Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Garden Tom Cat

Default Re: Garden Tom Cat

Yee haaaaaaw, this is just terrific! The first spindle is trimmed to take the seat as it folds down. The multiple kerfs and cross grain chisel out worked perfectly; never would have thought of doing that on this small scale...

Little change to see... finishing up many small details prior swapping over to another coat of epoxy, then primer and then paint. Seat and floor boards will get oiled.

The seats are within two hours of being finished needing the floor boards drilled and fitted with threaded inserts for anchoring.

Last edited by gregleetaylor; 01-29-2017 at 08:59 PM.

There's a hint in the Tom Cat book that Bill Garden built and installed the cabin top on the boat at a later date. Perhaps you might shorten the build time a bit if you followed suit. It would be interesting to see what the boat looks and sails like with an open cockpit.
    Yes, thanks for the reminder and timely too! I have to see about it though:

1) Knowing me as I do, I'm concerned "that would be that" and I'd not return; for better or worse...

2) I plan to be sailing next season, not this one and omitting the cuddy wont get me sailing this season anyway

The idea HAS occurred to me though and I AM tempted ... Thanks RB!

looking shipshape Greg!

Greg, I just had to chime in and say thank you for sharing such a great build. I plan to use northern white cedar also, and I'm lucky enough to have it in even longer lengths and larger sizes. I also plan to avoid using ply if I can avoid it. I'm likely going to only use dynel on the outside for abrasion, and glass on the inside for strength. I'm still stuck in an endless design phase

carry on

Greg,
    Apologies if you have said already, but where are you going to put your floatation? In my Ilur, much of the floatation is in the side benches. I really like the folding-up benches, but I'd sure want floatation for heading a little ways off shore.

I don't think he's gonna need flotation, as this boat will be going directly to the Museum of Modern Art!

Looking great, Greg!

Mike
    "near it, a small whale-boat, painted red and blue, the delight of the king's old age."

Dirc,

Many thanks, the documentation keeps me going sometimes; nice to have as a record... So, you're going to join the few building this tiny cat!? As Garden says, "get started before...."!!! Sounds like you have what you need to get the hull together... she's a little sweetie!

Peter,

Floatation... yes.... well... I HAVE thought about it but it doesnt show up anywhere on my task list! I would like to include it so:

1) Room in stern, bow and some under the floor boards. along the sides too (it's a catboat)

2) Need recommendation on what type (no inflatable plastic please)

3) Need way to figure out how much is good

no offshore work likely but captain error fairly foreseeable

Greg, I love the cat, but so far I'm still drawing something more viking like, with laps and I guess somewhat resembling a folk boat, but wider (like a cat!) and hopefully not as much ballast.
    In fact, if I could get away with no ballast that would be even better... but that road leads to multihull (the other cat?') nonsense. I'm trying to avoid that... but the physicist in me keeps screaming something about math. lol, I sound more of a mess than I am, really

Dirc,

I have drawn a few small boats based on what I liked in looks; small in size but... I would never have the nerve to build one; maybe a canoe or kayak...
    More recently, I've considered a small trimaran for stability in advancing years. The modern lapstrake plywood kits of sail and oar type would be very nice I think.

Garden's Tom Cat appealed to me right away and I will never build another boat as the time and effort are just too large.

I have always liked the look of lapstrake hulls like Coquina. Can you share a drawing or two of what you're thinking? I'm certain there would be much interest here!!
    Last edited by gregleetaylor; 02-08-2017 at 10:59 PM.

If you're familiar with the Molly B cat, by Hanley of 1927... http://www.dhylanboats.com/restorations/molly_b/

Imagine a folkboat had a lovechild with the Hanley cat...
    at least that is the best way to describe it without pics, I'll be sure to post a thread when it's more or less done. The devil is always in the details, just like a good fractal

Going backward now! All "furniture" is removed for finishing and, to ease the the painting of the inside of the hull.

There were many small tasks attended to this past week as needed when about to apply finishes.

The new centerboard cap is mostly done seen here to go with the seating...

and now, I switch to sanding, epoxy sealing, primer and paint. Oiling the seat, floorboards and teak supports then all re-installed.

Next, the deck

Here's Tom! A Garden variety cat (apologies) that I really Like!!!

Details installed. Cut the 1/2" bronze CB pin to final length and dry fit the pin caps. I haven't received my custom order interior paint yet so I've laid out two deck beams and begun cutting dadoes in the sheer clamp for them; pics soon.

