Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345 LastLast

Thread: Calling All Bluejacket Owners/ Builders

Default Re: Calling All Bluejacket Owners/ Builders

Oct 20, 2012 Rick.. Third weekend.. of October..

How is your tender lift going?

Henry...

http://www.woodenboatshow.com/ If there is a better boat show, I don't know of it.

Its a great event Rick, and Oriental is a good stopover point with the possibility of another cruise. Free dock and bed too. There is also the annual B&B messabout nearby on the Bay River the last weekend in Oct. Its nominally for B&B boats but we would not be run off.
    Tom L

All right then, I have figured out why Bluejacket builders disappear once the boat is turned over for the first time. It is the curse of S&G. the dreaded sanding ritual. So having built a few S&G boats I thought I knew what I was in for.
    Well it aint that easy.
    After you get the hull to look somewhat like the plans you need to sheath the behemoth you have created. That is going to take a LOT and I mean a LOT of epoxy. then you need to slather the hull, like icing a cake. Not once but twice. First time sanding using a 7 inch 80 grit sander, second time a little more gently. I used my Porter Cable RO sander with 80 grit.
    Next step is to put the keel on and glass it in. Then a coat of primer that will be sanded off to find the low spots. Then more filling and 80 grit sanding. After that a final (maybe) coat of epoxy and a quick dash of 100 grit before the primer and bottom paint.
    YIKES no wonder we never hear from builders at this stage.

Looking for advice, motivation and encouragement at his point.
    And I thought three days at the Wooden Boat Show would be the motivation to remedy for the slow pace.

Yep Jim.. you are right on.. June for me has been a bit of a lost cause with some dental repair that went into the bucket.. and now with 100+ days and 80 degree nights.. Yes we have broken records.. Flats on .. keel , transom , and chimes taped.. and keel bow laminated today.. hope to put xynol on next week with a little lower temp.

Maybe next year we can have a BJ day at the WB show.. You , Rick and me.. Here's hoping...

Henry

I hoisted Surpise on to the cabin top this morning using the crane and a luff (3 part) tackle. That's from the driveway 11' below. It was too hot to proceed further but I still have to figure out the cabintop bracket. My gut tells me the ipe one I made is not adequate to support the torque of the dinghy on the crane 4'+ above the cabin top. I may need to enlist the services of a structural engineer. Fortunately my best friend from prepubescent years carries the requisite credentials.
    Tom, I am sorry I missed your post from 5/7. I guess my lurking skills have been deficient. I will do my level best to arrange our schedule to make this happen this year. Best to Liz. Rick and Vivianne.

Global warming is taking a toll on me. We are heading north tomorrow and hope to find less intemperate weather. Going to try Michigan and then Ontario. If still hot, who knows? Will wind up in Oskosh for the EAA shindig along with other nuts interested in aircraft. Back in August, hurricanes remaining away.

Tom.
    Tom L

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Lathrop View Post
    Global warming is taking a toll on me. We are heading north tomorrow and hope to find less intemperate weather. Going to try Michigan and then Ontario. If still hot, who knows? Will wind up in Oskosh for the EAA shindig along with other nuts interested in aircraft. Back in August, hurricanes remaining away.

Tom.
    Safe travels

After working beyond my pay grade for a while, I have the new website up. No broken links so far. Parts are still under constructon but I think it is much better already. Should work well on IE or Firefox.
    www.bluejacketboats.com
    Tom L

Looks great Tom! Vivianne & I are honored to have Cailin Fionn pictured on the BJ 28 page. Rick
    Last edited by landlocked sailor; 08-24-2012 at 06:38 AM.

So glad that your Bluejacket website is back up - because there are times when I just plain need to look at a beautiful boat!

Tom

Looks great Tom, so glad it is up.
    Us BJ builders are busy at the task at hand.
    I am currently working on the last bit of sanding before I can strike the waterline. Thanks to Ed I have some dimensions to work from. I know that every boat is a little bit different but I am hoping it is close enough to give a reasonable representation of where the waterline maybe.
    Looking to turn over number 2 this weekend or maybe next week.
    Thanks
    Jim

I affixed the final version of the cabin top bracket for the dinghy crane yesterday after getting the parts back from the powdercoater. Had knee surgery last week so no cruises in August. Rick

Looks good Tom.. I am sure that you will get some new hits. Hope to see you in October at Georgetown.

