Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 234 ... LastLast

Thread: Calling All Bluejacket Owners/ Builders

Default Re: Calling All Bluejacket Owners/ Builders

Dave

While my Great Grandfather's last duty post after Appomattox was Chain Bridge VA (within a stone's throw of Arlington-Lee's home,) I have a spot picked out near Stonewall's grave that suites me just fine. I was asked one time to pledge alligence to the Lone Star flag but I remained silent. I still salute the Blue and Grey. How about associate membership?

Henry

Dave I understand the hardships you must endure. We woke up this morning to a balmy 11degrees F. I have resigned to the fact that progress will be slow during the cold months. If and when we get a warm up I will assemble and glass the transom in place then move on to flipping the hull and getting the outer hull ready for sheathing. If that does not fill my time, I can start the foredeck assembly indoors.
    I seem to be a little more sensitive to the US composite epoxy than other brands I have used. It gives me a runny nose and not much else. Other than that not much to worry about. These boats do consume a lot of epoxy.
    I will provide updates on progress as I can.

At this point I have the transom in place. I hope to have pictures soon. What kind of progress is everyone else making this winter? would love to hear from fellow builders on latest updates. I am filling my time with another kayak. This is second of three, the first one was donated to a very worthwhile local charity to raise some money for the cause. The next two I will mounting on roof racks on the Bluejacket. Let us know what is happening with your bluejacket to keep this going.

For what it is worth, I have been on the road With the Methodist NOMADS.. But had an EBS with ED and DaveH in Austin several weeks ago.. Wife liked the look of their Cypress and Mahogany in the forward berth area and I knew that I wuld have to have it shipped into Virginia. So I found some in San Antonio and now the truck is loaded to bear. RV PLUS. Hope to be making sawdust soon.. Stay tuned.

Henry

Henry, great stuff. The chance to see BluejacketS under construction must have been a thrill. Meeting the builders is Priceless. I am still pondering what I will use for the forecabin ceiling. Let us know when the dust starts flying again.

Kinda of a bump coupled with a need to know. As I was building the turnover frame for the first turnover and thinking about how the logistics will work, the thought came to me. I have spent a significant amount of effort into this project, but I am still along way from having a boat that I can use.
    My question is, How far along am I? Is it 50 % more or less. Labor only, I know the $$$ outlay is going to grow exponentially as I get closer to launch.
    I look forward to the replies and HAPPY SPRING to all.
    Thanks
    Jim

Id be interested to find out what the price is to build one of these sans motor - nice looking boats - anyone kept track of what they have invested money wise in one?
    Last edited by Dutch; 03-13-2012 at 01:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    Id be interested to find out what the price is to build one of these sans motor - nice looking boats - anyone kept track of what they have invested money wise in one?
    The age old what will it cost question. The only real answer is "it depends". But really if you want to know what you can spend on a build, check out Chesapeake Marine Design you can see current estimated costs to build many boats. Including a few that are very similar to the BJ series.
    Good luck with your quest.

I kept pretty decent track of my costs. I had the hull built to a high level of finish including the house & windows and exterior paint. Final bill on that was 27K in '08. The trailer was around 6K in '07. I did all the interior building and finishing between '08 and '11 for about 10K and the motor, with controls and instrument cost just under 10K. So i spent about 55K over 4 years from concept to launch. I suspect material cost for the hull build would be about half of my 27K so if you build that too you would probably be looking at a 40K project. Not cheap but the survey appraisal put replacement cost at 110K.
    Hope this helps. Rick

Quote Originally Posted by landlocked sailor View Post
    I kept pretty decent track of my costs. I had the hull built to a high level of finish including the house & windows and exterior paint. Final bill on that was 27K in '08. The trailer was around 6K in '07. I did all the interior building and finishing between '08 and '11 for about 10K and the motor, with controls and instrument cost just under 10K. So i spent about 55K over 4 years from concept to launch. I suspect material cost for the hull build would be about half of my 27K so if you build that too you would probably be looking at a 40K project. Not cheap but the survey appraisal put replacement cost at 110K.
    Hope this helps. Rick

thanks LL sailor

a couple more questions for you, please - what ply and framing lumber species did you and the builder use and what brand / type of paint and epoxy?

