Thread: building a wooden pulley

Default building a wooden pulley

hi,I hope someone can help me.I would like to build wooden pulley for my dinghy.someone has designs?

Default Re: building a wooden pulley

Well, let's start by calling them blocks instead of pulleys, and then read this tutorial over at Duckworks.
    http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/02/articles/woodenblocks/woodenblocks.htm

And then come back with questions, and we'll be more than happy to answer. G'luck.

Personally, I'd scour small junk stores---err, excuse me, Antique Stores in the country to find actual old wooden blocks and refurbish them. Just my preference.

Tom

Gian,
    That is a good site, but I think that you could take more wood off of the corners of the shell to achieve a nicer shape than pictured there.

This is a more elegant shape

Woxbox, cut Gian some slack will ya, I doubt that Amenglish is his first language.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

puleeze,
    Start with the sheave.
    plastic ones are light and cheap.
    Or, I have made them simply by using a drill as a lathe.
    "rope strop" makes them simpler by avoiding metal bits, but I take it a step further and seize them on with multiple wraps of lighter twine. The same seizing can attach them to the deck or spar.wrap and frapWell, ok. This boat does not have any blocks.

John Almberg, The Unlikely Boatbuilder, has a lot on his site that he often republished here.

Nicaragua, until the next schooner comes along

I have made all the blocks on my schooner as well, it is very rewarding and when made in batches produces quite a lot for the time invested. Here are my pointers, hope these help.
    1. I'm with the earlier posters who did not like the square blocks. I make mine more egg shaped, rounding off the corners dramatically. It shaves weight and there is no structural need for the wood to be out on the corners.
    2. After gluing up the four pieces of wood that will make up the body of the block, and before any shaping takes place, I drill the four holes for the pins on a drill press. Now comes the really cool part that I invented (at least I think it's cool) (and I've never seen anybody else do this) I buy bronze brazing rod, from the welding supply store, it is about an 1/8 of an inch in diameter and about three feet long. Take this rod and put it in the chuck of your power drill, pull the triger the rod spins. While it spins touch a file to the end and it will sharpen up. Do this just enough to knock the shoulder off the rod so it will start easily in to a die from a tap and die set. I have done it many times by my self, the first time it is easier with help or cut the rod in half so you don't have to reach so far. Or put the die in a vise. Point the sharpened end into the die and pull the trigger and VOILA bronze threaded rod. When the die reaches the chuck, reverse and spin it back out. Now take the block with it's four predrilled holes that are slightly smaller then the threaded rod, and point the rod in the hole, pull the trigger and the rod threads it's self in to the hole. This should be so tight that if you stop before it comes the other side it will be stuck where it is at. When the rod reaches the other side stop. Cut the rod off with side cutters, sharpen the two tiny points on the rod created by the side cutters and thread the next hole. Repete on all your blocks. The bronze rod in your block will never come out and can be shaped and sanded without damaging your sand paper or sanding disc. Note; when using really hard woods to make blocks, like purple heart, or brazillian cherry, I had to wax the rod before threading it in to the wood, or it would get stuck before it reach all the way through.
    3. The groove for the rope grommet needs to be at least half of the thickness of the grommet, and the grooves at the top of the block should taper toward each other like a 'V' shape, while the bottom should be a 'U' shape. The 'V' allows the two sides of the grommet to lay closer together when seizing. And the seizing will get closer to the block. This will insure that the block is surcure in the grommet under really high loads.
    4. I have made the metal part that gets seized into the grommet (isn't that called a grommet also?) by cutting copper tubing and peening the edges out, with a ball peen hammer, it looks really nice but deforms over time when used on a main sheet for a 450 square foot sail. I will try with a heavier wall pipe when I find some.
    5. Double blocks look and work better when made fiddle style. (large sheave over the top of a smaller sheave) As apposed to side by side sheaves.
    6. After every thing is done I varnish the rope grommet this keeps it dry, rot free, and easy to clean, and prevents streaching in the grommet.
    Hope this helps Capt. Z.

Capt. Z...you are a bad man... but very clever! Brilliant invention!
    Now is a good time!

Steward of MAKOTO [WB Magazine #232], and Honored Member of the LPBC