Henry

We will certainly be there in Georgetown and also cruise on down to Charleston as well. Would be great to meet all together, Monday morning perhaps, after the boatshow.
    Tom L

Site looks good.I'm digging it with a shovel.
    http://bensboatblog.blogspot.com/
    When peeing over the side,remember,one hand for you,and one hand for the ship.
    Proud Member Of The Elite LPBC.

Bookmarked!

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Hi Tom, Looks modern! Good job. Works fine on an iPad too.
    Denny Wolfe
    www.wolfEboats.com

Yes. It's nice to have site that seems to be fully functional on Safari. Lots of times, pictures wouldn't load on the old site. Great work.
    "A man builds the best of himself into a boat- builds many of the memories of his ancestors." -Steinbeck

Just wanted to chime in as a new Bluejacket builder. The plywood has been delivered, and the first two of many 4' scarfs cut, preparing to join the 16 panels making the hull. With all respect and admiration for all those who shape plywood scarfs with a power plane and/or hand plane, I've found a simple router jig is extremely accurate and easy to use. I feel as though I know the other Bluejacket builders through their excellent forum entries, blogs, and websites; and Tom Lathrop has been patient and very helpful with all of my questions. Looking forward to sharing my progress and discussing issues with other Builders on this forum.

Chuck

Chuck,

Welcome to the family of Bluejacket builders! Yes, Tom Lathrop is one of the good guys in regards to a congenial nature and a vast knowledge of boat design and construction.

Best wishes for enjoying the same level of fun and sense of achievement I'm experiencing with my Bluejacket 25.5 build in Texas.

Regards,

Dave

Good Morning Chuck.. Also Welcome to the party.. Us Bluejacket builders are having fun .. You will also.. Wonder where you are located.. Those that we know of that are building are spread from Texas to the Northwest and from GA to Boston. So chime in and share your story. Have you thought about photo blogging your build? While the plans are good, Tom has done a good job, we all have questions about how to go about something. Also which version are you building? I know that we are full of questions, but we ( current builders) and those that have launched are interested in fellow Bluejacket builders. Something about birds of a flock fly together. Have fun and enjoy.

Henry

Thanks for the encouragement! My wife Betsy and I are building the BJ 28 on Oak Island, NC. I'm retired, new to boat building, and am attending wooden boatbuilding night classes at Wilmington's Cape Fear Community College - and having a ball, despite the concerned looks from friends and family as I convert the area under our house into a boat shop. I have been documenting my work, such as it is, with photos, but this social media stuff is way more confusing than figuring out an 8 : 1 scarf. You all have set the bar awfully high with your blogs and websites! I really appreciate the offers of advice and support. I need it!
    Chuck

Welcome Chuck from Taunton MA.
    The home of an in process Bluejacket 271. Just waiting for warmer weather to put up my cabin sides and start the cabin top.
    Good luck with your build and keep us posted.
    Jim

Welcome Chuck and Betsy.. For she is a part of the conspiracy now. I do know where Oak Island is. My wife, Diane and I are also building a BJ28 and hope (translated expect) to be on the water this summer. I suspect you have found our blog on Flickr. www.flickr.com/photos/bluejacket28/ There are several others with photo blogs that I am sure will chime in with their web addresses.

You will need to join the gang down in Georgetown SC in October for the Wooden Boat show. There should be several older BJ's and a couple of newly launched ones there. If you would like to join the gang's email trail send me a PM and I will add you to our grape vine. By the way this is the first build for me also and I don't have a community college close by with a boat building school..

Henry

Also a welcome from the Northern Neck of VA. I'm building a 25.5 Bluejacket. It is still in the beginning stages, the hull panels are epoxied together, glued the inwales on and just started on the bulkheads.
    All the different blogs are a great resource. Mine is at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/58798913@N03/sets
    I also used a router setup for the scarfing. I started out with my power planer but it went up in a cloud of smoke on the first set.