Quote Originally Posted by jimkeen View Post
    Kinda of a bump coupled with a need to know. As I was building the turnover frame for the first turnover and thinking about how the logistics will work, the thought came to me. I have spent a significant amount of effort into this project, but I am still along way from having a boat that I can use.
    My question is, How far along am I? Is it 50 % more or less. Labor only, I know the $$$ outlay is going to grow exponentially as I get closer to launch.
    I look forward to the replies and HAPPY SPRING to all.
    Thanks
    Jim
    Hi Jim,

Since you've not gotten a reply yet I thought I'd jump into the shark pool. You'll see I haven't many posts here but I couldn't seem to resurrect my old account from long, long ago. I'm also a boat manufacturer (the evil fiberglass kind I'm afraid) but I have a set of BJ27 plans and have been in contact with a BJ27 builder over many, many months now helping (I hope) with a myriad of technical questions.

It may be that folks don't want to sound negative if they tell you where they think you are in your build. I don't want to sound negative either but you did ask the question and I take that to mean you'd really like to know. Of course I can't give you an exact answer because everyone works differently so you may end up spending more or less time than someone else on, say, fitting out your cabin. I will give you a very generalized (which means it's about worth what you're paying for it) idea though...my best estimate is that you're around 25% to 30% into your project. The hull is the quicker part. Things slow down a lot when you start to fit out the forward cabin, build the house, and then fit that out. Then there are things like fitting in tanks, running hoses, installing accessories, installing wiring, lights, wipers, batteries, engine controls, gauges, installing the fuel system, fitting decks, adding trim, installing windows, etc. Nothing gets more difficult (in my opinion), things just get fussier and slower because you have a bunch of things to think about, decisions to make, and things to fabricate and install. It just does take time.

I think the best thing is to relax and enjoy it as a hobby and not really worry about how long it takes (but that's just me...I work to too many deadlines).

And an old adage for almost any project is: the last 10% takes 90% of the time.

All the best,

Les
    Last edited by lblampman; 03-14-2012 at 12:30 PM.

Hey,

In regards to tracking boat building progress, completion dates and costs.

Though I have tried to avoid completion goals, I have have felt compelled to answer the inevitable question from well wishers...When is the launch date? Not long ago my answer was May 2013. This was later qualified with "at the earliest". In six weeks I return to Annapolis and won't return to near full time boat building in Austin until November. Today I have yet to install the foredeck thus recognize my folly of expecting to set to sea by May 3013. I started the build in April 2009 and work on it six months per year. I am not enslaved to my build and without hesitation, I drop my tools in response to an offer for a fun endeavor. Yes, I am a plodder in contrast to my friend Philip outside Atlanta who started his BJ 25.5 build in late January 2012. Today he has the Xynole installed and about ready to turn his boat back upright. Leaping lizards Batman!

Two weeks ago, a medevac helicopter departed my home with wife Ann aboard for a seven minute flight to a stroke center in downtown Austin. My one hour drive to the hospital featured much what if and contingency planning thoughts. My brief thought on the Bluejacket build was not completion date but whether Ann would be capable of ever again riding in a boat. Turned out that Ann had a virus featuring much vomiting that put her into Transient Global Amnesia. For 2-12 hours the patient has no short term memory and keeps asking the same questions over and over. The patient appears to have lost his/her mind. Extensive head and heart tests confirmed no stoke occurred and in fact these body parts are in good order. Her future offers many years of boating. In the general scheme of life's events, a boat build completion date is a minor consideration.

Amateur boat builders need not fret over boat build progress and completion dates. Jobs and family issues provide a full course of deadlines, progress reports, etc. A hobby should not add to this chaos.

In regards to build costs, I have assumed the expenditure breakdown will be engine/trailer 50% and finished hull 50% . My guess is around $30,000 total. Yes I am known to be an optimist. I never want to know how much my hourly labor amounted to in $.

I second Les' posting to enjoy the boatbuilding journey and don't fret over costs and build efficiency. He is also right that putting a hull together is fast and oh so satisfying. Then comes the slowdown with cabinet, electrical work, etc. Very similar to the fast and very satisfying event of framing a house then the slowdown of accomplishing wiring, trim etc.

In spite of much work ahead of me on my BLuejacket 25.5, I occasionally have a twinge of sadness thinking ahead to the day my boat is completed and wondering if there is a future build project that will give me the same level of satisfaction.

Regards,

Dave

Jim, My 25' strip planked launch was right at 25% done at turnover, with the outside of the hull fully painted. This boat has a fussy interior but it is open - no real cabin, no inside furniture, etc.

Depending on how fancy you do the BJ interior you are in the 20 ish percent range of being done.

