Page 1 of 5 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Progress on Kurylko Alaska Build

Default Progress on Kurylko Alaska Build

So, after 2 years there has been some progress on my Alaska--despite my temporary boat Jagular, a Bolger Pirate Racer I built a few years back, turning out to be a lot less temporary than I intended, taking me to the North Channel a few times, the Texas 200, and a bunch more adventures. Seems only fair to start off this thread with a nod to the old boat:

That's Jagular beached (rocked?) on the shore of Caroline Island on our 20-day North Channel cruise last summer.

The new build went SLOW (no shop, cold winters, and that darn temporary boat wanting to be sailed on all my good building days in summer) but I got the backbone assembled, spars and molds built, the strips ripped, and eventually collected a few tools, found a garage (unheated, unfortunately) I could afford to rent as a boatshop, and convinced my brother to help me set up the building jig and start planking. That was simple, but messy. However, sloth and winters kept me from getting it done until this spring (planking probably could be done pretty easily in a week or two with a more ambitious builder):

This June, I finally got it out of the rented garage and on a trailer--the hull roughly faired, interior bulkheads cut out and fitted but not installed:

And it doesn't look half bad--should hit the water next summer:

You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

Jagular Goes Everywhere: (mis)Adventures in a $300 Sailboat. Book release November 2014.

Default Re: Progress on Kurylko Alaska Build

20 day north channel cruise in a pirate racer! By the time you finish the Alaska maybe you will figure out whether or not you like to sail more than you like to build. Alaska looks terrific either way.

Bravo!

Allan

Tom,

Looking Good! I can appreciate having a tough time geting projects finished in a timely manner as well--and for the same reasons. My double tamanu has been at a standstill for two years untill this winter. I finally got some beams laminated and some paint on it...but now it's back to shcool and coaching. At least I've got a school shop I can use on occasion.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Binnacle Bat View Post
    20 day north channel cruise in a pirate racer! By the time you finish the Alaska maybe you will figure out whether or not you like to sail more than you like to build. Alaska looks terrific either way.

Bravo!

Allan
    Thanks, Allan--

absolutely NO doubt left over whether I'm more of a builder or more of a sailor: sailor all the way! Building Alaska has shown me just how much I don't like building (you can never just build something, first you have tyo build something else to prepare to build the next thing, which will finally be useful to build an actual piece of the boat! etc. etc.) and how inept a guy can be and still (so far, anyway) produce a decent boat... slowly.

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

Jagular Goes Everywhere: (mis)Adventures in a $300 Sailboat. Book release November 2014.

I can appreciate having a tough time geting projects finished in a timely manner as well--and for the same reasons.
    Yeah, you're a teacher and coach, too, aren't you; you know what it's like--no building time for 9 months/year, and of course you can't waste SUMMER for building when you've got another boat waiting to be sailed on a long trip somewhere...

Tom

So, a question to you all as I start the furniture: Don's plans show manual bilge pumps mounted to a bulkhead, port and starboard in reach of the helm, so you can always pump from the high side, even as you sail. For $200 and the extra hassle, would you install them? My current manual bilge pump is a sponge and cut-off detergent bottle. Don's set-up seems really nice--any sail & oar types have opinions on HOW nice it would be? Thanks,

Tom

Looking good. I remember this stage (finally turned over) with fondness...

I've made up both bilge pump backing pieces, installed the vertical one (#45 on Drawing 3) but not the horizontal one (it's done after the pumps are mounted). It's easy enough to engage the self-steering and operate the kayak pump with two hands (or the sponge for that matter).

Nice work Tom!
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

darroch,

what do you use for self steering? A tiller comb?

And did you seal off the thwarts water-tight to make air/storage chambers, or just fill them with foam? I'm planning to make them sealed off, with PVC pipe epoxied in for limber holes. Not sure if I'll do vertical bulkhead hatches in them, or have hinged seat tops--probably the bulkhead hatches if I can fit my tent in them.

Any chance you'll be at the Port Townsend Boat Show in September with your Alaska? I'll be there this year for the first time and it'd be great to meet you (and your boat, of course...) Or do I remember that you have an aversion to crossing the border? Later,

Tom

I made a jamb cleat from a short piece of bronze half-round and fastened it to the bottom of the tiller just aft of the backrest. The bungee is led to the cars on the quarters.

