Thread: Good books on trim carpentry?

Default Good books on trim carpentry?

I'm gearing up to spend the winter trimming out 2 bathrooms, a foyer(with closet), a large living room (with bay window) and a large master bedroom (with three closets).

Style will be some sort of A&C; Mission, Craftsman, Prairie, etc..

7 windows, an exterior door, 4 swinging interior doors and 3 pocket doors, one (square) archway, one fireplace.

I'm looking for good books on styles, techniques, etc..

Already on order:

The New Decorating with Architectural Trimwork Jay Silber

Trim Carpentry (Build Like A Pro)Clayton Dekorne

Trim Carpentry Techniques: Installing Doors, Windows, Base and Crown
    Craig Savage

Any suggestions?

Default Re: Good books on trim carpentry?

Hmmmm...... I didn't know there were books on the subject. I just thought you were born knowing these things.....
    Never trust a man with a clean workshop.

Look into the Fine Homebuilding stuff from Taunton Press. The compilations of similar articles have lots of good info in them. Their online forums are helpful, too.

I just signed up for my 14-day free trial on FineHomebuilding.com, and have already downloaded some PDF files. Two of the three books I've ordered so far are from Taunton.

Sounds like you're off to a good start. Basic trimwork is pretty straightforward. Things like crown molding can be a little tricky. (just remember upside down and backwards ). The hardest thing is dealing with houses that are crooked/out of square/sagging. Your scribe is your friend.

Steven

There won't be a curve, and probably not a miter in the whole job, Steven.

This is what we like:

No detail molding at all. Just straight lines and butt joints. I'd probably join all the headers in this hallway.

Depending on what you're doing, Linden Publishing's annotated repring of the 5th edition (1911) of George Collins' 1886 Circular Work in Carpentry and Joinery is widely considered to be the best work on the topic. You can search inside the book at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Circular-Carpentry-Joinery-George-Collings/dp/0941936481

Cambium Books is about the best source I've ever found for woodworking/furniture making books: http://www.cambiumbooks.com/

Gary Katz's Finish Carpentry is pretty good. He's also got a DVD series on the subject: http://www.garymkatz.com/store.html, and his site has some good articles.

Jim Tolpin's Finish Carpenter's Manual is also pretty good. He does pretty good work. Here's a Varda (gypsy wagon) that he built:

Last edited by Nicholas Carey; 10-21-2011 at 04:49 PM.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)