Thread: 40' Ketch by L.H. Coolidge in New Zeland

I am looking for information on a 40' ketch designed by L.H. Coolidge for a Mr. Charles A. Livingston, Esq. of Wellington, New Zeland. The design is # 660 .The plans were drawn in 1936.
    The design is one of a handful of sailing yachts designed by L.H. Coolidge and is the only one specificallydesigned for a client that was not located on the West Coast or Puget Sound. Her particulars are 40 x 11-6 x 6-3.
    Any information would be appreciated

Hi Plimsol,I emailed Harold Kidd and he provided the following:

"The yacht in question is RAUKAWA built for Livingstone by B.J. Jukes in Wellington in 1938. She's still around in Wellington, I think. Her NZYF # is 1011."

I looked up that number in a 1985 register( they have more info in them) and it gave the name Terra NovaII, Alden.

When I saw that, the first thing I thought was "renamed and mixed up history" and thats not an uncommon thing.
    Nothing conclusive about that though. It might still well be a different boat. Something to start with though eh.

That's the other thing which could have happened regarding the sail number. If she left here, her number would eventually be taken and then it's just coincidence that the number was taken by another American design.
    Funny.... Members of my wife's family built a boat called the RUAWAKA in Wellington during the war. It was about 40 ft.Melted anything they could get for lead. One family legend involves melting metal toothpaste tubes down ( I assume a decent lead content). Is that scary or what.

John,
    The plans and some correspondence are available from the L.H.Coolidge Collection.
    Thank you for the information. Reusing sail numbers is the pits for doing historical research.

Nice job Tony.

Thanks.

A pretty boat.

With the possible exception of those davits...

Alan

Various towns in NZ. Sleep in a different bed every night!

Default Re: 40' Ketch by L.H. Coolidge in New Zeland

There is a possibility that the Raukawa will be located. Just thinking what the next move is as every time I try to discuss it's history I get closed down. Sitting low for a while ok. If you have any information re this boat's movements or owners in the last 20 years you are welcome to email me at rdeboer@nettel.net.nz thanks.
    Last edited by Robittybob1; 07-15-2011 at 08:47 PM. Reason: adding contact

I was hoping to up load a photo of the Raukawa. It appears that the file size has to below 19.5 KB. Time it is brought down to this size it not really visible. Does someone know how to solve this problem? rdeboer@nettel.net.nz
    Last edited by Robittybob1; 07-16-2011 at 05:54 PM.

Possible sighting of Raukawa being discussed http://www.hunterproductions.co.nz/guestbook.htm

Maybe Rob, if you were actually discussing the history of the vessel, rather than trying desperately to link it to a solved murder case, then discussion wouldn't be shut down? Or is the history not actually important, just the "link" to the murders?
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by dhic001 View Post
    Maybe Rob, if you were actually discussing the history of the vessel, rather than trying desperately to link it to a solved murder case, then discussion wouldn't be shut down? Or is the history not actually important, just the "link" to the murders?
    Daniel
    Oddly enough all aspects of it's history are important and endlessly interesting as well.
    I do realise, as I read up a bit on old boats, they end up parked up somewhere and deteriorate, so chunks of the Raukawa's history might be very sad as well.
    What I have been told so far is that there was a crew of 5 people on this boat when it was in the Marlborough Sounds 1998.
    Now that is what I've been told, the name "Raukawa" and the make up of the crew. Contrary to this is the group who discuss this case on the various message boards and the majority of them have said to me that "[Deleted]" (his username on TradeMe) is just making it up.
    So that is my predicament is this classic ketch still around or not. Ok 1998 is now 13 years in the past already so there is more recent history to work out as well. Where can I start on a search like this. Obviously the Classic Yachts forum would have been the best but that very interesting thread that had been going for just 5 days (close to 1000 views) was closed and I was given a month's suspension. It certainly is a topic that still fascinates all those in the boating fraternity more so than any other group.
    Mike Kallaugher who wrote the book "The Marlborough Mystery" used the boating forums in his research to locate his suspect boat "Steppenwolfe". I personally have no views on that choice. His advantage might have been that he was a yacht owner himself and hence "trusted" whereas the forum might not know "Robittybob1" who really has only owned a raft as a kid, and that on the Waikiwi Stream in Southland.
    What the forum can be assured is that if the Raukawa is located and proven to have been at Furneaux, is that no crime was committed on this vessel.
    It is just put the record straight; did Guy Wallace deliver the two people to a larger "ketch sized" vessel rather than a small sloop?
    Last edited by Robittybob1; 07-29-2011 at 01:56 PM. Reason: deleted username

What I forgot to mention was that in the search through the forums for threads discussing the Scott Watson case I found the thread "Watson / Hope / Smart - Bizarre Letter Recieved"
    Watson / Hope / Smart - Bizarre Letter Recieved

This was going well and heading for the 1300 views when I was "permanently banned" without warning or discussion. I am obviously appealing that decision on the part of the forum moderator, but I have yet to receive any communication on the subject.

The way there was such a strong opposition to raising this topic just makes me want to delve into it deeper. If what [Deleted] has said was absolutely untrue why would there be any opposition?
    Last edited by Robittybob1; 07-29-2011 at 03:43 AM.

I have searched Google and still no sign of a ketch called Raukawa. It could have gone across to Australia and then north up to Noumea. Changed it's name and just lost for good. Seems pretty hopeless talking about it in NZ, so I am wondering if there are forums run by the Australians. Does anyone know of any good overseas forums?

Came across a reference to the "Amokura O Raukawa" (article can be found quickly on Google using that name). From a brief description I have a feeling it could be the same boat. Waiting to contact the owner and photographs.

PS: From the length of the boats they are clearly not the same boats. one is 40' and the other 9.2 meters (assuming roughly 3' to the meter would make the Amokura O Raukawa a mere 30' not the 40' of the Raukawa.
    Last edited by Robittybob1; 07-30-2011 at 02:35 AM. Reason: Additional information

The owner of the Amokura knew the Raukawa in the 70s. He said it had been reconfigured to a cutter.

Raukawa - the one built by Joe Jukes in Wellington to the Coolidge design was bought by a young German during the 1990s and sailed to Sydney. Raukawa is the Maori name for the Cook Strait, and also the name of an Iwi (tribe). It's a pretty popular name She often gets mixed up with Ruawaka, built by Fisher shortly after WWII, which was bought by a British couple and taken on a world cruise, also during the 90s. Ruawaka is now in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by gavinpascoe View Post
    Raukawa - the one built by Joe Jukes in Wellington to the Coolidge design was bought by a young German during the 1990s and sailed to Sydney. Raukawa is the Maori name for the Cook Strait, and also the name of an Iwi (tribe). It's a pretty popular name She often gets mixed up with Ruawaka, built by Fisher shortly after WWII, which was bought by a British couple and taken on a world cruise, also during the 90s. Ruawaka is now in the UK.
    Very interesting, for it was Sydney based person who wrote on the TeadeMe websites that the Raukawa was back in NZ with Australians on board at the end of 1997. This person has now died but I still have his notes on file.

I am the caretaker of Raukawa built 1938 Wellington.
    happy to share info and photos.
    Feel free to message me.

Happy to see this come up again as I am one of many who has questions about this case and find it hard to believe that experienced boaties can mix up a 40 ft ketch with a 30 ft sloop.