Page 32 of 33 FirstFirst ... 22313233 LastLast
Results 1,086 to 1,120 of 1152

Thread: Garden Tom Cat

Default Re: Garden Tom Cat

Yep!!! Now I've a boat box to build!. No, not a galley box although, that is on the list too.

The boat box is for delivery of the beam ends boat down the hall on a Jimsled hitched to a team of shanghaied strongdoods. Once ex-housed, an un-boxing will ensue followed by a trailering and mushing up a rather steep but short incline. I do believe we'll employ more help asking two to "come-a-long pulling" the trailer and freed dingy to a proper hitching post.

Not a launching as yet however I do feel a celebration and thank you for the shanghaied mushing strongdoods will be part of the event. May the 4th (March the 20th) be with us!
    Last edited by gregleetaylor; 02-08-2021 at 07:26 PM.

Planning for boat box underway but a gratifying tape pull a few minutes ago. I like this color...goes well with varnished oak...rudder needs second coat.

Yes, boot stripe to match after boat up on trailer...
    Last edited by gregleetaylor; 02-11-2021 at 12:18 PM. Reason: forgetfulness

That is looking sharp!

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

Oooo the famous Jagular checks in? Can I order a signed copy please? Nevermind, Ordering from your site...

Thanks Tom, Love your travel postings!!!
    Last edited by gregleetaylor; 02-11-2021 at 02:34 PM. Reason: Order Jag goes everywhere?

Quote Originally Posted by gregleetaylor View Post
    Planning for boat box underway but a gratifying tape pull a few minutes ago. I like this color...goes well with varnished oak...rudder needs second coat.

Yes, boot stripe to match after boat up on trailer...
    looks great, not sure you need to change boot stripe color, maybe time to go sailing?

Oooo the famous Jagular checks in? Can I order a signed copy please? Nevermind, Ordering from your site...

Thanks Tom, Love your travel postings!!!
    Oh, I've been watching this thread for a long time now--don't remember if I've posted before. I appreciate the kind words!

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

man, Jim,

...wuz juss thinkin' same thing on both counts! Leave it for now and finish sailing prep. I have asssembled and tested a galley, the much wanted box not needed for first TSCA trip. I'm currently assembling the camp necessities. I would like another consult on your pantry items before Jane's Island if you're willin'.

Tom! Thanks,

Sent you another book order. I'm FINALLY going to sail and cruise! Yeeee and Haaaaa!
    Last edited by gregleetaylor; 02-11-2021 at 04:25 PM.

Well, if you read my book, you should learn a lot about what NOT to do...

Tom

www.tompamperin.com

The interior is vacuumed and empty of all removeables. Wee cat lifted off the building cradle, resting on jack stands at the moment. The cradle will be pulled out and replaced by the moving the boat box.

Here is a sketch of the Jimsled, end view. There will be no room to put dollies under the boat and still clear the slider door aperture so... Ultra High Molecular Weight plastic will be affixed under a 3/4" sled of plywood and strong people will mush the fat, heavy cat out the basement door and into the sunlight.

oar at least, that's the plan...
    Last edited by gregleetaylor; 02-14-2021 at 08:27 AM. Reason: rquired on all my posts, even after proof reading

The interior is vacuumed and empty of all removeables. Wee cat lifted off the building cradle, resting on jack stands at the moment. The cradle will be pulled out and replaced by the moving the boat box.

Here is a sketch of the Jimsled, end view. There will be no room to put dollies under the boat and still clear the slider door aperture so... Ultra High Molecular Weight plastic will be affixed under a 3/4" sled of plywood and strong people will mush the fat, heavy cat out the basement door and into the sunlight.

oar at least, that's the plan...

put a continuous skid on left side (bottom of boat) of the sled from stem to stern, some hard 1 x or something (trex?) that can ride across door stop if sled wants to lean

She's just lovely, Greg, so catboaty, so sharp! The diminishing of the sheer strake in that picture looks perfect. Well done!

Now, couldn't you just put some one inch pipe rollers under that cradle? Easier than sliding.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ledger View Post
    She's just lovely, Greg, so catboaty, so sharp! The diminishing of the sheer strake in that picture looks perfect. Well done!

Now, couldn't you just put some one inch pipe rollers under that cradle? Easier than sliding.

Jim
    Just be careful she doesnít roll away! Haha. We always use rollers. When you place them on an angle, you can even turn corners!

Arthur,

Yep! gotcha, Trex will just fit and good idea. So so far, so good!

Ledger,

Thanks much for kind words. As all builders know, we have to rely on the architecht's lines and wait for a good out come when the boat comes out!

You take me back! In my 20's, I worked for a tiny operation in south rural Delaware (had three boats a-building at the time) and the 42' aluminum schooner was in the big shed. When she was pulled out, we used small pipes on planks and towed her out behind a old, small farm tractor.

In my case I m i g h t have room for 1" pipes, maybe. The door is 6'4" the beam is 6' 1" so add 3/4" ply and some padding under the beam and I'm right at my limit. We'll see...

Mr Rob,

There is a decline we'll have to manage as the boat exits the house so no roll away pipes in use there! but corners? Yessir! That aluminum boat came out of the shed and made a 90 left turn (on the pipes) to where the crane could flatbed her. I was lucky enough to sail aboard her with the builder and her owner out the Chesapeake and up to Newport. There were a few details that needed to be finished along the way...
    Last edited by gregleetaylor; 02-14-2021 at 07:34 PM. Reason: usual missfires

Building cradle gone, centerboard slot cleaned up. Foiling arms and rudder go on next...

...will be nice to give another view when out in the air! On with the moving boxing...

