Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Progress on Kurylko Alaska Build

Default Re: Progress on Kurylko Alaska Build

I've been thinking about tents again, Tom, and I've responded to James' thread. I think for you the awning would be a good start. You could set it up quickly for shade and cooking and either add panels to make it water- and bug-proof, or set the tent up underneath it. You could also lower the awning to sleep under and raise it in the morning. Of course, you'll need a thumbcleat for the mainmast (but you may want to make a sprit for downwind work later anyway). Even if you sleep ashore the awning could prevent a lot of water coming aboard on rainy nights.

I see a few boats in the EC with little sunshades over the cockpit. What do you think of shade for the helmsman, or does the sun not bother you much?

Actually, I prefer to be out in the open so I'm not a big fan of awnings and dodgers and all that. The sun doesn't get too hot up in the 40s N latitude, so shade is not a big need. I wear a hat if I must.

For whatever reason, an awning doesn't appeal to me, however practical it is. When I make my tent, I suspect I'll probably end up with a tarp stretched over a line between the mainmast and mizzen. If I'm ambitious I might put a couple of tent-poles/hoops between the gunwales to hold it up. But mosquito netting at the ends will be crucial.

But none of that's a big priority since I can usually sleep ashore easily if I need a tent because of bugs or weather. When I get my act together and sail the Inside Passage or other areas where it's not so easy to sleep aboard, then I'll need the tent.

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

I've had good luck with a boomtent and a few hoops from gunwale to gunwale. I have a bivy for bugs. I tried a hammock under the boom, but A waterman's wake busted my boomcrutch. If it had been steeper waves it might have capsized my 16 foot melonseed.

The bivi is a nice ultra-simple approach, but around here the mosquitos show up at about 9:45 p.m., like turning on a switch--sit around outside until then, but you better be in the tent before they show up. I'm not sure I'd want to be stuck inside a bivi sack that early. At least in a tent I can sit up, eat, read, etc.

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

I bought a traveller's mosquito net that hangs from the ridgeline and covers the entire sleeping platform.

So, back to gluing temps. I moved the hull to my brother's garage and enlisted his help with the rest of the build--he's a much better builder than I am. We've made some progress in the past week. Here's the hull with centerboard slot cut:

I had most of the furniture and bulkheads cut last fall but it got too cold to glue. Next step: put 'em in.

www.tompamperin.com

Tom, I wish you lived close enough so I could come over and lend a hand this weekend. You're so damn close now!

(well, sorta. Actually that was a little white lie to encourage you. You're about 1/3 done. But it's all fun and interesting woodworking from now on, the slog is over.)

And here they are, just set inside the hull to take a good look--there's the stern seat, three thwarts, three mast steps, a centerboard case, and a flotation chamber in the bow that's admittedly not strictly to plans:

We also cut out the centerboard and shaped it. Next week all this furniture should get glued in place, and I'll have to add some lead to the board and glass it. Then decks, a samson post, a rounded coaming, and a whole lot of finishing work (spars are already done except for varnish and hardware).

Again, my "help" at this stage was making simple relatively idiot-proof cuts and measurements while my brother did all the thinking and tricky things. By the time the boat's done, it'll be about half (at most) my work. And it will be a much better boat for it!

Tom
    Last edited by WI-Tom; 10-04-2016 at 12:39 PM.

www.tompamperin.com

James,

yeah, it's a stage with a lot of seemingly sudden progress, especially with my brother helping. I'm curious what Don will think of my bow flotation chamber (I can picture him, and all designers, cringing at the thought of changes to a carefully-thought-out design), but after hearing about Chipito capsizing in a gust and not floating high enough to bail successfully, I wanted more insurance.

Still, I don't know if "so damn close" is quite accurate either; there's LOTS left to do. But I suspect it'll hit the water before things ice up around here, though it'll have to wait for real sails until next year (but at least my wife will know what to get me for Christmas!)

As for coming out to help, why don't you wait until the sanding and final fairing of the hull? I have a longboard with your name on it! (Or, I'll take a sharpie and write your name on it before you show up...)