Last edited by gregleetaylor; 02-23-2017 at 06:07 PM.

aft deck beam mostly dry fit

looking to see where the transom frame line will fall...

Still waiting on the paint; fwd and aft deck beams dry fit into dadoes and a "bead", of sorts added to sheer clamps and beams

1/2" plywood as a first layer of an upper transom frame. A second layer will go on over top of the plywood that will take screws well and give thickness for the deck to land on...

Breasthook blank, 1 of two pieces of 1" ply, Arrrr

after about 3 hours of fitting,

The second blank is cut also but still needs to be brought down in size a wee bit..

I have a little bit more of the 1" ply so I think I'll make the quarter knees out of it...

The second layer of plywood is fitted now although I can't shape the top until after they're installed and I wont install until the interior paint is done (still waiting)

Here is the fastening piece of the transom frame...

Gluing in port & starboard frames. These wont get in the way of the painting...

Some "sticks" placed to give me an idea of additional supports needed for the deck in the stern area. There will be two hefty quarter knees but the deck pieces will be run largely fore and aft so I'll want another athwartship support I think.

Quite a long time ago, after flipping the hull and leveling her up, I realized I had made an error. I dropped a few of the moulds back in and sure enough, the starboard sheer strake (oak) was installed short of her offset marks. I'll never know for sure how i erred as the marks were correct on the moulds... ...working upside down low to the floor???

Anyway, amidships, the sheer was 5/8" short of the mark and now; right side up i could see the error carried forward and aft, in decreasing amount, to the bow and transom. I decided that the error was not large enough to make much of a difference and I carried on.... until recently. Having fit forward and aft deck beams and the transom frame it became increasingly evident that this error WAS big enough to make a difference. After deciding That a fix was pretty easy now(the presence of the sheer clamp being installed, I have fit a covering board of sorts bringing the sheer up level with the port side.

I have a little bit to go before I take some pictures showing all this but, suffice to say; it is quite satisfying to have made the effort which can clearly be detected by the naked eye before and after. For a "before' look, see the first picture in post #540. The covering board will itself be covered by the deck on the top and the upper rub rail on the outside. The covering board is NOT a dutchman; it's more like a long, low dike from Holland; an extra little leveling bit to keep the water out!
    Last edited by gregleetaylor; 03-18-2017 at 07:51 PM.

Good move correcting that little whoops Greg, now you can move on without your conscience following

Quote Originally Posted by gregleetaylor View Post
    Quite a long time ago, after flipping the hull and leveling her up, I realized I had made an error. I dropped a few of the moulds back in and sure enough, the starboard sheer strake (oak) was installed short of her offset marks. I'll never know for sure how i erred as the marks were correct on the moulds... ...working upside down low to the floor???

Anyway, amidships, the sheer was 5/8" short of the mark and now; right side up i could see the error carried forward and aft, in decreasing amount, to the bow and transom. I decided that the error was not large enough to make much of a difference and I carried on.... until recently. Having fit forward and aft deck beams and the transom frame it became increasingly evident that this error WAS big enough to make a difference. After deciding That a fix was pretty easy now(the presence of the sheer clamp being installed, I have fit a covering board of sorts bringing the sheer up level with the port side.

I have a little bit to go before I take some pictures showing all this but, suffice to say; it is quite satisfying to have made the effort which can clearly be detected by the naked eye before and after. For a "before' look, see the first picture in post #540. The covering board will itself be covered by the deck on the top and the upper rub rail on the outside. The covsering board is NOT a dutchman; it's more like a long, low dike from Holland; an extra little leveling bit to keep the water out!
    Bravo! To err is human, to forgive (and adjust) divine! Carry on!

Wise move! You could have told yourself that you would never see it in the future- but you would have... every time you looked at the boat!

It's the kind of thing that keeps you awake at night until you give in and make it right. It is not a Dutchman, but rather a sheer strake equalizer.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Thanks for sharing that.

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

No, you cant see much of what was done to even things up; yes, the level looks way out too...
    I've lost more time...and I banged myself up trying to keep up with my son this past weekend...

So stop the excuses; where's the progress?

Not wanting to take the pictures I grabbed one leaving the shop. The unequal sheer height and upper transom frame have been fixed and are quite satisfying. Its almost done and cost little in material but about 12 hours of rework.

