Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 10192021 LastLast

Thread: Garden Tom Cat

Default Re: Garden Tom Cat

Thank you gents. These are about 1/4 larger than actual size. Most of the little bit of painting i do is, well, little...:

Also at anchor in Kirwan:

and last, on the way back in the Elk following the wishbone Stonehorse of the group:

I didn't know you painted, Greg! Those are beautiful. I esp. like the one of the single Stone Horse with the purply sky.

Glad to see your sail is almost done. It will be so fun to set it up in the boat and begin to sort the rigging!

Cheers,

Mike
    "near it, a small whale-boat, painted red and blue, the delight of the king's old age."

Thanks Mike, I appreciate it.. The purple sky was a morning where the remnants of Hurricane Allison were passing. We were tuned into NOAA and no threat so we sailed. That picture was of The Morse brothers sailing their Kristen Brit, the oldest and fastest boat in our group but it looks a lot like mine so I pretend it was me and my son. Good days ahead Mike!!

Your art is so very good.
    Last edited by gregleetaylor; 05-05-2018 at 11:19 PM.

Speaking of Stonehorses, I passed by a farmyard the other day where an old Stonehorse hull was set into the ground as part of a family's playground. The kids were running around in the sunshine with one of them climbing the cutdown rig to a crow's nest perched on top. Now there's a devoted father!
    If I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, eventually they would find me attractive.

Some nice playground. I understood, years ago, that most of the hulls were still “afloat”. Nothing lasts forever so lets go sailing!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beautiful paintings Greg. Are you painting outside on site or back at home?

Thank you Ofer. I rarely finish one outside but it's always better to work straight from nature; much better result in the capture. These were all done way after the fact from little photographs.

Jim, The 1/8" MDF is just perfect to get out the pattern for the coamings!!! I've got my building back on the burner!

I have some trial Sea Gold varnish on some floor boards, again, notwithstanding my recent plan to oil them. Most recent negative reading done was how oil had turned black. Reading up on the new water based "wonder" stuff, I'm in for a try. So far I like the ease of prep, application, low or no Violent Oral Comestibles (VOC's) and soap n water cleanup. I'm using the satin finish version. Application on new wood is four coats but you really can get 3 on in a day easy. Pictures of mass board coatings soon.

And here, as best as I have right now is a partial display of the sail. I have had tanbark before of course and really like how easy on your eyes it is on a bright day.

Ollie gets his first look...
    Last edited by gregleetaylor; 05-03-2018 at 09:02 PM. Reason: coaming spelling!

I like your watercolours Greg. Not a bad builder either !

Hello Down Under and thanks a bunch. I wish I could go faster but I'm happy to be able to build one. Much help from the forums; here and the Woodworkers forum in OZ where poster "Dry Water" has done a terrific job documenting his build of the same boat. i will go so far as to say I would never have even tried this build without those who have shared their builds on the WWW! Best to you!

Quote Originally Posted by gregleetaylor View Post
    Jim, The 1/8" MDF is just perfect to get out the pattern for the coamings!!! I've got my building back on the burner!

I have some trial Sea Gold varnish on some floor boards, again, notwithstanding my recent plan to oil them. Most recent negative reading done was how oil had turned black. Reading up on the new water based "wonder" stuff, I'm in for a try. So far I like the ease of prep, application, low or no Violent Oral Comestibles (VOC's) and soap n water cleanup. I'm using the satin finish version. Application on new wood is four coats but you really can get 3 on in a day easy. Pictures of mass board coatings soon.

And here, as best as I have right now is a partial display of the sail. I have had tanbark before of course and really like how easy on your eyes it is on a bright day.

Ollie gets his first look...
    Hi Greg, the sail looks great. It's going to be beautiful on the water. Can you wight your must? I am going with the solid must and it will be interesting to compare the end wight on both.

Hello Ofer, yes, i can weigh it. I'll do it soon before varnish and hardware so as to get the best comparison. Now, where is that bathroom scale?

Finish work takes a loooong time. Here's some progress with the Sea Gold on the fold up seats. These have the specified minimum 4 coats.

Before:

Before and after

and on teak

I'm almost decided on interior color too; more finishing...

Last edited by gregleetaylor; 05-10-2018 at 10:27 PM. Reason: unknown

Hardware arrived, will fit thank goodness

Floor boards with finish finished:

awful color rendition under fluorescent lights! Below, before finish and no pepto a-bysmol color !!! Seats getting finish finished next...

Last edited by gregleetaylor; 05-18-2018 at 12:06 PM.

I've added a through bolt to carry a stainless wire upwards until there's room to attach the throat halyard block

The stainless link is to fasten the throat grommet of the sail

beginning on inset needed to fit the bronze spar end

Under seat storage of support leg

Last edited by gregleetaylor; 06-03-2018 at 09:50 PM. Reason: no finish on leg yet...

looking good Greg, almost there!

Mortises cut for both gaff and boom hardware ends. Drilled and countersunk for oval head wood screws.

Final fitting required...

Very nice!

Nice job! That looks like a scary process...

