Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 213031
Results 1,051 to 1,074 of 1074

Thread: Garden Tom Cat

Default Re: Garden Tom Cat

The traveler is not the problem. It’s the long sheet that seems to loop over anything you don’t want it to catch. Some catboat owners go so far as to cover their stern cleats. With a lot of practice, when the wind is strong enough to keep the sheet taught, I can keep the sheet from tangling with my outboard. The problem usually happens when I’m making close tacks in a confined channel.

Hi Mike,

For sure I expect to be "catching sheet" on this little cat just as I do on my 18" cat. It is something I have learned to deal with over the years. I'm doing my best to minimize the problem and may go so far as to un-mount the motor when under sail. It is light enough to lift it off easily with one hand and relatively slender for stowing either aft under the counter or forward along the hull.

My 18' boat had a long shaft, 6hp 2 cycle on it that the past owner would un-mount and store on the starboard side of the centerboard trunk in the cabin. There were plenty of dents and dings in the woodwork as a result... I am hoping this little motor will be a little easier to deal with

Your arrangements on your cat are very nice by the way. Can you share a picture of the galley arrangrment you made up for her please?

Oh, one more idea i'm pondering is similar to the bridle arrangement you pictured. I've seen travelers rigged with a single short line up to block that is positioned much closer to the boom. I dont think this wood help much with a slack sheet. Slack is real slack on the boats!
    Last edited by gregleetaylor; 11-30-2020 at 02:03 AM. Reason: P.S.

I keep forgetting that this isn’t your first catboat. I cannot unship my oily Seagull because of the mess it would bring aboard. Your elegant electric will give you more flexibility.

Here is a photo of my cook box. The setting is the lovely Watmough Bay on the southeast corner of Lopez Island.

5CDE8FBE-CC8E-4CEE-9573-D63892F1DB89.jpg

Yea man! That's livin'! ...can't wait to get camp cruising again! Thinking abot how I'm going to make up my galley box for this little boat!! Thanks Mike!

closing in on finishing my modified outboard bracket. some final smoothing epoxy and perhaps paint still to go.

2" x 3" aluminum angle from on-line metals

getting angles and cut lines

after much shaping, filing and sanding...

In vertical position, you can see that the motor head can be lowered about three inches. I can't do that at this time as the basement floor stops the drop! In this shot I have moved the traveler forward to see if this may provide some help in avoiding the sheet hang ups of tacking and jibing...

and in sailing position...

Last edited by gregleetaylor; 11-30-2020 at 11:53 PM. Reason: add anutha pic

Greg just thinking about your traveller. Could you shift it up against the back of coamings and mount it up on some small winch-base type blocks ? Just to k eep it further out of the way.

That's a good suggestion Andrew!!! I'll probably not do that immediately but that's a possibility for certain, thanks!
    Last edited by gregleetaylor; 12-04-2020 at 09:06 AM.

EP Carry! Steve Stone was trying to convince me to get one of those, can't wait to see it in person!

I am very hopeful. My fat cat is marginal in weight at maybe 700#s. For an outboard it is a very clean and simple unit. Planning on doing the cowling paint thing to make it blend in a bit better...

I am getting close to clearing out the basement (for the second time) to haul out and up the side yard on the trailer!! Getting more excited...

kind of late now I guess but what about a hip mounted drop in bracket used only when underpower like we have for our Sakonett? No room for the motor in the cockpit?
    Quote Originally Posted by gregleetaylor View Post
    I am very hopeful. My fat cat is marginal in weight at maybe 700#s. For an outboard it is a very clean and simple unit. Planning on doing the cowling paint thing to make it blend in a bit better...

I am getting close to clearing out the basement (for the second time) to haul out and up the side yard on the trailer!! Getting more excited...

I have always liked the concept. The Cape Dory Typhoon uses an elegant model fit into minimal deck fittings holding a motor bracket. There IS room for the motor in the boat. I will have the option to unclamp it from the stern bracket (which is itself removeable albeit leaving four 5/16" holes) to improve balance and looks. Will I do this? We shall see!

What do you do on 3rd and long? Punt? Go for it?