I echo the sentiment above to enjoy the process. Another boat you can use until this one is done might relieve some of the urge to get this one in the water.
    Denny Wolfe
    www.wolfEboats.com

Dave- I hope your wife is doing much better- that is one of the strangest sories of illness I have ever heard - I had no idiea - thank you for the input and all the best to your family

I am so glad I bumped.
    Dave you are absolutely right about our hobby/illness. It is a minor distraction compared to what life can dish up for us to deal with. My prayers for you and your wife. It is so nice to hear that your priorities are all in order. I do admire you.
    BTW my MIL and the youngest member of our family, at 4 weeks old, are undergoing surgery today. Both are doing well, but a definite exclamation point in life.

Les, thank you for your thoughtful and informed reply to my question. I 100% agree with your estimation and of course the only real answer is "it depends". What caused me to ask the question is, unlike many other stitch and glue boats I have built, the hull for the BJ271 along with all Bluejackets, requires a LOT of structure in the hull. This is before the first turnover. I was truly hoping that I was putting in hours up front so that the building of the cabin,decks, cockpit etc would be less of a total percentage of the total build.\This is a great thread and thank you to everyone who has contributed.
    Jim

To all, I do truly enjoy the building process, The challenges and the accomplishments are very rewarding, But i gotta tell ya, When one of your adult sons tells you, they can not wait to get on the boat with their family. That is a TOUCHDOWN.
    Happy building
    Jim

In the end, a boat should pull the family together and we have been very lucky in that regard. Family health issues (mostly mine) played a big part in my building program and are front burner interests for every one. The boat is important but is still just a boat. The main thing is to enjoy the building as much as the using. You want to finish but sometimes, like a good book, you wish it could go a bit longer. I get as much pleasure out of my designs that others have built and are building as my own boats.
    Tom L

My canoe has been a'building for 6 years now. It's time to get her bottom wet. I never want to take 6 years to build a small boat again. Now a big boat.... That's a whole different story.
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

Dave ... Diane and I send our reguards to Ann .. I was concerned when I started to read your post.. I am glad it was not the serious set back.. Our BJ 28 build is one board and one glob of epoxy at a time.. It will get done when launch day comes..
    Take care and safe travel.. stop by when you get down this way..

Jim Good luck Saturday.. awaiting pictures at eleven...

Henry

All turned over with no injuries or drama a very good crew.
    Step one building mold removed, turn over frame installed and up on casters.
    Waiting for the crew.

Step two. Get it out of the shelter.

Step three, invert the hull.

Put it back away and celebrate the moment.

Wow Jim! Over she goes!!! Looks like it went well and congrats!

Les

OK Jim now that you know how to do the turnover its my turn ... Should be in a few months.. Looks good..
    The BJ271 is that with the short cabin and long cockpit? BJ 27 has the 25.5 cabin right or do I have them reversed..

Henry

The way I understand it, the 27 has the 24 cabin and a humungous cockpit, The 271 has the 25.5 extended cabin with the dinette and a 1.5 foot bigger cockpit than the 24.

Quote Originally Posted by mcdenny View Post
    Jim, My 25' strip planked launch was right at 25% done at turnover, with the outside of the hull fully painted. This boat has a fussy interior but it is open - no real cabin, no inside furniture, etc.

Depending on how fancy you do the BJ interior you are in the 20 ish percent range of being done.

I echo the sentiment above to enjoy the process. Another boat you can use until this one is done might relieve some of the urge to get this one in the water.
    Other boats we have to get out on the water.

This is our primary nice and easy does it boat.

And this is the one we scoot around on

Sweet! Is that a Redwing 18? A Bolger Diablo? A couple of my favorite boats.
    Denny Wolfe
    www.wolfEboats.com

Denny good call correct on both counts. Your boats are gorgeous. Well done

Jim,

Ah ha! I now understand your remarkable progress (sans cold weather) on your Bluejacket build. With your previous builds, you not only have numerous boatbuilding tricks in your toolkit, but more importantly, have a well earned perspective on what issues justify getting manic over versus just git er done.

Your Redwing 18 is most handsome indeed especially the color choices. These colors would be my choice for my Bluejacket if not in Central Texas where any color but white puts man and machinery at risk of bursting out in flames from scorching suface temperatures.

Congratulations on your first rollover. Amazing how responsive volunteers are when free beer and pizza are advertised. More importantly, folks are eager to help someone achieve their dream.

Thank you for posting your pictures. Much fun to see your ongoing and completed build results.

