Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 234 ... LastLast

Thread: Another Bauer family boatbuilding project - Deer Isle Koster Class

Default Re: Another Bauer family boatbuilding project - Deer Isle Koster Class

The "mahogany" we cut for the sheer clamp was a little too stiff to make the bend at the stern so we scarfed some nice old fine grained spruce together instead:

I usually worry about spruce in small boats but this seemed like a good spot for it. Up high and totally encapsulated.

She turned the centerboard pin from ipe:

The pin in the board engages with these slots in the inner layer of the board. So there is no hole though the trunk. And the board can be lifted right out of the case by removing the thwart.

We have the center layer of the board cut out for some sheet lead. All ready to be glued up.

We've been working on the centerboard trunk. And the centerboard. Here is a dry run, down:

And up:

And flipped open. This shows the cool pin detail that lets you have a centerboard trunk with no holes through it:

Test fitting the sheer clamp and keel:

We just coated the insides of the trunk with epoxy/graphite. Pic soon.

Excellent progress and wonderful pictures Steven! The young intrepid builder must be feeling terribly proud at that fine shape emerging from her efforts. I know I would be!!

Best regards to her and continued success with her fine build!

Cheers!

Peter
    Do it,do it,do it,do it,do it,do it,do it,now!
    J.Lennon

This boat was built with ten thumbs.No fingers were harmed in anyway.

Great progress so far, she certainly chose a lovely boat. Not to give anyone any ideas, but there's been a 25 foot Koster available in New England for a couple years now. Last I heard she was being offered as free to a good home.

Mandurah, Western Oz....or Wongawallan Qld......or....er..somewhere in-between

A terrific thread Steven, I've been looking from time to time and enjoying watching it progress. I like the centreboard set up, very clever.
    Larks

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
    Because those that matter...don't mind...
    And those that mind.... don't matter."

LPBC Beneficiary
    We're the only species on earth that claims to have a god...and the only species on earth that lives as if we don't have a god.
    (US Journalist Paul Kelly on advice from the crayfish)

Can't help yourself Doug?

Doug, I already copied a picture of that little CB detail for my catspaw.....
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

Thanks, guys. We've made a little more progress. The endposts are glued on the trunk and the inside of the trunk got 3 coats of epoxy, the second two with graphite powder added:

Then we glued the two halves together:

Tonight we glued the trunk into the boat:

Next will be gluing the keelson on then the sheer clamp.

I like the little smile. Cheers!

Spectacular!
    (You get more and more trustworthy as the thread goes along! )
    Never trust a man with a clean workshop.

Ok,
    You got me watching.
    Am considering this as a possible build. (another one on the "OK officialy in dubio" list)
    Hope the powderhorn got worked out with the kit.
    Clint said its all good tough!

My kit should be arriving next Tuesday. I'm off to the lumber yard shortly to get a couple of long 2x's for the strongback.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by stromborg View Post
    My kit should be arriving next Tuesday. I'm off to the lumber yard shortly to get a couple of long 2x's for the strongback.

Steve
    WooHoo Steve, don't forget to start a thread.....

Steve
    Very exciting.

Thanks for the update...........it's looking great.......well done.

I'll start a build thread of my KDI in a week or so, I managed to get about half of the bulkheads and frames up the first afternoon. But I've got a pile of work to do for my employer over the next week so not too much will going on in my shop until April.

Reviewing the pictures in this thread, it is interesting how many changes have been made since this kit was released.

Steve

Looking forward to another build thread of an KDI. For me, I'm Still officialy in dubio.

The good thing about starting to follow a thread is that there is a lot of catching up to do.
    Once you reach the end it's all about patience.....
    Especially with such an interesting (and also entertaining) build as this one is.
    You have another loyal follower at the other end of the big pond
    Normally I'm more a reader than a contributer, but with so many like minded people around, maybe it's time to change that.

Good luck with the build,
    Harm

Reviewing the pictures in this thread, it is interesting how many changes have been made since this kit was released.

Steve
    That was the whole point of doing the prototype. I hope it's made your wait worthwhile. Is it just the alignment batton position and a couple of bulkhead changes? And maybe something with the seat setup?

We just glued on the keelson. Almost ready for planking.

Steven

Framing for the seats is part of the bulkheads and plywood panels to make the seats themselves is part of the kit.

I still need to finish assembling the centerboard case and get it installed before the keelson goes on. I was going to use a piece of 5/4 that was on hand but it looks like 3/4" thickness is all it really needs. I've been looking for a reference point for where the garboards go fore/aft on the keelson, maybe it will become more obvious once the bevels are cut.

Steve

The main changes to the model were:

inboard shape of bulkheads so it is easy to stitch and glue the curved seat vertical
    tabs vs indents on stem/sternpost to mark plank lands
    Rechecked a bunch of things
    Not a lot of changes really.

The garboard placement: after you bevel the keelson, place the GBD so you have equal overhand at ends and that is it. I like to do a couple snug clamps then use a mallet to tap the plank one way or the other.
    Clinton B. Chase
    Portland, Maine

http://tinyurl.com/myboats

I think we are just about "neck 'n neck" with the west coast KDI.

