Thread: Amanda -- New 12-foot sailing skiff from B&B Yacht Designs

Default Amanda -- New 12-foot sailing skiff from B&B Yacht Designs

I recently ran across a new design from Graham Byrnes at B&B Yacht designs ... I haven't seen it discussed here, so I thought I'd start a thread. Amanda is a very nice-looking little 12-foot v-bottomed sailing skiff, available as plans or a kit. Has anyone here sailed one?

More here: http://www.bandbyachtdesigns.com/mandy.htm

Default Re: Amanda -- New 12-foot sailing skiff from B&B Yacht Designs

I like how many small boat designers have been incorporating all of the advantages of the modern lug rig in their newer designs.

James,

Why do you call that a "modern" lug rig? To my eye, other than the modern sailcloth, there's nothing about that rig that you wouldn't have found on a 1930's era British dinghy. The photographs that I have seen of the Amazon (or Mavis), the dinghy that was partly Ransome's inspiration for the Swallows and Amazons stories, show a high peaked lug of essentially the same proportions. And I've seen plenty of other similar rigs on dinghys in pictures in older British books. It seems to have been quite a common rig on small pleasure craft across the pond in the first half of the last century.

I agree that there has been a resurgence in the popularity of the rig, mostly due to Iren's and Oughtred's use of it on their beautiful designs.

Bob

PS And, to not change the focus of the thread, the Amanda is a sweet looking dinghy, and you can count on Graham's designs to be fast and efficient.
    Last edited by dredbob; 07-25-2011 at 10:35 PM.

It's the modern sailcloth and the modern low-stretch line that makes a modern lugsail transformatively better than so many other small boat rigs, whether updated or traditional. A modern lug takes great advantage of materials advances in cloth stability and sail shaping while retaining all of the handiness and convenience that it's ever had.

Yes, a low-stretch halyard and downhaul allows you to suck that boom down tighter than a gnats gnavel. I'm no old salt, just a recently self-taught duffer. It's my experience, though, that more ability to control sail shape allows for better (sometimes startlingly better) performance - esp. upwind. I've been surprised at what boats my little Goat Island Skiff - which incorporates modern thinking about lug sails - will walk away from (even with a neophyte like me on the tiller).
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    ...the advantages of the modern lug rig in their newer designs.
    I like how the there is a modern fashion for the use of lug rigs in recently issued designs. In smaller unballasted boats, like this skiff, lug rigs have an advantage in that they have a lower center of effort which causes less overturning moment than triangular sails. In this case am a bit surprised to see a standing lug sail rig, when it looks to me that there is plenty of room to use a balanced lug rig which could have set the same amount of sailcloth and achieved an even lower center of effort, and even less tension on the mainsheet.

Looking at this more closely, I am not sure this rig can be called a standing lug proper, because the foot of the sail is loose of the boom. What kind of lug rig would this be called?

As far as I know, a lug sail can be loose-footed or not.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    As far as I know, a lug sail can be loose-footed or not.
    Well, I like to learn things every day. It seems that there are three basic types of lug sails, Standing, Balance, and Dipping. The Amanda uses a Standing, and the Standing lug is classically loose footed, but boom spars are used (but are unusual).

I've always understood the distinction between a balanced and standing lug differently.

From what I've read, the difference has less to do with the presence or absence of a boom than with angle and position of the sail's luff.

In a balanced lug, the luff is more or less vertical, and the foot of the sail extends a fair bit forward of the mast. On a standing lug, the foot of the sail does NOT extend forward of the mast, and thus the luff is angled forward from the mast to the yard.

(But either way, I very much like the rig on Amanda ... it's one of the things that's appealing about the boat.)

Here's an example of a balanced lug on one of Jim Michalak's boats ...

And here's the standing lug on Amanda ...

Last edited by Steve Paskey; 07-27-2011 at 06:57 AM.

Steve,

That matches my understanding.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Concur.

She's a fabulous boat. Graham and daughter helped three families build three Mandys as part of Family BoatBuilding at the WoodenBoat Show last month. Last week, Graham was teaching here at the WoodenBoat School, and today he's taking Mandy up to participate in the Small Reach Regatta. I'm sure we'll hear (read) about that here on the Forum in a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Paskey View Post
    I've always understood the distinction between a balanced and standing lug differently...
    And, a dipping lug is very similar to a balanced lug without a boom, except the tack of the sail goes to the windward rail on the deck.

It is interesting to read this 1891 description of lugsails. Which basically says that boom spars on standing lugsails are rare. Today, I cannot recall of a modern designer who doesn't routinely use a boom on a standing lug sail. Go figure!

But, wouldnt it be a good idea to use a wang. I personally hate the rolling of a dinghy going downhill with a twisted sail.

Ahh, I can see on other photos that they have thought of using a wang themselves.

Its a sweet little boat. A bit to boxy for my taste but nice lines and a nice rig.