Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mosquitoes

Default mosquitoes

What do people do about mosquitoes at night when anchored?
    A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

Photographer of sailing and sailboats
    And other things, too.
    http://www.landsedgephoto.com

Default Re: mosquitoes

I used to smoke a pipe. I blame MaryEllen's asthma for my current lack of that wonderful remedy. Citrinela candels are sometimes unpleasant but less so that coving with something deety. I've not seen the good old "Woodsman's Bug Dope" that was, I think, pretty much pine tar and camphor, worked great, had a smell you either loved or loathed, and didn't put your own metabolism out of whack the way deet does.

But out at Chatham these last few weeks, I've resorted to deet laden stuff to counter the marsh greenheads in day, the mosquitos from dusk on, and the no-see-ums after dark.

http://ca.shine.yahoo.com/the-best-w...ito-bites.html

Asian tiger mosquito, sounds scary.
    basil

Isn't there an effective way to create a screen "door"?
    A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

And other things, too.

Not in an open cockpit enjoying the stars overhead. Unless one wants to make the mother of all mosqitoe nets, which unfortunatly blocks the breeze.

One can not survive without screens in Florida. You make them or have them made and carry other things with you in addition, like insect repellant, mosquito coils, oil and rags for wiping down screens(no-see-ums). Anchor off shore where the breeze is. Get a 12v fan. Don't forget a big bottle of alcohol and cotton balls to help with the itchy bites, or Benadryl.
    Last edited by pefjr; 07-24-2011 at 04:57 PM.

In Maine, it's screens. When the no-see-ums are out, it's deet on the screens. About sunset, you go below. Period.

I miss old time woodsmans. While not perfect, it worked quite well & nowhere near as nasty as deet. I'm one of the ones who likes the smell.

I'll never forget taking my SO down to the Cape for the first time on the boat. Until that time she'd only sailed in Maine. When I set up the cockpit table for dinner she looked at me & said "You can stay outside in the evening here?!?". I've never seen such a big smile.
    Last edited by Garret; 07-24-2011 at 04:02 PM. Reason: Had to capitalize "Cape"

Good boats have screens in the hatches, portlights, dorades and companionways. There's always the hawse.

Still have mosquitoes in Cape Cod, Elf?

The worst mosquito chow-down I ever suffered was camping on the beach about 15 miles south of Provincetown. ( A town of much gaiety.)
    basil

Our worst mosquito attack was on our honeymoon. We find a beautiful little empty cove just below Essex on the Conn River and decided on a fresh water dip just before sunset. They took over the cabin while we were in the water.

Even with all screens in place it was an all night battle to retake the cabin. But I should have realized what would happen because of all the swamp around us and lack of breeze.

The best solution to mosquitos is to pick a windy anchorage.

Or move to Tennessee where we sleep in the cockpit all summer thanks to purple martins and swallows and the lowering of the lakes in winter which somehow makes the lake mosquito-free.

On my father's sailboat there was a screen that fit into the companionway in place of the usual boards. That took care of the biggest opening the mosquitoes used to get into the cabin. It was not the easiest thing to get out past since you had to lift it up to get it out of the way, but it worked well enough for us. I'd imagine that what is workable would very much depend on the details of the particular boat.

Yup -

We have companionway doors - but a screen that slides in behind them - so you can keep 'em open for ventilation. The forward hatch & all portholes have screens as do dorades that lead into the cabin (as Gareth mentions & an easy one to miss. Our hawsepipe goes into a comparment completely separated from the cabin, so we don't have to worry about that. At least in ME, everything must get screened or closed.

Screens in companionway, hatches, ports, and a towel over the manhole grill in the cockpit floor.

Deets.
    Jay

On Magic in Maine, I had a screen that velcro'd into the forward hatch opening. Fitting that and starting a mosquito coil inside kept 'em out of the interior and suppressed them in the cockpit. We were usually able to eat in the cockpit before retreating below and fitting the c-way screen. More coils would permit a holding action in the cockpit.
    One notable exception was Small Point, ME where we were forced below before dark.

They don't bother either of us much, and if they do bite there's not much reaction from me unless I'm unwell. We have two species at least locally. But I find they do fly round my face and that can annoy especially if you are doing something complex. Further north they carry an Encephalitis and much further up they can carry Dengue fever.

I sit very close to my wife, they love her!

