X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • David Tabor (sailordave)
    Original Member #2569!
    • Nov 2000

Re: Another Bauer family boatbuilding project - Deer Isle Koster Class

COOL! You're a lucky man. And they're lucky kids.
    Retired. I do what I want, when I want.

Comment

• WilyBCool
      • Aug 2010

You have a beautiful family and will have many great hours enjoying the fruit of your labors together. May the new year year bring you and your family greater joy, time together and many, many blessings. ;D
      "You must believe it will happen, or it won't. Believe me, you gotta believe first" Tim Goad

Comment

• Clinton B Chase
        • Mar 2005

I hesitate to call Celie to ask her to babysit because I want her to work on her boat....but then she needs some cash for the sail!

Doug Fowler will be making the KDI sails. Next project on my end is to find the fancy hardware Bruce discovered in the UK. To keep things realistic, I'll have a "keep it simple" list and a "get fancy" list for hardware. It is a tremendous amount of work putting this all together. Thanks to those who are waiting so patiently!

Celie will be calling me when the BHDs are all secure so we can dry fit planks and the centerboard case.

SettingUp3 by Clint Chase Boatbuilder, on Flickr
        Clinton B. Chase
        Portland, Maine

http://tinyurl.com/myboats

Comment

• StevenBauer
          LPBC member
          • Jan 2000

We got a few things done tonight. The bulkheads should be all set tomorrow.

We have the 1x4 meranti for the keel, I just need to rip out the sheer stringers.

Steven

Comment

• StevenBauer
            LPBC member
            • Jan 2000

We mounted the stems now that they are glued to their bulkheads. The cross spalls are on and the whole assembly is really strong and ridgid. In this pic the centerboard trunk sides are temporarily sitting in place. We'll need to complete the trunk assembly and glue it in place before we can put the keel on.

Comment

• wdnbt
              • Jan 2005

Wow!

Steven, It's really coming along!

The Students of the Steven Bauer Boatbuilding Apprenticeship do amazing work!!

Will you be showing the finished project at Mystic this June?

Rick

Comment

• StevenBauer
                LPBC member
                • Jan 2000

I hope so, Rick. Its really neat how these kits go together. What's taken us a few weeks working a half hour at a time every few days could probably be done in a day or less of full time work. I'd love to take the boat and the builder to Mystic and to the Small Reach Regatta. It depends on her schedule. We'll see.

And thanks for all the kind comments, everyone.

Steven

Comment

• P.L.Lenihan
                  Junior Cinq-etoile
                  • Oct 2005

Originally posted by StevenBauer

Well if that isn't a sight for sore eyes! Beautiful!! "Lâche pas!",as were are given to hollerin' up here

Cheers!

Peter
                  Do it,do it,do it,do it,do it,do it,do it,now!
                  J.Lennon

This boat was built with ten thumbs.No fingers were harmed in anyway.

Comment

• BrianW
                    not your average member
                    • Nov 2002

Originally posted by StevenBauer
                    I'd love to take the boat and the builder to Mystic and to the Small Reach Regatta. It depends on her schedule. We'll see.
                    Another WBS launch for the Bauers. Might be a record!
                    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”― Mark Twain,

Comment

• Clinton B Chase
                      • Mar 2005

Steven, What do you get (average of 3 measurements) when you put your calipers on the 1/2" chipboard? Thanks!

Did you guys get the trunk in?
                      Clinton B. Chase
                      Portland, Maine

Comment

• Joe Dupere
                        Elder Statesman #1941
                        • Jun 2000

Steven, I'm really enjoying this thread. Keep it up!! By the way, what's that green boat up on the rack. It looks like a lapstrake kayak? Also, just thought you might want to know. On Clint's website, there's supposed to be a video of the Drake being rowed in tandem. If you click on it, it takes you to an album of your tobaggan pictures from another thread!!

Joe, FFPoP
                        Joe, FFPoP

(http://www.sunnywoodfarm-maine.com/)

Comment

• StevenBauer
                          LPBC member
                          • Jan 2000

The green boat is my Harry Bryan Thistle, a 12' fin driven, pedal powered, decked canoe.

Weird about that video I took of Clint rowing.

The builder is away again this weekend, her sister is home though so tomorrow we are going to work on the sailing rig for the Nutshell Pram that she built.

Steven

Comment

• Clinton B Chase
                            • Mar 2005

Joe, Did you finish your house? Want to build a Drake? Contact me if you do!

Here are some video links

Can someone give me link to a thread on how to embed YouTube video. Thanks
                            Last edited by Clinton B Chase; 01-18-2012, 08:40 PM.
                            Clinton B. Chase
                            Portland, Maine

Comment

• P.L.Lenihan
                              Junior Cinq-etoile
                              • Oct 2005

Any news on whether the intrepid builder will be working on her boat this weekend,Steven? Looking forward to seeing some more interesting progress and this fine design.Spring is just around the corner,ya know and Summer just a hop,skip and jump after that!

Cheers!

Peter
                              Do it,do it,do it,do it,do it,do it,do it,now!
                              J.Lennon

This boat was built with ten thumbs.No fingers were harmed in anyway.

Comment

• botebum
                                Banned
                                • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Clinton B Chase

Can someone give me link to a thread on how to embed YouTube video. Thanks
                                Click 'Share' below the video on the Youtube page. A little window will pop up with a highlighted URL. Copy the URL.
                                Above the reply box (back on WBF) you'll see a film segment between the 'picture' icon and the 'quote' icon. Click on it. Paste the URL into the pop up box and hit 'OK'.

Voila!

Doug

Comment

Working...