Thread: 12' rowboats on Craigslist

Default 12' rowboats on Craigslist

City of Vancouver BC has about 10-12 clinker built rowboats at $200 each for sale as is. Former lifeguard boats. Might make handsome tenders restored. Don't know about the price. maybe someone can talk some sense into them. I had a chance to look at them briefly. I'm no expert but several might be worth investing some time in. Handsome boats. Bronze fastenings. Craigslist has pics. I have more. They go to the dumpster July 19.

John O'Neill

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/va...467510560.html

Default Re: 12' rowboats on Craigslist

Please post your pics.

Thanks for posting. These lookat least worth exploring to me. Cheap date if you are in town, even better if you get lucky!

Someone might get a deal that could be a fun project.

Wow, they look pretty sweet. I would jump on one of those for $200. Wish they would do that around here...
    - Bill T.

"How many politically-correct people does it take to screw in a light-bulb?"

"Look, I don't know, but that's not funny."

These are a steal @ twice the price. They row like a dream.
    basil

"A belief exists that they may have some value to wooden boat restorers."
    That's the line I like, "A belief.......".

Two hundred bucks eh? I wonder..................
    Last edited by skuthorp; 07-10-2011 at 06:58 AM.

Not that I need another boat but I sure hope they all go to good homes. If someone dumpster dives these things bring one my way. I can't get over to Vancouver for a while though.

There are still all 16 of them and the opinion at the yard is that they are junk.

However given the comments, I was quite amazed at how good condition they were still in: The worst have highly weathered paint with either broken gunwale(s), or stems, or loose garboards, or broken off skeg, but I did not see much if any damage caused by rot (one transom possibly). Some mishaping due to broken gunwales and haphazard, jumbled storage. [I have no space or allowed leeway(heh heh) for more projects, but it would be a shame to lose this little bit of Vancouver beachfront history. ]

(even with cleaning, I also could not read that single maker's mark)

There are 2 types with detail variations: the most common one of 1/4" (seemed a fraction more)plywood at about 4'-4" wide and the other at 4'-10" wide built of cedar planking.

some woodwork, but mainly stripping and repainting required:

interior views:

every single one looks interesting to my eyes.
    Anyway at this stage, I bet a $10 offer would get a considered reply.

I've been looking for a 12'er for Carlotta so I had two friends (both shipwrights) check them out earlier this week. Of the 16 of them, 14 are junk. There is one plywood planked boat and one cedar planked boat (possibly a Turner boat) that were in better shape than the others - but both still needed : new inwales, outwales, sheerplanks, breasthook, transom, knees, and the odd plank and possibly keels too. Soooo much paint on them that it is hard to see the condition of the frames. And they were badly warped and bent out of shape.
    So I passed.

Well, compared to Carlotta or the like, those boats wouldn't even pass muster when they came out the door. My comments are about getting a serviceable painted wood boat with repair rather than the expense (or justification) of parts replacement. They never were quality boats.

However my essential opinion is still held (especially the worthiness of preserving one of each), but I am certainly no shipwright.

Update! City of Vancouver has re-posted the offer as of July 22. Leads me to believe they didn't dumpster the boats after the 18th like they said they would.
    http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/va...507788145.html