Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234 LastLast

Thread: Kit cars ,unusual kit cars ......

Default Re: Kit cars ,unusual kit cars ......

Nah... Darth Vader rides a motorbike. You have seen the helmet I'm using in Asia, haven't you?
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    Oh, OK... if you insist. Lightburn were a washing machine manufacturer IIRC, who decided to diversify into cars

This is the Lightburn Zeta Sports. The normal Zeta is too ugly to show here.

Thanks for taking our delicate sensitivities into mind when deciding not to post the pic of the Zeta. Maybe someone should start a thread on really ugly cars.

Unfortunately curiosity got the best of me and I googled the Zeta and watched a vid on utube. Amazingly it sounds like a washing machine too. Interchangeable transmissions maybe?
    John
    ----
    To err is human. To arr is pirate.

Lightburn also made and continue to make cement mixers ... is there a lesson there ?
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Lightburn also made and continue to make cement mixers ... is there a lesson there ?
    Yes, at some point before you get too far along, hire a graphic designer! Or even a hair stylist -- someone who know something about style and flair!

Can you imagine sitting in some meeting discussing the latest improvement in top loaders, maybe the newest shade of white, when someone pops up with "I know! Let's build a sports car! We got big machine things and guys that can hook metal together. It will be great!"

Personally I love to see this real "thinking outside the box" thing--people taking chances. It certainly worked for David Brown, and Lamborghini.

John
    ----
    To err is human. To arr is pirate.

Here are some shots of my Beck 550 Spyder replica.
    It was a fun project but a bugger to get registered in Cali.

That 550 is pretty!

Back in the 70's I had a Fiberfab Avenger. Looked 95% like a GT40. No doors - the whole cab (windshield, where the doors would be, & part of the roof) lifted up. Based on a 1300 VW.

It was body #2 IIRC, & they hadn't quite worked out the front body mounts yet. Well, let's be honest, there were no front body mounts & we had to fabricate them. It was "fondly" known as the "Abortion". Finest kind of paint job: Krylon bright red.

We put fat tires on it & a dune buggy exhaust. Would scare people for miles. Handled surprisingly well - until it didn't handle at all when the inside wheel tucked under.

I'll never forget being stopped in North Conway NH for going 75 in a 35, no brake lights, tail lights, turn indicators, wipers, horn & I forget what else he found (or didn't as the case may be). Made for an interesting day - involving several hours in jail.

Looked pretty much like this except red

What engine have you got in the Beck, Murph?

Ahh... back wheel tucking under.... swing axle eh?
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

Ahh... back wheel tucking under.... swing axle eh?
    VW Bug motor & chassis - so yes indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    They fixed that for the '67 model year with a Porsche designed IRS that is really good.

They fixed that for the '67 model year with a Porsche designed IRS that is really good.
    Yup - it was a 66 IIRC.

Berkley motor cars

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berkeley_Cars

engine.

After 163 of the SA322 cars had been manufactured, a change was made to the SE328 model with a 328 cc Excelsior engine offering 18 bhp (13 kW; 18 PS). The production run ran from Jan 1957 to April 1958 with chassis numbers from 164 to 1422, many being exported to the United States. The
    The guy who owns it and the guys who have rebuilt the motor seem to agree that its an Excelsior.

That's not a bad kit , it would come up well!

Grateful Dead

That's not a bad kit , it would come up well!
    Yeah... its based on cars that are pretty much unobtainable here though... and it doesn't have suspension, engine or gearbox

I'm not going there but are these things flexible ,could you substitute a local GMH ?
    Grateful Dead

I don't even want to think about it... maybe a mid-size Ford from the same era?

You guys SAY you build boats, yet will order a kit car, instead of building one from scratch? Oh ya, it IS the bilge.....carry on.

Not all that good. The favoured option is a (stronger) type 3 conversion, SSP box with Porsche 924 axles (as my offroader has)

Quote Originally Posted by purri View Post
    Not all that good. The favoured option is a (stronger) type 3 conversion, SSP box with Porsche 924 axles (as my offroader has)
    Not a lot of difference with the Type 3 IRS, the torsion bar is a bit thicker IIRC and I'm pretty sure you can slot them in to the Type 1 setup - other than that, they don't fit due to different tracks. The stronger modified setups use Porsche forged trailing arms, rather than axles - the VW trailing arms being stamped and welded. Mine has Porsche 930 CVs on the axles, done by the guys at Punchbowl (Boris and Co.)... bigger balls in them

Like the UK Pembleton? A Citroen 2CV front end and your choice of a BMW or Moto Guzzi engine . Love 'em but i can't have one in Oz . Are you 'Mericans allowed to have one on the road ?

I really like the look of that car, but I don't have much more to add...

So, how about an "un"-kitted car?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qe_mS_ucYCM
    We don't know how lucky we are....

There was a Jag C type replica at the island a few weeks ago, a good one too apart from the tyres. Right down to the very spartan interior of the original but I don't know about the gear box oil leaks.
    Here's one from NZ
    http://www.classiccar.co.nz/articles...pe-replica-200

Grateful Dead

Some nice Morgan 3 wheelers here, check out the stripped down model at about 1.47.

Not a lot of difference with the Type 3 IRS, the torsion bar is a bit thicker IIRC and I'm pretty sure you can slot them in to the Type 1 setup - other than that, they don't fit due to different tracks. The stronger modified setups use Porsche forged trailing arms, rather than axles - the VW trailing arms being stamped and welded. Mine has Porsche 930 CVs on the axles, done by the guys at Punchbowl (Boris and Co.)... bigger balls in them
    Mine may have 930 axles but certainly Kombi CVs and remember it is a CB with a lesser rear axle width than the usual!

Quote Originally Posted by skipper68 View Post
    You guys SAY you build boats, yet will order a kit car, instead of building one from scratch? Oh ya, it IS the bilge.....carry on.
    What Skipper, something like this in tulip wood?

T
    hen there's th Weymann system, fabric over wood.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weymann_Fabric_Bodies

Lets not forget Bamboo...

2165cc VW Type 1 engine
    Custom Tube Frame

That is significantly nicer than the Fiberfab. 1300cc, stock Solex, nothing even resembling that piece of art.

That is significantly nicer than the Fiberfab. 1300cc, stock Solex, nothing even resembling that piece of art.
    Shoot. . . . . . .its nicer than some original Spyders that I've seen.
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

For anyone still curious about the Pembleton, here is my 4 wheel Brooklands and more can be seen on the Pembleton Forum. http://www.thepembleton.org.uk/
    (There are two currently in Australia).
    Attached Images Attached Images

They would be an expensive build in Australia Martin, 2CVs are very rare here.
    Grateful Dead

Most of the images posted on this thread, though not all, are not coming up, either have a little black box with an x or a message from photo*ucket or a similar one from Picturetrail......
    just trawling through various other threads with pics and there seems to be no problem . Any ideas ?
    off with their heads

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy View Post
    Most of the images posted on this thread, though not all, are not coming up, either have a little black box with an x or a message from photo*ucket or a similar one from Picturetrail......
    just trawling through various other threads with pics and there seems to be no problem . Any ideas ?
    I see a # of pics - but there are lots lost to the PB massacre. There may be something local to you that's blocking some - creating the box with an X.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

I have dug up the following:
    http://peters-pembletons.blogspot.co.uk/
    I understand that Peter has sadly passed away, but he is much admired over here by those who knew him. I think he imported most of the 2cv parts from here in the UK via the Pembleton community.

Be nice if the Hawk AC Bristol Ace kit car was available in the US. The Cobra kit cars are too over the top for me.

Jeff C