I was pretty happy with this setup.

Egbert

I'll just chime in here to say welcome as well. I didn't build Cailin Fionn (BJ28) from scratch; Marvin Spencer did a masterful job on the bare hull. I finished her over a three year period and have enjoyed 2 seasons. We fully intend on being in Georgetown this year. Three cheers for Tom and Oriental, NC. Rick

Tom is going to have to reserve the entire pier at Georgetown for the Bluejacket gang this year.. Ed from Austin, Sally from Frogmore, Phillip from Atlanta, Rick from PA, Tom from NC , Henry from VA and who else.. Its going to be great. I agree .. THREE BIG CHEERS FOR TOM.........

​Henry

Quote Originally Posted by k4lmy View Post
    Tom is going to have to reserve the entire pier at Georgetown for the Bluejacket gang this year.. Ed from Austin, Sally from Frogmore, Phillip from Atlanta, Rick from PA, Tom from NC , Henry from VA and who else.. Its going to be great. I agree .. THREE BIG CHEERS FOR TOM.........
    ​Henry
    Add Tom Broadfoot from Wilmington, NC who was there last year also. Clint Shultz has also been attending Georgetown with his BJ27 that he upsized to about 29'. We have gone on a cruise to Charleston or Beaufort after the show the last two years and are open to other cruises as well. . There are also great cruising areas in the rivers near Georgetown and we have great cruising waters in the Oriental area too. Weather has been mostly great at that time of year with only one year of rain in the 18 years we have been going.
    Tom L

I am 50/50 for a showing. Not sure how "complete" it may be.

Got all the scarfs and half laps cut, and Betsy and I got the first big panel glued up yesterday. I think it went OK - will find out when I take off the weights and clamp boards. It was chilly last night, in the mid 40's, and this morning the epoxy is hard, but not fully cured. Sort of feels like really hard taffy. I can still barely put a mark with my fingernail. Should I wait until it fully cures to take it apart? I have to finish making a table to hold the 32' panels, so it will be a while before I can start the next panel anyway. I started a photo blog on Flickr, if anyone wants a laugh - www.flickr.com/photos/chas231

Looks like a good start Chas231.looking forward to seeing more.

A little while ago I glued scarf joints for the inwales on my Bluejacket and handling it the next day resulted in the joint coming apart. Lesson learned, wait another day in colder weather for the epoxy to cure. The pictures are looking good. Here are my Bluejacket 25.5 progress pictures http://www.flickr.com/photos/58798913@N03/sets

Egbert

Got the second big panel (4'x32') glued-up today. I realize now we're going to need some mechanical help moving these things. (I've encouraged Betsy to increase her weight training at the gym, but she's not quite ready.). Harry suggested a block and tackle, which will work, but I need some structural advice. I have a 13 foot span, and would like to install some pipe or beam on which a hoist could slide. Lots of support on the sides with triple laminated 2x10's, but nothing in between. I would need to support about 200 pounds. Suggestions?
    Chuck

Hi
    IfI might be allowed to join the party, as Im thinking of building your older cousin sun dance.
    I have just brought the plans and am possibly looking to build one.
    Are the plans any more detailed than on the duckworks website if not then that's fine,
    I just need the permission to build.

I have a good supply of larch at 15 per ft3 is this a good price.
    I will get it sawn to nominal 1 inch boards, so with sanding I should be looking at 3/4 ish -perfect.
    I have a supply of 3/8 ply which I think I will use for skin. Or would you use 1/2 larch?
    Want to epoxy glass it and its to sit on trailer.
    does anyone know of better way of doing chine braces, -using plywood does seem a bit amateur?
    When I get going (sept ish) I will put up thread.
    Are there any other pictures of sun dance.

I notice that Sundancer's chine is not at all parallel with the base line?
    Where as bluejacket are till almost mid point. would make building easier if it were up till the main bulkhead, which by the way sundancer does not seem to have, but I would include.
    Also would make the cabin have a small v berth, as that is what you would expect.

