Thread: Adams interclubs

Hello,
    Does anyone have any information about the Adams interclub class, one design sloop. These boats were designed by Fred Goeller in 1937. I have owned one previously and just obtained another. As far as i know they are the only two left. They were built at Quincy Adams yacht yard in Mass. Any information would be appreciated.

LOA 24'6"

Default Re: Adams interclubs

Quote Originally Posted by AS View Post
    Hello,
    Does anyone have any information about the Adams interclub class, one design sloop. These boats were designed by Fred Goeller in 1937. I have owned one previously and just obtained another. As far as i know they are the only two left. They were built at Quincy Adams yacht yard in Mass. Any information would be appreciated.

LOA 24'6"
    This old post surfaced in my Google alerts today Feb 22, 2008. I didn't see any responses.

I sailed an Adams Inter Club, Clair II, owned by C.Willis Garey from 1951 through 1957 from the Quincy Yacht Club, Quincy, MA.

I have know that "Bruce Elfstrom" <bioelf@mindspring.com> has restored one and there are wonderful pictures of the restoration and the restored boat.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Exclamation Re: Adams interclubs

My recent 4/21/18 web browsing using Google and searching a bunch of names in different searches;
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Adams Interclub Class boats (9 in all) were built at:
    Quincy Adams Yacht Yard, Quincy MA
    (formerly F. D. Lawley, Inc.)

from article found in MotorBoating - Feb 1938 - Page 122
    Quincy Adams Yacht Yard, Quincy MA start building Charles Francis Adams Interclub in 1938

First boat delivered to Mayor Of Quincy

Adams Interclubs were 24 1/2 feet, waterline length 17 feet.
    Beam 6 feet, 4 foot draft, 1000 lb lead keel.
    They had a little cabin to stow sails and offer shelter.

Profile and and sail plan can be seen on my "UncleDave's Newsbasket of Random Stuff" blog.

C. Willis Garey, bought Mayor Burgin's Adams class sloop Claire II. {in 1941]

I crewed for Willis and sailed the Claire II from 1951 till I went on active duty in the Coast Guard in 1957,

We sailed two boat races with Adams Class # 5 at Quincy Yacht Club.
    Last edited by MrDave; 04-22-2018 at 10:29 AM. Reason: wrong yrear

Default Re: Adams interclubs

1957 June 24 BG p9 - Bermuda Cup.JPG

Claire II was AIC-1; note who skippered. The boat still lives today as Matoka.

AIC is Adams InterClub. Aries was, I think, AIC-5 the ex-Inishowen. I do not recognize the 3rd boat; it may not have been an AIC.