Thread: كوسة محشى

Default كوسة محشى

A long time ago, I had a girlfriend from a [highly disfunctional] Lebanese family. The only good thing I got from the relationship was the ability to cook Lebanese food. It's late summer and the kousa -- Lebanese summer squash, not unlike zucchini -- is in. Time for Kousa al Mashi

I'm using some Italian zucchini here, since it looked better than the kousa at the farmer's market:

Kousa al Makshi by Handforged, on Flickr

Kousa al Mashi

[while you're preparing this, remember the Prime Directive of Lebanese cooking: there is no such thing as too much garlic, too much lemon or too much mint.]
    You'll need

• Kousa. Or substitute italian zucchini.
    • ground/mince lamb
    • cinnamon
    • cardamom
    • lemons
    • tomato puree
    • dried spearmint
    • short-grain rice

1. Take your ground/mince lamb. Mix it up with your hands in a bowl, incorporating some tomato juice or pureed tomato, uncooked rice (about 1:4 rice:meat), add in a little salt, a little pepper; and some cinnamon and if you like, a littlel cardamom. When your done, the mixture should be light and fluffy.

2. Cut the stem end off the kousa and core them out. The best tool for this is a squash corer like this one, but a grapefruit spoon works pretty good. The walls of the kousa should be 1/4 to a 1/2 inch thick. Save the cored-out stuff for making fritters.

3. Stuff the cored-out kousa with the meat mixture. Make sure you don't leave any air pockets.

4. Lay your kousa in a baking dish.

5. Make a thin tomato sauce of pureed tomatoes, some lemon juice and if you'd like some finely minced garlic. Pour it over/around the kousa in the dish, so it comes up 1/2 to 3/4 up the side of the kousa, adding salt/pepper to taste.

6. Pop it into a 350 deg F oven for 45 minutes or so. The [i]kousa should be tender; the interior temperature of the stuffing should be c. 150 deg F or so.

7. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with lemon juice and a healthy covering of dried spearmint. If you'd like garnish with some fresh flat-leafed parsley.

Serve it up with pita bread and mint tea.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Default Re: كوسة محشى

That looks and sounds delicious. I'm confused, though. The recipe sounds like you'll be baking one, whole, stuffed squash (or maybe several). The foto shows what looks like 8 chunks of squash - maybe each stuffed (like stuffed tomatoes). Is either acceptable? If so, I've got some good looking summer squash coming on right now that'd probably do well in this dish.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

You use small summer squash -- maybe 5 inches long, tops. Anything bigger starts to get fiberous and a bit woody. The Italian zucchini I used happened to be spherical. True kousa are something like an elongated pear in shape.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

. . . . there is no such thing as too much garlic.
    Say AMEN, brothers and sisters!!

"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Got some pattypans just coming on but wifey don't do lamb. Gonna have to swap in turkey pork or beef - and add more garlic!
    Brute force and ignorance, all in one bulky and unappealing package