Tom

www.tompamperin.com

One more look:

Sorry, but I can't get the photo to rotate after 80 bazillion attempts. But you can see the forward flotation chamber roughed in with scraps to give some idea. There will also be a small fore deck and coaming at the very bow, at sheer level.

You can't really tell from this photo, but the top of the forward flotation chamber will be well below the sheer, at the same level as the thwart tops. The main mast step will sit on top, with a compression post beneath. The mast will be about an inch higher than Don't plans show this way, but will still have more bury than the center mast step, which is also set up to take the mainsail on the main mast.

Thwart tops and top trim of centerboard case and gunwales will be finished bright (and maybe the transom), the rest painted (gray? white? cream?) and the exterior probably painted white. Later,

Tom
    Last edited by WI-Tom; 05-25-2012 at 11:44 AM.

www.tompamperin.com

Looking goo Tom!

Dan

Tom!

Nice boat.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

Tom...I notice that you have cutouts in the thwart webs. Are you not planning on putting foam in those compartments?

I wish I could convince you to hold off on the bow buoyancy tank until you have had a chance to try out the boat for awhile without it. I'm pretty sure that the stowage for anchoring and mooring gear is a far better use for that space. I really doubt that it will contribute all that much extra flotation if swamped. You will gain much, much more with watertight stowage/air bags along the sides of the hull under the benches.

I'm not sure if Chipito had any extra flotation in his boat when he swamped, if any at all. I don't remember. I hope Alex and Darrough will chime in with their thoughts. I know that Darrough has practiced capsize and rescue drills with his boat.

Looking good!

Don,

thanks for chiming in--I should have asked you about changing things but was a bit apprehensive of what you'd think. I'm planning on sealing the thwarts and not putting foam in--my hope is that the hatches will provide enough ventilation to avoid problems with that. I have drain tunnels through each thwart. Seat tops will be bedded and screwed in place so I can get at the space if necessary.

I do plan to store my gear in dry bags lashed under the side benches, so that will add lots of flotation, too. I think Chipito's boat was empty if I remember right, so loaded for cruising it would certainly take on less water if the worst happens. But I'm optimistic (perhaps stupidly so) that the flotation chamber in the bow won't change much for the worse, since I'm simply replacing the teak grate with a permanent deck in essence. If it turns out to be stupid, well... it won't be the first stupid thing I've ever done, and will be fixable. It is a big space, though, and that much of an air chamber low in the bow seems like it could be a good thing. And it might be a bit easier to get to the forward mast without having to step over a pile of anchor gear. I agonized over the choice for a long time and may not have arrived at the right answer for sure! Other than the loss of a handy anchor well, do you see any other problems a sealed chamber there would present?

You make a good point about stowage for mooring gear--most of my sailing is in zero-tide waters where you can usually anchor in knee-deep water. I may regret not having that space when I take on the Inside Passage and need hundreds of feet of anchor line. Something to think about--nothing is permanent yet.

I didn't know darroch had tried some capsize drills; with luck he'll step in and tell me the results before I change things. But I appreciate your input--if you see other problems that sealed chamber will cause, I'd love to hear about it. I tried to think it through, but the quality of my thinking isn't backed up by the amount of experience you and others on this forum have.

Tom

www.tompamperin.com

Tom...the only problem with the forward chamber is the loss of useful stowage space. It will work as you envision, but I think I would rather retain the stowage capability and just stuff some partially inflated inner tubes up forward to add some extra buoyancy if need be.

Watertight chambers under the thwarts will work fine too. You have obviously taken some pains to assure that they won't leak. No problem there either.

As for the mooring system, I personaly think it is indispensible for wilderness cruising, even on the Great Lakes. Alasaka is a pretty heavy boat and it is not always possible to pull the hull high enough up the beach (granite in your case) to keep any significant wave action from beating the hell out of it should you be caught out on a lee shore. Winds shift - often when least expected and usually in the middle of the night. It's one of Murphy's Laws.

Big Food and Rowan rafted out on a mooring: peace of mind.

