, but is where my understanding of the matter starts:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maslow%...archy_of_needs
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

I'm not at all surprised, and I would suggest that the number is even lower for some of us.

What are you doing about it?

I've got unfettered access to at least that amount worth of sailboats. And yes, I am pretty happy.
    If this post did not meet all of your needs, please consult this thread for more options.

Money doesn't buy you happiness. It buys you options.
    Gerard>
    Everett, WA

Next election, vote against every Republican, for every office, at every level. Be patriotic.

I'll bet the folks that came up with the psychobabble make way more than 75k, and they are happy to take it!
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

If you have a retirement income, unencumbered home and no credit cards it's a comfortable life for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by Gerarddm View Post
    But it sure makes misery more tolerable!

Quote Originally Posted by Gerarddm View Post
    Options ARE happiness...

Which 1/3 of Americans don't seem to have right now...

They drive cars, but seldom new ones. They earn paychecks, but not big ones. Many own homes. Most pay taxes. Half are married, and nearly half live in the suburbs. None are poor, but many describe themselves as barely scraping by.

Down but not quite out, these Americans form a diverse group sometimes called “near poor” and sometimes simply overlooked — and a new count suggests they are far more numerous than previously understood.

When the Census Bureau this month released a new measure of poverty, meant to better count disposable income, it began altering the portrait of national need. Perhaps the most startling differences between the old measure and the new involves data the government has not yet published, showing 51 million people with incomes less than 50 percent above the poverty line. That number of Americans is 76 percent higher than the official account, published in September. All told, that places 100 million people — one in three Americans — either in poverty or in the fretful zone just above it.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/19/us...truggling.html

regards,
    Waddie