Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Another Bauer family boatbuilding project - Deer Isle Koster Class

Default Re: Another Bauer family boatbuilding project - Deer Isle Koster Class

cries out for a dark color. Alas, Malachy Green is no longer available in Interlux enamel,
    I had to do this recently. Just call George Kirby the IV and ask for "Malachi Green". He will send it. It was a perfect match for what was on the project I was working on.

Fitz.
    "Wherever there is a channel for water, there is a road for the canoe. " - Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by essaunders View Post
    Hummm. Portland Me? Do you have visiting hours? I've got a 4 year old I'd love to show a working (daughter-driven) build....
    It would be great to have you and your daughter visit. Probably better after the molds are all set up and we've started planking.

So the builder is away again this weekend so no boat work. We have the first three pairs of planks glued up now.

Look at the shape of plank number 3:

And here's the puzzle scarf. Self aligning, very cool:

This was plank two, the garboards are in the middle:

Great! The assembling has begun and I just love the way Steven has even got a nice fire cracking away to keep us all warm throughout the winter. Kindly pass on my best wishes to the brave builder Steven but let her know that this business of not working on the boat during weekends is for weenies and wimps! This has got to stop because summer is just a short 20 odd weekends away

Cheers!

Peter
    Do it,do it,do it,do it,do it,do it,do it,now!
    J.Lennon

This boat was built with ten thumbs.No fingers were harmed in anyway.

Don't I just wish I knew a Dad / Mum and talented daughter building a boat nearby ! Even not so nearby .I have a 9 year old and 7 year old grandaughters who I would love to inspire .
    Try to work out what the marketing guy wants you to do then do precisely the opposite.

Just a note to say this is a great thread. Looking forward to following along the build.

Enjoying this immensely, Stephen. Regards to Mary and the girls!
    "Simplicity, Clarisse! First principles..."

Great stuff. Are those puzzle scarfs from Boulter Plywood? Always wondered if they would really work.

Brilliant!
    Thank you for sharing.
    Stay calm, be brave....wait for the signs. Possibly precariously prevaricating.

Great project and thread...and family...and design...Why beat around the bush--the whole shebang is fantastic!

I really like those puzzle scarfs. It's amazing what a little technology and a little ole' $100K machine can do!
    Goat Island Skiff and Simmons Sea Skiff construction photos here:

http://s176.photobucket.com/albums/w...esMan/?start=0

and here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/37973275@N03/

"All kings are not the same."

Will the ernest builder be building this weekend? It's already Friday,ya know.

Cheers!

Peter
    J.Lennon

I make the scarfs and it is not a 100K machine...it is a 150K machine. Luckily, I outsource my CNC work but may bring it in house at some point. Pros and cons either way.

There are two kinds of cnc cut scarfs. The puzzle joint or more like a "finger joint" and the NC scarf like Steven shows. They both work but have pros and cons and tradeoffs depending on the thickness of the ply, location in boat, and who is doing the cutting. The finger joint is much faster to make on the machine.

NC scarf and puzzle scarf by Clint Chase Boatbuilder, on Flickr

NC scarf and puzzle scarf by Clint Chase Boatbuilder, on Flickr
    Clinton B. Chase
    Portland, Maine

http://tinyurl.com/myboats

Cool. My little guy is helping me with the Catspaw but there's been precious little progress there lately. Maybe this winter.....
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

Not too much progress, glued up some more planks and glued the stem and sternpost pieces together.

Spreading glue:

We are getting anxious to set up the forms. Soon.

Steven

The scooter is not CNC cut and not included in kit!!!
    Clinton B. Chase
    Portland, Maine

I figured it was going to be featured in a future "Building a tow-hitch for a small scooter" thread.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by StevenBauer View Post
    Not too much progress, glued up some more planks and glued the stem and sternpost pieces together.Steven

Oh look at you, "Not much progress"...hush with this crazy talk.Afterall, just like the puzzle scarfs, so too is the build like a big puzzle and the necessary pieces are getting put together one at a time! Bravo and keep plugging away is what I would say to the proud builder, since each part done today is one less to do tomorrow! Yippee!!

Cheers!

Peter
    J.Lennon

You are so right, Tenner. Another little step:

Steven

A fine picture Steven! The first planks getting carefully assembled together.Fantastic! By the way, I couldn't help but notice how the dedicated builder is wisely wearing some blue gloves. Do you buy them by the gross or are they fringe benefits.....

If you buy them by the gross,be carefull.I once ordered a bunch and the buggers sent me a box full of left handed ones only!!

Best wishes to the diligent builder.She is doing well!!

Cheers!

Peter
    J.Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by P.L.Lenihan View Post
    If you buy them by the gross,be carefull.I once ordered a bunch and the buggers sent me a box full of left handed ones only!!

Cheers!

Peter
    Regular left handed ones or ones with 5 left thumbs?

Quote Originally Posted by P.L.Lenihan View Post
    A fine picture Steven! The first planks getting carefully assembled together.Fantastic! By the way, I couldn't help but notice how the dedicated builder is wisely wearing some blue gloves. Do you buy them by the gross or are they fringe benefits.....

Funny, I got the mating box of rights.

Well lucky for us our box has both right and left gloves.

Before she went off to a youth group retreat in Michigan the builder got the building frame set up:

When she gets back we'll set these bulkheads on the frame:

Then it'll really start to look like a boat.

I hope that's not her nice coat (see 67 above). Mom will not be pleased!

BTW--the boat builder is an angel.
    Goat Island Skiff and Simmons Sea Skiff construction photos here:

http://s176.photobucket.com/albums/w...esMan/?start=0

and here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/37973275@N03/

"All kings are not the same."

She's back! She got the boyfriend to help.

