Thread: First time build - Arch Davis Sand Dollar

Default First time build - Arch Davis Sand Dollar

Hiya. New user here - been lurking for about a decade and finally decided to get off my arse and build something so I had a reason to post here. I ordered the plans for Arch Davis' Sand Dollar about three years ago, cut and shaped the inner stem and transom about a year and a half ago, and finally managed to get the garage cleaned out enough to create enough room to actually build a boat last month. Then it was off to the BORG for frame and strongback wood. Once the frames were cut and up (took about a week, evenings and weekends), it was over to Adams&Kennedy (local wood merchant.... my favourite place in the world) for some 'real' wood.

Stem is walnut, keel is mahogany, chines, stringers, seat risers, and other "long bendy bits" are air dried ash, and got some nice white oak for the deadwood, skeg, and various and sundry hard-use areas. Rudder and centerboard are undecided as yet. Planking is going to be 6mm Meranti 1088.

It's been a learning experience so far - I've learned how to consistently sharpen planes and chisels. I've learned the joys of truly sharp planes and chisel. I've learned that truly sharp planes and chisels only need to be in the general vicinity of flesh to cause significant blood flow. I've learned the joys of working with Ash grain (very few, but it smells so good). I've learned that my SECOND attempt at a joint/rebate/whatever will usually be acceptable. The first, notsomuch. I've learned that for the moment, shims will somewhat compensate for a sixteenth here and there.

Default Re: First time build - Arch Davis Sand Dollar

Welcome to the forum. Sand Dollar is a simple little charmer I've always liked.

Wouldn't it improve the beauty of our waterfronts if everyone learned to build a good skiff like that? They are a lot of fun to build and they look super. Got any color schemes laid out yet? I have always like a traditional white with red bottom and red shearstrake.

First design I ever fell in love with was the Penobscot 17, a dozen-ish years ago, iirc. That is one beautiful boat. Figured I'd try something a bit easier but almost as pretty to practice making expensive sawdust with. I really like the 'saltiness' of the design, and Arch's plans and build manual are fantastically comprehensive.

Dave, I was thinking white with dark green instead of red, but not far off from your suggestion. Possibly finish the interior bright, depending on how badly I botch (or don't) the finishing.

Stu.

That's awesome, Semper. Sometimes the smallest and simplest sorts of boats provide the very most fun. I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of her in the water!

From the look of your construction thus far, and the size and fit of the various bits, I'd say this will be a stout little craft that will endure for decades to come.

Beware those chisels. I have never been nipped by my tablesaw, which I treat with great respect. But I do have a lovely spray of arterial blood across one wall of my shop due to a deep stick with a 1/4-inch chisel.

Hi Semper, good luck. I have the plans for the Penobscot 17 sitting in my bedroom - where they have sat for maybe 4 years! Maybe your thread will encourage me to actually start cutting wood.

I've got some plans, some tools, some woodworking skills, and a few cuts too. I even think I have the time since I retired although that commodity is also becoming a threat. My excuse for, oh say, almost 2 years delay is 1) wishing to build at our cottage in Nova Scotia versus "full time"residence in Virginia 2) not having really suitable space to build 3) difficulty sourcing local materials, especially plywood and 4) general procrastination (not really even a valid excuse but I thought I'd throw it in)

On the positive side, I have taken a boatbuilding course at Woodboat School, I have built some extras, like 7 1/2 foot oars and a bunch of wooden cleats and chocks, I've got just about every imaginable tool except a band saw available at the cottage, and I've got lots of great books. I, too, have relished learning the ins and outs of sharpening and using hand planes, chisels for paring, and spokeshaves. Spar marking jigs, etc etc.

Choosing the right plan's been a chore, if pleasant. I generally want a combined smallish row, sail, motor skiff. I have plans for the Penobscot 14, Stimpsons' Sea Urchin, Steve Redmond's "Bluegill". and Ian O's Spike, and a couple others from books. I think I've settled on Spike to begin . . .uh, except I got the plans for Jordanboat's "Newt", just to get out on the water quickly ( (; ) ) , paddle around and do a little fishing in the harbor.

Finally, I would like to avoid using epoxy for glue, and the expense and mess and toxicity that comes along with it. I believe, at least on the Newt, I will use a combination of Weldwood resin (Dynamite liked it), and Titebond III.

This thread started with Sand Dollar, and I have to admit that's how I got here; I saw one advertised for sale and half thought about buying versus building . . .
    Last edited by Don S; 01-17-2012 at 04:36 PM.

I am building Sand Dollar in Belleville, Ontario...Getting close to finish.

Alland, please post pics of your project...

I will as soon as I figure out how to do it. I am looking for the poster from Eastern Ontario or anywhere in the area. I could have built a second Sand Dollar along side the first in 1/3 the time. My brain doesn't work like it use to.

Allan

Very nice job for a first time build! I wonder how far the project is now.