Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 91819

Thread: Garden Tom Cat

Default Re: Garden Tom Cat

Nice round-over sander you've concocted!

thanks JaySchoonerman! Well intentioned at least... i was just sighting down the length and there ARE some long ridges that a quick fly over with the plane will help with...

Looks great Greg. Did you decided how to connect the boom? Are you going with the plans?

Thanks Ofer!

I'm going with the plans for boom and gaff. If they don't work well, I'll switch over to bronze...

Ollie say's it's all right for me to start sanding now...

Last edited by gregleetaylor; 01-23-2018 at 03:57 PM.

Mast nearly sanded and thinking toward varnish. Should I coat it with CPES first? Never used it before...

Thanks to the Aussie, Dry Water on Australia day! The inside of PVC pipe has made the sanding easier and accurate!

Who knows what this is?

Garden calls it a bolster. A support chock goes underneath it. A 1/8" dacron cord passes through the top of the boom jaws; down through a hole in the chock under the bolster and back up through another hole on the other side of the jaws... The boom and rig are supported at the mast on this bolster when sails are down.

The mast is sanded. Six different pieces get epoxied to it next. 1) bolster, 2) thumb cleat which gathers luff lacing as sail in lowered, 3) an eye to take a rope grommet that will loop around from the forward mast near the top to the after side, 4) no name spacer chock. This takes the rope grommet from above and conveys it, two leads sewn together, over the top and down where a block with becket is seized in. This block is the top block of the throat halyard rigging. and.... 5) the oak mast step will be glued into the foot of the mast

...and, at the other end some 16' 6" distant is another member of the epoxy future gang...

Last edited by gregleetaylor; 01-28-2018 at 06:34 PM. Reason: fix things

I was puzzled by the oak mast step glued to the mast till I saw the pic. It may be that the complete plans account for the issues I'm about to raise but since I didn't see that, here goes:

It the mast tang or more fully 'butt tang' or 'heel tang' and goes into a slot in the step. It takes enourmous side to side and fore&aft pressures. I would have the bottom foot of the mast solid with the tang burried deeply in it. If the insert is well glued, you might not need a support at the bottom of the mast but Marmalade's sure does. On Marmalade that support is a round hole in the step about 2" higher than the bottom of the step. This part of the step is actually a seperate plank that lands on stringers on the frames each side with bolts on either side of the hole itself so it's very strong in all directions.

One trick not often done but which I always do if I ever repair or build a new mast and step: Relieve the tang a little on all fore sides such that it has a subtle taper from the butt down to it's end. Match that taper in the step. Now you'll have a full length snug fit - no alarming rattle with a tack or suddenly turning from a beat to a run - and it will be an easy insert easy out fit because once up just a nudge it's all loose. You'll get to like this the first time you go to pull the stick after everything has swolllen. Or maybe before because getting that tang into the slot in the step is really hard if you are trying to hit a perfectly sized target.

I subtly taper that big hole atop the step and the bottom of the mast butt to match for the same reason.

When I rebuilt that part of Marmalade's mast, I made the tang longer than the hole for the mast butt is high to increase the ease of stepping. Made a huge difference.

G'luck

I probably don't know what i'm looking at but, aren't you going to put a solid piece into the base of the mast? I would want the last 4 inches or so to be solid for strength and surely don't want critters and insects making a home in there in the during the off season.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian McColgin View Post

One trick not often done but which I always do if I ever repair or build a new mast and step: Relieve the tang a little on all fore sides such that it has a subtle taper from the butt down to it's end. Match that taper in the step. Now you'll have a full length snug fit - no alarming rattle with a tack or suddenly turning from a beat to a run - and it will be an easy insert easy out fit because once up just a nudge it's all loose. You'll get to like this the first time you go to pull the stick after everything has swolllen. Or maybe before because getting that tang into the slot in the step is really hard if you are trying to hit a perfectly sized target.

I subtly taper that big hole atop the step and the bottom of the mast butt to match for the same reason

G'luck
    yes, I did this as well, worth it

I’m sure Greg’s intention is to make that bottom portion solid as I have on my Tom Cat build in Oz. It makes no sense at all to have any hollow portions in the bottom section of the mast below deck level. My internal plugs actually go up past boom bolster level prior to tapering them off internally.

Yes, yep and OK.

There is a solid core just as Dry Water has done. The hollow visible (6" deep) gets filled with white oak and epoxy completing the solid core and it' a good idea to put a slight taper on the tenon mated to the step. gonna do that!

I have been making the smallest wood pieces of this build. They are 1 3/4" "eyes" that get glued to the spars sparing them the weakening intrusion of wood screws. 8 are required, pictures next time.

Are you making any accomodation for a weep hole way down to relieve any moisture that may accumulate inside the hollow mast?

Willin, You know how to hurt a guy... I pondered it but no, I decided not to use a weep hole. The mast is sealed inside and soon outside with epoxy... taking my chances...I think...