Looks great

Thanks dudes! should work... Here's the latest from the bench. Bronze cheeks smoothed to save running rigging wear. Bronze bolts cut, sanded down to fit under teak sides which will be epoxied on and shaped. If they break... maybe I'll try again. They have been fun to make and I hope they'll work out. I have one more to figure out; the block that will ride the traveler. I don't have the traveler yet so I'm waiting to see just how I'll make the attachment...

acetone, scratching and G-Flex to help the teak bonding

if you have more to glue up be aggressive over 100% of the bronze checks with something like 60 grit sandpaper, you may find that you didn't tooth these well enough

Only one more to do... just have to see how it goes Jim!

P.S. actually, when i looked closely at the posted picture I realized that the scratching shown was only my first trial. I went back and did scratch up a lot more of the surface area but it was with a rat tail file; not near as good as 60 grit... Nuts and bolts were well covered with goo to fill recesses in teak which was soaked in acetone. Pray for me...
    Last edited by gregleetaylor; 08-01-2018 at 09:57 PM.

Oh, C Chase posted a pic of his D Street Dory that was up at SRR. That your kin aboard?

Oh, C Chase posted a pic of his D Street Dory that was up at SRR. That your kin aboard?
    My brother and nephew, keeping the family flag flying as I was unable to attend
    Last edited by Skegemog; 08-02-2018 at 08:14 PM. Reason: Fat fingers

Only one more to do... just have to see how it goes Jim!

P.S. actually, when i looked closely at the posted picture I realized that the scratching shown was only my first trial. I went back and did scratch up a lot more of the surface area but it was with a rat tail file; not near as good as 60 grit... Nuts and bolts were well covered with goo to fill recesses in teak which was soaked in acetone. Pray for me...
    . You will likely be fine, Teak doesn’t move much and Gflex is pretty tenacious, been using it alot recently in a very technical way with aluminum and it is pretty amazing

Done 'cept the varnish. The two with the large holes in the attachment end are for the sheet. Rope grommets to be made to hang them from the boom. Good luck Greg!

I have weighed the mast (bought a scale to help me lose weight!). Bare wood, nothing attached, 19 pounds.

I think I'll weigh it again when she's all dressed... Plus varnish, bronze mast band at gooseneck and top of mast, stainless gaff saddle, 6 blocks, halyards, lazy jacks...

Gonna guess here at an additional 12 pounds...
    Last edited by gregleetaylor; 08-10-2018 at 10:21 PM. Reason: (no revisions of 12 pounds permitted)

I have weighed the mast (bought a scale to help me lose weight!). Bare wood, nothing attached, 19 pounds.

I think I'll weigh it again when she's all dressed... Plus varnish, bronze mast band at gooseneck and top of mast, stainless gaff saddle, 6 blocks, halyards, lazy jacks...

Gonna guess here at an additional 12 pounds...
    Thanks, Greg, this is a big difference, actually 22%. I wonder if it is only the construction or also the weight of the wood I was working with. My solid mast weight 23.2 pounds.

Ofer

Very interesting! In Garden's book he suggests that a hollow mast might be 1.12 pounds per foot while a solid one, 1.67. Garden doesn't mention Sitka but rather Douglass Fir construction and the hollow mast he calculates at 3.5" diameter v. 3.25" for a solid spar. Hard to figure the variance...

Greg's hollow 1.12 x 16.5 = 18.5 pounds. Actual = 19 pounds(close to Gardens estimate) Ofer's 1.67 x 16.5 = 27.5 pounds. Actual = 23.2 pounds(much lighter(Sitka?) than Garden's estimate.

Hi guys...my Spar is 3.5" Douglas Fir and weights as below...

Mast Hollow w/- 2 coats varnish......11.36kg or 25.04lb
    Mast Band 4 Eye...........................0.311kg or 0.69lb
    Blocks Fixed Eye Single w/- Becket 2off...0.460kg or 1.02lb
    Blocks Fixed Eye Single w/- Becket 2off...0.380kg or 0.82lb
    TOTAL..12.51kg or 27.58lb
    w/- more varnish coats to come plus cordage
    Boom and Gaff are as per my website and awaiting decisions on methodology for sail attachment and gardening completion!! Retirement - who said that was a great thing!!!
    Boom currently... 0.51kg or 1.12lb
    Gaff currently..... 0.22kg or 0.49lb
    Last edited by Dry Water; 08-14-2018 at 06:13 PM.

More interesting! I will go weigh my boom and gaff! They are both unvarnished and both much heavier than yours ... I'm guessing here, my solid Sitka boom will be 7.5 pounds, we will see...

8-18-18 update.

Boom and gaff weighed without bronze spar ends:

Boom is 8.5 pounds
    Gaff is 4.5 pounds
    Last edited by gregleetaylor; 08-18-2018 at 10:24 PM. Reason: add spar weights

4.5 hours of mostly hand sanding in prep for re-painting the interior and really hoping the new color will
    meet my satisfaction. Quite difficult to be re-working so much - next a wash down with some tsp and the first coat... yeah right, first coat...

I like this color, thank goodness! Pix with floorboards layed in after this hardens up a bit...