Page 1 of 7 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Another Bauer family boatbuilding project - Deer Isle Koster Class

Default Another Bauer family boatbuilding project - Deer Isle Koster Class

The time has come for my youngest to build herself a boat.

Her brother built Oughtred's Elf and her sister built White's Nutshell Pram. As seen here: http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...-Elf-is-turned!

And here: http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?80582

She's decided after much deliberation to build a boat from a kit by this guy whose kids she babysits. He's adapted OEX's plans for the Deer Isle Koster Class ( http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?115448 ) into a CNC kit . We received the plywood parts a couple of weeks ago and we're ready to go. We started tonight by going through the parts and familiarizing ourselves with them. So far everything looks great. Clint gave us some drawings and instructions so I bought some lumber for the building form and we'll be setting up the molds and frames soon.

These are a couple of the pics that swayed the selection committee(her!):

Here's the pile:

Default Re: Another Bauer family boatbuilding project - Deer Isle Koster Class

Ahhh.... the Bauer Family Fleet is growing! Looks like a nice choice!

Rick

I've been waiting for this one, Steven.

You may have a visitor some weekend to check on progress.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

Beauty

Ambitious but sweet and we know you will do it!

That 4th pic just made it into my screensaver rotation. Thanks!
    The premise is WRONG, Bob!

Wonderful, Steven. Keep us posted. Btw, is it going to be purple?

Oh, man. A sticky already and we've barely begun building. Not purple this time, Jim. She asked if each stake could be a different color and have a rainbow boat. I'm trying to discourage that but maybe a rainbow sail would be cool.

Visiting is encouraged, Z-man, the more the merrier.

Steven
    Last edited by StevenBauer; 11-17-2011 at 12:11 AM.

Downingtown Pa (S/V Andantino down in Rock Hall, Md)

That looks awesome!!!!
    There is a joy in madness, that only mad men know. -Nieztsche

Awesome. I hope to be able to build with my little guy too. He's only 4 as of yesterday but still, I have him working on the Catspaw thread as you can see if you look it up. Great fun playing boatbuilder with the young ones.
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

Good looking boat. Very cool that your daughter is taking this on.
    BTW I love the green hull on the boat pictured.
    I'll be looking for that rainbow hull (and sail) when I'm in PWM next summer.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Awesome!!!!!

Nothing else matters but how I raise my children ... and their opinion of me, as a father.

Got the popcorn, and ready for viewing. I'm in for this one. My boy is only 9 months, so maybe this will inspire me to get out in the shop and start a plannin.

One at 4 years and one at 9 months. You guys better get going. You can't start them too young. As long as safety is part of the lesson.

These girls have been involved for almost 10 years now:

Oh, man this is going to be a tear jerking thread isn't it. The girls look so adorable in those pics! This will be a fun project.
    Clinton B. Chase
    Portland, Maine

http://tinyurl.com/myboats

Say, Do you think you could mention the name of the kit manufacturer? I must have missed it if you already did. There's nothing I love better than pretending the garden shed I'm about to build is a boat. It honestly improves the quality of the garden shed.

Sweet deal for the children(lucky kids!) and another grand memories moment for the adults. I hope you post lots of pictures Steven, especially when you get to the plank lands/gains.

The sticky is great too....no presure or nothing....just gotta post lots of pictures,very often! Easy as pie!

Cheers!

Peter
    Do it,do it,do it,do it,do it,do it,do it,now!
    J.Lennon

This boat was built with ten thumbs.No fingers were harmed in anyway.

Sure, Curt, the kit came from Clint Chase.

www.clintchaseboatbuilder.com

Look for the ad for the KDI kit in the next issue of WoodenBoat Magazine.

Steven

Was wondering if you plan to keep us posted on the build process?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fstauss View Post
    Was wondering if you plan to keep us posted on the build process?

Thanks
    Definitely. That's what this thead is all about.

Very nice, Steven! Cannot wait to follow the progress.

Lovely Steven,
    Who said committees can't make inspired decisions?
    Can you explain the 2nd pic from the top - is that a raised deck and what's it for?
    Patrick

Sure, Patric, I was hoping someone would ask. The seats and floorboards are designed so the floorboards can be raised up to seat height to make a big sleeping platform.

Steven

aha! ... and livestock below in winter?

Quote Originally Posted by StevenBauer View Post
    Oh, man. A sticky already and we've barely begun building. Not purple this time, Jim. She asked if each stake could be a different color and have a rainbow boat. I'm trying to discourage that but maybe a rainbow sail would be cool.

Visiting is encouraged, Z-man, the more the merrier.

Steven
    I think a rainbow sail would look awesome. There is a catamaran at Waikiki Cathy and I have been out on a couple times. This one. With the jib up its quite a sight on the water:

Still trying to make enough room in the garage. Some promising progress:

Tomorrow we'll attach the legs and use the laser to level her all up.

These PDFs Clint sent are very helpful. Since they are in PDF form you can zoom in with the computer and get all the detail.

Great stuff Steven!

My 6YO nephew is now hooked on sailing (he typed as he patted himself on the back) and I'm going to get him going on the resto' of a Sabot like pram as soon as the shed's done.

So this is inspiring stuff!
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

This is so cool! I didn't have the time or space to do this with my kids, but I will definitely do it with my grandkids when they finally start coming....

You are an inspiration, and that's probably why the sticky!

Cheers.
    S
    Now is a good time!

Steward of MAKOTO [WB Magazine #232], and Honored Member of the LPBC

Maybe this one, Mike? She was helping to turn over her brother's boat.

Here's the latest progress:

One more:

Next, using the laser to get it dead level.

Clint recommended that we glue up all the scarfs before we set up the frames and bulkheads. That way we could use the building frame as a glue table. My concern is storing them until we need them. The straighter ones can be stored under the building frame on a shelf.

Steven

I'm loving this thread already.

Gurls 'n boats, screwguns, plywood! Awesome!

Looks like a lot of fun.

I spent the day working with my daughter replacing a rusted brake line in her Jeep GC. "Hey Dad, hand me the 10mm flare nut wrench". Music to my ears.

The top is on and the frame has been leveled and centerline struck. We'll start gluing planks tomorrow.

This shot is kind of cool:

Very nice project, but she really ought to take off that scarf and tie her hair back when using rotating power tools.

Thanks, Bruce. Great pictures. It will be fun to get all three boats together. We're hoping to bring the KDI to the Small Reach Regatta his year.

Good point, Brian, we're so carefull with the hair and clothing around the lathe but after my run-in with the the rotary hammer last week I know drills can be dangerous, too. Thanks.

Steven

O.M.G. This is so cool that it's already become one of my favortite threads. Looking forward to the build!