Thanks for your input, Don; I'll install the thwarts and stern seat tomorrow, and will give some more thought to the forward air chamber. I'll have two hatches mounted flush on that "deck" so I ought to be able to keep a long anchor line (though not the anchor) in that chamber for trips when I need it. Maybe that will be a workable compromise.

My cruise last summer in the North Channel makes me think I'll usually be able to anchor just offshore there in tiny protected coves, with an anchor holding the stern and a line ashore from the bow. No need to beach the boat that way--usually...

Anyway, thanks again for a beautiful hull. This boat is so loooong and lean, like a twelve-footer stretched to eighteen feet. Just staring at it and daydreeaming every time I walk into the shop is starting to cut into my work time. It's going to be fun. Later,

Tom

www.tompamperin.com

I think Don is right about always being ready for mooring out, especially where there is no tide action and you can't be sure to dry out well above the water's edge.

This last Saturday night I set Rowan up on a clothesline moor on the north side of Guemes Island in the gentle rays of the setting sun while little tranquil wavelets gently lapped on shore and the Salish Sea was calm as a lake. By one AM it was blowing 25 kts.

Well, I went ahead and built in the bow buoyancy chamber--hope that won't be a change I regret. I plan to build in a bracket to stow an anchor on that "deck" just behind the forward mast step. There should be plenty of space to stow mooring line and gear aft of the bow chamber.

As of today, all the furniture is glued in except the seat tops, which will be bedded and screwed after I epoxy seal the interior of the hull. Gunwales are fitted (thanks to Don's construction plan, they took about 2 seconds to pop into place) and frames are glued in as well. Lots of progress with not much obvious change in appearance. I'm off to Michigan sailing this week, then I'll fit decks and deck beams when I return. Then it's almost all finish work--epoxy sealing, sanding, painting, etc. until it's time to turn the hull over and install the external keel and stem.

Getting closer, though; I'm REALLY going to like this boat!

Tom

www.tompamperin.com

So here it is now--plenty of room to stow the masts flat on the thwarts, which will be nice:

Another look:

And one more for now:

www.tompamperin.com

Well that is looking good Tom. I realize you got other things keeping you busy now, that time of the year. My SCAMP is moving along glued one of my whiskey planks on today. Looks like it will hit the water next summer. Stop in some time on your way to the big water in the East. Just think Council Grounds I am just a mile away across the water.

Sounds good, Pete--thanks for the invite. Looks like I'll be launching next spring, but I should get paint on the hull before winter. Another delay...

Hmm... my Photobucket pictures seem to have vanished...

Have fun with your build,

Tom

www.tompamperin.com

Well, a little more recent progress reassures me that my Alaska will actually hit the water at some still indeterminate point in the future. It's been so long (got the plans in September of 2009, built the strongback and started planking in 2010) that I've given up making any predictions about that more specific than "someday." But I'm ever more hopeful that "someday soon" might be even more accurate.

Edit to add: I'd be remiss if I didn't mention again how much help my brother has provided on this build. And by "help" I mean he has figured out, cut, and fit all of the tricky parts. Almost all. I actually cut out all the interior bulkheads myself. Then a week or two later my niece (too young to be anything but honest) told me "My dad had to throw away all those parts you made and cut out ones that fit better." I'd say roughly half the work on this boat, at most, is mine. And for the other half, I've been the helper rather than the main builder. All of which will make this a much better boat!

Here's what it looked like a week ago:

Rather than use the designer's idea for hinged benches to create a sleeping platform, I built simple cleats to hold benches and filler planks instead:

The filler planks stow neatly alongside the centerboard case when not in use, while a simple loop of shock cord over a small screw eye in the seat cleat should be enough to hold the side benches in place:

Last edited by WI-Tom; 10-04-2016 at 06:07 PM.

www.tompamperin.com

Tom-

I thought that you had jilted her and run off with your brother's boat!

Are the filler planks for a sleeping platform?