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

I only get mosquitoes hauled out in the boatyard in the Caribbean. They are not nearly as aggressive as Yankee bugs, but they carry Dengue.
    A mosquito killed my friend Mad Dog St John last year!
    I break out the electric fan over the bunk, even if the Honda needs to run all night.

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    I only get mosquitoes hauled out in the boatyard in the Caribbean. They are not nearly as aggressive as Yankee bugs, but they carry Dengue.
    A mosquito killed my friend Mad Dog St John last year!
    I break out the electric fan over the bunk, even if the Honda needs to run all night.
    That was one of the nice things about cruising in the Bahamas back in the day. Only a few mosquitoes in a few places.

Deet to the right of us, Deet to the left of us, volleyed and thundered.

;-)
    Gerard>
    ​Freeland, WA

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic and stop the madness. Save the country.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    They don't bother either of us much, and if they do bite there's not much reaction from me unless I'm unwell. We have two species at least locally. But I find they do fly round my face and that can annoy especially if you are doing something complex. Further north they carry an Encephalitis and much further up they can carry Dengue fever.
    My understanding is that this is one area where there is a big difference between the more temperate latitudes and the more tropical latitudes. In the more tropical latitudes you may well not actually see all that many mosquitoes but they can carry some fairly nasty diseases so people tend to be much more cautious around them. In the more temperate latitudes there are a great many places where you can get a couple of dozen bites on a brief evening stroll and especially as you get into the colder, wetter regions, many places where killing multiple mosquitoes with one swat is fairly normal. On the other hand, for most people in more temperate latitudes the only result of a mosquito bite is a spot that itches a little for an hour or two and is gone by morning. The idea that a mosquito bite might make you feel ill, let alone get really sick, is pretty foreign.

It may be foreign, Bruce, but you just moved North from the land of equine encephalitis scares and aerial spraying to kill mosquitoes. And neither you nor I live in tropical climes!

And for me, the result of a mosquito bite is a week of periodic crazy itching and scars left 20 years later from my scratching. Fleas are only worse.

Some are much more sensitive to those bites than others.

And other things, too.

Clip On Repeller

I don't know about this product from personal experience, but it might bear looking into. I use Deet based stuff if the going gets thick and it works for me, but the combination of bug repellant, sun screen (which I need as well) and a bit of sweat can be rather unpleasant. This combo (sun screen/deet/sweat) is common up here in the northern climes in summer, when the sun doesn't set until late.

Quote Originally Posted by Lew Barrett View Post
    Clip On Repeller

I don't know about this product from personal experience, but it might bear looking into. I use Deet based stuff if the going gets thick and it works for me, but the combination of bug repellant, sun screen (which I need as well) and a bit of sweat can be rather unpleasant. This combo (sun screen/deet/sweat) is common up here in the northern climes in summer, when the sun doesn't set until late.
    The wife bought a clip on and judges it as fair to midlin if you sit, not so good if moving around. That was in Idaho in summer and in moderate mosquitoes.

Elf, you need to live in the desert, no mosquitoes here. I might have seen 3 or 4 in 16 yrs.

Avon Skin So Soft, supplemented by screens, candles and/or smoking paraphernalia works well enough on the skeeters and no-see-ums.

But the green flies? Sacrifice a virgin! Nothing seems to work!

K
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

1/4" (7 mm) wetsuit does.....

Quote Originally Posted by pefjr View Post
    The wife bought a clip on and judges it as fair to midlin if you sit, not so good if moving around. That was in Idaho in summer and in moderate mosquitoes.

Elf, you need to live in the desert, no mosquitoes here. I might have seen 3 or 4 in 16 yrs.
    Seattle's good too. You need all the help you can get as you go further north. The further north you go, the worse it seems to be.

Aboard my boat in an Auckland, NZ, Marina.

Mozzies aren't a problem here in Auckland, but where I comes from in the Marlborough Sounds they were. Used to keep a kindling axe (hatchet) handy in the cockpit for evening drinkies time.

I hears tell that down in Fiordland they use a big splitting axe.

"The truth shall make ye fret" - Terry Pratchett

Thanks for the suggestion, Bud. I'll keep that in mind if I ever get to the point where I don't require the smell of the ocean to remain alive!

And other things, too.

Quote Originally Posted by elf View Post
    It may be foreign, Bruce, but you just moved North from the land of equine encephalitis scares and aerial spraying to kill mosquitoes. And neither you nor I live in tropical climes!

And for me, the result of a mosquito bite is a week of periodic crazy itching and scars left 20 years later from my scratching. Fleas are only worse.

