Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: mosquitoes

Downingtown Pa (S/V Andantino down in Rock Hall, Md)

Default Re: mosquitoes

We use Avon Skin So Soft.

but what works best is standing next to my fiance, because the bugs eat her like she's made of candy

-Thad
    There is a joy in madness, that only mad men know. -Nieztsche

Horsey friends swear by a mozzie repellent for horses. Doesn't seem to be a branded product, it's cheap and smells of cedar oil. Looks and feels like cold cream. Don't know the active ingredient. Good for sand flies too.

Quote Originally Posted by CapnJ2ds View Post
    Interesting. Wonder where they breed up there?
    The streams and pools in the Domain, p'raps. Or clogged roof gutters on all the old houses with wrinkle-tin roofs. I never found them a general problem, compared to sandflies on the west coast.

In the course of my roaming, I found that one might escape the worst mozzies in the vicinity of a stream by wading out to exposed sand or gravel bars to find a sleeping spot. Which accords with your comment on the stilt villages. Evidently, they love the edges of the water while not caring to fly far over open or moving water.

whatever rocks your boat

Watch the "tied up at night" scene in the "African Queen" and slap.

I feed my Friends Bannanas and I eat a lot of Garlic!

I'm like elf , 6 years ago I visited South Carolina , and I still have itchy scares . It wasn't bad till we walked in the woods , then they eat us alive

They can be scared off with such natural remedies as basil, peppermint, lemon balm, wormwood, and tansy. Cranesbill in a pot will also frighten mosquitoes away, especially if you shake it in the evening for better smell evolution. Here are some tips on how to protect from their bites. Hope it will come in handy. But in our area the only thing that can stop mosquitoes are screens. There is plenty of them, especially when there is no wind near the shore.

TinyShiny is right. I've taken to Cape Cod All Natural - basicly Aloe Vera base with lemongrass, eucalyptus and peppermint essential oils - which seems good for ticks, no-see-ums, greenheads, and mosquitoes. If I bothered to go to an excellent lower Cape spice shop, I could get the ingredients and make my own for a fraction the price and perhaps tweek it. Anyway, turns out there's a ton of good info through google.

I run 2 large Flowtron bug zapping lights with a mosquito attractant. 80w/120v supposed to cover 1.5 acre. One on each end of an 83' boat. Hung over the water, fish attracted to the light eat the zapped bugs and hang around for fishing in the morning. If I anchor somewhere for a week or more, there's a sizable decrease in the bug population. I've been many places like the African Queen experienced. Mostly remote Alaska with few, if any other boats. The lights make it comfortable and the mosquito attractant is the key to mosquitoes. Attractant is good for about 30 days.

Anchor a long way off shore ?
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Anchor enough away to miss them is our policy ,I laugh like a drain when the late guy comes in , snugs in front of everyone right up to the shore , usually mucking up someones swing room. he's going to get bit.

in Fiji last year we were concerned with the various nasty mosquito bourne stuff so in harbour we ran mesh, citronella and fans. The problem with the mesh is it killed any air flow there was so we nearly expired from heat a couple of times. So on went the fan.
    I like the decoy light idea, thats cool. One of the collateral effects is the fish life , our friends had a manta feeding and tapping their rudder last year because of a blue transom light. Dial a manta ray, right in musket cove.
    I also 'heard' that a container of good ole vicks vaporub left open is a disincentive,..... whether that could be tolerated or not, that is the question.

Can you get DEET based repellent they work well. We typically get then in a range of 10- 80 % concentrations.
    Not everyone like them but they work. Also known to react with some synthetics

I’ve tried a mix of Listerine, witch hazel and a few drops of tea Tree oil. Works well for our voracious no-see-ems.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Of course, you only need one or two in the cabin to spoil a nights sleep. Then in daylight the ones that survive go off and hide in some corner so they can plan for the next night.

I guess I was deprived as a youth. My only cruising experiences were in the San Juans/Gulf Islands and we didn't have any problems with mozzies Now, Backpacking in the Cascades...that's a different story and involved gallons of DEET.

Cascades, sounds like tramping in parts of the south island. I can remember putting my pack down and all the red canvas sections turning black in seconds.
    Zq

Yeh Hiking in late summer can be a weight loss experience in places. Up on the Pacific Crest Trail it's mostly OK, but get down around any of the lakes and bogs and you can chuck a rock into the bush and watch the black cloud form.

In the 90's Georgetown Island (Maine) was a mosquito paradise. Because there are both bogs & mud flats, it got double the mosquitoes. When camping, getting up first thing in the AM, & going out of the tent, even slathered with deet, you couldn't breathe through your nose, but had to breathe through the mouth, holding teeth against lip to filter out the critters. One breath could contain 20+ of the little buggers.

It's way better now (not sure why), but in the mooring field, you can hear the hatches slam shut on every boat about 1/2 hour before sunset as folks move from the cockpit to the screened cabin.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

In the Northern Great Lakes, the routine is to dive below before sunset, put heavily-built screens in place, tape up all the cracks. The only problem that remains is the banging on the hatches, and all that whining....

Permethrin infused clothing works very well. Various brands of clothing sell it, look for an appellation called InsectShield. Permethrin is poison in the liquid state but once dried it's inert. I wear this type of clothing (socks, pants, shirt) when I walk my dogs in the woods. A little dab of deet on the remaining exposed flesh and I haven't been bit all season. I take these measures because the woods around here abound with Lyme infected ticks. This also defends very well against mosquitoes. I'd rather take my chances with poison than with Lyme.
    Last edited by Dusty Yevsky; 08-04-2018 at 03:35 PM.

While cruising in SW Florida I had screens velcroed to cover the hatch openings. That worked well. One night anchored in the Thousand Islands I had a citronella candle bellowing smoke through the screened hatch which was covered black with mosquitoes. So not a fan of citronella. As for Skin so Soft, it seemed to work for no-see-ums, but got so I couldn't tolerate the smell of the stuff.
    Steve B
    TraditionalSmallCraft.com
    RIVUS 16' Melonseed
    PAYTON 13' Pea Pod

"If a man must be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." E. B. White