Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 19282930 LastLast
Results 981 to 1,015 of 1024

Thread: Garden Tom Cat

Default Re: Garden Tom Cat

You don't have to polish the brass. Filing the screw heads flush will result in the brass being filed as well. These file marks disappear eventually, provided you're using a file that isn't too coarse. As with many chores, the first few take a long time but with repetition you get faster. I like to use this kind of thing as "filler" work, picking up the file and doing a half dozen as a way to take a break from a more demanding task.

Here's how mine looked after filing. The file I used produced a pretty smooth cut. After a year it's all blended in.

Thanks for this, just have to check my files to be certain of the cut and yes, I will have to break from this task quite a few times...

Senchu a PM, (stamped with a trident)
    Last edited by gregleetaylor; 08-03-2020 at 11:45 AM. Reason: P.S.

Boom crutch blanks cut out and first trial in place. Used 1/8" masonite for some patterns and wound up reversing the planned orientation which seems to look and work better. Next I'll shape chocks for the legs to epoxy to the hull.

Pencil approximates cut-out to take the boom

Last edited by gregleetaylor; 08-06-2020 at 09:09 PM.

Me being me , I’d be a bit concerned about point loading the inside of hull Greg. Could you not put a beam under your seat bearers?

Happy to have the input Andrew. I was planning to distribute the load into chocks 4 - 5 " in length and 3' wide. Slots cut into the seats (reinforcement under the seats) are planned to locate the crutch and provide free standing until the boom lands in the crutch.

I'm not sure what you are suggesting. I think you are saying land the legs on a beam that runs under the seat? Perhaps I'll run fore and aft stringers between the frames to even out the load. Got me thinkin' Andrew... Thanks!
    Last edited by gregleetaylor; 08-06-2020 at 10:37 PM. Reason: Tailoring

Greg, I was thinking the crutch is for holding spars for road transport and I was concerned about the internal hammering of that weight on inside of hull. I would feel better if load was distributed onto other members with multiple points but whether those members in turn are strong enough?

Ah, yep, I see. Crutch is for setting up and taking down when sailing, also for boom tent in case of overnight. I will be making the traveling crutches very soon!!! The after support will ride on the stern deck and the forward one will take the place of the mast... Cheers!
    Last edited by gregleetaylor; 08-07-2020 at 12:08 PM.

I’m still having fun watching you work!
    Steamboat

I get by with the judicious use of serendipity.

Thanks Tom! ... work seems endless for the final details! ...really like the colors you've got on SS Sandy!

I just figured out today that my boom crutch, while useful for storage with a cover on for mooring or slip, is really not at all what I want for setting and furling sail so... I've started making a "furling pole" that is set to the starboard quarter to take the boom, sail and gaff such that they are held more or less level when untying and raising or taking in and tying up sail and gaff. ...quick to make and far more practical to use and store than the siccors rig for boom tenting (which will continue to be made along with the furler). Pictures this coming week. All the brass rub rail is on and I have started the final step to countersink, seal and file down the screw heads!!!

...cut out the blank for the furling pole. MUCH lower for the daysailing task than the rain cover, boom tent crutch now lounging in the cockpit...

Here seen in approximate service location. The staff will become round(ish) and rest in a chock with a shallow mortice. It will of course be angled toward the mast when loaded.

Comments now please while I only have 2 hours in on this...

That’s a great idea putting it off-centre I’ll have to remember that.
    I spose you’re going to make a lop-sided boom tent for it??

Andrew, this is such a small boat compared to my 18' catboat that i knew furling off-center would allow me to stand in cockpit center and handle everything about waist height. I MAY make a boom tent for it but none is planned.

Here is the crutch test fitting boom. Flying Nun leather piece for look at finished fit...