Regards,

Dave

Dave, thank you for the kind words, (are phrases like that allowed on the WBF?). Yes i do have the "get er done "attitude. I think this is a big part of my affliction of building boats. It is rewarding when you make good decisions and can move forward with a good product. It is painful and educational when you move too quickly and have a "mulligan" on your hands. Either way it is fun and satisfying.
    So long as I get responses I will continue to post.
    BTW I love the colors of the Redwing and get many compliments.For the Bluejacket, I think I am going with cooler colors maybe battleship grey and a complimentary darker gray on the shear strake. Plenty of time to figure that out. I do need to think of the complimentary bottom paint color, since the time for that is less than a month away.
    Good luck and continued success with your build.
    Last edited by jimkeen; 03-20-2012 at 09:39 PM.

A Bluejacket launch as of today.
    Congratulations to Ed Fredholm a job well done and a great pictorial documentary.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ed_boat/
    Last edited by jimkeen; 05-04-2012 at 10:22 PM.

Thanks for sharing that Jim. Ain't that a shippy looking boat?
    "A man builds the best of himself into a boat- builds many of the memories of his ancestors." -Steinbeck

This video of the Bluejacket seamlessly accelerating while keeping her bow down demonstrates just a couple things I love about these designs.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ed_boat...n/photostream/
    "A man builds the best of himself into a boat- builds many of the memories of his ancestors." -Steinbeck

Of course the bow does rise some but the more important characteristic is that the stern does not sink or squat.
    Tom L

Looks like Ed did a beautiful job. You can see the reflection of the water in the topsides.

The video shows just how well Tom's design works. Look at the wake when the boat is going maybe 10 or 12 mph - there is hardly any! A testament to the moderate dead rise, low bottom loading design.

It sure looks faster than 21 mph. And it sure is ...white.
    Denny Wolfe
    www.wolfEboats.com

Yes, I think even a little color would offer some contrast, break up the monochrome a bit and accentuate her shape. Her sheer is so proud- especially up front. I think a stripe along the sheer would be nice. It sure looks nice.

Thanks Ed. First for all your photographs and second for keeping up the pace with your carrot held out in front. Congratulations! Now its time to get on the water.. While Dave is out you can surprise him with completing his boat now that you know how it is done..

Hneyr.

Quote Originally Posted by k4lmy View Post
    Thanks Ed. First for all your photographs and second for keeping up the pace with your carrot held out in front. Congratulations! Now its time to get on the water.. While Dave is out you can surprise him with completing his boat now that you know how it is done..

Hneyr.
    Henry I think you are a trouble maker, : )

I know that you have visited with both builders and have a genuine report with them both. It is just awesome that we have a place to share our projects. the good the bad and the ugly.

Now a real question for the pros.
    How much zynol will I need to complete the boat?
    The full sheathing of the hull and all of the deck.

Thanks

Maybe Ed or Dave will chime in with the answer. I will be ordering my xynole in the next several weeks and have got to figure it out also.. Some one posted they used about 8 gal of epoxy for a 30 ft. boat. That would include the epoxy coats as well as the fairing.. As they say Liquid gold. Thinking about first turnover on May 19..

Henry

Gentlemen,

I purchased 43 yards of Xynole from Raka for my Bluejacket 25.5 . I never measured how much was left over but the amount was some number of yards. Forum posters say to make sure the Xynole is shipped on a tube as folded creases can be a pain to work or iron out. Raka shipped mine rolled on a tube.

I didn't document the epoxy quanity used for Xynole lamination thus speculate about six gallons. Ed put Xynole in the anchor well for abrasion resistance and I shall follow his lead. On the deck and pilot house roof, 6oz fiberglass will be used.

Last Thursday with Ed was quite the day as I enjoyed my first ride on a Bluejacket. Underway this vessel had no bad manners. Entering and departing plane was spooky as the bow raised only slightly in comparison to other planning boats I have ridden. In fact running around 10 knots the helmsmen played with the throttle and the crew would independantly assess whether the bow was raising thus indicating planning was starting.

Ed's boat is a work in progress with accent colors, rub rails, finalizing the waterline, etc. yet to come. In fact, the fuel tank has some odds and ends to complete so a six gallon tank was used and fit nicely in the engine well. Using about 1 1/2 gallons an hour this six gallon tank served Ed well Thursday and Friday. His boat was professionally painted with Awlgrip thus has a spectacular finish. Shortly after tying up at a fuel dock/restaurant, two individuals arrived on the scene with many questions about the boat and voiced their admiration of her lines.

Yup, Ed's photo documentation has been invaluable to the Bluejacket community. I have avoided much protracted pondering by referencing his photos. Ed has been a trailblazer for us all.

Some good and bad news. My wife Ann had her first Bluejacket ride on Friday and really, really liked Ed's boat. The bad news. "Dave, can't you speed up the build so we can enjoy the boat"?