The Keelson is glued in place:

And the keel is now mostly beveled:

That's starting to look like a serious boat, Steven, big enough to take on the Small Reach Regatta maybe?

She is entered for this year. I hope she's ready.

It wouldn't be the first time if we end up finishing her on the beach the night before.

We just finished beveling the keelson and beveled one side of the fore stem.

Steven

Mandurah, Western Oz....or Wongawallan Qld......or....er..somewhere in-between

Always nice to see some progress on here Steven. I note that you use a more "presentable" acronym for the Deer Island Koster.
    Larks

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
    Because those that matter...don't mind...
    And those that mind.... don't matter."

LPBC Beneficiary
    We're the only species on earth that claims to have a god...and the only species on earth that lives as if we don't have a god.
    (US Journalist Paul Kelly on advice from the crayfish)

Looking good Bauer Family.

I got my garboards on today and started working on the sheerclamp. The amount of curve around the stern is feeling way to tight for the 3/4x3/4 piece of DF I have been working with. I was considering laminating it in two pieces, if I squint at your pictures just right it looks like maybe you are on the same track. What are your thoughts?

Steve

We sliced the last 5 or 6 feet of the sheerclamp on the bandsaw to make the bend at the stern. We'll be sure to get some epoxy in there when we glue them in place. We hope to get the garboards on tomorrow. I just got out of a concert at NEC and won't be home for another two hours.

Thanks for the video, Bruce. Fantastic. I'll show it to the builder in the morning.

Steven

The stems are beveled and the garboard is glued on. I'm hoping things will be moving quickly now.

With the woodstove going its about 75 in the shop, 45 and rainy outside.

Steve, I was wondering if you added weight to the centerboard as Clint suggested? If so how much do you recall? I have started on my KID here in Southern New Jersey. Thanks, Frank

Some more progress tonight, getting ready for the second pair of planks.

First she planed the bevel at each bulkhead/frame then connected the bevels using the plys as a guide.

Then cleaned up the scarfs

Even plywood makes nice shavings

Hey Frank, great news! We cut out a rectangle from the inner layer of the centerboard and glued one side to the center. The cut out was 5" by 9". Then we cut rectangles of lead roof flashing that just fit the cutout. It took seven layers. We weighed them and they were just a hair over five pounds. Then we will glue the other side on. The lead will have some help keeping the board down by a bungee cord.

I just went down to the shop and took a picture:

Downingtown Pa (S/V UTOPIA down in Somer's Point, NJ)

Frank,
    where in southern, NJ are you building this? I would love to see one of these done and I can't make the woodenboat show this year.

-Thad
    There is a joy in madness, that only mad men know. -Nieztsche

Thad:
    I live in Washington Twp., Gloucester County. Frank

Signed up for the Small Reach Regatta I see, nothing like a deadline to get things moving!

Steve

Steve that is awesome!

Signed up for the Small Reach Regatta I see, nothing like a deadline to get things moving!

Steve
    Clinton B. Chase
    Portland, Maine

http://tinyurl.com/myboats

Plank 2 is glued on the starboard side. Port side tonight after the National Honor Society induction ceremony.

Congratulations on every front

I'll pass that along, Gareth. The really big news is that she has decided on a name for the KDI! And she's learning how to pole vault.
    NHS is pretty cool, too.

Steven

Crazy shape to this next plank:

Starting to cut the first gain:

All ready for glue up:

Starboard side glued up. We're cranking the wood stove so we can glue the port side tonight.

Wonderful stuff, Steven. Of course, you have a wonderful family so it doesn't come as a surprise.

Mickey Lake
    'A disciple of the Norse god of aesthetically pleasing boats, Johan Anker'

Pretty quiet this week Steven, but then I suppose the builder is getting ready for the end of her school year.

At about this point in the planking I had to start adjusting the bevel on the forward stem, moving the bearding line aft to get a fair curve over the first bulkhead. Just got the sheer plank on yesterday, looks as nice in person as it does in the magazine. Stems start next weekend.

Steve
    Steve

Build your own boat. You win. Period.
    J. McMullen

No progress this last week or so. AP tests and schoolwork. Your boat looks great, Steve. Clint's extra work fairing things up seems to have paid off. We'll try to get some planks on tonight.

Steven

We've been plodding along with the build. School ends in a few days so the builder will have a little more free time.

Some help from a friend:

Planks 6 and 7 getting scarphed:

Plank 5 going on:
    Last edited by StevenBauer; 06-17-2012 at 08:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by StevenBauer View Post
    We've been plodding along with the build. School ends in a few days so the builder will have a little more free time.

Finally! Thanks for the nice update Steven and pass on my best wishes to the intrepid builder for her exam finals!

Cheers!

Peter
    Do it,do it,do it,do it,do it,do it,do it,now!
    J.Lennon

This boat was built with ten thumbs.No fingers were harmed in anyway.

Thanks, Peter. I've got a few more pics:

And how about a few pics of the stern? It's hard getting pics back there as it is kind of tight. The stern of the KDI is really her selling point, I can't wait to get her out of the garage and get to see her from her best angle.

The other big news is we have ordered the Balanced Lug sail kit from Sailrite:

Looking good there!! Bauers

Is it too soon to discuss launching?

Very nice........well done.