Thread: Interior Hull Painting Recommendations?

Default Interior Hull Painting Recommendations?

I need to paint the interior of the boat (now open, without deck) before I transport my Snipe to a local area boatbuilding school for restoration work. The interior has been sealed with tung oil sealer, and sanded. I will be painting the interior with oil based alkyd enamel. Do you think it is OK to apply the paint directly over the existing sealed surface, or should I apply an oil-based paint primer first?

I asked the Antique Boat Center (Cincinnati, OH - on Facebook) what they do for finishing the interior of the wooden Chris Craft, Century and other classic inboard runabouts that they restore. They seal the interior with CPES and then paint with oil-based alkyd paint. I thought that maybe I could follow a similar process with my Snipe. I'd rather not go to the extra step of applying the primer if it's not really needed.

What are your recommendations - paint OK directly over sealed wood, or use primer first and then paint?

Default Re: Interior Hull Painting Recommendations?

I understand the reason for painting outside, protection from UV degradation. What is the reason for painting the inside?

If it were me I would do primer first, in a different color than the intended final color. That way you get easily spot when some area is getting a little worn before it gets down to exposed wood.
    It's nice to be able to touch-up before any problems arise.
    Sometimes you've gotta leave the kibble out where the slow dogs can get some....
    ... Roy Blount, Jr.

The Snipe is a partially open one-design racing sailboat, about 60% decked and the remainder open. These boats have typically been finished inside, either painted or varnished to reduce moisture absorption into the wood hull (planked or plywood) - and for appearance. In the old days pre-WW II, either varnish or thinned paint was used to protect the interior. Now with better sealers available (CPES or tung oil), the interior wood surfaces can be sealed more effectively. My boat (64 years old) has solid wood planking but some discoloration, too much effort required to sand to bare wood and bleach stains, so I elected to use an oil-based alkyd paint that was custom mixed to simulate the color of varnished wood. The exterior of the wood hull will be epoxy-faired and epoxy-fiberglassed, and painted with oil-based alkyd paint that simulates the original varnished wood color also.

For those of you who might be interested in this topic, I checked with the manufacturer of the tung oil sealer I used (Waterlox). They advised that because of the special resin tung oil formula that they use, it is OK to paint directly over the dried sealer, which seals the wood grain but does not leave an oily surface. Either alkyd oil-based primer or top coat can be used, primer if high-build coating is needed to fill wood grain pores or for more even coating appearance (after sanding), otherwise direct application of finish coat is OK. Tung oil sealer also has been used to seal wood before finishing natural with marine spar varnish (as described for boat project in West System EpoxyWorks). Such finish application might not be recommended if linseed oil-based sealer is used (my opinion). Topic closed.