Not much to see of late but quite a few things off the list. All of the 100 plus rubrail screws are countersunk, bedded and filed flush. The motor mount has been refined and is ready for finish. The stemhead fitting has been drilled for a flag halyard and the aft side countersunk for a fastening screw. It also received another round of smoothing and polishing. The sole boards have been trimmed where they were too close and the turnbutton fasteners were fined tuned to operate more easily. The sole was also modified to allow easier removal. A LiFePO4 battery and a power supply panel is on the way for camp cruising; built into the stb locker.

Once the boat is out of the basement, currently scheduled for March 30th, I will be able to try to step the mast so... I have glued up and cut out a blank for the mast collar that will take the mast boot and mast wedges. I will round this and bevel it (angle varies due to deck angle). It must wait to be fastened on as the clearance out of the basement is tight. ...brother in law will take some video...

P.S. I have also begun the process of designing and fitting a boom tent. The plan is for Sunbrella over boom in crutch at the stern and over raised spars from the gooseneck. Camp galley box under design too with fit under the stern counter; strapped in. I'll use very light gear this time and small with all the new back packing gear available. Tent hoops athwartships a la wagons. I'm also thinking the motor can be released from the mount in 15 seconds and ride forward on the port sole with a bungie or two against stirring. That would free me from the tack and jibe hang ups save for a chance or two over the mount itself...
    Last edited by gregleetaylor; 01-06-2021 at 04:55 PM. Reason: add more plans, boom tent, not boom test!!!

Looking great, Greg Lee!

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Looks good Greg, especially that bow fitting. Can’t wai to see her outside.

Thanks Kevin! This will finally be the year!!! Wish us luck sliding her sideways out the basement door

Hi Greg,

I took this photo for you last week to show you how I ended up setting the outboard when under sail.

IMG_5402.jpg

Nice ! Thanks Ofer!! Well out of the way!!! That should work out very well. How do you like the propulsion it gives and is that motor rated in horse power? If so what is it? The electric motor I have is about 1 HP.

Here is my most recent update. I had a coupla bad cuts (not in picture) that i quickly glued up. Rounding was a combination of setting varying angles on the table saw 4 & 8 siding and then some belt sanding and hand rasping.

The angles were planned to meet the mast at the same level at the boot top. Here is a test of the angles; that middle one was cut down...

Paper was roughed out around the sticks to get an approximation of the shape of the boot

I'll be shaping the partners (surface area of the deck hole) and making new mast wedges next. Then I'll drill for screws and make the boot. I will be sewing
    some vinyl fabric to fit using velcro around the base and along the after seam. First sewing on the boat but not the last...

very yachtie!

Quote Originally Posted by gregleetaylor View Post
    Nice ! Thanks Ofer!! Well out of the way!!! That should work out very well. How do you like the propulsion it gives and is that motor rated in horse power? If so what is it? The electric motor I have is about 1 HP.

Here is my most recent update. I had a coupla bad cuts (not in picture) that i quickly glued up. Rounding was a combination of setting varying angles on the table saw 4 & 8 siding and then some belt sanding and hand rasping.

The angles were planned to meet the mast at the same level at the boot top. Here is a test of the angles; that middle one was cut down...

Paper was roughed out around the sticks to get an approximation of the shape of the boot

I'll be shaping the partners (surface area of the deck hole) and making new mast wedges next. Then I'll drill for screws and make the boot. I will be sewing
    some vinyl fabric to fit using velcro around the base and along the after seam. First sewing on the boat but not the last...

Great work Greg - now you’ve got me thinking ahead of time as I wasn’t going to have a go at the boot until much later. Well done!

Well thank you Laurie!

I'm not sure how this will turn out but we both need to go sailing without much worry about a little water aboard. I plan to bed the collar to the deck and fasten it from underneath (not epoxying it).

I received a mailing to schedule a sailing in July and I plan on launching in April to be ready for another group regatta (of sorts).

Spars to varnish very soon, boat out of basement and into garage on trailer; March 20 is the plan!!!!

Fair winds!

Hi Greg,

My motor is rated at less than 1 HP. It is doing great for getting out of the marine and return. On a windy day I have to put it on almost max power but I never even reached 50% on the battery.

I use a similar motor on my own catboat. Much similarity in our set ups!
    James D. Maxwell
    Missoula, MT
    Sailing Inland Seas
    Heron #1

Ofer, that's encouraging news! Thank you.

James D,

Fatcat2? Looking now as I have only recently heard of this boat. What size motor are you using please? and what does your cat displace? Thanks for dropping in!

Finishing up the mooring boom crutch...