Regards,

Dave

"Dave, can't you speed up the build so we can enjoy the boat"?

I love it. Dave.. Just cancel your return and get on with the boat building.. Diane has been enjoying the photographs from you as well as Ed and Jim. Just how are we going to get all the BJ's together for a group photograph with Tom's Liz in the middle?

Henry

If you use the page for weights and measures data in the plans, you can figure just about anything you need. Epoxy is about 65#/cu ft and there are 7.5 gal/cu ft. Xynole is 0.36#/ft sq with three coats of epoxy and you can use this number excluding the weight of Xynole as a safety factor. Calculate or measure how many sq ft you are covering and you get the needed amount of epoxy for whatever you are sheathing. Not sure what the mentioned 6 gal refers to.

Xynole is way overkill on most decks other than the anchor well and fiberglass is quite acceptable. As an experiment I did not put any fiberglass at all in the cockpit sole and it has done well for 12 years with only epoxy coating plus the tough Devoe 4508 epoxy paint. There should be a lot of Xynole left over from 43 yards. Just take the length of the boat and multiply by 4 and that is the linear length of Xynole you need. All available widths I've seen are adequate with plenty left over.

We had 3 Bluejackets in Georgetown, SC last October for the boat show and did a cruise on the ICW to Beaufort. Expecting 4 boats this year since a new BJ25.5 is launching in a couple weeks in Wilmington. If we can entice Rick and Viv to bring their BJ28 from PA, that makes 5 and the show organizers may need another dock.
    Last edited by Tom Lathrop; 05-06-2012 at 12:32 PM.
    Tom L

Thank you Tom and Dave for the guidelines to estimating the amount of cloth needed. I will use Dynel on the decks since that offers a very nice looking, almost a canvas look and is non skid. I used it on my Redwing and have been very happy with the appearance and non slip qualities.
    I will buy from Raka best price and very good service for the 62 inch wide Xynole.
    Since these boats are easily to trailer, George town sounds like a great rendezvous spot. I am going out on a limb here but count on us for 2013.
    Happy building
    Jim Keenan

Dates, we need dates! Rick

Oct 20, 2012 Rick.. Third weekend.. of October..

How is your tender lift going?

Henry...

http://www.woodenboatshow.com/ If there is a better boat show, I don't know of it.

Its a great event Rick, and Oriental is a good stopover point with the possibility of another cruise. Free dock and bed too. There is also the annual B&B messabout nearby on the Bay River the last weekend in Oct. Its nominally for B&B boats but we would not be run off.
    Tom L

All right then, I have figured out why Bluejacket builders disappear once the boat is turned over for the first time. It is the curse of S&G. the dreaded sanding ritual. So having built a few S&G boats I thought I knew what I was in for.
    Well it aint that easy.
    After you get the hull to look somewhat like the plans you need to sheath the behemoth you have created. That is going to take a LOT and I mean a LOT of epoxy. then you need to slather the hull, like icing a cake. Not once but twice. First time sanding using a 7 inch 80 grit sander, second time a little more gently. I used my Porter Cable RO sander with 80 grit.
    Next step is to put the keel on and glass it in. Then a coat of primer that will be sanded off to find the low spots. Then more filling and 80 grit sanding. After that a final (maybe) coat of epoxy and a quick dash of 100 grit before the primer and bottom paint.
    YIKES no wonder we never hear from builders at this stage.

Looking for advice, motivation and encouragement at his point.
    And I thought three days at the Wooden Boat Show would be the motivation to remedy for the slow pace.

Yep Jim.. you are right on.. June for me has been a bit of a lost cause with some dental repair that went into the bucket.. and now with 100+ days and 80 degree nights.. Yes we have broken records.. Flats on .. keel , transom , and chimes taped.. and keel bow laminated today.. hope to put xynol on next week with a little lower temp.

Maybe next year we can have a BJ day at the WB show.. You , Rick and me.. Here's hoping...

Henry

I hoisted Surpise on to the cabin top this morning using the crane and a luff (3 part) tackle. That's from the driveway 11' below. It was too hot to proceed further but I still have to figure out the cabintop bracket. My gut tells me the ipe one I made is not adequate to support the torque of the dinghy on the crane 4'+ above the cabin top. I may need to enlist the services of a structural engineer. Fortunately my best friend from prepubescent years carries the requisite credentials.
    Tom, I am sorry I missed your post from 5/7. I guess my lurking skills have been deficient. I will do my level best to arrange our schedule to make this happen this year. Best to Liz. Rick and Vivianne.