Mostly done shaping, making chock next

Hello GLT,
    The "Flying Nun" reference MADE me look....1967!
    I've enjoyed following along.
    You've built such a pretty boat.
    Regards,
    Alan

Hello there Alan! Yes, I give away my vintage on Flying Nun. We used to have a record album also called the Singing Nun I think... Anyway... thanks for following! It's inspirational (and I need it, generally) to get the feedback...

Hey Greg..great work! Can you clarify the screws used in the rub rail? Dome head or flat head? Before I progress with mine I’d like to confirm the best to use.

>>>> Here I am 6 hours later with some further experimentation done and have decided to follow Jim's process with standard CS wood screws in lieu of the Dome heads. Just need to buy them!!!
    Last edited by Dry Water; 08-14-2020 at 11:46 PM.

Sure Laurie,

Following Mr. Ledger's advice I used Bronze screws as stronger than brass and they're slotted oval head screws. I used wee #4 screws 1/2" long for my smaller 3/8" brass. I would go up to #6 screws for your 1/2" brass. These are countersunk to the widest diameter of the head. I have bedded the screws and clocked the slot in line with the length of the rubrail and then taken a fine file to bring the top of the screw down perfectly flush with the rubrail. This is shown in Jim Ledger's post #981 above. Mine look the same, so far. It is a very neat application.

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Water View Post
    Hey Greg..great work! Can you clarify the screws used in the rub rail? Dome head or flat head? Before I progress with mine I’d like to confirm the best to use.

>>>> Here I am 6 hours later with some further experimentation done and have decided to follow Jim's process with standard CS wood screws in lieu of the Dome heads. Just need to buy them!!!

dunno if you know this mob Laurie, helpful and I’m pretty sure they have oval head bronze

bronzeandbrassfasteners.com.au

No worries Andrew, these are my “go to mob” for almost every fastening on my boat! As mentioned elsewhere I’m going with standard CS flat heads. Less filing required!

Need some steering here please... How to I attach the leather to the crutch? I have ordered copper tacks and I suppose I can wrap the leather around corners and tack it down. Could I glue it into the crutch in just the "U" area? Also, what do I do to the leather to keep it in good condition?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by gregleetaylor View Post
    Need some steering here please... How to I attach the leather to the crutch? I have ordered copper tacks and I suppose I can wrap the leather around corners and tack it down. Could I glue it into the crutch in just the "U" area? Also, what do I do to the leather to keep it in good condition?

Thanks!
    Glue and tack. Use tallow for the leather.

Gidday Greg,

You are doing a fantastic job on that creation of yours.I have great admiration for your patience and skill.

Dubbin is great for conditioning leather.It is a combination of oil,natural wax and tallow.Been around for many years.

I did not use any glue when attaching the leather to the boom crutch, just tacks.This was to make removal and replacement easier if the leather became damaged or worn.
    The crutch is under a cover most of the time when berthed. The leather has been on for 6 years now and has shrunk a little but now looks more snug and is in great condition.
    Photo below is when it was newly done.The crutch is made of teak.
    FullSizeRender (40).jpg
    The spanner shaped head of the crutch you have made will give you options to be creative with the leather work.
    A man of your skills will deal with that little exercise no problem I'm sure.

Keep up the great work.

Cheers,Mike.

Latigo leather, will withstand what ever you throw at it, freshen it up with neatsfoot oil as needed. Cut it to size and glue in place with thickened epoxy. If you use tacks you are begging for varnish failure

Hi Greg, did you had a chance to check in what way the Boom crutch will limit your tiller movement? The solution that I used works great so far and is not limiting the tiller in any way.

Ofer, I had to quickly check as I didn't consider the tiller swing! The position of the furling pole is 1" outboard of the tiller swing limit. Nice to be so fortunate!

Jim, Being able to epoxy is what i was hoping for. This will simplify installation a lot and it will look cleaner as well. I'll install the leather in 5 places i know of so far:

1 in the furling pole, 1 in the forward traveling crutch and 1 in the aft traveling crutch and 2 in the siccors boom tent crutch with one in the forward leg and one in the after leg!