I haven't finished it yet but, I've remade the mast step tenon doubling its length and adding taper on four faces. This is the first use of "chalking in" I've done, so far so good. Some pictures of it soon. I think it's a good modification and thanks. Also thanks for the advice about the small pitch pocket in the boom. I'll varnish over it.

Here's the modification to the mast step mortise; wider, longer, deeper and tapered!

close up, nearly finished:

I've cut and tapered the gaff now. Like the boom, it bowed a very little bit upon release from the board but quickly trimmed up.

While making little bits of wood that get glued to the mast, I decided I would make a block to mount on a chock on the aft side of the mast. This is the block for the throat halyard pictured on the left. The block on the right is underway also and will be at the mast head for the peak halyard. Both blocks incorporate beckets.

More hardware making. The throat halyard block has been smoothed and is nearly ready to go on the mast. The peak halyard block now has teak sides. The gaff saddle, and the throat blocks are underway.

Last edited by gregleetaylor; 02-25-2018 at 10:17 PM.

Didn’t know you were making your own blocks, wanted to do this but ran out of steam before I could run down some 16 ga everdure, what are you using? Looks a little heavier, maybe 12 ga? What are you using for bearing and sheave? Looks nice

Hi Jim. I didn't know either. I though at the outset I would, bought Harken sheaves but decided against it after a trial... was going to rope strop them... On the bronze, I was looking for a lighter gauge but could not locate any. I found 12 gauge at on line metals and bought a metal cutting band saw blade. They ARE a bit heavy but I think they'll do. Some bronze bearings and nylon spacers; small connecting lugs of 3/16" SB scrap and manganese bronze shackles from R&W rope.

Question for you please: Boom jaws. Plans show a 1/8 dacron line that holds the boom down when the sail is up. This threads from port jaw down through a bolster glued on the after side on the centerline of the mast and back up through the stb jaw. How is this done on Coquina and is there any restriction e.g. when jibing?

Thanks again

if I understand you you are talking about the line(s) that keeps the boom from rising when the throat halyard is bowsed up tight, correct?
    I made a sort of grommet with multiple passes of seine twine going through holes in either side of the jaws where they begin to taper into the booms over and under the booms with the loops hanging below about 5" which I seized together with the fall of the twine to make a nice eye on the bottom. I can unwrap the seizing and adjust the overall length of the grommet to fine tune length but I've got it where I want it and the multitude of strands keep stretch to a minimum. I have a bronze eyes attached to both masts on the after centerline about 6" below where the boom sits when sails are hoisted. I attach the eye of the grommet to the eye on the mast with dynema soft shackles so that I can quickly release that connection when bundling the the furled sail and spars up against the mast, otherwise it binds when raising the the bundle up, no issues when sailing, works perfectly. let me find a picture...

Yes, you understood the question. Your solution seems to make sense. I'm not comfortable with the single 1/8" "down haul" if you will. Chafe. Would like to see a picture if you've got it, yes, please.

P.S. The dynema shackle is good easy disconnect. I don't think I'll be bundling my sail and spars against the mast for removal; a bit much to handle but I will need to release the gaff boom and sail from the mast for trailering.

love all the stuff one can do with dynema; the soft shackles are light and kind to brightwork, i used them a number of places

Oops, I'm using 16 gauge silicon bronze to make the blocks... still could have been lighter...
    Last edited by gregleetaylor; 02-27-2018 at 04:12 PM. Reason: doh

Quote Originally Posted by gregleetaylor View Post
    Oops, I'm using 16 gauge silicon bronze to make the blocks... still could have been lighter...
    I was thinking anything lighter might be too little but yeah my reineck blocks are a lighter gauge than 16, still, good on you for making your own, I love little mechanical projects like those

Hi Greg, are you using a 1 1/2 mast band?

Hello Ofer, yes, that's the one I used.

Also, I am very seriously considering ordering bronze for the spar connections notwithstanding my first plan to make up oak jaws... This primarily after reading an article in the Ash Breeze; Newsletter of the Traditional Small Craft Association, including references to jaw repair... My current catboat uses a gaff saddle, I like how well it works. We'll see if all that expensive bronze makes it into the boat!

Life happens. Long hiatus, step son married, bad kidney stone, and oh yes, work... No launch this year!!

Very little done but getting back to it. Sail being constructed as I write, spar connecting bronze WAS ordered from across pond.

Decision not to varnish interior boards; instead oiled. Too much varnish to maintain, already have enough.

Home made blocks moving forward with three more nearing completion.

Nothing to show for any of this picture-wise. Next pics will be blocks and then the changing of the interior color which is still under review!!!

so close

I know exactly what you mean about life happening - I feel for you

I have about 1400 hours logged, countless other "thinking hours". I DO like to sail but it's for sure on the big fiberglass cat for another season. Things could be much worse... Thanks for the support though gents as it really helps keep me going...
    Last edited by gregleetaylor; 04-18-2018 at 07:09 PM.

Keep plugging away at it! There's no rush. Just enjoy the process.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.