Basement exit containing sled under way. This assembly is the main support holding the boat vertical. There is a 2" external keel running the lenth of the boat. The 1 1/2" end face of five 2 x 4's butt up against this keel. Two webbing straps pull this assembly tight against the boat through the centerboard slot (picture next time).

Placement of 3/4" ply. This will be the base on which the entire assembly will ride down the hall and out the door. Padding along upper topsides for the middle 5' of boat to be added along with structural supports. I'll have enough overhead clearance to roll the boat on this base down the hall but we'll probably have to slide it over the door threshold on the UHMW skid i will be applying to the bottom of the base.

For fun, here is a picture upended for the verticle position concept...

Last edited by gregleetaylor; 03-01-2021 at 11:35 PM. Reason: trimming

this looks like it will work

I think so, yes, confidence growing each day. UHMW skids arrived yesterday and test slick.
    Now i'll need to bring my spars to you for varnish work...
    Last edited by gregleetaylor; 03-03-2021 at 01:41 PM. Reason: kiddin' ya

Hi Greg...You mentioned you were going to attach the rudder for the move - this indicates that itís a permanently attached part. Is that right?

Hi there Laurie!!

I must have miss-typed, "attach" should have been detached!

It's still a go, weather permitting but, as you well know, there are 1000 things to do before launch. Witch, by the way, is not far afterward as I am firming up plans to sail with a buncha like minded fellows in early May. Im expecting half a dozen or so boat movers and a pile of equipment. Men can't have babies so we birth boats. This one needs special delivery!!! Shall we agree to launch on the same day, anitpodeans that we are?

Anyway, best to you!

Can't wait to see her in her element!

Will she have a name? I wish I had named my Ilur "The Mystery Machine!"

Good luck with the move!

Mike

OK, I'll bite, why Mystery Machine?

Thanks for your good wishes Mike. It will be a challenge and VERY tight clearance!

"She" will be named J'Ollie, a family contraction name with a double meaning after jolly boat and literally, a small, fun boat!

And "Jolie" means "pretty one" in French! Quite apropos!

Yes, there's that. I suggested that very name but it got vetoed as too close to some unliked movie star. I much prefer the soft "J" sound...

I've been away from the forum for a while Greg - she is beautiful! Nice work.

Kent! Thanks! How is Venture!

We have a group of cruising traditional sailors (TSCA ) and I'm just getting started with them. Early May, 3 day trip (8 boats, float planned) out of Jane's Island in Crisfield MD. This one organized by a gent from Kutztown sailing a Caledonia. Your Myst would fit right in I think. If interested, PM me. This goes for you too Wox!

Now all I have to do is launch!!!
    Last edited by gregleetaylor; 03-06-2021 at 10:20 PM. Reason: TCSA to TSCA

Didn't quite finish the boat sled due to losing Saturday unexpectedly. Anyway, here is one shot showing the Black slidey surface. Left to do are compression struts from the sled to under the deck. current measurement shows 1" clear at the top of the door at the closest and 1" each side of the door, again at the closest. Yes, I am nervous! It's gonna be a push to be ready but I am hoping it will work out. I have outstanding helpers arriving one of which can probably remove the door entirely if needed.

Mate! I'm not envying you one bit!!!

Greetings OZ Laurie! You have the situation summed up nicely!

I am really pushing hard to get this done and quite a bit nervous but here is tonight's progress.

The little fat kitty is snug in her travelling crate ready to be gently rolled over on her side. The rollers are placed merely for representation that once heeled over ( hopefully the first and last time this far) she will be upon rollers. The crate will be maneuvered out of the shop and make a 90 left. Then down the all 15'. Next a 45 bear left across the basement to the sliding door... At the sliding door we can no longer use the rollers and the skid comes into play as she is push-dragged in the most controlled manner across the threshold and down a ramp of ply to the sun. (believing any of this?)

Here you can see two straps which help to hold the boat firmly in the cradle. The two supports askew are to provide support to the hull in opposition to the weight of her being on her side

Stern view shows the centerboard slot use. Two tension straps go around the cradle underneath at the slot and circle back up around the beam resting on top of the case

Here you see two 2 x 4's left long as part of the cradle that enables the crew some leverage to get her started on her way on end. I think it will take 4 or 5 of us to do this. I will have to cut them short once the this part is done. So how will we lay here back down? Gently.
    Did I mention the clearance is TIGHT? This, Saturday high noon, weather forecast a go, volunteers on board, prayers please.

Last edited by gregleetaylor; 03-15-2021 at 10:23 PM. Reason: Tailoring

Greg - how about some plywood corners screwed to the 2x4's same as your strapping is doing. it would stiffen it up a lot.

I'm praying for a safe passage for you.

I had the same thought about plywood gussets at the corners--probably worth it.

But it all looks good to me. My prediction is that, after all the anticipation and prep, the actual event will run so smoothly that you'll soon forget why you were every worried about it. Good luck!

Tom

www.tompamperin.com

TIMO & TOM!

Will do! I was hoping for some suggestions and I am happy to take your encouragement as well, thanks a bunch!
    Last edited by gregleetaylor; 03-16-2021 at 03:45 PM.

Gussets were added, crew plus 1showed, problems swiftly over come and... vi ola!

Pile of pics coming as soon as I move'em offa the SD card... Was a GREAT day!!!

Congratulations! A great moment for sure.

Tom

www.tompamperin.com

Right you are Tom! The crew (pix coming soon) had this so well in hand, most of what I did was laugh at how well things were going. From start to driveway in less than 1 hour!! No injuries, no scratches on boat or house and some damn fine on the fly problem solving!!! On to the finishing steps, and there are a pile of them over the new few weeks...
    Last edited by gregleetaylor; 03-20-2021 at 09:47 PM.

Looks fantastic out of the sun and on the trailer!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything"

Roosevelt, Theodore