Kenny

I've also been figuring out where to place tie-downs for stowing gear. I generally carry two large dry bags for a 3-4 week cruise. These seem to stow neatly just aft of the center mast step, which will help keep some weight forward to counterbalance the helmsman when singlehanding:

A closer look also shows the final shape of the curved coaming--and this (just forward of the bags, under the thwart) will be the main mast step, as I anticipate sailing mostly with the 85 sq ft standing lug mainsail in the center mast step, with no mizzen. That's based largely on my own preference for simplicity (one sheet--the ketch rig uses a double-sided mainsheet--and one mast), but also on reports of other Alaska owners that in any kind of breeze at all, a single sail in the center step is all you need.

I still need to cut the partner out of the forward thwart, and install a downhaul attachment system of some kind.

Last edited by WI-Tom; 10-04-2016 at 06:09 PM.

www.tompamperin.com

Quote Originally Posted by minuteman View Post
    Tom-

I thought that you had jilted her and run off with your brother's boat!

Are the filler planks for a sleeping platform?

Kenny
    Yep, the same set-up of filler planks will fit forward of the thwart where the bags are stowed (they'll need to be lifted out onto the forward platform for access to gear anyway, so will be out of the way). While sailing, the two center filler planks and the 4 planks for the forward section will all stow alongside the centerboard (actually two of them will sit on the keel to form floorboards, and 4 will stow upright along the centerboard case).

I probably should have just not brought my brother's Phoenix III back, but even I have some standards of boat borrowing ethics, it seems. Even if I was willing to stretch those ethics to the point of sailing his boat in this year's Texas 200... But it's definitely past time to get my Alaska launched.

Tom
    Last edited by WI-Tom; 10-03-2016 at 09:50 PM.

www.tompamperin.com

I did get a couple of coats of paint on the hull--used Dutch Boy latex porch/floor enamel, which is the same paint on my brother's Phoenix III. It's cheap and durable (his boat has gone 5 years without touching up). I used foam rollers, which give a slightly textured/stippled appearance, thus making it impossible to even try for a mirror-like glossy finish, and alleviating some of the guilt I wouldn't have felt anyway about having lower standards than that:

It's hard to tell from the pictures, but the paint was supposed to be green. It matches the color swatch I picked almost perfectly, but somehow in real life you can hardly tell what color it is. Gray? Green? Dirty white? You can hardly see any green in it unless there's something white (e.g. my brother's Phoenix III in the photo below) in the background:

I'm actually quite happy with the color. I think it will annoy people when they try to describe what color my boat is. I know it's supposed to be green but even I can't tell just by looking at it.

Still to go:

Oarlock risers
    Mast partner
    Install centerboard
    Build tiller
    Paint decks
    Finish brightwork (gunwales, seat tops, spars, samson post, sternsheets backrest)
    Install tie-downs

And the big one:

Fair/finish/paint interior--lots to clean up here, as I botched the fairing compound attempt #1 a year or two back.

And of course, pick a name. A few possibilities rattling around but nothing settled yet.

Tom

www.tompamperin.com

That is one nice looking boat!

Keep up the good work.
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

I hope that "Heffalump" is on the short list.

Quote Originally Posted by minuteman View Post
    I hope that "Heffalump" is on the short list.
    I admit that it's been off and on the list a few times. Not sure if it has made the shortest version of the list...

Tom

www.tompamperin.com

Woozle?
    Last edited by WoodyHuscarl; 10-04-2016 at 09:12 AM. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by WoodyHuscarl View Post
    Woozle?
    Another one from Milne I've considered--but I'm beginning to think with Jagular I used my best idea for a name on my first boat. I'll have to see what other possibilities arise. Plenty of time yet, with 4 coats of paint drying on the hull this week, and plenty of interior work to do starting up again next week.

I suppose I could drop it in the water and do a rowing trip before the weather gets bad. Hmm...

Tom

www.tompamperin.com

Quote Originally Posted by WI-Tom View Post
    I admit that it's been off and on the list a few times. Not sure if it has made the shortest version of the list...

Tom
    Boojum? Because its not a "Snark"?

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

Troll through Edward Lear children's poems.

Jumblies!

Some good suggestions; thanks--reading through Lear, Maurice Sendak, Lewis Carroll, etc. Any other similar authors I haven't thought of?

Tom

www.tompamperin.com