My thwarts are filled with empty milk bottles - I replace them every couple of years. I think there's about 16 of them in total.

Don't think I'll get to PT this year but you'd be welcome if you made a detour north...

This first vid shows her pinched a bit (for safety), the second is tweaked a bit. Seems to hold her course pretty well.
    Sorry about the crappy video quality - I really just take them for myself to analyze later.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-pCpdfmRCk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YE346Ot4s3g
    Last edited by darroch; 08-05-2011 at 10:57 AM. Reason: add vid

darroch,

thanks for the videos--very motivating, that's for sure. Probably can't come that far north this year, but maybe one of these days. Later,

Tom

That's a good looking hull!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Hvalsoe View Post
    That's a good looking hull!
    Isn't it, though? The best feature of that hull, I think (and I've given it a lot of careful analysis) is how it doesn't show any of the mistakes that led up to it. Like, for instance, the one strip I tried to scarf as I screwed it to the molds, which caused an unsigtly bulge 3-4 strips later, which caused an angst-ridden few minutes of work with a Skil saw as I hacked it off, and hours more of re-planking to get back to where I started.

Or the transom: Don's construction plan has you make a temporary transom with notches for the gunwales, etc., so you can trim them flush, then build the real transom. I built the temporary transom, cut the notches carefully, bevelled it perfectly, and... Wait! Bevels??!! It didn't need to be bevelled, it's not getting planks over it. Oh, well--I cut the real transom perfectly, bevelled it with meticulous care, then cut the notches out with painstaking attention to precision and accuracy (the notches on the temporary transom were a tiny bit sloppy, but these were perfect), and... Wait!!!! Notches???!!?!?!?!? There aren't supposed to BE any notches in the real transom--the gunwales stop at the inside face, now that they're perfectly trimmed.

Yep, I'm more of a sailor than a builder, that's for sure...

Tom

I'm laughing but I feel your pain, my friend. I know it's more fun to just go ahead and figure things out yourself but I'd be happy to help you avoid time-wasting mistakes if you'd like. PM me if you don't want to go public.

Quote Originally Posted by WI-Tom View Post
    So, a question to you all as I start the furniture: Don's plans show manual bilge pumps mounted to a bulkhead, port and starboard in reach of the helm, so you can always pump from the high side, even as you sail. For $200 and the extra hassle, would you install them? My current manual bilge pump is a sponge and cut-off detergent bottle. Don's set-up seems really nice--any sail & oar types have opinions on HOW nice it would be? Thanks,

Tom
    Tom,

On Hornpipe I installed only 1 bilge pump with the pickup to the starboard side of the aft mast box under the aft seat. While it would not empty out the water as well while healed to port, I've only ever really used the bilge pump once the water level gets down toward the floor boards. For moving more water in a hurry, I carry a bailer made out of a plastic milk jug - handle left on but top cut off on one side so that it can scoop up nearly a gallon at one go.
    Last edited by AJZimm; 08-05-2011 at 07:04 PM. Reason: bad grammar
    Alex

"A man who is not afraid of the sea will soon be drowned, for he will be going out on a day he shouldn't. We do be afraid of the sea, and we only be drowned now and again" Aran Islands Fisherman

Alex and darroch,

thanks for replying. You both have excellent taste in boats, by the way.

Alex, I haven't looked at pictures of your boat as often; did you build the interior the way the plans show? Anything either of you would do differently now?

And darroch, I appreciate the offer of help. Most of my mistakes (transom included) are matters of execution rather than misunderstanding. I'm not sure I'm even capable of thinking far enough ahead to ask intelligent questions. If you have any thoughts about fitting out, I'd love to hear them; it doesn't seem confusing to me at this point, but I may be missing something.

Tom

I've said several times, at least to myself, that I should buy a set of Don's plans if only to absorb the detail and thought of matter.

Tom, I'm obviously projecting my dull-wittedness - you'll do fine fitting her out. I almost felt like a real boatbuilder during the next stages - using and sharpening the planes and chisels on a daily basis. I stuck to the plans pretty closely (out of an abundance of caution and a nagging fear of failure) and after six years of use I can't say I would have changed anything.

I hope you document the build through this thread, though - I'd love to re-live the process.

