Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Howard Rice
    • Dec 2003

Re: SCAMP envy/lust

I have started a blog- "The Voyage of Southern Cross" pertaining to my coming small boat voyage through Tierra del Fuego. Should anyone here be interested it is at:

Todays posting is: Provisioning

Comment

• David Nichols
      • Dec 2015

For those who are interested there is a new video of Howard talking about Southern Cross, his SCAMP, posted on the Below 40 south website WWW.below40south.com. Just go to the site and click on Photos and videos and click on "answering questions at the bow". There are a number of videos about Southern Cross in that section of the website.

Comment

• David Nichols
        • Dec 2015

Howard Rice has added a new post to his blog Voyage of Southern Cross. As usual it's inspirational and informative. You find a great video of SCAMP testing there as well.
        https://youtu.be/du9lvJNVqnk

Comment

• Howard Rice
          • Dec 2003

Originally posted by David Nichols
          Howard Rice has added a new post to his blog Voyage of Southern Cross. As usual it's inspirational and informative. You find a great video of SCAMP testing there as well.
          https://youtu.be/du9lvJNVqnk

Comment

• Edward Pearson
            • Dec 2015

High level of finish.

Well, well. It has been quite a while since the last post. There is a good reason for this - I have been beavering away, trying to get ANNIE B launched while there is still nice weather for sailing....

Perky looking boat from every angle.
            Last edited by Edward Pearson; 05-27-2017, 02:45 AM.

Comment

• donald branscom
              • Nov 2004

Looks great! WOW

I like the choice of colors too!
              I love the smell of fresh cut plywood in the morning.

Comment

• Howard Rice
                • Dec 2003

From The Strait of Magellan
                My voyaging SCAMP #2 Southern Cross is headed back to the US in a few weeks. She is currently crated and likely under snow about fifty yards off the shore of the Strait of Magellan just as she came out of the southern ocean after I rescued her.
                She is headed to Seattle and then Port Townsend where she will join me at the Northwest Woodenboat Festival (as is) the weekend of September 8th-10th. I am one of this years featured presenters and look forward to presenting film, stills, a few stories and answering questions about my experiences voyaging south down the Strait of Magellan and into the Southwest Island of Tierra del Fuego. It was a fulfilling yet very difficult voyage. I long to be back there.

G][/IMG]
                [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

The James Caird in the back ground.

Comment

• Howard Rice
                  • Dec 2003

Craig
                  A high bar finish, well done. You should feel great and now its time to give her a scrape or two!
                  Originally posted by donald branscom
                  Looks great! WOW

I like the choice of colors too!

Comment

• skaraborgcraft
                    Banned
                    • Jan 2010

Wow, whos version of the James Caird is that, and whats it doing there,do you know?

Comment

• PeterSibley
                      • Dec 2001

Originally posted by skaraborgcraft
                      Wow, whos version of the James Caird is that, and whats it doing there,do you know?
                      '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
                      Grateful Dead

Comment

• Daniel Noyes
                        Banned
                        • Jan 2007

next time Howard goes back there, right beside the Caird, will be a replica of Southern Cross complete with life sized crew figure and dramatic retelling with video footage of the harrowing experience!

certainly an inspiration for future adventures and adventurers

Comment

• skaraborgcraft
                          Banned
                          • Jan 2010

Thanks, thats a new one i was not aware of. Been a few recreations this past decade, thought it might have been one of those cast off.....

Comment

• Chris Noto
                            • Apr 2017

Originally posted by Howard Rice
                            From The Strait of Magellan
                            My voyaging SCAMP #2 Southern Cross is headed back to the US in a few weeks. [Snip!]
                            It was a fulfilling yet very difficult voyage. I long to be back there.
                            Congratulations, Howard, on having survived your adventure. I won't be able to make it to Port Townsend, but I look forward to hearing more as you are able to publish.

All the best.

Comment

• Howard Rice
                              • Dec 2003

Well there won't be a life sized figure in the boat but a replica Southern Cross will be there. The Museum is building an exact replica for display....................as strange and surreal as this sounds. I in no manner feel my voyage is deserving of this but they do, go figure.

Originally posted by Daniel Noyes
                              next time Howard goes back there, right beside the Caird, will be a replica of Southern Cross complete with life sized crew figure and dramatic retelling with video footage of the harrowing experience!

certainly an inspiration for future adventures and adventurers

Comment

• Daniel Noyes
                                Banned
                                • Jan 2007

Originally posted by Howard Rice
                                Well there won't be a life sized figure in the boat but a replica Southern Cross will be there. The Museum is building an exact replica for display....................as strange and surreal as this sounds. I in no manner feel my voyage is deserving of this but they do, go figure.

very cool, how many people here have a museum exhibit inspired by their exploits!
                                are you donating your now famous dry suit? it could be worn by the life like manequin... also maybe a representative collection of ships stores and survival gear you used during the night on tough luck island. This display could be inspiring generations of young adventurers to explore who knows where!
                                Last edited by Daniel Noyes; 05-31-2017, 09:57 PM.

Comment

Working...