Thread: Flat bottom skiff and blunt bow

Default Flat bottom skiff and blunt bow

I am about to finish my Ladybug 18' and was looking for another project to tinker with during winter. I had a carolina skiff in the past that I loved for bowfishing. I was thinking about building something similar to it and was looking for plans for a flat bottom square nosed skiff that was a simple build. Does anybody have any ideas or links to plands before I hack up a bunch of plywood and 2x4's making my own. I was thinking something around 18' with about an 8' beam. Thanks, Andrew

Default Re: Flat bottom skiff and blunt bow

Doug Hylan has a couple nice V-bottom garveys that you might consider.

http://www.dhylanboats.com/

This one is fairly close in dimensions.
    http://www.bateau.com/studyplans/XF2....htm?prod=XF20

Thanks guys. Close to what I want, but I think I'll keep looking or maybe start laying out something on paper and see how it looks. Andrew

This is on my 'to build someday' list

http://www.jwboatdesigns.co.nz/plans/trover/index.htm
    Greg H. - from before the great crash, 20th century member 108

“You shall know the truth and the truth shall make you odd.”

check out Hannu's 15'8" fishing punt online @ Hannu's Boatyard. he has several good looking projects.

Are you totally committed to the garvey transom bow? A Pacific City dory is very, very bluff forward, but still comes to a point. It allows you to fish forward with all the bearing surface up there, yet still have the strength and wave defense of a pointed bow.

E

How about this one? 18' long, 7'1" beam and can be laid out any way you desire inside.

http://www.bateau.com/studyplans/GF1....htm?prod=GF18

George

I believe that might be what I build. Looks simple and should draft very little, even with 2-3 guys on the front and Ol' Sparky running for the lights.

Thanks,
    Andrew

It also has a great capacity. Look at the scupper with it empty and then look at it in this picture with over 3,000lbs of people on board. The boat only sank about 4-5inches even with the added weight.

George

I'm wondering how efficient this hull form is compared to a sharpie hull???? I'm not looking for a race, but an efficient carry all with a small outboard, like 10 hp.

Several houseboat plans use this hull and I wonder too how those PDR boxes sail? That bow just seems like it would get bashed in waves and jar your teeth out.

Is the trick keeping the bow high, like a landing craft? I saw an aluminum landing craft type that I really liked but I thought it couldn't go off shore unless it was calm. How do they do?

maybe you should look to the JON BOAT design with an exaggeraed up swept bow. a jon boat does not have to look like abox. ...have had a lot experience in those boats. build with slightly more than a 20 deg flair @ sides, taper slightly toward the bow and turn its nose up a bit...+/- 16'x 4'....a 5 or so hp out board will move it along nicely. google john or jon boats theres a few good ones out there..
    Last edited by george l; 09-16-2011 at 12:05 PM. Reason: word left out

George1, Thats basically what I'm planning to build, an oversized wood jonboat. doesn't have to be fast or something you want to be in in rough water. Just stable and shallow draft. Most time will be in less than 2' of water with the generator running about 5000 watts of halogens. when the water is more than a ripple won't be out cause I can't see to shoot.

Andrew

..Andrew...sounds to me like you already, 'almost' ,'kinda' maybe just know what you want to build....I am in that same quandry. The boat I want does not exist and never will....I want too much from one craft. I want a 16' jon boat that I can live aboard and sail from san diego to tahiti.. My best advice= draw it, build it and enjoy it.......you are not building a grand piano. If you do not like your final product you should'nt have trouble selling it.....betting you are an above average craftsman.
    Last edited by george l; 09-17-2011 at 12:44 AM. Reason: forgot to sign

yeah, just a photo op at the texas coat builders meet this summer. It does demonstrate the capacity pretty well
    George