Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I Entered Three Of My Wines Into Alaska State Fair's Berry Division....

Thumbs up I Entered Three Of My Wines Into Alaska State Fair's Berry Division....

...and here are the results
    Choose wisely -Treat kindly...

A secret to a good marriage is to have a quick mind and a slow mouth...

S/V ORCA 38' Herreshoff Ketch

Default Re: I Entered Three Of My Wines Into Alaska State Fair's Berry Division....

Not that you're boasting or nuffing, But that is a splendid result. I wish I was there to make sure that it had not sploit in the bottle. Congratulations from Sue and I.

Default Re: I Entered Three Of My Wines Into Alaska State Fair's Berry Division....

Thanks Barney and Sue. This was the first time EVER that I have entered any of my wines to be judged anywhere. I'm pretty stoked-up !

you go girl, kick their buts !!!!!!!!

If you are really nice to me I will share my recipes
    1) for a Killer "double IPA" about 8.4% and ..........................................

2) My specialty Official (200 year old sorta recipe) "Scottish Imperial Ale" made for th sone of Lairds who were building and running the Tsars Navy for Hundreds of years.
    Custom roasted and hand cracked with a marble rolling pin, ( regular one for pastry will work fine) and Honey. You have to finish it in secondary fermentation with yeast booster or champagne yeast as required. It runs 12.9% to 14.2 % depending on batch.
    On the last one My wife confiscates everyone's car keys before they can have any ........LOL

I would hope I could get some good wine recipes in exchange my dear lady.

P.S. When are you on the Air next? I have some blues to send you. Do you like Jazz as well?
    NDNs have higher IQs*

*indian quotients.

Way to go Spinner!

Congrats! Can we see the lables?

Quote Originally Posted by ChaseKenyon View Post
    you go girl, kick their buts !!!!!!!!If you are really nice to me I will share my recipes 1) for a Killer "double IPA" about 8.4% and ..........................................2) My specialty Official (200 year old sorta recipe) "Scottish Imperial Ale" made for th sone of Lairds who were building and running the Tsars Navy for Hundreds of years. Custom roasted and hand cracked with a marble rolling pin, ( regular one for pastry will work fine) and Honey. You have to finish it in secondary fermentation with yeast booster or champagne yeast as required. It runs 12.9% to 14.2 % depending on batch.On the last one My wife confiscates everyone's car keys before they can have any ........LOL I would hope I could get some good wine recipes in exchange my dear lady.P.S. When are you on the Air next? I have some blues to send you. Do you like Jazz as well?
    Thanks . It's nice to hear you like to make mead and wine. They are a pleasure to make and a pleasure to sip I'm on the air this Saturday the 27th, from 2106 to 2400 Alaska time. You find it on internet by googling KBBI 890AM, Homer. Yes I like Jazz too and play some Jazzy/Bluesy (fusion) combination stuff like Michelle Willson, Blusiana Hot Sauce etc.. it's very kind of you to send me some music. I look forward to playing some of it on the air.... I'll PM my mailing address to you. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Concordia...41 View Post
    Congrats! Can we see the lables?
    Yes, you can see the lables. The bottles are at the State Fair for a week or so. I have the same bottles in a larger size I can take pictures of their lables and maybe post them tomorrow, after I have produced my Saturday's radio show. First place is my Raspberry wine. Second place is my Strawberry and third is my Blueberry.
    Last edited by Spin_Drift; 08-26-2011 at 04:15 AM. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Way to go Spinner!
    thanks

It's always a pleasure to win a blue ribbon at the State Fair. Congrats!
    A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

Photographer of sailing and sailboats
    And other things, too.
    http://www.landsedgephoto.com

Well done!
    Now....did they know those wines weren't from Alaska?! , or did that matter?
    "And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Nietzsche

Congrats. Your one special person in so many ways.

Wow. Amazing! Well done!

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

Spin..Congrats...A job well done..I'm not sure about the blueberry wine though. I prefer an IPA without the fruity blueberry taste to it. Regardless, my hat is off to you..

A trifecta? Well done and well deserved.... big congratulations from here, you deserve to feel good about this for as long as you like!
    Sometimes you've gotta leave the kibble out where the slow dogs can get some....
    ... Roy Blount, Jr.

Congratulations! When do you open your winery?
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

Quote Originally Posted by elf View Post
    It's always a pleasure to win a blue ribbon at the State Fair. Congrats!
    Thanks Lady Elf. It was such a nice surprise to get all three ribbons in berry wine category. I was told there was about 200 wine enteries. I don't know how many of them were in berry category. They said, it's very unusual that someone entering for the first time, gets three ribbons.....lol...
    Last edited by Spin_Drift; 08-26-2011 at 05:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nanoose View Post
    Well done! Now....did they know those wines weren't from Alaska?! , or did that matter?
    These wines are Alaskan wines! I made them here after I got back from Finland... I had to leave my 451 bottle wine-cellar in Finland.

Quote Originally Posted by Tylerdurden View Post
    Congrats. Your one special person in so many ways.
    Thanks Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Hooke View Post
    Wow. Amazing! Well done!
    Thanks Bruce. People have always liked my wines but I've never entered into any competitions or judging and I was hesitant to do it. Now I'm so happy I did... Sorry, I can't stop grinning.....