Jamesh
    Last edited by Jamesh; 07-30-2013 at 10:27 AM.

Jamesh,

Sorry for the late reply.

There was a Sundance at the Georgetown show a couple years ago. Bluejacket is not really an enlarged Sundance but it was Sundance that provided the inspiration for the classic appearance. Remember that weight is the enemy of planing boats and is to be minimized where possible and practical. I don't know what the scantlings of Sundance are but 3/8" seems adequate for this little boat. I'd definitely use ply for the skins if the panels are developable. If they aren't, I'd probably modify the offsets to make them so. This could be done with a small model or by conic calculations.

You note that many planing boats as well as Sundance have the aft underbody rising toward the stern. I consider this a compromise for less drag from a deep transom at low speed. It might also be influenced by the fact that most outboards available when the boat was designed had 15" lower units and a deep transom could not be used with them. Big hunks of outboard power were not available then either and this also dictated a low deadrise transom. When I designed the Bluejackets I knew that I wanted the lightest practical weight. My thought was that this would make it unnecessary to worry about a lot of low speed drag and I also wanted a low trim angle that the parallel to waterline aft sections would offer. This has proven to be a good choice. Many designers hung on to this tuck up design even after it was no longer necessary with lighter modern scantlings.

By chine braces, do you mean frame lap joints at the chine? If so, plywood is a very stable material for that job although simple lap joints with bolts are also used. I avoid all frames in my boats and prefer modern monocoque constructions. I think many frames are also holdovers from earlier plank-on-frame construction, where they served to hold the planks together, and can often be omitted with sheet material like plywood and interior constructions.

Of course Sundance is designed as a convertible and might be best built that way. A cabin could be fitted but it might also change the concept so that it is no longer a Sundance. A full length V berth forward might take up too much cockpit room.
    Last edited by Tom Lathrop; 08-08-2013 at 09:18 AM.
    Tom L

Here's a cut and paste from a Weston Farmer article about Sun Dance.

Contradictorily, though the bottom of this boat cannot be planked with plywood in one hunk, her topsides can. It'll take two sheets of 3/8" exterior type plywood 2'-8" x 19' long, which means two special panels with 1'-4" x 19" wasted. Roughly 33 per cent waste. Hardly practical.

No, I think that for the good mechanic, which is the average Mr. American, the smaller the pieces of wood the easier your boat will build.
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

I am working on laying out the storage areas in the floor of the berth area of my BJ28. Are tubs really necessary for the openings on the two sides of the aft section? These areas areas should stay dry as they are separated from the bilge; dry bags could be used to be sure. There would be more room without the tubs. I will use plastic bins in the areas above the bilge. And while I'm asking, what are your thoughts on locating the bilge pump(s)?
    Thanks!
    Chuck

Hi Chuck, good question, I decided to not use tubs on my BJ 271. A few less items to rattle around. We are not sure how we will use that storage area as of right now. We may decide to add tubs later. But I think not.
    Jim

Never even considered using tubs actually; doubt you'd need them. Rick

Hi Chuck,

I created two separate bilge areas by adding a bulkhead in the bilge between the cockpit and the pilot house. One pump goes just before this bulkhead under the pilothouse floor and another under the splash well at the transom. I am looking for pumps that leave a very little amount of water behind. Looks like most of them leave an inch or two.
    There has been a debate about venting the gas tank area. One Bluejacket was surveyed and there was a comment on the area under the floors between the cockpit and pilot house being open. I didn't want any bilge water from the cockpit running to the front of the boat that's why I created the separate areas. However I did drill ventilation holes a bit higher up in that bulkhead.

What brand/model laser did you use for the floor layout, looks neat how it outlined the future floor panels.

Egbert
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/58798913@N03/sets

Thanks for the good feedback. Think I'll size the holes and frame to hang tubs, but like others, doubt they will be of much use because they will not be convenient to access.

