Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71617

Thread: Garden Tom Cat

Default Re: Garden Tom Cat

Keep at it Greg - it all comes home to roost ...eventually...and you'll love it!!! 'cause I love it!!!

Avert your eyes... Here she is after two coats of sealing epoxy and 1 coat of gray primer, sanded back.

Two things:

It should have been obvious but coating and sanding all those surfaces is difficult! and...
    it's a good thing that the level of finish that's happening here will be mostly hidden from view!!!

The gray was purchased about a year ago and was the wrong call. Worse, the contents were damn near solid in the can. After 50 minutes of working it I had paint again so I used it.

The the second, and hopefully final primer coat, "until uniform and even" is white...

The final interior color is... wait for it...

... not available.
    Last edited by gregleetaylor; 05-02-2017 at 08:10 PM. Reason: 1st of x

Yes! Painting the interior is difficult. When I did mine, I wasn't very happy with the results, but after all the furniture was installed and the boat was is use- I really didn't see the flaws anymore.

Thanks Kent and coming from you, I think the work is coming along just fine! I get lost in the forest; much better at sea...

My usual "kick in the pants" is; "the boat isn't going to build itself"... but I give her ample opportunities...

Whew! I thought the interior color was going to be the lime green of painter's tape. A little different that the lovely outside color scheme.

Kent is right. I always think about those guys (usually fishermen) who just paint their boats on the beach. A few grains of sand and a bug or two don't bother them!

Looking great, as per.

Mike
    "near it, a small whale-boat, painted red and blue, the delight of the king's old age."

Artist that you are Mike, the green IS unacceptable!!! However, I did have some trouble with the final color and only the application and match up with the oiled seats and teak will tell... the prep work is right there with baseball season...

runs, drips and errors!

Back in Post #523, rbgarr reminded me that this boat could be built with or without the small cuddy.

It was my intention to build the cuddy version as catboats usually have them; they look good...

Last evening I tried to think ahead to docking. The forward cleat/s cannot be reached without going on deck. I am now thinking that this 12'4" boat is still good looking and more easily used as an open boat. If I decide later; it would be an easy matter to add the cuddy...

A quick thanks to Mr. Garden, Alex Low & RB for their thoughtfulness. Now where will I hang those halyards...

P.S. sanding and painting...

Personally I'd go without the cuddy but would bring the foredeck back to the centerboard trunk like the Beetle does. That way you've got a nice flat deck to walk on as needed, though for most docking and mooring I'd still work her from the cockpit. Can't stow much under, even with the cuddy, anyway.

Thank's Ian. Looking forward to some pics of your Golden Ball; liked seeing the vid of her launching!

Here's some of my thinking.

As a decidedly , "high freeboard beetle", Betsy n I will do well to stand inside the near-mast combing, to reach and cleat the bow lines at the dock. I imagined stepping up off the seat crouching along the too narrow deck, throwing off the balance; boat and body, taking a swim or worse. Easy decision really. The cuddy now only seems like a nuisance. I couldn't crouch behind it or fit a spray dodger... Without it, I can really have some freedom to board and move about with crew, safe, easy and multiple seating options open up with storage access greatly improved.

More specifically:

I'll switch the slotted centerboard cap to solid cap adding lead to the centerboard and a short pennant for an uphaul. It also removes the down haul tackle which ran forward to the mast and back as drawn. This also eliminates a piece of hold down tackle (bungie) rigged to keep the floating board down when on the wind. This yields an unobstructed bench seat and free movement on flat floorboards all around the boat.

Forumsfolk, speak now before I cut the centerboard lever off...
    Last edited by gregleetaylor; 05-07-2017 at 07:56 PM. Reason: r

Quote Originally Posted by gregleetaylor View Post

Forumsfolk, speak now before I cut the centeboard lever off...
    Slash away and don't look back!

I like the simplicity of a pennant to a weighted board. I like the covered CB box for dry comfort.

Two thoughts:

Have an extra hole for the #^@* stick and a reinforce part on the centerboard to match. You'll be letting her ground out and getting grit in the trunk that keeps the board from swinging down on its own.

and

Maybe a small pump - simple plunger lift is easily made of wood - on each side of the CB box with the outlet into the CB box near the top.

G'luck

Sorry Greg, you don't get my vote on this one. Bill commenced with the boat open as you suggest but later added the Coach Roof so there must have been a very good reason for that.