I had an Alaska for ten years and I think the only change I made was to add a small winch to a post that stuck in the mast position in the aft deck. Loved the two pumps. When people showed an interest in the boat(which was often as it's so beautiful} the pump idea was one of the first things I would show them.

the only change I made was to add a small winch to a post that stuck in the mast position in the aft deck. Loved the two pumps.
    Thanks for the input (Least Tern was yours, right? Beautiful boat); I'm curious--was the winch for beaching the boat? Yeah, I have a feeling I could get by without the pumps, but they seem like they'd provide a level of decadence andcomfort verging on the inappropriate for small open boats!

Now, a puzzler; if I make the thwart watertight with PVC tunnels glued in for limber holes, how to arrange the pump hoses? Any thoughts on that, anyone? Just give up on making that aft thwart fully sealed?

Tom

Thanks, Least Tern was my boat. I think she's one of the best and prettiest boats around. Actually the winch was for the foresheet. I ran the sheet from the rail block to the winch. It was more of a stubbing than a hauling winch since I didn't have a handle for it. The pump pickup hoses were just led to the opposite side of the cockpit area under the floorboards. I used the pvc pipe idea in my Myst but I sawed them in half first so they would move the most water.

I used the pvc pipe idea in my Myst but I sawed them in half first so they would move the most water.
    Yep, that's my plan (actually, Chuck Leinweber of Duckworks suggested it to me).

Another question: I happened to notice a few free-standing tents that would fit on Alaska's sleeping platform. Those of you who have slept aboard, do you think that would have any advantages/disadvantages compared to a custom boat tent? Seems simpler, and would give the option to sleep ashore without having any more gear. What do you think?

Tom
    Last edited by WI-Tom; 08-07-2011 at 08:44 PM.

Me again. I tried that with my Myst which is about a foot wider. I realized tents are designed to walked around while erected. I tried my tent with the boat on the trailer, otherwise I would have dropped half the pieces overboard and probably would have fallen in the water myself. I'm sure it could be done but it's an order of magnitude harder to do on a boat.

I realized tents are designed to walked around while erected
    Thanks; I wondered about that myself. If I decide to try out the freestanding type, I'll be sure to try setting the tent up without walking around it--maybe some of these new-fangled tents just kind of magically spring up and open when you open the bag. Sure they do...

Tom

Tom, when you say "seal" the aft thwart compartments do you mean permanently; i.e. with epoxy fillets or 'glass? I would be concerned about unwanted growth in the nether regions with no ability to inspect or clean, what to speak of repainting and repair.

Yesterday we were sailing in English Bay in the fugliest chop ever - square waves with four-foot holes in the middle, waves popping up out of nowhere and slopping into the boat - and only 5 - 8 knots of wind - an ugly combination in itself. After four hours of it we only had maybe a gallon of water. Once again, put the self-steering to use and pumped her out without losing any ground. If I were to be swamped I'd grab the bailer (the head with a strong rope attached) and give 'er.
    (40 gallons a minute compared to what, 2 or 3 with a one-inch hose?) Having said all that, two bilge pumps would look cool and that's got to be worth something.

If I could convince you the boom tent is a piece of cake to make and I know where you can get all the materials, what would your other concerns be?
    Last edited by darroch; 08-08-2011 at 08:00 PM. Reason: spelling

Tom, when you say "seal" the aft thwart compartments do you mean permanently; i.e. with epoxy fillets or 'glass? I would be concerned about unwanted growth in the nether regions with no ability to inspect or clean, what to speak of repainting and repair.
    Yep, but with removable hatches (2 in each compartment) for ventilation and storage of small-ish, absolutely must stay dry items inside. Haven't seen any problems with other boats doing that as long as you leave the hatches open when you're not sailing. The tops I'd maybe just bed and screw in for easier removal if that proved necessary later... not sure yet.

If I could convince you the boom tent is a piece of cake to make and I know where you can get all the materials, what would your other concerns be?
    Other than being spectaculary gifted at doing easy stuff very poorly, I like the idea of cutting the redundancy. With a freestanding tent I'd have the option of sleeping ashore without bringing other gear. And having never really slept aboard or set up a tent on a boat, I wondered if a freestanding tent might be easier and faster to rig than a special boat tent. Chipito suggests the opposite, though.

So where would I get the materials? And would you have patterns or drawings for your tent? And thanks for the videos, by the way; looks like the boat moves very well.

Tom

Tom - I just lost a long post. I'll try again.

I think the hatches are a good idea - I've thought of affixing a small box to the inside of the thwart web, with an access hatch, for the small stuff. Another winter project, maybe.