I have patterned and cut the port side quarter knee and risked a Horror Fright power planer to take down the transom... fingers crossed; so far so good.

I HAVE done the planning for materials and methods for deck, combing and the spars. Good photos of the "fix"; and some addition of longitudinal deck support (carlins?) at the stern next, probably...

Can you tell? I can... before on the left; after on the right...

Below, the correction tapering to the bow... The varnish was damaged in several places...

5/8" at thickest:

Built up the transom frame too:

New bead cut into cut down sheer clamp:

Last edited by gregleetaylor; 04-04-2017 at 09:16 PM. Reason: add picture

nice work! You will never regret putting the time in to adjust your sheer. What is your plan for finishing the new material?

Real glad I did; took about 15 hours.

I was going to cover the deck edge and the new material with the rubrail of Oak. The deck will be 3/8" ply...

I did think about the need to have a strong joining here...???
    Last edited by gregleetaylor; 04-05-2017 at 08:38 AM. Reason: clarity

I did think about the need to have a strong joining here...???
    Do you mean between the shim and sheerstrake or between deck and shim or all three and rubrail? That's why Herreshoff used the famous moulded sheerstrake, to add extra beef where all that stuff comes together or so I have been told. Will take some thought to find the optimal way to integrate that shim, are the decks going to be painted?

All three, yes. The deck will be Dynel covered and painted by plan...

The only thought I've had was putting a strip of glass along the top of the shim. It was Cabosil thickened epoxied to the top o' the sheer and sheer clamp. Thanks for chiming in here Jim!

The only thought I've had was putting a strip of glass along the top of the shim.
    I doubt you need that, I would be thinking about a profile for the rub rail that might diverge from the drawings if necessary to further minimize the visual clues of the variation between port and starboard, a shadow line/ lines will help. A rub rail profile with a step or two will allow you to distribute the taper across a few of discrete elements in such a way to visually hide the taper and preserve the visual impact and symmetry of your lovely sheer strakes.
    Last edited by Skegemog; 04-06-2017 at 10:59 AM.

Good job on fixing it. Fixing our errors is probably 25% of the time we spend on building (at least for me). Finding the error, embracing it and decide to solve it is probably the hardest part.

Ofer et al,

...many metaphors for life have I found in this little boat... challenging in many ways and rewarding as we face them. I think we all find the same in these endeavors. I don't like to show my mistakes however I have come to see great value in accepting them and continuing on, best as I can.

Jim,

Here's as far as my thinking goes right now... The strakes are book matched as you know so the outside profile are now different with the stb. shim.

The strakes taper from 4" at the max beam to 3 1/2 at the stern and 3" at the bow. Underneath the oak are the wenge strips that also taper fore and aft.

The rubrail on the drawing was simply a cap profile covering 3/8" deck carrying an inch down.

I was planning dual rubrails; at the deck and above the wenge; both to taper fore and aft.

For a profile I'm thinking an equal leg trapezoid with a 1" base and about 1" depth; maybe a brass half oval on the top...

...perhaps make a slightly smaller rail for above the wenge

I'm intrigued by your suggestion of a stepped profile but not following exactly... got sketch?
    Last edited by gregleetaylor; 04-25-2017 at 08:51 PM. Reason: as many errors writing as sawing...

Ofer et al,

I'm intrigued by your suggestion of a stepped profile but not following exactly... got sketch?
    The trapezoid idea with brass half oval is on the right track, not so sure I would want to go with the lower rubrail; it will greatly diminish the clean transition you have from paint to wenge to oak and screw up your crisp stem, I'd hate for you to lose that if it can be avoided. it may just be a matter of including a cavetto or scape profile under the projection of the rub rail.

I was looking for my copy of this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0393732339/ref=rdr_ext_tmb has some good thoughts on how moldings guide the eye and how to use concave and convex shapes together. Couldn't find it at the shop, must be in my office at home. I'll look for it over the weekend.

No pictures.... Probably tomorrow night. I have been bogged down in a few ways but the little catboat has called me back.

recent hours spent inside hull sanding, vacuuming, alchy wipe downs and the first of two epoxy sealing coats. Then two primer and then two paint coats. Then, I can get those deck supports in...

Yes pictures. Three separate days to do this first epoxy, pre-painting seal... used small, 1" rollers and 2" brushes, not too bad that way, nuther coat to go...