Thread: Concordia Yawl and Owner Lost at Sea

Default Concordia Yawl and Owner Lost at Sea

Ron Perry and Halcyon (Concordia Yawl #3) were lost at sea in early May. The family has posted an obituary:

http://concordiayawl.com/News_and_Events_H6L8.php

Ron Purchased Halcyon with the dream of sailing the Caribbean in her. This is the first of the 103 Concordias built that is known to have been lost. He leaves behind a loving family and will be greatly missed by them.
    * _______________________________________ )

Default Re: Concordia Yawl and Owner Lost at Sea

Condolances for his family, who seem to understand that sometimes dying too young is not so bad if in living the dream.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian McColgin View Post
    Condolances for his family, who seem to understand that sometimes dying too young is not so bad if in living the dream.
    I emailed him a few times. He was living a dream and very happy. Sorry to loose him and sorry that the first Concordia has been lost. Both were irreplaceable.

My condolences to his family, and a pang at the loss of a beautiful yacht. May they have fair winds.
    Await dreams, loves, life; | There is always tomorrow. | Until there is not.

Grieving love unsaid. | Tomorrow will fail someday. | Tell them today, OK?

I looked at that boat when Thorpe Leeson was selling her. Too much of a project for me. She might still exist, at sea or in Cuba. I'm sorry for the family. I'm glad he lived to sail.

Really sad news. I hope peace can be found in knowing Ron was living his dream.

Quote Originally Posted by johngsandusky View Post
    I looked at that boat when Thorpe Leeson was selling her. Too much of a project for me. She might still exist, at sea or in Cuba. I'm sorry for the family. I'm glad he lived to sail.
    Sadly, I'm pretty confident she was lost. She was spotted with tattered sails suggesting that she had been unattended for several hours. Also, her bilge pump went on about once every 10 minutes. Given how long she was likely adrift when spotted, her battery was near run down if not already dead. Once the pump stops working, It wouldn't take long. They did search the coast and there was no evidence of her landfall.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

When I think of a boat that can sail 600 miles upwind in the Caribbean, a Concordia Yawl does not come to mind.
    Driving a speedboat , drunk , at night, is dangerous. So is this.
    I'm sorry, don't mean to sound harsh.

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    When I think of a boat that can sail 600 miles upwind in the Caribbean, a Concordia Yawl does not come to mind.
    Driving a speedboat , drunk , at night, is dangerous. So is this.
    I'm sorry, don't mean to sound harsh.
    Having never been in blue water in mine, I cannot attest to this, but they are considered very stable and good sea boats though a bit wet. There are several that have crossed the Atlantic numerous times, and one that has well traveled the Pacific if not a full circumnavigation. Numerous of the class have raced in the Newport-Bermuda. there has been at least one (often much more than that) in every race for the Onion Patch since 1954 (two have won overall, 1954 & 1978 and in the 1978 even another Concordia came in Second overall) - some of these events have been in very adverse conditions.
    Last edited by Concordia 33; 07-11-2011 at 11:25 AM.

This is so sad. Did he have self-steering gear of some kind? Concordias can be single handed but that's a very long trip to make alone. I hope he wasn't taking the proverbial leak over the side and fell in.
    “So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”

He would not have needed a steering gear as the trip is upwind. Against 20 knot east trades, 10-15 ' seas, and a knot of current.
    I have done it twice. One trip was 24 days ,non stop beating, Panama to St Maarten. It will break a normal boat.

Hope his death was painless and swift.
    Thoughts of healing to the family.

He would not have needed a steering gear as the trip is upwind. Against 20 knot east trades, 10-15 ' seas, and a knot of current.
    I have done it twice. One trip was 24 days ,non stop beating, Panama to St Maarten. It will break a normal boat.
    He was in or near the strait between Haiti Cuba headed northerly - would those conditions have occurred there?

Please let me back up a bit and apologise for any confusion. I was not comparing Ron Perry to the speedboat opperater who was killed on the East coast from another thread. Nor am I knocking the Concordia Yawl. I am simply saying it is a dangerous piece of water and what WE do is dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by Concordia 33 View Post
    He was in or near the strait between Haiti Cuba headed northerly - would those conditions have occurred there?
    Yes, the only direction one CAN go is north or south, with a little hard won easting on each tack. His boat was to the south of Cuba, as I read it.

Yes, the only direction one CAN go is north or south, with a little hard won easting on each tack. His boat was to the south of Cuba, as I read it.
    yes, but advancing through the strait

Why do the good leave us too soon?
    God's Speed.

Jay

If he'd set out from Jamaica on a South Easterly, he would have had a hard close reach, then if he had got through the windward passage he'd be pretty likely to have a downwind sail to Florida. The trades are not as predictable as they used to be, but waiting for a SE er would have been my tactic.

There but for grace go I
    Last edited by Hwyl; 07-11-2011 at 07:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hwyl View Post
    If he'd set out from Jamaica on a South Easterly, he would have had a hard close reach, then if he had got through the windward passage he'd be pretty likely to have a downwind sail to Florida. The trades are not as predictable as they used to be, but waiting for a SE er would have been my tactic.

There but for grace go I
    Sounds like you have experience in these matters?

Quote Originally Posted by Concordia 33 View Post
    Sadly, I'm pretty confident she was lost. She was spotted with tattered sails suggesting that she had been unattended for several hours. Also, her bilge pump went on about once every 10 minutes. Given how long she was likely adrift when spotted, her battery was near run down if not already dead. Once the pump stops working, It wouldn't take long. They did search the coast and there was no evidence of her landfall.
    Where did this info come from. Is this fact?

Concordias seem to be in the news in a negative way lately. Too bad. They're beautiful. Fire, foundering..... Let's hope this is it.
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

New article in Woodenboat about this. Basically a good-bye to Halcyon. I never caught that the Navy went back to where they first spotted her and she was gone.
    Chuck Thompson

1955 18' Chris Craft Continental
    1950 30' Chris Craft Express
    1955 Concordia Yawl #26 (under restoration)