I'm always on the lookout for possible tents that would fit as well. It would be great even if you had a boom tent - you could set up the inside tent and leave the fly off if bugs were bad. I'd suggest a tent that opens fore and aft, though, so you have access to the anchor well and room to manouver with a canoe paddle if necessary, from either bow or stern.

Rather than hijack your thread, maybe I should start one for the tent and you can decide whether it will work for you in your cruising grounds.

Glad you like the videos - the self-steering makes me giddy...

I'm new to this forum, and I'm glad to find a number of Kurylko Alaska builders here. I completed the hull for "Sea Dog", my Alaska, and I couldn't wait to get it into the water before it was completed. I posted a thread with a picture and a video of my "Sea Trials" with "Sea Dog". If you're interested, you can find it here:
    http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...ferrerid=35133

I do hope that darroch starts a thread on the tent. If I am correct that darroch built Cintamani, I was very impressed with the pictures of his tent on Don K's website. When I reach the stage where I am ready to add the tent, I am hoping to be able to make a tent as good as that.

If Chipito is still watching here, I'd like to ask more about his bilge pumps. When I first saw the study plans for "Alaska", the bilge pumps were one of the first items that grabbed my attention. I though they were so cool, I bought a pair of pumps before I even started building the boat. I bought two Whale Gusher pumps with 1-1/2 inch hose connections that would pump 15 gallons per minute. (Much too big, I think.) When I finally built the hull, I thought the boat was too beautiful to mount those big ugly plastic pumps on. What kind of pumps did you use, and if possible can you give a source on where to get them? The beautiful pictures of Least Tern on Don Kurylko's website were an inspiration for me through the many years it took me to get my hull completed.

Bob D

Bob - somehow I missed your build and thread. She looks great!

Somewhere I've written a detailed description of the tent-making - I'll try to find it.
    Any more pics?

I am definitely interested in seeing pics of your tent construction, Darroch. I am in the process of designing one for Rowan right now, and I'd love to see the methods you employed for reference. Prob'ly ought to start a new thread for that one to avoid hijacking Tom's, though.

Edited to add: Here, I started one.
    Last edited by James McMullen; 02-10-2012 at 09:15 AM.

I don't mind a good hijack as long as I learn something. Right now my boat's in an unheated garage far away, with lots of interior furniture cut and fitted and just waiting for warm temps to start gluing, so this thread is on hold anyway. But I'll check out the tent thread--I'm leaning toward the idea of a small backpacking tent that I can set up aboard, but I'm not convinced that'll work. I'll definitely trailer my boat over to REI this spring/summer and try it out with a bunch of different tents to see what (if anything) fits, and can be set up from INSIDE the boat.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by WI-Tom View Post
    I don't mind a good hijack as long as I learn something. Right now my boat's in an unheated garage far away, with lots of interior furniture cut and fitted and just waiting for warm temps to start gluing, so this thread is on hold anyway. But I'll check out the tent thread--I'm leaning toward the idea of a small backpacking tent that I can set up aboard, but I'm not convinced that'll work. I'll definitely trailer my boat over to REI this spring/summer and try it out with a bunch of different tents to see what (if anything) fits, and can be set up from INSIDE the boat.

Tom
    Tom,

There's no question that you'll be able to find something that works. You don't even really need to put the tent on the boat. Most manufacturers have footprints and dimensions available on their sites. I'd spring for a good one though. If you've ever been inside a tent that's getting flattened by the wind, or had tent poles snap because they weren't up to it, you can appreciate spending a few extra bucks on a good one. I do like James' suggestion of dual entrances fore and aft or at least fore to check the anchor. Just focus your search on something with less than 54" of width on the tent--easily accomplished with most two person backpacking tents.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Dan St Gean View Post
    Tom,

There's no question that you'll be able to find something that works. You don't even really need to put the tent on the boat. Most manufacturers have footprints and dimensions available on their sites.
    Dan,

the issue isn't whether it'll fit on the boat, but whether it will be possible to actually set it up on board without being able to walk around the tent on all sides. See post #23 above.

Another issue is, do I want to spend a hundred dollars and up on a backpacking tent when a custom boat tent could be made much more cheaply? A ready-made tent would also be good for sleeping ashore, and the separate tent/fly combination seems advantageous--better than the "tarp over the boom" approach.

Tom