Yanno, Steven, if she can work him up to scraping the bottom of your boat, well, that would be a good thing.

The boyfriend musta been workin' real hard to stay focused on the boat while the old man shuffled around taking pictures...

Bravo on getting the frames up! Continued encouragement and success to the intrepid builder.Only 172 days to go before the first official day of summer!

Cheers!

Peter
    J.Lennon

I think this is the best Thread this place has ever had !! It gives me a nice feeling inside . Charlie

COOL! You're a lucky man. And they're lucky kids.
    The only difference between [where I work] and the TITANIC is... The TITANIC had a band.

You have a beautiful family and will have many great hours enjoying the fruit of your labors together. May the new year year bring you and your family greater joy, time together and many, many blessings. ;D
    "You must believe it will happen, or it won't. Believe me, you gotta believe first" Tim Goad

I hesitate to call Celie to ask her to babysit because I want her to work on her boat....but then she needs some cash for the sail!

Doug Fowler will be making the KDI sails. Next project on my end is to find the fancy hardware Bruce discovered in the UK. To keep things realistic, I'll have a "keep it simple" list and a "get fancy" list for hardware. It is a tremendous amount of work putting this all together. Thanks to those who are waiting so patiently!

Celie will be calling me when the BHDs are all secure so we can dry fit planks and the centerboard case.

SettingUp3 by Clint Chase Boatbuilder, on Flickr
    Clinton B. Chase
    Portland, Maine

We got a few things done tonight. The bulkheads should be all set tomorrow.

We have the 1x4 meranti for the keel, I just need to rip out the sheer stringers.

Steven

We mounted the stems now that they are glued to their bulkheads. The cross spalls are on and the whole assembly is really strong and ridgid. In this pic the centerboard trunk sides are temporarily sitting in place. We'll need to complete the trunk assembly and glue it in place before we can put the keel on.

Wow!

Steven, It's really coming along!

The Students of the Steven Bauer Boatbuilding Apprenticeship do amazing work!!

Will you be showing the finished project at Mystic this June?

Rick

I hope so, Rick. Its really neat how these kits go together. What's taken us a few weeks working a half hour at a time every few days could probably be done in a day or less of full time work. I'd love to take the boat and the builder to Mystic and to the Small Reach Regatta. It depends on her schedule. We'll see.

And thanks for all the kind comments, everyone.

Steven

Well if that isn't a sight for sore eyes! Beautiful!! "Lāche pas!",as were are given to hollerin' up here

Cheers!

Peter
    J.Lennon

I'd love to take the boat and the builder to Mystic and to the Small Reach Regatta. It depends on her schedule. We'll see.
    Another WBS launch for the Bauers. Might be a record!

Steven, What do you get (average of 3 measurements) when you put your calipers on the 1/2" chipboard? Thanks!

Did you guys get the trunk in?
    Clinton B. Chase
    Portland, Maine

Steven, I'm really enjoying this thread. Keep it up!! By the way, what's that green boat up on the rack. It looks like a lapstrake kayak? Also, just thought you might want to know. On Clint's website, there's supposed to be a video of the Drake being rowed in tandem. If you click on it, it takes you to an album of your tobaggan pictures from another thread!!

Joe, FFPoP

The green boat is my Harry Bryan Thistle, a 12' fin driven, pedal powered, decked canoe.

Weird about that video I took of Clint rowing.

The builder is away again this weekend, her sister is home though so tomorrow we are going to work on the sailing rig for the Nutshell Pram that she built.

Steven

Joe, Did you finish your house? Want to build a Drake? Contact me if you do!

Here are some video links

http://youtu.be/1LBMHYy5FKQ

Can someone give me link to a thread on how to embed YouTube video. Thanks
    Last edited by Clinton B Chase; 01-18-2012 at 08:40 PM.
    Clinton B. Chase
    Portland, Maine

Any news on whether the intrepid builder will be working on her boat this weekend,Steven? Looking forward to seeing some more interesting progress and this fine design.Spring is just around the corner,ya know and Summer just a hop,skip and jump after that!

Cheers!

Peter
    J.Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Clinton B Chase View Post

Can someone give me link to a thread on how to embed YouTube video. Thanks
    Click 'Share' below the video on the Youtube page. A little window will pop up with a highlighted URL. Copy the URL.
    Above the reply box (back on WBF) you'll see a film segment between the 'picture' icon and the 'quote' icon. Click on it. Paste the URL into the pop up box and hit 'OK'.

Voila!

Doug

Clint, you need a 5 axis cnc router and then you could do a nice hook scarf too.
    BTW, do you have a catalog - paper or on line?

Quote Originally Posted by Figment View Post
    I can't find it via google, but someone please post the pic of the sailboat bottom with lots of little fishies painted in different colors of antifouling...

This is one of John B's not-yet-famous dinghies with the fancy bottom paint job. Is this what you were thinking about?

J.Lennon

Not quite.

Somewhere out there on the interwebs is a photo of a 25-30' sailboat with fish and other sea creatures crudely/childishly painted on the bottom with leftovers of other boats' antifouling.
    We must go too far in order to know how far to go. Yeah.

Like this, but cuter:
    We must go too far in order to know how far to go. Yeah.

Congratulations on the new build and WOW! it looks tight in that work shop.

JD
    Senior Ole Salt # 650

We're back at it. We glued the inner and outer centerboard case sides together and milled out the sheerclamps.

I have the same planer which use to keep the neighbors awake on Sunday afternoons. Where's Talisman?

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Sharp View Post
    I have the same planer which use to keep the neighbors awake on Sunday afternoons. Where's Talisman?
    I was standing under her bow as I took the second pic. We did wait 'till 11:30 to fire up the planer.

Steven

Looking good Steven!....... But what the hell are you doing up at quarter after 2 in the morning!?......