Some are much more sensitive to those bites than others.
    Good points. I never worried to much about Eastern Equine Encephalitis since ones chance of getting it seemed to be about on par with ones chances of getting hit by lightning. So, that never seemed all that similar to the situation in tropical areas where your chances of getting something bad from a mosquito bite seem to be much worse.

It is very true that some people are much more sensitive to mosquito bites than others are. I feel bad for folks like you who itch like crazy for a week!

Very true as well that spraying in more urban/suburban areas is a major reason why there are not more mosquitoes in many areas. This only makes more clear my point that vast swarms of mosquitoes are darn near the norm in the summer in temperate (non-desert climates).

Certainly mosquitoes are pretty rare in the "hard-core" desert and it makes camping there pretty nice (of course there are also the cactuses, rattlesnakes, scorpions, etc!). However, I have encounter swarms of mosquitoes in areas that to a New Englander look pretty darn desert-like such as Desolation Canyon along the Green River in Utah.

Quote Originally Posted by CapnJ2ds View Post
    Mozzies aren't a problem here in Auckland, but where I comes from in the Marlborough Sounds they were. Used to keep a kindling axe (hatchet) handy in the cockpit for evening drinkies time.

I hears tell that down in Fiordland they use a big splitting axe.

There are mozzies in Auckland. Where we lived, in Grafton on top of the hill, by the Hospital and the Domain, they were active enough to keep us awake. We bought one of those wee plug-in foggers.

But for cabin boats, good screens that fit tight are a help. High thread-count clothing (cotton or supplex nylon) shields the body, and a dash of repellent keeps them off the face, hands and feet. At night, a high-thread count cotton sheet will deter them, as long as you stay under it and tuck in the edges. In very buggy areas, I've slept with a headnet. Awkward, but better than having the bloody wee devils dancing on the tip of your nose all night.

Wow I had no idea that Mosquitos were so prevalent in northern climes.We have the Asian tiger brand here and they are active in the daytime. Native browns are active at night.Deet seems to be the most effective repellent. CDC agrees with this as we get this info at work since we now fly to so many malaria endemic areas (yellow fever and dengue as well.)

Aboard my boat in an Auckland, NZ, Marina.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip-skiff View Post
    There are mozzies in Auckland. Where we lived, in Grafton on top of the hill, by the Hospital and the Domain, they were active enough to keep us awake..
    Interesting. Wonder where they breed up there? I've lived in West Auckland (Massey, Whenuapai & Hobsonville) since I died and went to Hell, and haven't found mozzies about much. ("Westie's" skins too thick for the mozzies to find them appetising?) Despite it being carved out of the middle of a mangrove swamp, there's been no mozzie problem at Westpark Marina in the ten years I've been living here; damned spiders, yes, and once, weirdly a swarm of small moths, but hardly a mozzie. Oh, and a ration of one fly per day in the summer. Kill it and another shows up within a few hours - but only one????

Out cruising in the Gulf I've found spots where mozzies are a nuisance on the beach, and sometimes when visiting boats anchored close in. Being single-handed I tend to anchor well out, so don't usually have a problem on my own boat.

Yonks ago I met a bloke who had been on a medical/scientific expedition to a Melanesian region (PNG? Solomons? Can't remember.) investigating malaria. They went to a place where the local villages were built on stilts way out in the lagoons, on the insides of fringing coral reefs. The prevailing theory threabouts was that the villages were built out there to be away from head-hunters from the interior, but said head-hunters could and did use canoes so could have easily made the trip. the stilt villages were malaria free, and our intrepid explorers discovbered that the villages were out of mosquito flying range from the shore.
    "The truth shall make ye fret" - Terry Pratchett

We use what's branded as "Autan" in Germany. Stinks but works. Has been tested by a non-profit consumer association ("Stiftung Warentest") and found to be one of the very few effective commercial products.
    When in Sweden many years ago, we found that "Autan" unfortunately attracted flies, so that while you were not being eaten alive by mosquitoes, your were always enveloped in a swarm of small flies whenever out in the bush.
    I grew up in Trinidad and slept without a net or repellents for 12+ years without any problems except for the occasional itchy bite, but that was before the arrival and spread of dengue fever.
    We live near woods and lakes, have a small pond in the garden and had over-much rain this (so-called) summer. Surprisingly the mosquitoes have not been a real problem up to now. Perhaps something to do with the extremely long and cold preceding winter.

Gernot H.