Mike, thanks very much for your kind words! Patience a vertue? ... a requirement for me as when i move faster a make yet another mistake!

Hugh, thanks for jumping in on this! I do like the look of tacks and leather and we see it alot! I was getting ready to go this way but I am really happy just to glue them in. I can make nice neat fits this way and if ever needing replacement, a bit of heat and careful scraping will make ready for the new!

I'm currently building the traveling crutches. Forward will be birds mouth as I have materials and will mount the boom mast band on it to find the positioning of the sheet blocks, sail foot grommets and reefing gear to be certain of avoiding the furling pole. Once thats done, I'll remove the mast band and fit the forward traveling crutch...
    Last edited by gregleetaylor; 08-17-2020 at 10:38 PM.

Quickly milled up and clamped up the forward travel post for use in the mast step to carry the mast, boom, sail and gaff while on trailer. ... not looking forward to rounding this post but it's nothing compared to the work that went into the mast!!!

Last edited by gregleetaylor; 08-17-2020 at 10:48 PM. Reason: usual sloppiness

Forward traveling spar crutch rounded and in place to allow the boom to be measured for sheet block and reefing rigging placement while resting in the boom crutch.

... just balanced at this point but moving forward

Looking good, Greg! That coaming angle is going to be easy on the back.

I like the mast bands and boom fitting, they seem somehow familiar. I'm puzzled as to how the fitting will accommodate the upward lift of the boom. Is there a part I'm missing?

Jim

Thank you Jim and let's hope so for the coaming... The mast bands are the result of another little error on my part. The bird's mouth crutch was SUPPOSED to be the same diameter of the mast but I guessed at my stave measurment (3/4 x 1 1/2") and it should have been about 3/4 x 1 3/8" to give me a diameter of 3 1/2" as is the mast. So... i'm keeping my 3 3/4" diameter crutch but, as you can see, my real mast bands (3 1/2") dont fit the crutch as planned for the boom mock up. Not to be deterred, stainless bands hold a dowel vertically and on that dowel rides the bronze toggle that forms the real gooseneck allowing boom rise. It's just peeking out attached to the boom fitting...
    Last edited by gregleetaylor; 08-20-2020 at 02:12 PM. Reason: Tailoring & more Tayloring

Forward trailering crutch tenon for mast step...

test of fit:

I DID NOT keep my too big, 3 3/4+" trailer crutch! I shaved it down to the mast diameter in order to help make a mast collar and fit the wedges. The collar is a realization that I don't want rain just running down the mast. The collar will hold the wedges out of the boat when loose and provide a surface to clamp the boot to. In the mean time, here's a shot with the mast band attached; returning to the finish of the furling crutch...

Last edited by gregleetaylor; 08-26-2020 at 06:31 AM. Reason: Tailoring

You know what the chain hoists are doing on the floor now don'tcha? That's right, she's not leaving the basement until Spring...

Hello Greg,

Such lovely lines and shapes on display in those last two photos!!!

I'd think you have to be very pleased!!!

Regards,
    Alan

Thanks much Alan, I am pleased to be sure; most of the reason I posted these was to get a more finished look before i get things out of neat with next steps...

Quote Originally Posted by gregleetaylor View Post

Thanks!

I've used small bronze round head screws with half inch washers to hold leather to jaws and crutch. If you space them nicely they look good and they have the advantage of being removable for varnishing.

I just love the way that coaming looks! The whole boat, so clean and sharp!

I found a picture of Sea Rovers gaff jaws. The leather was sewn around the jaws and held in place by a few screws.

Jim

Last edited by Jim Ledger; 08-29-2020 at 05:27 PM.

Lovely lines and you are doing a crisp job of everything!
    You may have a reason for two cleats up forward - like mooring or slip lines but
    I was wondering if you considered just one cleat in the middle of fordeck with the two chocks? less to trip on...