Quote Originally Posted by gregleetaylor View Post
    As a decidedly , "high freeboard beetle", Betsy n I will do well to stand inside the near-mast combing, to reach and cleat the bow lines at the dock. I imagined stepping up off the seat crouching along the too narrow deck, throwing off the balance; boat and body, taking a swim or worse. Easy decision really. The cuddy now only seems like a nuisance. I couldn't crouch behind it or fit a spray dodger... Without it, I can really have some freedom to board and move about with crew, safe, easy and multiple seating options open up with storage access greatly improved.

I had a Beetle when I was a young almost-teenager and could clamber about on the deck, around the mast, etc. when docking or mooring. One evening my Mom and Dad decided to go out for an evening sail. As the wind died to a calm they headed home for dinner. Rounding up to the mooring my Mom climbed up on deck to grab the mooring buoy... and got swept overboard by the boom. My Dad scrambled forward... and the same happened to him as his weight heeled the boat toward his side. There they were swimming alongside, holding the mooring buoy with one hand and the boat with the other, laughing to beat the band. Fortunately the water was only about four feet deep, so they wrapped the mooring splice around the bow cleat, walked ashore and home while I swam out to put the boat away. I'll never forget it. If only we had smartphone videos back then.
    "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."

-Mark Twain

loooong hiatus...

What is pictured here?:

not caviar...

with my decision to build this leetle cat as an "open" boat came quite a few centerboard changes...

got it now?

...so, a new centerboard cap without a slot in the top was made. Excepting a ratchet block at the very aft end, the cap will be available for sitting, perhaps for the kiddies.

Yes, that interior color is very close to what i'm using! The red swatch is the deck and waterline color. seat and floorboard getting D1 Deks oil. Forward lies a copper elbow very soon to become part of the bilge pump exhaust pipe being prepped. I MAY have gotten side tracked from completing the interior painting...

without the lever arm of the centerboard sticking up through the case, I have to have another way to raise it...

Here you see the new underside of the centerboard cap:

These oak pieces provide the cleats for fastening the cap down. They also house the pulley that feeds the centerboard pennant up from the board and aft through the tail log of the case (next step).

The pulley required a clearance notch to be cut out of the aft edge of the centerboard. Neither the notch nor the pennant knotting hole protrude beyond the bottom of the case when the board is fully lowered. The notch is the trapezoid at the upper right of the picture, beneath which is a hole to contain the stopper knot in the centerboard pennant.

and below that we see the package of caviar which weighs 10 pounds to be certain the board drops easily to the lowest position when released. Purchased from a shooter's supply, labelled "chilled shot" and poured/mixed with epoxy last night. Some touch up filling required... happy boating!

I'll be curious to see how that goes. I put about that amount of lead (also shot/epoxy) in my Alaska's centerboard, and it doesn't seem any too heavy. The board sinks, but not all that quickly, or with much authority--not really sure how far it's sinking, either. Maybe that's because I'm used to an unweighted board with a handle to shove it down, though.

Your boat looks great--any idea on when you will be ready to launch?

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

Jagular Goes Everywhere: (mis)Adventures in a $300 Sailboat. Book release November 2014.

Ian,

yep, small pump and a pennant. going without the hole to free jams... for now.

Laurie,

I am still a bit surprised at myself for moving away from the cuddy! I am a sucker for looks and I think the cuddy looks right! Related, I note that even as I am years down the road on this build, I am thankful that I still like this design!! I DO hope we will always like sailing this wee kitty...

Jim,

Slashed! Onwards!

RBGARR,

Thanks for the great story! I can see me going over the side but I could only hope to be laughing afterward..

Tom,

The 10 pounds is a Scientifc Wild Ass Guess. I looked at maybe two plans that included lead board weighting and went with the 10#. My board is small; 17" by 37" at the longest. OH! Launching about 1 year out now...

Thanks all!
    Last edited by gregleetaylor; 06-29-2017 at 05:19 PM. Reason: Answer Tom's question

nice looking pennant turning block setup Greg! It's just begging for two countersunk screws through the cheeks on either side of the axle to insure that they never split off

Consider them sunken Jim and thanks again!

Plumbing:

Hole drilled for bilge pump exhaust

Steamboat? that's the strum box (guitar), black box intaker:

Clamping adventures trying to get a good solder job; yet another new task:

good results:

installed, MUCH harder than I thought of course...

Last edited by gregleetaylor; 07-20-2017 at 09:19 PM. Reason: standard error fixin'

"This is my boat now..." says Ollie

Last edited by gregleetaylor; 07-23-2017 at 11:00 PM. Reason: add 2nd picture

Ha! Looking good, Greg Lee!

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Well, it is a catboat, after all. Looks great.

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

Jagular Goes Everywhere: (mis)Adventures in a $300 Sailboat. Book release November 2014.