Egbert - the laser I use is a Skil, from Lowes. It cost about $100, and has been very helpful laying out lines. 30 feet is an exaggeration, though, unless you're working with low light levels.
    Skil 30-ft Beam Self-Leveling Cross-Line Laser Level
    Item #: 108923 | Model #: 8201-CL

Henry - as always, great advice about the shower sump. It has been ordered and will be here in time for fitting between the stringers in the cockpit.

Thanks all,
    Chuck

I put in plastic tubs under the berths for extra storage of items that would not need accessing often. The tubs keep the contents dry and immediately at hand when needed rather than having to dig around for them in the corners. Now for the facts. We hardly ever have need for them since there is lots of storage in better places in the boat. Water seldom finds its way into that area and then only from operator error. Even on long cruises little has found it way int the tubs and the only permanent thing is a spare propeller that fits without interfering with the tub. The 6 drawers are the most accessible storage and the hanging locker works well for some clothes, cockpit table, fender, extra cockpit chairs, etc, etc.

As an example, I bought Liz a nice antique platter on a cruise in Ontario in a curio shop. She likes to use platters rather than a plate set for guests and it gave me a handy gift idea for years. It was wrapped in a wad of bubble wrap and placed in one space under a berth where it languished for 7 or 8 years before being discovered and presented to her. That illustrates how little we need the space. Mostly we live out of the handy shelves above the berths.

Still, I think the tubs are a good idea if a builder plans to need the storage and I like them much better than the raw space under there. Perhaps I am influenced by unsatisfactory storage space under berths in our sailboats, in which stuff invariably got either lost or wet.

As for a bilge pump under the shower, the deadrise of the bottom provides a great spot for a pump where very little water can accumulate. Epoxy it well and no problem should ever come of it.
    Tom L

I am ready to make all the pieces in the v-berth/forecabin permanent. I'll make sure everything under the soles has three coats of resin. Do the sole and bulkhead pieces also receive three coats? Thanks.
    Chuck

Coat everything, at least two coats. Three is ideal.

Congratulations to Henry and Diane Hassel on the launch of their Bluejacket 28. About 24 months from first cut to getting wet. They get my admiration for the fantastic job and the boat building essential stick to it attitude. A great looking boat that will be in Georgetown for the Bluejacket festival.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bluejacket28/

Check out the build.J
    Jim

I had the pleasure to be there when they launched the boat. Beautiful boat! Beautiful day! It was my first ride on a Bluejacket and I was really impressed with the way it behaved. I hope mine will turn out like that.
    As for Georgetown SC, sadly they had a bad fire at their historic waterfront, destroying 8 buildings on Front street.

Egbert

Thanks Fellows! It has been a ride. Still have miles to go before we rest. But it has been fun along the way. The boat behaved as designed by Tom Lathrop. Diane has helped every step of the way and we are still speaking. She has been the chief epoxy mixer and spreader. With the support of other Bluejacket builders and their picture blogs we got her in the water. More to be done now to complete.
    73 to all.

Henry
    De De
    Bluejacket 28

Henry, What a beautiful boat you have there. Lots of (quiet, smooth) cruising planned I bet.

Any performance numbers with that new Yamaha 90? Have you weighed the boat?
    Denny Wolfe
    www.wolfEboats.com

Quote Originally Posted by mcdenny View Post
    Henry, What a beautiful boat you have there. Lots of (quiet, smooth) cruising planned I bet.

Any performance numbers with that new Yamaha 90? Have you weighed the boat?
    That'd be some interesting info.

Thanks for the comments fellows. Sorry that I do not have numbers yet as I am now waiting for another prop. As I am only the second BJ28 to hit the water and the first with a Yamaha 90 on the back the sea trial was to short to gather all the numbers. I know that I am over the design weight as I used some additional material and have added a few extra refinements to suit our intended cruising time. I did not have all equipment and creature comforts aboard. Still have solar panels , refrigerator, fresh water plumbing and more to add to the numbers. Stay tuned. We are trying to complete wiring and other tasks to be ready for the Georgetown SC Wooden Boat show on October 19. There are suppose to be 8 Bluejacket boats in attendance. Thanks to Tom Lathrop for his design.

Henry
    De De
    Bluejacket 28