Quote Originally Posted by S.V. Airlie View Post
    Spin..Congrats...A job well done..I'm not sure about the blueberry wine though. I prefer an IPA without the fruity blueberry taste to it. Regardless, my hat is off to you..
    Thanks Jamie.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Duke View Post
    A trifecta? Well done and well deserved.... big congratulations from here, you deserve to feel good about this for as long as you like!
    .... Thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by Canoez View Post
    Congratulations! When do you open your winery?
    Thanks, no plans to open one. It would be a wonderful dream but how would I get financing for one?

Great job Spin! I currently have a 6 gallon carboy full of strawberry wine that I started about two months ago. I drew off my first sample last night. It needs more aging and a little tweaking, but should be wonderful in about 6 months to a year. I started a vat of blueberry/grape just the other day and the fermentation is just getting started on that one. In the next few weeks, I'll be starting a rasberry, then a peach, then and apple, then a cherry . . . my goal is to start one batch a month. Eventually I want to have my own brand. Paul thinks I'm nuts, lol.
    Pet photography, the degree you get when you fail aromatherapy - Duck D.

Yikes, a woman that's purty, smart and very nice, sails around,, likes the North country, Is Finnish,A New York Mets Fan, likes hot jazz and now makes award winning wine?.

Your hubby may well have the poifect woman!.

OK I threw in the Mets thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Katherine View Post
    Great job Spin! I currently have a 6 gallon carboy full of strawberry wine that I started about two months ago. I drew off my first sample last night. It needs more aging and a little tweaking, but should be wonderful in about 6 months to a year. I started a vat of blueberry/grape just the other day and the fermentation is just getting started on that one. In the next few weeks, I'll be starting a rasberry, then a peach, then and apple, then a cherry . . . my goal is to start one batch a month. Eventually I want to have my own brand. Paul thinks I'm nuts, lol.
    Thanks Katherine. You are my kind of nut. So happy to see you're making a lot of wines. I have a few pieces of advice: choose the finest quality ingredients. Be patient and age it well (I take about a year before bottling). Rack it several times for clarity and sterilize all your tools right before and right after using them...I'd love to taste some of your wines. I bet they are delicious. ....and Paul, you don't know how lucky you are. Dang, -you got a beautiful, loving wife and SHE MAKES WINE too....

Quote Originally Posted by Spin_Drift View Post
    Thanks, no plans to open one. It would be a wonderful dream but how would I get financing for one?
    Actually, you could consider doing what a local bakery did for fundraising. They sold bread "futures" to finance the installation of the ovens and equipment needed to open the business. These futures entitled the investors to a fairly hefty discount on loaves of bread with punch-cards to keep track of the amount of discounted bread that they were entitled to. They were very successful raising the capital needed to open. The initial investment has been repaid and now they have grown to the point where they need to expand.

How are they capitalizing their expansion?

You guessed it - more bread futures. They sold out of bread futures in a period of 1 month - 2 months ahead of their capitalizing schedule. The advantage of this method is that they didn't have to involve a bank and pay interest on the borrowed capital. Was a win-win for both customers and the owners.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

Quote Originally Posted by bobbys View Post
    Yikes, a woman that's purty, smart and very nice, sails around,, likes the North country, Is Finnish,A New York Mets Fan, likes hot jazz and now makes award winning wine?. Your hubby may well have the poifect woman!. OK I threw in the Mets thing...
    Gosh... Thanks ... I'm blushing with all that praise. Thanks again.

Congrats!
    "I beseech you, in the bowels of Christ, think it possible that you may be mistaken." (stolen from TomF )

Quote Originally Posted by Canoez View Post
    Actually, you could consider doing what a local bakery did for fundraising. They sold bread "futures" to finance the installation of the ovens and equipment needed to open the business. These futures entitled the investors to a fairly hefty discount on loaves of bread with punch-cards to keep track of the amount of discounted bread that they were entitled to. They were very successful raising the capital needed to open. The initial investment has been repaid and now they have grown to the point where they need to expand. How are they capitalizing their expansion? You guessed it - more bread futures. They sold out of bread futures in a period of 1 month - 2 months ahead of their capitalizing schedule. The advantage of this method is that they didn't have to involve a bank and pay interest on the borrowed capital. Was a win-win for both customers and the owners.
    Wow, thanks foe the tip. I've never heard of this..... Winery building and equipment runs into HUGE amount of money. Properties are REALLY expensive in this town. I would like to know more details, please...

Quote Originally Posted by Braam Berrub View Post
    Congrats!
    Thanks

send us all 3 bottles and let us judge for ourselves

Yea Spin! It's always good to have what you've done appreciated by someone else.
    Await dreams, loves, life; | There is always tomorrow. | Until there is not.

Grieving love unsaid. | Tomorrow will fail someday. | Tell them today, OK?

Nice. Now you will want to add to the lable a small ribbon with words to the effect, "Alaska State Fair First Prize"
    Tom

"Leave the gun, take the cannolis"

Good job, Spinner.
    I'm darn proud of you!